Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
It obviously wasn’t the US. Absolutely no need. The gas isn’t flowing through those pipes now anyway and the EU is in a good place ahead of winter and has moved away from Russian gas. This was a warning shot from the Russians - the Norwegian supply gets cut and it’s fecking chaos:

Rajma

Btw reuters are the lowest of the low, I advise you to avoid them as a news source due to strong links with Kremlin.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
They had to already backtrack and apologize (with public statements) for a lot of misreporting on Ukraine. This happens so regularly this is definitely anything but a coincidence.
Examples?

Rajma

Examples?
Just a handful I was able to find off the back of quick search but the pattern is evident and the angle they’re purposefully pushing.
Putin helping to export grain from Ukraine?
Russian armed forces = Ukrainian rebels?
Kherson separatists?

The Purley King

To anyone more knowledgeable than me please.

if the damage to the gas line is deliberate, what does that mean in terms of a possible reaction?

my view is that it’s going to mean explicit conflict between nato and Russia.

please convince me otherwise

Jotun

if the damage to the gas line is deliberate, what does that mean in terms of a possible reaction?

It can't be proved that's russia. Also damaging pipelines might not be enough to trigger article 5, or be considered an attack. If an attack is in NATO waters, then yeah, it's an attack, but if it's in international waters, I'm not sure.

Revan

Assumptionman

This one? Nothing at all. It wasn’t functioning anyway (cause Russia weaponized their gas export), and Europe was/is preparing without the Russian gas.

Almost surely it was a message that they might do this to the Norway pipeline. In which case, I assume NATO would escalate too cause that would be a total act of war.

The Purley King

It can't be proved that's russia. Also damaging pipelines might not be enough to trigger article 5, or be considered an attack. If an attack is in NATO waters, then yeah, it's an attack, but if it's in international waters, I'm not sure.
If it is deliberate then surely the only possible option is Russia? I’m not buying that a nato country would have done it in order to escalate.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

Russia owns the Nord stream lines I think

Basically they broke their own stuff... (The implication being if we can do that we could take out other lines) but I don't think a NATO Russia conflict will happen over them breaking their own stuff

Russia declaring the Donbas part of Russia tomorrow and presumably then accusing Ukraine of attacking russian territory ... Now that might escalate quickly if they demand Ukrainian withdrawal and start threatening tactical nukes etc

MoskvaRed

I'm glad I impress you but the only time I can remember mentioning Thucydides is when making a playful reach while reviewing Raya and The Last Dragon. It was sort of a joke but I'm glad it made an impression on you.

On your point about comparative suffering: I'm not sure how it relates to anything I've posted, sorry.

On your point about my involvement and knowledge on Russia: As a largely ignorant outsider and having ignored the thread for a while I came back in because I was genuinely interested in the first hand perspectives of the Russian posters on here after the partial-mobilisation news and how this turn of events might affect them and their families directly. Perhaps in the vain hope that it might quicken an end to the carnage in Ukraine. But to try and find these posts I had to wade through the spamming of idiotic war-bro fantasies and caricatures of all Russians, or most Russians, or all Russians except redcafe posters (grovel, grovel) as weak and nazis and *****.

Ok fine, if the thread is happy with the Glaston model of war reportage as twitter length missile strikes set to a soundtrack of death metal (literally this is the stuff he was spamming), and if war-lolz is where it's at then I'll put it back on ignore and leave you to have your fun in peace. Sorry to blow your buzz, see ya.

P.S. The How To Train Your Dragon series was superior to Disney's latest dragon adventures.
My apologies for the rather rude response the other night - I had been having an argument on the same topic with in laws and over- reacted a bit to your rather harmless post. And, joking aside, i’d rather read your never dull postings than some more abuse directed at Harry Maguire.

The Purley King

Russia owns the Nord stream lines I think

Basically they broke their own stuff... (The implication being if we can do that we could take out other lines) but I don't think a NATO Russia conflict will happen over them breaking their own stuff

Russia declaring the Donbas part of Russia tomorrow and presumably then accusing Ukraine of attacking russian territory ... Now that might escalate quickly if they demand Ukrainian withdrawal and start threatening tactical nukes etc
Thanks for the reply, from what I understand breaking this line might affect “legit” supplies from the nordics?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Thanks for the reply, from what I understand breaking this line might affect “legit” supplies from the nordics?
I don't think so

This happened the day a new Norway Poland line opened up and pretty close to it

And simultaneous explosions probably shows their ability to strike numerous Norwegian pipes at once

But to the best of my knowledge this will not impact any non russian pipelines

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
No it doesn't, those are different pipelines. It's just about the message that those could be destroyed as well.

The Purley King

No it doesn't, those are different pipelines. It's just about the message that those could be destroyed as well.
Thank you for the reply.
Makes me feel a bit better about the situation.
If putin is just dipping his toes in the water then hopefully the reaction will prevent him from actually doing it

Rajma

Thank you for the reply.
Makes me feel a bit better about the situation.
If putin is just dipping his toes in the water then hopefully the reaction will prevent him from actually doing it
Yeah if reaction is strong though something along the lines of Norway/USA coming out to say that article 5 will be activated right away should similar thing happen to their pipe.

RedDevilQuebecois

"Timothy Ash, a senior emerging markets sovereign strategist, said the allegations that Russia could be behind the damage were "remarkable."

"So a number of holes appeared in these pipelines, which are thick and buried deep. This has to be subs, likely Russian subs," he said in an emailed note, adding that it would be "incredible" if Russia was found to have been willing "to cause such risks to shipping in the Baltics.""

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/09/27/rus...ter-leaks-found-on-nord-stream-pipelines.html

"Leaks of this size are a severe safety and environmental hazard, especially should Russia not stop pumping gas into the system."

Is that the point, to cause an environmental hazard? If they don't stop pumping gas that will tell us all we need to know.
I say that's not beyond the realm of possibilities that Putin is willing to do the same kind of shit that Saddam did to Kuwaiti oil fields as the Iraqis fled during the Gulf War. Both cnuts deserve(d) to end with a rope around their necks just for that shit alone.

Right now, NATO better send military ships to patrol around the Norwegian pipelines for starters.

Indeed. I say Twitter is just needing that kind of official designation to start waging a war against Russian bots based on the same algorithms that were used to fight ISIS. In fact, that war against disinformation from the Kremlin should have been waged several years ago.

Last edited:

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
At least these latest “referendums” completely undermine those that previously happened in Crimea. Far fewer will take those seriously now.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Ukrainian railways still continue to impress and retain a sense of humour:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
He was talking about NS2 and he meant sanctions, which wasn't needed since Germany voluntarily stopped the pipeline when the war started.
Well... sanctions against Germany were implemented and didn't stop the progress of the project, the beginning of the war did. As obviously sanctions weren't enough it is a valid question what means the US would have taken (or possibly did).

The US trying to force Germany to buy their expensive fracking LNG isn't that well received here...

The Firestarter

Well... sanctions against Germany were implemented and didn't stop the progress of the project, the beginning of the war did. As obviously sanctions weren't enough it is a valid question what means the US would have taken (or possibly did).

The US trying to force Germany to buy their expensive fracking LNG isn't that well received here...
The point is, it's not the US blowing the pipelines, that's ridiculous.

Don't Kill Bill

While the rest of Europe freezes this winter, partly because Germany refused to heed the warning on becoming reliant on Russian gas, we will all bear those misgivings in mind.