Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

nimic

something nice
Scout
I'd be wary of this Igor Sushko fella. Seems to make a lot of unfonded claims. Mind, the story can be true but you'd be better off quoting other sources.
I saw this first hand the other day, when he reported on the resignation of the leader of the left-wing Red (Rødt) party in Norway. He got the very basics right, that Bjørnar Moxnes resigned because he was caught stealing (or at least leaving without paying for) a watch a pair of sunglasses at an airport. But then he added that Moxnes, who he called a "Kremlin asset", was adamantly against military support for Ukraine. In fact, he's probably the single greatest reason his party is officially in favour of sending military aid to Ukraine. He also said that he was "trying to remain in the parliament", which is a meaningless statement. The constitution leaves no option for either resigning from or being forced out of parliament.

Basically being wrong about stuff which is very easy to get right by doing any amount of research. I am pretty sure he just makes stuff up.

Last edited:

DT12

Supports
Everton
Not to mention he seems to think Argentina was an attendee of the Russia-Africa summit. He has a long history of just making dumb crap up, hoping it'll get spread around.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I saw this first hand the other day, when he reported on the resignation of the leader of the left-wing Red (Rødt) party in Norway. He got the very basics right, that Bjørnar Moxnes resigned because he was caught stealing (or at least leaving without paying for) a watch at an airport. But then he added that Moxnes, who he called a "Kremlin asset", was adamantly against military support for Ukraine. In fact, he's probably the single greatest reason his party is officially in favour of sending military aid to Ukraine. He also said that he was "trying to remain in the parliament", which is a meaningless statement. The constitution leaves no option for either resigning from or being forced out of parliament.

Basically being wrong about stuff which is very easy to get right by doing any amount of research. I am pretty sure he just makes stuff up.
You are also spreading fake news. Didn’t Moxnes get caught on CCTV nicking a pair of sunglasses? (i.e. not a watch) Can’t believe I know this. Was on holiday with a friend who lives in Norway last week.

nimic

something nice
Scout
You are also spreading fake news. Didn’t Moxnes get caught on CCTV nicking a pair of sunglasses? (i.e. not a watch) Can’t believe I know this. Was on holiday with a friend who lives in Norway last week.
Yeah you're right, it was sunglasses. I think I've heard so much about that case that I am actively trying to forget details now.

The United

Was Burma able to fund an external war though? Rather than simply control its own populace? I agree that sanctions *also* hit normal people, but the idea that Russia’s ability to fund this war is not seriously affected by sanctions is surely just wrong. We’re making it far far more difficult than it could have been. I’m sure that there would be more Russian soldiers, and more Russian military equipment, in Ukraine today, than if there were no sanctions. And therefore more innocent Ukranians dead.
Nope. But my reference was to give an example of how even a much smaller country like Burma survived for decades. Well, more like their Junta leaders did and are still living well. Even though Russia is funding this war, they are bigger than Burma, have more resources, and have more 'friends'. And the sanctions seem to be less and less effective nowadays for their intended use after a certain point. So it is hard to expect any significant effect of the Western sanctions on their leader's war machine (which was already pretty much bigger than UA's) when the rest of the world just doesn't exactly follow them through. Of course, that does not mean it didn't hamper Putin's effort at all, but just asking for more 'Western' sanctions would not be the effective solution to bring him down in the near future. But what is the solution, then? Well, I don't have a clue other than bombing their troops out of UA's lands.

Last edited:

nimic

something nice
Scout
Such a crazy story. Of all the things to potentially torpedo your career over. A pair of fecking shades!
The stealing didn't even torpedo his career, it was the way the story just kept getting worse and worse. It didn't even get that bad, basically he did appear to wilfully steal a pair of sunglasses, that's about it. But his story kept changing, even though he must have known it would come out (it all being on security camera). If he had just come straight out and admitted the whole thing, everyone would have forgotten about it by now.

He basically engineered the rise of his party on his own, so it will be interesting to see what happens there now.

RedDevilQuebecois

What a drunk bitch. How could that guy even be president?

Source is in the thread, from Politico Europe.

Wittmann45

And how many times have Russia drawn a line in the sand that has been crossed? Wasn't there a threat that MBTs being delivered to Ukraine was too far and would require Russia to use nukes? F-16s next and now recapturing territory.

NotThatSoph

lemons are annoying
Was Burma able to fund an external war though? Rather than simply control its own populace? I agree that sanctions *also* hit normal people, but the idea that Russia’s ability to fund this war is not seriously affected by sanctions is surely just wrong. We’re making it far far more difficult than it could have been. I’m sure that there would be more Russian soldiers, and more Russian military equipment, in Ukraine today, than if there were no sanctions. And therefore more innocent Ukranians dead.
I think this is a very difficult thing to answer generally, which is why the research of sanctions is pretty mixed.

Typically you have two types of sanctions. Direct military sanctions, aiming to restrict the availability and/or production of weapons, and various types of economic sanctions, aiming to lower GDP. By lowering GDP you also lower the tax base, meaning the government has less money available to fund the war. Whether or not this actually impacts the funding on the war depends on how motivated the state is to wage war, and on how tight a grip it has on its populace. Unless the sanctions literally collapse the economy, which is basically impossible for a large country, it can simply choose to spend less money on non-war things or increase income by new/higher taxes, even money printing in the short term. The more authoritarian the state is, the less effective sanctions should be in changing behaviour.

Another problem is that the cost of sanctions is typically already taken into account by the country on the receiving end, and therefore it's not going to change behaviour. The ways this can end up not being true is if, 1. the sanctions are not announced in advance (which would be a failure on the part of the countries implementing the sanctions), announced but not taken as a credible threat (another failure), or both announced and taken as credible, but that the ones on the receiving end misjudge how costly the sanctions will actually be (possible).

As far as I know, most of the pro sanction research places a lot of weight on the deterrence factor: that the main way sanctions work is by preventing things from happening in the first place, not stopping things that have already started. This means that when sanctions have to actually be implemented, then they have already mostly failed. You still have to do it, because if not then you lose credibility and therefore the effectiveness of future deterrence.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
Another high-rise building. And I bet another shameful silence and inaction from the west.

tomaldinho1

If you take anything from this, it’s that Russia are publicly stating the UA counteroffensive is worrying them. It might not be moving quickly but for them to essentially resort to threatening to nuke (for what the 800th time?) shows it’s bothering them.

RedDevilQuebecois

If you take anything from this, it’s that Russia are publicly stating the UA counteroffensive is worrying them. It might not be moving quickly but for them to essentially resort to threatening to nuke (for what the 800th time?) shows it’s bothering them.
Nevertheless, the Kremlin better try something else because the bluff has been called too many times already. Meanwhile, Medvedev should be treated by world media like the irrelevant drunk clown he is instead being given unncessary attention.

tomaldinho1

Nevertheless, the Kremlin better try something else because the bluff has been called too many times already. Meanwhile, Medvedev should be treated by world media like the irrelevant drunk clown he is instead being given unncessary attention.
I actually think it’s quite clever if you think of the internal power play. It’s an interesting quote from him because it puts all the pressure on Putin. He’s not just saying we will nuke you if you are successful, he’s saying Putin categorically said he will use a nuke for this reason and so when he doesn’t it will undermine him gravely.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
During the time Medvedev was president, my country made some deals with Russia, and he came across as a reasonable guy back then.

About 10-15 years ago now though, so i guess he went off the deep-end at some point, not that i think he was ever a good person, probably not, but at least he wasn't at all unhinged like recent years.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
During the time Medvedev was president, my country made some deals with Russia, and he came across as a reasonable guy back then.

About 10-15 years ago now though, so i guess he went off the deep-end at some point, not that i think he was ever a good person, probably not, but at least he wasn't at all unhinged like recent years.
Maybe he liked being president and doesn't like that he isn't in that position anymore? Would definitely be a reason to start drinking and become unhinged.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona

The more unhinged he is, the safer he is at home. If he hadn't had a mental breakdown in recent years which made him this way, he acts deliberately as a clown, so Putin will never feel threatened by him. This goes also for Lavrov, who always was more or less reasonable most of the time. Any potential successor backed by the west will fly through an open window while drinking tea at the same time. But if they act like clowns, Putin has nothing to fear from them and they can continue to live their lives with more money than they can spend.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
The more unhinged he is, the safer he is at home. If he hadn't had a mental breakdown in recent years which made him this way, he acts deliberately as a clown, so Putin will never feel threatened by him. This goes also for Lavrov, who always was more or less reasonable most of the time. Any potential successor backed by the west will fly through an open window while drinking tea at the same time. But if they act like clowns, Putin has nothing to fear from them and they can continue to live their lives with more money than they can spend.
But...if you know that Medvedev is faking it, then wouldn't Putin know this too?

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
But...if you know that Medvedev is faking it, then wouldn't Putin know this too?
Of course he knows, but why should he care. His only concern is, that there is nobody who can challenge him. As long as they continue to behave in a way that makes it impossible for the west to reason with or even try to back them up, then he is calm. Imagine Lavrov would be reasonable to the west with all his connections he built over the years. Or Medvedev as former president? They would instantly be a threat to Putin und everyone knows what he does with threats. I'm pretty sure they're covering their own asses. Of course they could simply flee out of Russia, but then they'd have to give up their riches, 2nd families and so on and live under threat for the rest of their lives. So it's way safer to choose the unhinged way.
It's not a fact of course, but many journalists suggest likewise, because the turn around of both since the beginning of the war is just strange. So either they hid their true nature before, or they're acting now.

Last edited:

Simbo

Bold to assume Medvedev has ever been anything more than a lapdog.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
Of course he was and is. But the question remains. Did he hide his true nature when he was president or is he acting now?

I can see it, when sometime in the future the war ends, Russia will present all those numbers and say their SMO was a success. In the end. they'll have destroyed more western equipment that was built and killed more Ukrainians than there were ever in service. That will be Putin's story to wriggle out of it when he needs to. "The western threat to Russia is done, we destroyed everything, we're safe and now we can leave."

edit: But at least they stopped reporting of destroyed HIMARS. Maybe because they realized they already had a bigger number than US provided :lol:

JuriM

Of course he was and is. But the question remains. Did he hide his true nature when he was president or is he acting now?

I can see it, when sometime in the future the war ends, Russia will present all those numbers and say their SMO was a success. In the end. they'll have destroyed more western equipment that was built and killed more Ukrainians than there were ever in service. That will be Putin's story to wriggle out of it when he needs to. "The western threat to Russia is done, we destroyed everything, we're safe and now we can leave."

edit: But at least they stopped reporting of destroyed HIMARS. Maybe because they realized they already had a bigger number than US provided :lol:
The absurd numbers reported about everything as been an ongoing meme from the very start already. They are just going with it.

The United

I think this is a very difficult thing to answer generally, which is why the research of sanctions is pretty mixed.

Typically you have two types of sanctions. Direct military sanctions, aiming to restrict the availability and/or production of weapons, and various types of economic sanctions, aiming to lower GDP. By lowering GDP you also lower the tax base, meaning the government has less money available to fund the war. Whether or not this actually impacts the funding on the war depends on how motivated the state is to wage war, and on how tight a grip it has on its populace. Unless the sanctions literally collapse the economy, which is basically impossible for a large country, it can simply choose to spend less money on non-war things or increase income by new/higher taxes, even money printing in the short term. The more authoritarian the state is, the less effective sanctions should be in changing behaviour.

Another problem is that the cost of sanctions is typically already taken into account by the country on the receiving end, and therefore it's not going to change behaviour. The ways this can end up not being true is if, 1. the sanctions are not announced in advance (which would be a failure on the part of the countries implementing the sanctions), announced but not taken as a credible threat (another failure), or both announced and taken as credible, but that the ones on the receiving end misjudge how costly the sanctions will actually be (possible).

As far as I know, most of the pro sanction research places a lot of weight on the deterrence factor: that the main way sanctions work is by preventing things from happening in the first place, not stopping things that have already started. This means that when sanctions have to actually be implemented, then they have already mostly failed. You still have to do it, because if not then you lose credibility and therefore the effectiveness of future deterrence.
Great summary. I do think that sanctions become mostly for moral purposes and hardly do anything to help the general population turn against their government. Obviously, again, that didn't mean it didn't restrict those regimes. It just doesn't help with changing their behavior, as you said. I don't really think a lot of people from the 'West' understand much about the impact of suffering the general population. In turn, the crippled population can't do anything about their government.

Sanctions are going to make the "West" less influential later on if they are not careful with applying them to everything in general when the effect of them are way less than desirable.

Last edited:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
There were many reports about him considering to stay in power before Putin broke him and forced the reverse castling. He probably never had it in him to fully challenge Putin but it would've been an interesting move. A shame that we'll probably never know what had really happened back then.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

Why does he look like all of David Cameron, George Osborne and Nigel Garage simultaneously? Nightmare fuel.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
BEIJING (AP) — China imposed restrictions Monday on exports of long-range civilian drones, citing Russia’s war in Ukraine and concern that drones might be converted to military use.

Chinese leader Xi Jinping’s government is friendly with Moscow but says it is neutral in the 17-month-old war. It has been stung by reports that both sides might be using Chinese-made drones for reconnaissance and possibly attacks.

Export controls will take effect Tuesday to prevent use of drones for “non-peaceful purposes,” the Ministry of Commerce said in a statement. It said some drone exports still will be allowed.
https://apnews.com/article/china-ukraine-russia-drone-export-dji-e6694b3209b4d8a93fd76cf29bd8a056

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Hungarians not making friends online it seems. Good to see some pushback from regional people.