Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

Simbo

There are reports Wagner is deploying to Belogrod. I'm not sure which side they are going to join up with at this point.

the hea

It is very likely that Ukraine performs some reconnaissance in force operations, the nature of these is that they retreat once they hit heavy resistance.

It is quite probable that Russia will claim that such operations are failed offensives, but that doesn't mean that they ever were meant as such. And of course they always claim lots of Ukrainian losses, that usually can't be true anyways.
I agree, what we are seeing now is Ukraine testing the Russian defenses to get an idea of how strongly Russia is able to respond in different sectors.

Rajma

As Ukraine enters into a tighter Opsec phase before the imminent counteroffensive the informational space will be filled in by Russian garbage during the next weeks:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
As Ukraine enters into a tighter Opsec phase before the imminent counteroffensive the informational space will be filled in by Russian garbage during the next weeks:
Its more or less been like this since Musk took over Twitter.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
In other news, its D-Day ;)
SUPREME HEADQUARTERS
ALLIED EXPEDITIONARY FORCE

Soldiers, Sailors, and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Force!

You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The hope and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you. In company with our brave Allies and brothers-in-arms on other Fronts, you will bring about the destruction of the Russian war machine, the elimination of Russian tyranny over the oppressed peoples of Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world.

Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well equipped and battle-hardened. He will fight savagely.

But this is the year 2023! Much has happened since the Russian triumphs of 2022. The United Nations have inflicted upon the Russians great defeats, in open battle, man-to-man. Our air offensive has seriously reduced their strength in the air and their capacity to wage war on the ground. Our Home Fronts have given us an overwhelming superiority in weapons and munitions of war, and placed at our disposal great reserves of trained fighting men. The tide has turned! The free men of the world are marching together to Victory!

I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full Victory!

Good luck! And let us beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking.

:cool:

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
That amount of water has to do some damage to both sides of the river, no?
Here's an article about what might happen if the dam is blown. Looking at the maps, the East bank (southern at this point) is much lower lying than the West bank so the Russians will bear the brunt of the damage. It seems that Kherson will only have minor flooding in a few areas, while the Russian-occupied side will be inundated. The major issue could be the nuclear plant losing the water that cools it, which I guess could force the Russians to abandon it to let Ukraine deal with it.

https://cornucopia.se/2022/10/worst-case-modelling-for-nova-kakhovka-dam-break/

I'm also curious how they could've done this since it would take quite the hit to blow the dam.

atkar83

Here's an article about what might happen if the dam is blown. Looking at the maps, the East bank (southern at this point) is much lower lying than the West bank so the Russians will bear the brunt of the damage. It seems that Kherson will only have minor flooding in a few areas, while the Russian-occupied side will be inundated. The major issue could be the nuclear plant losing the water that cools it, which I guess could force the Russians to abandon it to let Ukraine deal with it.

https://cornucopia.se/2022/10/worst-case-modelling-for-nova-kakhovka-dam-break/

I'm also curious how they could've done this since it would take quite the hit to blow the dam.
When I google this dam, most of the articles are about the threat if Russia blows it. Are we certain the Ukrainians did? I'm curious to know if Russia would assume they would never do that, so kept a bunch of their troops closer to the river. And I wonder how fast that dam burst is going, fast enough to risk killing troops or just equipment that can't be moved on time

the hea

This might leave Crimea without fresh water again. The canal that provides the peninsula with fresh water starts just upstream from the dam.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
When I google this dam, most of the articles are about the threat if Russia blows it. Are we certain the Ukrainians did? I'm curious to know if Russia would assume they would never do that, so kept a bunch of their troops closer to the river. And I wonder how fast that dam burst is going, fast enough to risk killing troops or just equipment that can't be moved on time
Since the Ukrainians have blamed Russia, it may have been the Russians who blew it. Depending on their lines, it could be a strategic blunder, but when has that stopped the Russians before? Russian state media are now saying it collapsed as a result of damage. There was a NY Times piece a few days ago about how Russians had raised the reservoir to 30 year highs, which could have resulted in the dam collapsing since it had been damaged. Whether they blew it up or not, it seems that it was likely Russian sabotage.

Edit: video of explosion at the dam was from November 2022.

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Looks like the Russians are a bit dazed and confused as to what is happening to them at the moment. The Ukrainians (or their proxies) are causing chaos inside Russia, lauching small, probing counteroffensives near the eastern front, and attempting to flood the Russians out of the south. All before the Ukrainians themselves launch any meaningful attacks.

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
If it's real (apparently it isn't, altough Russian denying it makes me think it's likely), then it's fantastic news for Ukraine. Nova Kakhovka is Crimea's main source of fresh water. Russia losing it would mean that they can't just dig in and resist in Crimea. They would have to go meet the UA halfway or risk the collapse of their logistics.

the hea

No way “shelling“ caused that to the dam, that amount of damage takes a massive amount of explosives and Ukraine are not in possesion of any such long range weapons. My guess it was blown up using planted explosives and a large amount of it.

rpitchfo

Im so confused about the dam thing. How does it benefit Russia to blow it up?

Rajma

They’re simply terrorizing and destroying Ukraine that’s their sole purpose, they know they won’t be able to keep it so are trying to inflict as much damage and pain behind as possible. This nation and regime are rotten. How does it benefit Russia from military point of view to waste their scarce missiles on bombing civilians in Kyiv or Lviv? It doesn’t, as their goals are always much more sinister.

Last edited:

cyberman

They can move troops from there now since it’s impossible to pass, the mud alone left behind from the dam ensures that.
That’s what I read anyway

JuriM

Maybe an attempt to slow the counteroffensive? Pretty desperate move in any case and shows that Russia has given up on gaining any new ground
The amount of resources Ukraine has to deploy to evacuate and protect the residents in the region disrupts enough to focus on purely military movement. Hence Russians can focus on regrouping and reassuring their own units during the period.