Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
European countries are not going to get involved in a war with China over Taiwan regardless (in fact, almost none of them, if not none of them at all, could do anything about it anyway).

I wouldn't really say this struggle is global to be honest, as much as the media has tried to portray it as such.
Then I'd suggest you wake up and smell the coffee, China supports Russia. Authoritarian leaders around the world - in Brazil, North Korea, Cuba, Byelorussia, Syria and elsewhere - support Russia.

Moreover, if China were to invade Taiwan then of course European nations will get involved - in defence of freedom and democracy. The UK, France, Italy and Spain have a combined 6 aircraft carriers for starters - that's 3 times more than what China has.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
The BBC reports:

"Friday's Financial Times leads with reports that aluminium producer Rusal has become the first Russian group to call for an inquiry into alleged war crimes in Ukraine.

Ukraine says more than 300 civilians were killed by the Russians in Bucha, although Moscow denies any involvement.

Unlike a number of other Russian companies, Rusal is not the target of sanctions, although its billionaire founder Oleg Deripaska is.

The war in Ukraine and the backlash against it have also wreaked havoc on Rusal's supply chains.

In a statement on Wednesday, it wrote that it was shocked by reports from the city of Bucha in recent days.

"We support an objective and impartial
investigation of this crime and call for severe punishment for the perpetrators. No matter how hard it may seem in the context of ongoing information war," it said."

Sir Matt

Blue Devil

The Fox News reporter who was injured when the other reporter and cameraman with him were killed by the Russians.

RedDevilQuebecois

Gotta say that historians are right when they say that Russia will only yield when they lose everything on the battlefield.

It took the fall of Port Arthur, a total defeat at the Battle of Mukden (which was the largest battle ever fought until WW1), and the loss of an entire fleet at Tsushima in order - all of them combining into total humiliation to bring Russia to its knees in front of Japan almost 117 years ago. Does Putin even want to go there by pushing his own luck too far just like the deranged idiot that was Nicholas II did? We all know how it ended up for Nicholas even though his demise didn't come until March 1918.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah I get that this is an invasion but still. Cold blooded murder isn't something I can get on board with.

Ukrainians have form for this against the Chechens in the past.
In a normal war I'd totally agree with you. But we're talking about soldiers who've been sent under orders to commit a genocide. Ethically you have to balance the possibility of any Russian soldier going back to Russia after a peace deal and then coming back in 2 years time to further the genocide.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Has this Medvedev fantasy been reported on elsewhere?

He apparently talks of creating a Eurasia from Vladivostok to Lisbon!

@harms can you verify?

Completely mad?

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Gotta say that historians are right when they say that Russia will only yield when they lose everything on the battlefield.

It took the fall of Port Arthur, a total defeat at the Battle of Mukden (which was the largest battle ever fought until WW1), and the loss of an entire fleet at Tsushima in order - all of them combining into total humiliation to bring Russia to its knees in front of Japan almost 117 years ago. Does Putin even want to go there by pushing his own luck too far just like the deranged idiot that was Nicholas II did? We all know how it ended up for Nicholas even though his demise didn't come until March 1918.
There was that really interesting tweet thread a while ago that showed they don't have the demographics anymore to just throw thousands of men to pointless deaths. The kind of generations of cannon fodder they had through the centuries don't exist now.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Has this Medvedev fantasy been reported on elsewhere?

He apparently talks of creating a Eurasia from Vladivostok to Lisbon!

@harms can you verify?

Completely mad?
His words have a slightly different connotation — he's not talking about creating a new unified state or something like that. But he's talking about a scenario where the entire Eurasia is a relatively homogenous space, obviously, even though he doesn't say it out loud in this case, united by the same (Russian) cultural & political values. Basically expanding the infamous Pax Rossica.

Medvedev said:
President Putin has set a strict goal of demilitarisation and denazification of Ukraine. Tasks of this magnitude can't be achieved immediately. They can't be achieved on battlefield alone. Our most important goal is to change the blood-soaked consciousness of people of Ukraine, which is filled with false myths. This is the goal that we need to reach in the name of the safety of future generations of Ukrainians, in the hope of creating an open Eurasia — from Lisbon to Vladivostok

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Peskov looks like the bastard child of David Moyes and Barry Chuckle. Now there's an image you didn't want on a Friday morning.

RedDevilQuebecois

There was that really interesting tweet thread a while ago that showed they don't have the demographics anymore to just throw thousands of men to pointless deaths. The kind of generations of cannon fodder they had through the centuries don't exist now.
I hope so since current Russian casualties are already a colossal demographic disaster in itself. But the fact that Putin raised the age for volunteering military service to males up to 60 years of age is quite worrying as to how far his ego is driving him. What would be next after mobilizing old men? Women? Teenagers? I swear I don't even want to imagine that, but the possibility exists with that man in charge and the propaganda machine still on overdrive.

Peskov looks like the bastard child of David Moyes and Barry Chuckle. Now there's an image you didn't want on a Friday morning.
Gross. :houllier::houllier::houllier:

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Russia attacked Kramatorsk station with a missile this morning. Their ministry of defence initially claimed credit, before rowing back after reports came through of the scale of the civilian casualties.

Head of local military administration says 39 dead and 87 wounded:

Hope this is on topic enough, without delving into wider discussion on war crimes.

Carolina Red

Staff
Russia attacked Kramatorsk station with a missile this morning. Their ministry of defence initially claimed credit, before rowing back after reports came through of the scale of the civilian casualties.

Head of local military administration says 39 dead and 87 wounded:

Hope this is on topic enough, without delving into wider discussion on war crimes.
You would think at some point the Russian military would realize that their limited supply of precision weapons would be better spent on the Ukrainian Army, considering that’s who is currently kicking their asses back into Russia, but with the way they’ve conducted this whole invasion you’d also immediately think that maybe the Russians just don’t know what the hell they’re doing.

RedDevilQuebecois

I can only facepalm myself in total exasperation when I see news of Russian strikes hitting obvious civilian targets such as Kramatorsk station.

You would think at some point the Russian military would realize that their limited supply of precision weapons would be better spent on the Ukrainian Army, considering that’s who is currently kicking their asses back into Russia, but with the way they’ve conducted this whole invasion you’d also immediately think that maybe the Russians just don’t know what the hell they’re doing.
That begs the still-unanswered question as to who is commanding in that madhouse. A proper competent general in charge would not allow any waste of valuable weaponry on civilians instead of the real opposition.

botond

its like they want Nato to enter , to give them an excuse for loosing the war.

MTF

Either their weapons can't target, or they have no good intel on the Ukrainian Army, or they just want to try a terror campaign (besides the sheer immorality, never works). In any case they're incompetent criminal fecks. I hope NATO steps up assistance in terms of arms, intelligence and anything else that can be done to smash them in the east.

The Firestarter

Either their weapons can't target, or they have no good intel on the Ukrainian Army, or they just want to try a terror campaign (besides the sheer immorality, never works). In any case they're incompetent criminal fecks. I hope NATO steps up assistance in terms of arms, intelligence and anything else that can be done to smash them in the east.
There's a US bill about to pass congress that offers lend lease to Ukraine until this conflict ends.

Carolina Red

Staff
That begs the still-unanswered question as to who is commanding in that madhouse. A proper competent general in charge would not allow any waste of valuable weaponry on civilians instead of the real opposition.
Quite right. From reports a week or so ago, it was clear that there is no theatre level military commander coordinating the whole invasion. Seems the whole thing is being conducted ad hoc based on whims of local commanders and whoever shouts loudest in Moscow.
Agreed. I’m torn between believing that they know they’re going to lose and are therefore spitefully causing as much damage as possible or they believe their own bullshit and think this is actually an effective war strategy.

MTF

Quite right. From reports a week or so ago, it was clear that there is no theatre level military commander coordinating the whole invasion. Seems the whole thing is being conducted ad hoc based on whims of local commanders and whoever shouts loudest in Moscow.
I can take a guess who's commanding the whole show, roleplaying a certain gent that declared himself head of Stavka in July 1941. Haven't dictators always thought they know best about all things?

(I know that as the war progressed Stalin became a bit more tolerant to actually listening to his generals, while the man in Berlin became a bit less).

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
The BBC reports:

"The European Union has agreed further sanctions targeting Russia.

The EU says this fifth package of "restrictive measures" is aimed at ramping up economic pressure on the Kremlin and aims to "cripple its ability to finance its invasion of Ukraine".

The latest sanctions package includes:

• An import ban on all forms of Russian coal
  • A full transaction ban and asset freeze on four Russian banks
  • A ban on Russian and Belarusian freight road operators working in the EU
  • Excluding Russia from procurement contracts
Additional sanctions are being considered by the EU, including targeting oil imports and transaction methods. The EU has said reducing its dependency on Russian energy imports is a priority."

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Are you thinking of one by Kamil Galeev, I think his name was? He's done a number of quite interesting ones with a slightly different slant.

Pintu

Thread on EU and the gas stop.

He compares it to EU telling Ireland, Greece among others to do drastic measures 10 years ago when the EU bailed them out of recession. Germany probably doesn’t see the analogy in the same way.

Infra-red

One of those retired generals that tweet had a thread about Russia’s strategical options and this is the pincer move he described. He said it would be very difficult with Russia’s logistical problems but they may try it.
I read the same piece. The retired US general seemed to think that the Ukrainians would badly struggle in the wide open terrain in this part of the country, unless they could be kitted-out with heavy armour (Soviet era tanks) asap. It's a very different battle to the one they have been successfully fighting in urban and semi-urban areas elsewhere in the country, and one where the Russian armour and artillery will be far more effective.

If the Russian pincer succeeds, those c.30k Ukrainian troops (reportedly some of the best units in the Ukrainian armed forces) will be totally surrounded and cut-off from any supply lines. It would presumably be the end of them and the end of Donbas.