Russia's at it again

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Biden's presidency was largely pretty good until the Dems lost the House completely when the speaker got the boot. It's a complete mess now, but it doesn't mean that their democracy can't fix itself and reelect some non-loony bins. The Russian "democracy" on the other hand, not so much.
I think when you have a two-party system, the answers or analysis are naturally binary. I wonder if you would have that same opinion if there were 3-4 parties.

Biden is only good, relative to a cnut like Trump. His foreign policy is so fragmented, hypocritical -- its almost like its run by different fiefdoms within the administration. Their goals or outcomes are contradictory.

There are a lot of self-inflicted policies or actions. There are two superpowers that the US has: the military and the USD. If you confiscate the Russian assets worth US$300 Billion, it will only accelerate the demise of the USD in the long term as the international reserve.

But they are so set in the short term to use that $300 billion to pay for weapons, and I assume the rebuilding of Ukraine, for which most of the contracts, including weapons, will be with US companies. Meanwhile, it coerces European or Japanese governments and companies, to go against its own interests, with little to no benefits.

Its not quite Wall Street short-termism, but very close, in terms of international relations, economics, and political strategy. Shooting itself in the foot all to keep his constituents (and I don't mean the voters here) happy.

My biggest issue is that the US is trying to hang on to its hegemony -- and, instead of working things out through cooperation or compromise and developing win-win solutions; she insists on waging an economic war with China or a proxy war, as is the case in Ukraine. Or the corrupt, blind support of Israel.

All of which cause inflationary pressures for the foreseeable future.

Its the 200th anniversary of the Monroe Doctrine, and last year was the 20th anniversary of the illegal war in Iraq. No accountability so far. I think the US has been involved in 64 regime changes just between 1946 and 1990.

Its either a system that has no long term institutional memory, such that its not self-critical, or its too blinded by the idea that its the city of the hill, so it can't do wrong. It just doesn't seem to recognise or understand double standards or the concept of hypocrisy.

Its a very flawed democracy -- so I am not sure its in a position to judge or pontificate what democracy is, never mind pretending that it needs to fight in some countries to protect its freedoms at home.

Last edited: