Ruud Van Nistelrooy appreciation thread

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Goal scoring machine but the way it ended and the fact we ultimately didn't win a lot with him means he's far from a club legend in my eyes

I'd even go as far as saying it was only his first 2 seasons where he was really outstanding (though you could blame Fergie for selling his main supply for goal (Beckham) for that)

pacifictheme

So did Best. I suppose by your logic, he's not a legend either?

Apart from winning the Premier League, FA Cup, Carling Cup, you mean? :houllier:

With the exception of Eric, those guys are not even close to RVN. Sheringham... a United legend? I beg to differ. He scored the tap in against Munich but besides that, I wouldn't have up there as a "United Legend". Especially not above Van Nistelrooy. Sheringham would be more of a Spurs Legend.

Cole and Yorke were a good partnership but individually, they weren't as good as RVN. And Solskjaer was a bench warmer for the majority of his time here. Good super sub but never the main man.

How can you be a United fan and forget Ruud van Nistelrooy...? :confused:
Combination of all the things i mentioned. Being a great player doesn't mean you're a club legend. Thats the key bit you're missing. The 4 strikers from 99 were all integral to that season and a very successful period for us. Theres emotion involved.

5 years, one league title (i don't blame him, or think him leaving was the catalyst for us being successful afterwards). Not that likeable really. Coincided with a time i didn't go to or a lot. This is all personal opinion ultimately, and for me, hes just a player who warrants club legend.

It always surprises me when people talk so fondly of him. Forgettable player for me. He just is. Sorry.

EDIT: i guess this shows how lucky we are as a fanbase. Anywhere else he'd be lauded as one of their greatest ever players. Hes not even in the conversation for us. It says a lot that this thread is so quiet. Not many really care about him. I bet an ole appreciation thread would have far more discussion, for example.

I'd probably have him in my best united 11 (although i think i'd end up going for rooney and cantona over him) of the prem era as he was obviously brillaint, but i don't consider him as a club legend.

That best comment, ha. Best could have taken a shit on the ot pitch and would still be a legend. What he achieved and what he did. No comparison.

Last edited:

Jaybomb

Combination of all the things i mentioned. Being a great player doesn't mean you're a club legend. Thats the key bit you're missing. The 4 strikers from 99 were all integral to that season and a very successful period for us. Theres emotion involved.

5 years, one league title (i don't blame him, or think him leaving was the catalyst for us being successful afterwards). Not that likeable really. Coincided with a time i didn't go to or a lot. This is all personal opinion ultimately, and for me, hes just a player who warrants club legend.

It always surprises me when people talk so fondly of him. Forgettable player for me. He just is. Sorry.
Well, you've said it all. You didn't follow them when he was there.

Those who did, know how good he was. It's understandable.

Jaybomb

Goal scoring machine but the way it ended and the fact we ultimately didn't win a lot with him means he's far from a club legend in my eyes

I'd even go as far as saying it was only his first 2 seasons where he was really outstanding (though you could blame Fergie for selling his main supply for goal (Beckham) for that)
Wes Brown won a lot. Is he more of a Legend than Ruud was? :houllier:

pacifictheme

I did. I just didn't go to many matches as i was a student at the other end of the country. Added a few edits to my post.

You've completely missed my point though.

And this thread being so quiet suggests not many feel any need to show appreciation.

Martin(6)Buchan

Even though he was prolific for us and I thought he was a natural infront of goal, I hold Ole in higher esteem Ole just kept his head down did his job without moaning no matter how many time's he was on the bench. Maybe because he spat his dummy when he got dropped and that tarnished his image and then left, thus ultimately his last action sticks in the mind the most.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
He's never, ever to blame for the famine during the mid 00's. Anyone attributing our success after him, to him leaving have lost the plot. Ronaldo became great, Sir Alex finally settled on a functioning midfield, Giggs learned how to play the left midfield role to a T, Vidic and Rio created what's possibly the greatest centre back pairing in club history. Evra came in and developed into arguably the best left back in world football. Ruud was unfortunate in that he left when things clicked. It was merely coincidence rather than cause and effect. Ruud tried all he could during those years to get us to the promise land but sadly the rest of the team wasn't to the required standard. Apart from him, Rooney and Scholes post Becks, the others didn't quite look like the knew what they were supposed to be doing.
All this is true

In Ruuds first season we couldn't defend. We scored 87 goals but conceeded 45, more than a goal a game which is extremely shit. His 3rd season saw a lot of transition, Becks and Veron left, Keano was waining, the kids came in but took time to mature, belllion....

If he hadn't done his knee in he would have another title as he'd have joined a season earlier, he was in short unlucky

RooneyLegend

All this is true

In Ruuds first season we couldn't defend. We scored 87 goals but conceeded 45, more than a goal a game which is extremely shit. His 3rd season saw a lot of transition, Becks and Veron left, Keano was waining, the kids came in but took time to mature, belllion....

If he hadn't done his knee in he would have another title as he'd have joined a season earlier, he was in short unlucky
True, he came at a time when Sir Alex was looking for answers unlike where most of the time Sir Alex always seemed to have the answers.

Robertd0803

Fantastic goalscorer. Image and reputation tarnished at the end but shouldnt take away from him being a wonderful goal machine.

charlenefan

Wes Brown won a lot. Is he more of a Legend than Ruud was? :houllier:
I know you're trying to be patronizing but that's actually a good question

As it wasn't your intention though I'm not going to answer

BlakeUtd

Ruud was such an exciting goal poacher. Probably one of the best ever in that position. His technique was a joy to watch. I miss him. It was so hype to here commentators describe/ celebrate his goals..... AND IT'S RUUUD van NISTELROOOOY

Witchking

So you would say that Le Tissier is not a legend for Southampton because he did not win much trophies?

Trophies = Legend is not a given. Rooney's example should be enough with half of United's fan base (including me) not considering him a United legend.

Witchking

Yup. Great player,. Just brilliant. Just unlucky to be in a phase where Rooney and Ronaldo were both just learning their trade.

Bojan11

Great player and love him.

But he behaved appallingly during his last season.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Yorke and Cole were renowned for their movement and their one-twos were one of the highlights of the 98-99 season.

Louis Saha and Carlos Tevez played up front in 06-07 and 07-08 respectively. These two seasons witnessed some of the best attacking football in United's recent history. Like Yorke and Cole, Saha and Tevez was widely revered for their off-the-ball movement and ability to stretch defences.

But some random bloke on the internet thinks it's insane, so I guess I'm wrong.
I asked you to expand on it. because RvN's movement was among the best I've seen of any centre forward. He got into position to score goals in a way that few centre forwards can. I'd put him up there with Batistuta and Shearer in that regard.

So therefore I asked you to expand as I didn't know what kind of movement you were talking about. Yorke, Saha, Tevez, they're not the same kind of forwards as Ruud.

Don't get your knickers in a twist over 'some random bloke on the internet'

klayton88

Would love him back at Carrington in a coaching role working with the youngsters.

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
Absolutely loved Ruud. My favorite United striker. What I liked was how lanky and awkward his physique was. Not blessed with strength or speed or awesome dribbling skills, almost the opposite of Henry. He was deceptively very good and just knew how to put the ball in the net.

ricky-romeo

All this is true

This. Ruud was unlucky due to difference reasons with the team which contributed to just one league tittle. Could and should have been more but still one of the best forward ever to grace old trafford.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Was gutted when the transfer from PSV fell through the first time around because I was so excited to see him come to United after watching him play for them. Very sad little saga at the time. Henry may have been the greatest all around forward in the "modern era" , but when I think of the greatest pure strikers I've seen in my lifetime in the PL I can only think of RvN and Shearer. Such a no frills workhorse.

Bestie07

My favorite United player of all time, spent years after years arguing with my friends in school that he was better than Henry, they were right obviously but Ruud was the best player to have played the game for an eleven year old me. Was gutted when he left, and specially because of the whole league cup final thing, but glad that he has since mended his relationship with Sir Alex.

That penalty to break Arsenal's unbeaten run, still gives me goosebumps :devil:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
We fecked up by letting him go early. Still had a few years of top football left in him.
Disagree, the guy was holding us back by the end and look at the success we achieved after letting him go. Rooney and Ronaldo needed space to breathe.

Shouldn't take away what a brilliant player he was for us though and he was definitely a better finisher than Henry imo.

rollingstoned1

With the exception of Eric, those guys are not even close to RVN. Sheringham... a United legend? I beg to differ. He scored the tap in against Munich but besides that, I wouldn't have up there as a "United Legend". Especially not above Van Nistelrooy. Sheringham would be more of a Spurs Legend.

Cole and Yorke were a good partnership but individually, they weren't as good as RVN. And Solskjaer was a bench warmer for the majority of his time here. Good super sub but never the main man.
RVN gets overrated a tad because at that time he was probably the only nailed on world class player we had what with neither Rooney nor Ronaldo having realized their potential; Giggs, Scholes and Keane declining and Rio having not yet evolved. I don't think Rooney is a worse striker than him at his peak, he's definitely the better player. All in all, there was a reason why top teams in Europe gradually avoided having slow poachers like Inzaghi, Trezeguet, RVN, Crespo, etc. up front and we realized that quite quickly in 2006 and adapted.

AKDevil

Deadly. I remember watching that video of him doing that drill with Welbeck when Welbeck was about 8. Even just in that little demonstration (I think after a 360/Zidane turn) his shot was right in the bottom corner. Such a natural finisher. Finding the net and right spots was second nature to him. Shame he didn't play in our best era.

charlenefan

So you would say that Le Tissier is not a legend for Southampton because he did not win much trophies?

Trophies = Legend is not a given. Rooney's example should be enough with half of United's fan base (including me) not considering him a United legend.
Lack of trophies is just one of the reasons why he's not a legend in my eyes

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Fantastic finisher, but a huge cnut and we were a lot better off without him.

Jaybomb

How is that a good question? :lol:

Wes Brown was a good servant for us but never a United legend. That's madness.

Ruud would get into a lot of people's "All time United XI's" along with the likes of Ronaldo, Scholes, Cantona, Best, Charlton, etc. I'd struggle to find even one who would put Wes Brown in. Unless they were taking the piss.

This thread is getting a bit ridiculous in my opinion. Everyone going on about how we reached peak success after Ruud's departure, as if it was him who was dragging the team down or something.

He's won everything at United bar the Champions League. And would have almost certainly smashed the goal scoring record by 100+ goals if he stayed longer. And yet some people say he didn't contribute to success? :houllier:

We won the Treble after Cantona left. You could literally use those ridiculous arguments against him aswell. "If we had Cantona, we wouldn't have bought Sheringham and therefore he wouldn't have scored in the final against Munich..." - All this talk is hypothethical. There's nothing to say Ruud wouldn't have been amazing in 06-09. Don't forget he was a great player for Madrid around this time and I know some Madrid fans who consider him one of their best in recent years.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
The years between 2002 und 2006 would have been much less exciting without him, he was very popular with the fans and even though it worked out well for us most fans back then weren't happy to see him leave.

Vooon

Hal Institute for Criminally Insane Robots
Have we ever had a goal scoring striker like him? Massive player for us. My fave goal by him was that one against Basel away in the CL.

I remember I was pissing myself when we signed him, I had watched him destroy the Dutch league with PSV for several years on good old Eurogoals.

Minimalist

Best pure striker this club has ever had. Just incase my previous post saying the exact same thing wasn't enough. Love me some Ruud.

Witchking

If i am not wrong, in the champions league (between 2004-06), think it was against Benfica, RvN's back is facing the goal and he (i think) gets a bad high pass which he pulls down with a brilliant one touch and then turns and shoots with power and hits the bar. It was an excellent skill. If anyone remembers or has seen, it please post it in here. Even the commentators were gobsmacked.