Ruud Van Nistelrooy appreciation thread

thepolice123

But the best teams in recent times didn't have a pure poacher upfront though, instead they had a very dynamic striker.
He was more than just a poacher. He had a great hold up play and his passing was very efficient. It is very easy to see why he said Cavani resembles the closest to him.

I think things ended badly with Ruud was because we created a monster that we had to transfer out. The Real Madrid offer was just the icing on the cake and a very easy decision for Fergie. He was obsessed with personal glory (in particularly goals) and his rivalry with Henry. There were reports back then that he would sulk if he did not get on the scoresheet, and whole team would be forced to try to get a tap-in for him. Our teamplay being affected was just byproduct of his huge ego.

ifightdragons

Van Nistelrooy was the Harry Kane of the times. A hungry savage who hoovered up goals quicker than Kurt Cobaine hoovered up Class A's.
This is massively underselling Ruud and flattering Kane. Kane is very, very good. Ruud is the best clean poacher of European football, bar only Ronaldo and Messi, who are arguably gods.
You can't say Ruud was the Kane of the times. The correct way to put it is that Kane is a good, yet way lesser version of Ruud of our times.

Champagne Football

I agree but we have a bloke called Tony martial, turns up onse a year
This is massively underselling Ruud and flattering Kane. Kane is very, very good. Ruud is the best clean poacher of European football, bar only Ronaldo and Messi, who are arguably gods.
You can't say Ruud was the Kane of the times. The correct way to put it is that Kane is a good, yet way lesser version of Ruud of our times.

poleglass red

great finisher, as good as I've seen. He had a real issue with Ronaldo, problem was Ronaldo was too quick when he first came in, we'd break and Ruud wouldn't be in the box as he'd be catching up. When Ruud pushed up to compensate for Ronaldo's pace, Ronaldo would fanny about with the ball instead of crossing it. This is a younger Ronaldo, not the finished article yet. So Ruud was damned if he did......I know Nev says we were a better team without Ruud and the team plated better with Saha, even though Ruud was a better striker- probably some truth in that. It's a pity we didn't win as much as we should have with such a great striker in our team, think it was 1 PL in 4-5 seasons.

meamth

great finisher, as good as I've seen. He had a real issue with Ronaldo, problem was Ronaldo was too quick when he first came in, we'd break and Ruud wouldn't be in the box as he'd be catching up. When Ruud pushed up to compensate for Ronaldo's pace, Ronaldo would fanny about with the ball instead of crossing it. This is a younger Ronaldo, not the finished article yet. So Ruud was damned if he did......I know Nev says we were a better team without Ruud and the team plated better with Saha, even though Ruud was a better striker- probably some truth in that. It's a pity we didn't win as much as we should have with such a great striker in our team, think it was 1 PL in 4-5 seasons.
He is also reminder to us that how ruthless it was back then.

SAF can casually sell his top striker to allow his next team to grow.

Nowadays we see us keeping rotting players at that department, started from Rooney till Ole came along.

lsd

The Oracle

This . It's a strange one and there is no doubt as great as striker as he was we just played better and won more without him .

At the end of the day we support the team and not the player

van Persie

I actually think he had a lot more skill than he was given credit for, and scored plenty of 'out of nothing' goals. Think of the goal against Fulham, Arsenal in 03, Basel away...

But yeah there was no comparison between him and Henry. Henry is one of the best forwards of all time and his record against United (eight goals in 21 league and cup games) is better than RVP's against Arsenal (two goals in 12 games, one of which was a penalty).
Preach. Ruud's skill was always underrated mostly because his unconventinal style of moving or whatever you'd call it.

wolvored

Ruud van nees a dutchman
He wears a dutchman's cap
He came in from Holland
And hes such a lovely chap
He scored them with his left foot
He scored them with his right
And when he played the city
He'd score all feckin night

jem

I'd take Ruud over Kane, but I wouldn't say Kane is way lesser, especially when you consider the variety of goals Kane offers up (I don't recall RVN hitting as many long-range strikes.) Still, I don't know why I read these threads, as it just depresses me to think what I'd give to have RVN in this team now.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Anyone who remembers RVN can now pat themselves on the back for officially becoming one of those old men who talk about players were always better in the past. :wenger:

40+ a season for two seasons wasn't it? 150 goals utterly monstered up in no time as well.

These days, we throw a party if one of our guys gets to 20, and act like 15 is decent.

ForeverRoma93

Supports
A.S. Roma
Fantastic striker for sure, I could've sworn he had won more trophies at United though? x1 PL, x1 FA Cup and x1 League Cup doesn't sound right during that period

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
You think that may have been more to do with Ronaldo? Saha started less than half of our Premier League games. The way he's talked about on this forum is bonkers.
I think its bonkers to suggest he had better movement than Ruud too

Chairman Steve

He’s the only Utd player in the past 20 years who made me feel 100% comfortable when Utd had a penalty.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
RvN probably my favourite player of all time. Phenomenal striker during one of Ferguson’s more fallow periods.