Ruud Van Nistelrooy appreciation thread

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
current United team ? He used to get into rage's over Rooney and Ronaldo for not passing the ball on time, what would he be saying to James, Andreas, Lingard and co?
I thought Rooney and Ruud had a very good partnership. They've provided plenty of assists for each other for the short time they played together before Ruud left. If you look back at old highlights even Ronaldo provided goals for Ruud when he was more of an out-and-out winger.

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
You ever play in a league or pick-up game at a park with a striker in your team, who you can give the most atrocious passes to in or around his area, and he just somehow gets to the ball, controls it, turns his defender or makes space for him to shoot, and scores? That's how I would describe Ruud. He just had that goalscorer's instinct which compensated for his lack of speed and athleticism that strikers like Henry were blessed with.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Amazing striker.

I actually feel he's somewhat under-rated in the PL era given that the careers of Rooney and Ronaldo and the CO92 tend to overshadow his part of the United story in our glory years.

Really great striker, I miss him playing for Utd.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Great player for us. Used to go a bit missing in big games. Loved how he riled up the entire Arsenal team who went as far as hitting him while the gormless ref just stood and watched.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Amazing striker.

I actually feel he's somewhat under-rated in the PL era given that the careers of Rooney and Ronaldo and the CO92 tend to overshadow his part of the United story in our glory years.

Really great striker, I miss him playing for Utd.
Because those 5 years were not glory years, that was PL drought years for us, winning only 1 PL in 5 seasons. Also finished in our worst position (In PL era) under SAF 3 times in 5 years.

He was probably very unlucky to be part of ManUtd at that time as that period was the worst under SAF.

Kelly15

The first unitd kit i bought. Amazing player. So cool and calm. Give him a quarter chance and he would bury it. I though his injurys slowed him down a little. But still was a amazing player. You don't go to Madrid and bang in a bunch of goals if your average. I really think he is a underrated player.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Isn't cole still the fastest player to 50 premier league goals?
Maybe. Id be surprised to be honest. But if so that's mostly due to his incredible Newcastle season. After that he dropped off, and VN totally outscored him.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Gosh I loved Ruud. Was my favourite player when I started supporting the club. Absolutely phenomenal striker.

Dr Foo

I supported the Netherlands because of him. One of my fav ever strikers. He was like a beacon of light in the few dark years of transition. For the one season in 02/03 where the team still had quality and clicked, he was feeding off Beckham's crosses and Giggs and Scholes dovetailing. Then he had to push on with the likes of Smith, Djemba Djemba, Miller, p.neville, early Fletcher and still developing Rooney and Ronaldo behind him. We have not had anyone close to his penalty box instincts since Ronaldo, but I guess his departure signalled a change in style of attacking play to a more fluid model that gave us success after.

TRUERED89

I thought Rooney and Ruud had a very good partnership. They've provided plenty of assists for each other for the short time they played together before Ruud left. If you look back at old highlights even Ronaldo provided goals for Ruud when he was more of an out-and-out winger.
You’re right, yet he still got angry with them. What would he be like with the current lot with the winning mentality and thirst for goals like he had.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Goal scoring machine but the way it ended and the fact we ultimately didn't win a lot with him means he's far from a club legend in my eyes

I'd even go as far as saying it was only his first 2 seasons where he was really outstanding (though you could blame Fergie for selling his main supply for goal (Beckham) for that)
In every season that they played together, Giggs gave more assists to Ruud than Beckham...and he even scored more from Ronaldo's crosses than Beckham's. It's weird how this myth persists.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I have huge prejudice for poachers. Extremely niche and rare skill.
But the best teams in recent times didn't have a pure poacher upfront though, instead they had a very dynamic striker.

Can7onA

Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuud

Loved him, proper striker. I used to get as frustrated as him when Ronaldo didn't release the ball quick enough, see from his point of view, he went from Beckham who used to ping it as quick as possible into the box to Ronaldo who would get in the right position and then try and ruin the fullback again. You can totally see what he got fecked off.

That one season for us he was an absolute monster.

TRUERED89

Goal scoring machine but the way it ended and the fact we ultimately didn't win a lot with him means he's far from a club legend in my eyes

I'd even go as far as saying it was only his first 2 seasons where he was really outstanding (though you could blame Fergie for selling his main supply for goal (Beckham) for that)
Any striker that led us to a league, especially against that great Arsenal team, and scored 150+ goals is an absolute LEGEND. Arsenal had their invincible season after, then José turned up. To discredit him and say he isn’t a legend because we didn’t win multiple leagues Is just unfair. If he came when he was originally supposed to (summer 2000, instead of 2001) he would of had 2 PL’s, would he then be a legend in your eyes ?

PS: I hope you don’t think RVP is a club legend then if RVN isn’t ?

Siorac

Any striker that led us to a league, especially against that great Arsenal team, and scored 150+ goals is an absolute LEGEND. Arsenal had their invincible season after, then José turned up. To discredit him and say he isn’t a legend because we didn’t win multiple leagues Is just unfair. If he came when he was originally supposed to (summer 2000, instead of 2001) he would of had 2 PL’s, would he then be a legend in your eyes ?

PS: I hope you don’t think RVP is a club legend then if RVN isn’t ?
Regardless of Ruud, anyone who considers Van Persie a club legend is a bit daft.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuud

Loved him, proper striker. I used to get as frustrated as him when Ronaldo didn't release the ball quick enough, see from his point of view, he went from Beckham who used to ping it as quick as possible into the box to Ronaldo who would get in the right position and then try and ruin the fullback again. You can totally see what he got fecked off.

That one season for us he was an absolute monster.
If all of those early balls from Beckham were so much more productive, sure, but in Beckham's first season with Ruud he managed 3 assists, in Ronaldo's first season with Ruud he managed...3 assists. There were many more important factors in Ruud's decline than Beckham leaving.

Can7onA

I don't disagree, I was just adding to the conversation where I had seen people referring to the Ronaldo relationship :)

Tony247

But the best teams in recent times didn't have a pure poacher upfront though, instead they had a very dynamic striker.
True. May be because there ain't many. It's a rare gem. Look at lukaku who has horrible first touch is bought by Inter for more than decent sum, and even with all his limitations if manager uses him properly then poacher like him still can score loads of goals.

Compare lukaku with RVN and today he will be sold for 180m least.

OleTheGreat

Ruud Van Nistelrooy!!! Boy, am i glad that someone put up a thread for this great footballer. He's the reason i started following this great club. He's the reason i felt we were and are one of the biggest clubs in Europe. He's the reason i thought we could go out there and win any difficult game. He accounted for so so many goals and championships for United. What's more amazing is, he left and joined Real Madrid, my second favorite team. I cannot think of a better finisher in football than he. The man will always be a LEGEND!

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Is it a fact that out of his 150 goals only one came from outside the box?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Is it a fact that out of his 150 goals only one came from outside the box?
I think I’ve heard that too. Certainly can’t remember even the one he did score, I’m willing to bet it was only just outside the box too :lol:

GenZRed

When I first started following football in the 2003-04 season, Ruud Van Nistelrooy was my favorite player and I was heartbroken when he left for Real Madrid. I honestly thought, in the Summer of 2006, that we were shooting ourselves in the football by selling him. Obviously I was wrong and with the behind the scenes goings on, it was the right decision.

Still he claims a special place for me personally, as my first ever favorite footballer. I do think he was the best striker of his time in terms of putting the ball in the back of the net.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I think I’ve heard that too. Certainly can’t remember even the one he did score, I’m willing to bet it was only just outside the box too :lol:
vs Charlton , in his last season. and yes, it was from just outside the box

RedBanker

I love you Ole
vs Charlton , in his last season. and yes, it was from just outside the box
Wow...thanks for confirming. This goes to show that he had perfected the art of positioning and ghosting behind defences.

poleglass red

that's some bad goalkeeping right there. always say to the lads I play with get it on target.

Rhyme Animal

Because those 5 years were not glory years, that was PL drought years for us, winning only 1 PL in 5 seasons. Also finished in our worst position (In PL era) under SAF 3 times in 5 years.

He was probably very unlucky to be part of ManUtd at that time as that period was the worst under SAF.
Mate, with where we are now, I view everything from 92 to 2013 as glory years.

Yeah there where little periods of actual rebuild in there, but feck me, we were always relevant, we were always competitive - and we were always functional as an actual football club.

Charlie Foley

You ever play in a league or pick-up game at a park with a striker in your team, who you can give the most atrocious passes to in or around his area, and he just somehow gets to the ball, controls it, turns his defender or makes space for him to shoot, and scores? That's how I would describe Ruud. He just had that goalscorer's instinct which compensated for his lack of speed and athleticism that strikers like Henry were blessed with.
Lack of athleticism is harsh. Ruud was a different type of athlete to Henry but he was still a tremendous athlete

roonster09

Scout
Mate, with where we are now, I view everything from 92 to 2013 as glory years.

Yeah there where little periods of actual rebuild in there, but feck me, we were always relevant, we were always competitive - and we were always functional as an actual football club.
SAF years and you named Ronaldo, Rooney and CO92 and how their career overshadowed Ruud's.

roonster09

Scout
That's right - we won more with the CO92, and Rooney and Ronaldo are both bigger stars than Ruud, thus his quality is somewhat overshadowed in comparison. Cheers.
Yeah also I'm yet to see ManUtd fan who don't love Ruud. What a player he was, showed his quality for Madrid too.

Rhyme Animal

Yeah also I'm yet to see ManUtd fan who don't love Ruud. What a player he was, showed his quality for Madrid too.
Gotta be one of the most loved players of the last 20 years... which is saying something cuz we've had some truly great players in that time.

I always fancied him to become a good manager, so I wonder if we'll see him step up a few levels from under 19 coach...?

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Didn’t he bang in a good few long-rangers for Real after his move?

pacifictheme

I don't love him if i am honest. Don't dislike him and he was great but i much prefer cole, cantona, rooney, solskjaer and hughes as strikers.

I just think he played for us while i was at uni and didn't go to as many games as i did before or after so i don't have as many memories of him as others.

Champagne Football

Van Nistelrooy was the Harry Kane of the times. A hungry savage who hoovered up goals quicker than Kurt Cobaine hoovered up Class A's.