Saúl Ñíguez \ Joins Chelsea on loan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Can7onA

Smith left because they were being relegated, the other two aren't born and bred in Leeds.

Not a chance in the world he would join United.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He always seemed like a bit of an all rounder to me rather than someone who is top class at certain things.
Me too, he’s also stagnated last 2 years. Is he any better than what Herrera was for example?
Is that 50m better than Fred etc? I’m not convinced it is

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Smith left because they were being relegated, the other two aren't born and bred in Leeds.

Not a chance in the world he would join United.
Are you suggesting he would turn down the opportunity to triple his wages, increase his profile immeasurably, play regularly in Europe and compete for honours because he was born in Leeds?

ivaldo

Who said it was supposed to make sense?
Probably stemmed from the part where you tried to make sense of those Leeds players moving to United over the years?

Can7onA

I didn't try to make sense of it, it's a fact. Smith left because they were getting a good fee and they were being relegated. I doubt he goes out drinking in Leeds on a night out lets put it that way. Leeds were in massive financial trouble.

Ferdinand had no loyalty to Leeds. Neither did Cantona, they wanted him out, he was trouble maker. Hence the £1.2M fee.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Me too, he’s also stagnated last 2 years. Is he any better than what Herrera was for example?
Is that 50m better than Fred etc? I’m not convinced it is
Yeah I mean at his best all he seemed to me was some excess energy and being a jack of all trades type player.

Even that energy in the middle of the park, players like Kante have absolutely shown that he was never even close to that level was he?

Maybe a bit better than Herrera but even that I'm giving that for what I thought he was a couple years ago for Athletico madrid than what he is now.

Also,
When I look at how many people were crying out for Thomas Partey and him moving to Arsenal - it does make me wonder if Athletico Madrid is not a dumb club and they will only really willingly sell players that have kind of stagnated a bit like Bayern Munich do.

ivaldo

I didn't try to make sense of it, it's a fact. Smith left because they were getting a good fee and they were being relegated. I doubt he goes out drinking in Leeds on a night out lets put it that way.

Ferdinand had no loyalty to Leeds. Neither did Cantona, they wanted him out, he was trouble maker. Hence the £1.2M fee.
Smith left for all those things that would attract Philips to United. Here's a piece on how he vowed never to play for us. His views are expressed far stronger here than in the article you posted about Philips' family not liking United.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...ll-news/bitter-rival-swore-hed-never-20144635

So less facht, and more a scramble after having it pointed out to you that multiple players have moved from Leeds to United. :)

Can7onA

Smith left for all those things that would attract Philips to United. Here's a piece on how he vowed never to play for us. His views are expressed far stronger here than in the article you posted about Philips' family not liking United.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...ll-news/bitter-rival-swore-hed-never-20144635

So less facht, and more a scramble after having it pointed out to you that multiple players have moved from Leeds to United. :)
Three players. The last being in 2004.

I tell you what, when he's stood on the OT pitch next to Ole with a big smile on his face you can say I told you so. ;)

ivaldo

Three players. The last being in 2004.

I tell you what, when he's stood on the OT pitch next to Ole with a big smile on his face you can say I told you so. ;)
Yes three players, the last being when Leeds got relegated in 2004... But feel free to believe the reason the team that was winning Champions Leagues didn't sign Championship and League 1 players was because of the rivalry. :houllier:

If we were in for him I'm sure I would do. Likewise if Philips turns down life changing money and intentionally hurts his own career so that he can stay at Leeds. Unless they get relegated, of course. Rival doesn't count then...

Can7onA

You're right. I'll leave it here.

I can't be arsed to argue with you, like I said I don't think you understand the rivalry very well.

ivaldo

And despite several examples and multiple posters disagreeing with you, you seemingly don't understand the drive of modern footballers.

Irrational.

I can’t believe I’m saying this… but Saul would be an underwhelming signing for me. I think Ruben Neves would be the smarter deal.

RedDevilRoshi

I take it Saul is the potential Pogba replacement and Neves is the potential alternative to Camavinga?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
And despite several examples and multiple posters disagreeing with you, you seemingly don't understand the drive of modern footballers.
I don’t think he’s worth the price that Leeds would surely ask for him now. Was worth a punt when he played championship like I said at the time but now? I think we need more than Philips in there

RUCK4444

We are clearly trying to get as low a deal as possible for Varane becuase we are working on a midfielder (or two hopefully) so need to spread the cash.

ivaldo

I don’t think he’s worth the price that Leeds would surely ask for him now. Was worth a punt when he played championship like I said at the time but now? I think we need more than Philips in there
He'd be a good addition, but I agree, the price would be far too steep now.

Can7onA

The fee was £1m (not like it matters) but if you watch the documentary, it was one of the funniest parts. Leeds asked if they could report it as 1.2m because they thought that would calm the anger from the fans for selling him.
Same thing with Smith and waiving his signing on fee so it would help Leeds and their cash situation.

But hey what do I know, happens all the time apparently. :lol:

Godfather

A whopping 2 goals and 1 assist last season... This would be such an underwhelming signing

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Can't help but think there are far better signings for us out there than him.

He's tailed off massively in the last season or two, doesn't strike me as someone who will thrive in the hustle and bustle of the EPL, and can hardly make the Atleico/Spain squads.

Would sooner see someone like Rice or Neves come in, or in an ideal world for our midfield balance Ndidi or Bissouma.

If we are cashing in on Pogba, then maybe there's a reason to go for him - but only if we're also bringing in a more all action/defensive type.

ivaldo

Same thing with Smith and waiving his signing on fee so it would help Leeds and their cash situation.

But hey what do I know, happens all the time apparently. :lol:
The desperation in that strawman. Incredible. :lol:

Thiagoal

Got a lot of similar attributes to Matic. Strong, good tackler, decent aerially and is able to manoeuvre out of tight spots well. I think his passing range is better though. I think moving to a new club will spark him into action and see the Premier League being a great fit for him.

JB7

The major overrating of Kalvin Phillips in this thread :lol: :lol: :lol:

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
What happened to him? I read he’s usually on the bench these days for Atletico.
He has played all around the pitch for AM and performed. Had a blip last season.

Considering he has come back from Kidney injury and still perfomed at the highest level, I wouldn't worry about signing him. For 40 odd million he would be a great addition to the squad.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
A whopping 2 goals and 1 assist last season... This would be such an underwhelming signing
And Pogba has 3 goals and 3 assists in PL last year.
Camavinga has 1 goal and 2 assists in ligue 1.
Cream of the month, Kalvin Philips has 1 goal and 2 assists.
Rice has 2 goals and 1 assists, last season.

Basically, your point doesn't make any sense !

Status
Not open for further replies.