Saúl Ñíguez \ Joins Chelsea on loan

Status
Not open for further replies.

theklr

30m with an option to buy. Seriously what could have gone wrong with this ? Least, he would have been a body to cover that midfield. I seriously don't understand our transfers, at times.

Donny could have joined Everton and we could have signed Saul.
They probably rated Donny more than Saul then :)

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
If I was him, I'd insist on putting "Ñíguez" on the back of my shirt just to give every British commentator night terrors before they cover a Chelsea match.
The FA will ban him before he even kicks a ball

Brightonian

Exactly. Compare our midfield options to our rivals. We lack. Chelsea have just picked up Saul Niguez. They already have world class talent in Jorginho and Kante. Plus they have Kovacic and Mount ffs. We have Fred, Matic and McT!
You do the math.
Your point stands, but worth pointing out Kovacic is regularly shite. I wouldn't swap him for Fred or McT.

Kag

We have 6 players in Sancho, Greenwood,Cavani, Ronaldo,Martial and Rashford to play there. Considering Ronaldo as a starter, it just leaves two place for 5 players. Adding Pogba to that list would be waste of so much talent that we have.
But it isn’t his best position and he isn’t a particularly great central midfielder.

ChaddyP

Your usage of "Lada" was spot on. Lada is a Russian car that they jump-started by copying '70s Fiat but then kept producing well into 80s without adding anything of value to it. It is indeed one of the worst quality cars ever produced.

my dad had one of these in the 80s. sold it after a week

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Chelsea being extremely gluttonous. Wont be surprised if they get Kounde also just to sit him on the bench. The depth is already insane, why buy more? In a tight pinch Chalobah and Ampadu can both play in CM. They wont even loan out Hudson-Odoi to Dortmund, he wont play more then 300-500 minutes all season at Chelsea :houllier:
Well Ampadu is not good enough, for starters. He has gone on loan and I doubt he will play for Chelseas again. I reckon CHO will play more than that, Tuchel likes him.

We have more depth in most positions tbh.

Oranges038

If I was him, I'd insist on putting "Ñíguez" on the back of my shirt just to give every British commentator night terrors before they cover a Chelsea match.
I'd imagine we'll hear a few Sa-oools, Sa-ulls and plain old Sauls.

I'd say the commentators would be as confused as this lad.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP

Great signing for Chelsea. Saul, Kovacic, Jorginho and Kante as midfield options is unreal

croadyman

Wonder if he's seen how Donny hasn't had a chance and worried that he may end up the same way

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Your usage of "Lada" was spot on. Lada is a Russian car that they jump-started by copying '70s Fiat but then kept producing well into 80s without adding anything of value to it. It is indeed one of the worst quality cars ever produced.

Okay, well that was too harsh then, Fred is some mid level Ford sedan and McTominay is a pretty cool jeep.

Seij

Chelsea signs Saul for 5M on a loan in addition to their midfield of Kovacic, UEFA player of the year Jorginho, and MF Kante, while we are reportedly happy with Fred, McTominay, and Matic.

???

Litch

Beating an away record when there are no fans isn't that impressive.

Personally, I enjoy slick passing, it's painful at times watching us try to play through other teams, or break down a parked bus. We get results through individual brilliance, not through having a powerful "engine" (the central midfield in the metaphor, which I'll admit has its limitations as all the players drive the action).

We did well to come second, thanks to Liverpool and Chelsea struggling (before Lampard left). But we couldn't get out of the group stage of the CL.

Of course, Liverpool won the CL with a Lada quality midfield (I actually have no idea what a Lada is so if that's harsh I apologize, is this a Yugo level car?). But they had dribbling wingers who could hold the ball up and a striker who lives to drop deep and facilitate. And full backs who were crucial for crosses. If we had a Shaw on the right we might get away with McFred against the best.

It might work anyway, but i still would personally want more strength in the midfield if it was me, even if that meant sacrificing attack. Attackers can't score unless someone creates a chance for them. Look at Poland, what good is Lewandowski without service?
So if we won the league last year, you'd have said it's not very impressive cause there's was no fans?

It seems that some fans think we need world class in each position to win the league. Does that include a world class manager too? I'm happy with go with the manager and McFred as I don't believe it will be only down to them if we don't win things. I think the better players need to be consistently better.....

Litch

Chelsea signs Saul for 5M on a loan in addition to their midfield of Kovacic, UEFA player of the year Jorginho, and MF Kante, while we are reportedly happy with Fred, McTominay, and Matic.

???
Have we not finished above them for the last couple of years?

SAFMUTD

Im not to bothered about this one, what bothers me is that we didnt go for any midfielder.

Seij

Have we not finished above them for the last couple of years?
What do you think of their midfield versus ours?

Of note, Tuchel started end of January 2021 with their team sitting 9th in the league and finished 4th while winning the CL. It seems to be that they've had good players but Lampard wasn't good enough to take them very far.

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
They have more points than us since Tuchel took over.
Doesn't change the fact we've finished ahead of them in the past two years though. Tuchel is a great manager but Chelsea is no way a superior team to ours. We may not win the league but I guarantee we will finish above Chelsea. Saul isn't a game changer in the least. He wasn't what we even needed.

Irrational.

We missed out on a bargain. This signing was offered to us on a plate. FFS. Back to watching a McFred midfield get demolished by Jonjo fecking Shelvey it is then.

OLLY ORANGE

Doesn't change the fact we've finished ahead of them in the past two years though. Tuchel is a great manager but Chelsea is no way a superior team to ours. We may not win the league but I guarantee we will finish above Chelsea. Saul isn't a game changer in the least. He wasn't what we even needed.
Not convinced we'll finish above Chelsea. From what i've seen of them who ever finishes above Chelsea wins the prem league this year.
We've strengthened in key areas and will be a stronger unit throughout and could go close on a lot of fronts.
I've just got a feeling that not addressing our midfield will be what we'll be talking about again next May.
Feels like a missed opportunity as we prioritised a winger without addressing our reoccurring problem of not being able to compete with out playing Mctom and Fred in the middle and shoe horning key players into the team out of position.
Not convinced Saul was the answer for our team but Chelsea have strengthened that already balanced midfield where we have missed a trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.