Saúl Ñíguez \ Joins Chelsea on loan

Status
Not open for further replies.

littleman

I just want a midfield at United that can move, receive the ball under pressure, keep the ball under pressure, release the ball short and long, one-touch and two-touch with the occasional contribution on G&A.

CDM or not, Saul can do those basic midfield things better than McFred.

crossy1686

career ending
i don't know about that to be fair....it has to be very difficult to play as a midfielder under Simeone
It's nothing to do with that, he just hasn't kicked on and developed the way they were hoping. The discussion around his camp and Atleti's is that he probably needs to move on to become a better player in a different system. Koke pretty much runs the midfield next to him so he doesn't have the room to be the same type of midfielder.

MrSingh2002

Nothing burger. Hasn't ever stood out to me in any of the Atletico games I've seen.

Koke and Partey looked more influential. I hope we don't mess around signing someone that isn't much or at all better than Matic, Fred and McTominay.

The CDM signing has to be a clearly superior player.

theklr

Nothing burger. Hasn't ever stood out to me in any of the Atletico games I've seen.

Koke and Partey looked more influential. I hope we don't mess around signing someone that isn't much or at all better than Matic, Fred and McTominay.

The CDM signing has to be a clearly superior player.
He wont be our CDM signing if we get him.

izec

Sometimes players need a change. Maybe he had some private issues or
just got bored of Simeone. He is 26 and didnt have many injuries, can only be a motivational or private issue thing.

Digital Forward

Supports
Atlético de Madrid
Saúl is being sold because of a variety of reasons.

1) He's lost his spot as an undisputed starter. This is the main reason for the player wanting to leave Atlético. It happened during the past season because of performances that haven't been good enough. He doesn't have any problems with Simeone - it's the other way around. Simeone has given Saúl the chance to redeem himself on many occasions over the past 2-3 seasons despite the rather poor performances. He's not played well for the past 2-3 seasons but Simeone's always given his full trust. The other reason is the explosion of Llorente who was fundamental to Atlético's league win last season. He's been left behind in the pecking order by more or less everyone he competes with for a starting spot. The club and Saúl have a special relation because of his status as a youth team product which is why they won't stand in his way.

2) Saúl is a rather special case. He's an incredibly versatile player and this is a major advantage when the team needs it for several reasons. He can play LB, LWB, CB, DM, CM, LM, RM, SS and it's something Simeone has utilized to a maximum in order to strengthen the team whenever they've needed it. Saúl is very unselfish in this sense - as long as he plays. But..there's another side to things and that's when he doesn't play. That's when the issues start. He wants to play all the time - even if he doesn't perform. That's also when his entourage come into play and start pressing for more playing time. It has happened in the past - several times - and it'll happen in the future if he doesn't play.

Saúl's biggest problem is a different one though. It's the fact that he doesn't have a fixed position. He's a box-to-box midfielder naturally. He's a goal scoring threat coming undetected from the second line of attack (similar to Gerrard/Lampard) but that position doesn't exist at Atlético and he's not good enough to play as a SS because the options upfront are simply much better. He's very good in the air, shoots well from distance and very physical. He covers tons of ground. His ability to drive the ball is also very good for a player with his technical ability - which is limited and why he can't play as a deep lying DM who'll start play with his passing. That part of his game is very limited compared to the elite in European football. He's much better utilized further up the pitch but he can anchor the team defensively in many games - just not against the best teams if he's supposed to perform that role.

A great player tactically if utilized correctly. He's a fantastic professional btw. I've seen it myself while at Atlético's training sessions in Majadahonda many times.

Most important of all: Saúl needs a change of scenery in order to find himself again. Especially since he's gone through a rough time in terms of mental issues in the past year or so. It'd be good for him and for the club. That leads us onto the next point.

3) Saúl is in the second echelon of earners at Atlético. This is why the club think it's better to sell him with everything else in mind that I've posted about his situation. He's currently player 11-14 in the pecking order but earns a salary which belongs to someone who should be an undisputed starter.

There's also a side story regarding his wages where the club had planned on improving his contract but the pandemic and his performances have come in the way of this.

Reactions: Penna

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Sometimes players need a change. Maybe he had some private issues or
just got bored of Simeone. He is 26 and didnt have many injuries, can only be a motivational or private issue thing.
Definitely true, but I also just think the player has stagnated for the past few years. He’s been dining out on rep more than anything else after that wondergoal vs Bayern a few years back.

lucashood

For me Pogba needs to be moved on this summer so we can get a fee . A sole cdm just wont work with Pogba and Bruno. I know the business people would prefer if he signed a contract so they can protect their asset but for footballing reasons he needs to be moved on. Chelsea actually have the dream duo to go with Pogba. Kante and Jorginho would be perfect would be perfect in a 433 with him . United need world class number 8 and number 6s none of the players we are linked with thus far are it. Camavinga in a few years perhaps and maybe Gorezka too

copen1945

Jorge Mendes will push Bernarado Silva in place of Saul Niguez. So, whichever team that brings in this player would in effect partly finance Grealish's big money move City.

RobbieBerns

Jorge Mendes will push Bernarado Silva in place of Saul Niguez. So, whichever team that brings in this player would in effect partly finance Grealish's big money move City.
Is this coming from anywhere reputable or just a shot in the dark? Bernardo and Simeone don’t exactly scream match made in heaven to me.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal

1) He's lost his spot as an undisputed starter. This is the main reason for the player wanting to leave Atlético. It happened during the past season because of performances that haven't been good enough. He doesn't have any problems with Simeone - it's the other way around. Simeone has given Saúl the chance to redeem himself on many occasions over the past 2-3 seasons despite the rather poor performances. He's not played well for the past 2-3 seasons but Simeone's always given his full trust. The other reason is the explosion of Llorente who was fundamental to Atlético's league win last season. He's been left behind in the pecking order by more or less everyone he competes with for a starting spot. The club and Saúl have a special relation because of his status as a youth team product which is why they won't stand in his way.

2) Saúl is a rather special case. He's an incredibly versatile player and this is a major advantage when the team needs it for several reasons. He can play LB, LWB, CB, DM, CM, LM, RM, SS and it's something Simeone has utilized to a maximum in order to strengthen the team whenever they've needed it. Saúl is very unselfish in this sense - as long as he plays. But..there's another side to things and that's when he doesn't play. That's when the issues start. He wants to play all the time - even if he doesn't perform. That's also when his entourage come into play and start pressing for more playing time. It has happened in the past - several times - and it'll happen in the future if he doesn't play.

Saúl's biggest problem is a different one though. It's the fact that he doesn't have a fixed position. He's a box-to-box midfielder naturally. He's a goal scoring threat coming undetected from the second line of attack (similar to Gerrard/Lampard) but that position doesn't exist at Atlético and he's not good enough to play as a SS because the options upfront are simply much better. He's very good in the air, shoots well from distance and very physical. He covers tons of ground. His ability to drive the ball is also very good for a player with his technical ability - which is limited and why he can't play as a deep lying DM who'll start play with his passing. That part of his game is very limited compared to the elite in European football. He's much better utilized further up the pitch but he can anchor the team defensively in many games - just not against the best teams if he's supposed to perform that role.

A great player tactically if utilized correctly. He's a fantastic professional btw. I've seen it myself while at Atlético's training sessions in Majadahonda many times.

Most important of all: Saúl needs a change of scenery in order to find himself again. Especially since he's gone through a rough time in terms of mental issues in the past year or so. It'd be good for him and for the club. That leads us onto the next point.

3) Saúl is in the second echelon of earners at Atlético. This is why the club think it's better to sell him with everything else in mind that I've posted about his situation. He's currently player 11-14 in the pecking order but earns a salary which belongs to someone who should be an undisputed starter.

There's also a side story regarding his wages where the club had planned on improving his contract but the pandemic and his performances have come in the way of this.
Great post, very informative!

copen1945

Is this coming from anywhere reputable or just a shot in the dark? Bernardo and Simeone don’t exactly scream match made in heaven to me.
No direct link. It is only that Bernardo Silva had been pushing for a move for a year. He was slated to go to Barcelona for the Messi deal last summer, but obviously that fell through. It is the likely landing place for him. Mendes also is heavily involved with both Atletico and City. I am hoping the Americans at Liverpool, not the Americans at United, would give the paupers at City the needed helping hand.

RC89

Great post and thanks for the insight. Are you from Spain? If so, what's the news like on your end? Do the links to United come across as genuine?

Strelok

Great post, thank you for the insight.

Saul is no doubt a very quality player. I still remember he was quoted for 80-100m back then. How fast things change.

pixel

Thanks for the analysis.

Aren't these two a tad contradictory?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Ole is quite stubborn regarding McFredicky. If Saul can't play as a top quality regista then he'll struggle with us which is a problem if he wants to play in every game

Id rather see us go for Neves (EPL proven) or Camavigna (young and can wait)

tjb

Ole is quite stubborn regarding McFredicky. If Saul can't play as a top quality regista then he'll struggle with us which is a problem if he wants to play in every game

Id rather see us go for Neves (EPL proven) or Camavigna (young and can wait)
Don't know where this notion came from. Ole doesn't like Mcfred, project restart was proof. He just dislikes the idea of either playing with Pogba or Matic even more.

devilish

Don't know where this notion came from. Ole doesn't like Mcfred, project restart was proof. He just dislikes the idea of either playing with Pogba or Matic even more.
If that was the case then VDB would have played more + CM would have gotten first priority

theklr

Awesome post !

But sounds like he have some personality issues that might not fit well with Ole... i dont think he’s particular fond of players that demand a starting spot nomatter what

theklr

Think Ole plays with whatever setup that nets him results yeah. Who/how it is doesnt matter to him

DavelinaJolie

Think Ole plays with whatever setup that nets him results yeah. Who/how it is doesnt matter to him
The problem is you've got "Fan" outlets pushing this agenda that Ole has favourites and that's the only possible reason he could play "McFred". The "proof" being that VDB didn't get a look in.

It's mad.

Widow

Great post

DavelinaJolie

I'm sure VDB would have got a look in if he'd look anyway capable whenever he was given a chance.
Some people have convinced themselves that he did... That's even scarier!

Back to Saul, based on what I've read and seen, I don't see how he replaces Pogba. Seems like a decent squad option, but not someone you want to rely on in a defined role.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Liverpool makes a lot of sense.
To my knowledge, he isn’t the midfielder profile that we’d be looking for. If we didn’t have VDB, or two box to box in McSauce and Fred, then it would make sense.

Thiago, Saul and Fabinho unfortunately has the makings of a very solid midfield.
Matic could run past that midfield

devilish

The problem is you've got "Fan" outlets pushing this agenda that Ole has favourites and that's the only possible reason he could play "McFred". The "proof" being that VDB didn't get a look in.

It's mad.
Every manager has his own 'agenda' aka ideology and his favourites. Suggesting otherwise is silly. Sir Alex for example played Cleverley and Rafael on midfield ahead of Pogba, LVG was so obsessed with Bastian to bring him to United even though he was finished and don't get me started with Mou's obsession with the Fellaini guy. Sir Alex had his set of favorites as well starting from Darren Fletcher. We used to call him Sir Alex's son in here. Gaz was also part of that group. In fact the player had to persuade Sir Alex that he needed to retire which is quite extraordinary considering that after the WBA game anyone with eyes knew that Gaz's time was up.

I suspect that Ole loves two hardworking CMs at the base of his 4-2-3-1 system which explains why VDB and Pogba had struggled to break the McFred duo + why Ole had probably put CM as third priority behind AMR and DC. Thus Id rather see us sign Camavinga whose young and can wait or Neves whose EPL proven and will hit the ground running rather then Saul. The guy wants to play every game, he's used to be his club's darling and quite frankly hasn't been impressive for quite some time now. There's plenty of room for failure there.

Last edited:

Red00012

Every manager has his own 'agenda' aka ideology and his favourites. Suggesting otherwise is silly. Sir Alex for example played Cleverley and Rafael on midfield ahead of Pogba, LVG was so obsessed with Bastian to bring him to United even though he was finished and don't get me started with Mou's obsession with the Fellaini guy. Sir Alex had his set of favorites as well starting from Darren Fletcher. We used to call him Sir Alex's son in here. Gaz was also part of that group. In fact the player had to persuade Sir Alex that he needed to retire which is quite extraordinary considering that after the WBA game anyone with eyes knew that Gaz's time was up.

I suspect that Ole loves two hardworking CMs at the base of his 4-2-3-1 system which explains why VDB and Pogba had struggled to break the McFred duo + why Ole had probably put CM as third priority behind AMR and DC. Thus Id rather see us sign Camavinga whose young and can wait or Neves whose EPL proven and will hit the ground running rather then Saul. The guy wants to play every game, he's used to be his club's darling and quite frankly hasn't been impressive for quite some time now. There's plenty of room for failure there.
I read this as Silly Alex the 1st time , it mightn’t be too far off in that sentence :D

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Some people have convinced themselves that he did... That's even scarier!

Back to Saul, based on what I've read and seen, I don't see how he replaces Pogba. Seems like a decent squad option, but not someone you want to rely on in a defined role.
For as consistent as Pogba has been for us you could get a lot of players to replace him quite easily.

And the fact we still don't have a good DM means Pogba is going to still stand out like a sore thumb in CM if he stays.

Last edited:

UpWithRivers

Great post but do you think he will be a good signing for United or not? There is many good points you make but a lot of negatives mainly being that he has played badly for 2 seasons and throws a strop if he doesn't play.

Bestietom

The midfielder we bring in has to be better than what we have already.
Camavinga or Milenkevic Savic are 2 that I would like.
Camavinga because of age, would probably be best.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Something was different this year. He didn’t play as much or maybe he wasn’t trusted as much. Not sure if his performances dipped. Couple of years they wouldn’t let him go for less than a £100m.
True that. I think its corvid that changed things to be fair. I think they had planned all season to phase him out since he is arguably their most salable asset that wont cause an uproar if he leaves. So they slowly worked him out the team. Now they even got in a cheap replacement in De paul

RUCK4444

What’s actually happening on this transfer?

All I can see in the thread is that somebody posted that he’s apparently sent his representatives to the UK but nothing to say it’s United rather than the Scousers (or another team)?

Are we even properly linked with an interested?

Status
Not open for further replies.