Saúl Ñíguez \ Joins Chelsea on loan

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Simeone has dropped him -- I don't think it was because of performances, but maybe I'm wrong.

I think he's class.

Fred -- 47m
VdB -- 40m
Saul -- 45m

Seems a reasonable fee for a significant upgrade at the pivot.... He's box-to-box but an energetic defender as well.
I remember spoke to Atl Madrid fans on reddit, they didn't think he's been good enough but that was last season. I think this season he is being used a lot with Lemar but both of them are not as regular as Koke & Llorente. However, this guy is Atl Madrid through and through, release clause only works if the player himself wants to come here. Doubt Saul wants to leave Atl Madrid.

Andersons Dietician

Who actually followed his performances the last few seasons? I can never pay full attention to Atlético games when they're on.
Last season he was one of their best players and the season before that. Haven’t seen much of them this season. He is kinda like the platinum card version of McT.

Gandalf

Didn't get it. Barca want Saul plus a few millions for Greizmann?

And what are the salaries that Greizman and Saul are on?
Barca are in dire straits financially so a deal that sees them swap one good player for another whilst lowering the wage bill and netting a transfer fee is a big win for them. AM would love Antoine back and it would be a coup for them. From our perspective the best part of this is the likely financials involved should leave AM looking to recoup some of their outlay and so they might be willing to talk a sensible price for Trippier.

Andersons Dietician

This seems like such a weird move for him If it’s true. Can understand Barca wanting to get Griezman off the books at any cost but I really don’t see why Saul would want to go there. I take it Griezman would take a drastic paycut if he was going back to Atleti.

izec

Dont think it is thad bad of a move for Barca and Saul, if he finds his form again. They need someone more defensive/allrounder with energy and legs, as Pjanic (will probably leave) and Busquets dont have it. De Jong and Pedri need some help and rotation.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
This has shady deal written all over it.

If you're Atleti, what would you rather do?

(a) Sell Saul for ~50m to an English club and use the money to buy a premium young player in a buyer's market?

(b) Help out one of your two biggest rivals by exchanging Saul for a 30-year-old Griezmann and his crippling contract?

I know Griezmann had great success there previously and that Simeone's relationship with Joao Felix is reportedly not great. But the move really makes no sense unless there is some other kind of hidden part of the arrangement. If I'm Atleti, I'm happy that Barcelona is crippled and struggling to register players as it gives me a freer run at the title against next year. The last thing I want to do is help them dig out from their mess.

UpWithRivers

Tax dodge. Griezmann is on 700/800 a week! Or something stupid. What's he going to do, halve his wages?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
There’s feckery afoot, definitely. Makes zero sense for Atletico.

Tallis

I didn’t realize Athletico had deep enough pockets to pay Griezmann’s salary

UpWithRivers

Why? Saul doesnt even get in the team there and they would be getting on of their best attackers back
Because Barca bought Griezmann for what 120? So how much cash would they want plus Saul? Say Saul is worth 50? So 30 cash total 80? Barca loose 50. Ok so far so good for Atletico. But wait. Griezmann is on 45 mill a year! Lets say he goes mental and loses all ability to comprehend math and takes 30 mill a year. That's still 150 mill over 5 years. Which makes Griezmann cost = 80 mill (Saul worth 50 + 30 cash) + 150 wages = 230 mill - Sauls wages.

I obviously cant know the exact calculations because the deal is not done but any way you look at it, it will be near impossible to see a good deal for a 30 year old thats not at the levels he was when he left and getting older and devaluing.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Along with Verrati the most overrated and "the grass is always greener player".

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Because Barca bought Griezmann for what 120? So how much cash would they want plus Saul? Say Saul is worth 50? So 30 cash total 80? Barca loose 50. Ok so far so good for Atletico. But wait. Griezmann is on 45 mill a year! Lets say he goes mental and loses all ability to comprehend math and takes 30 mill a year. That's still 150 mill over 5 years. Which makes Griezmann cost = 80 mill (Saul worth 50 + 30 cash) + 150 wages = 230 mill - Sauls wages.

I obviously cant know the exact calculations because the deal is not done but any way you look at it, it will be near impossible to see a good deal for a 30 year old thats not at the levels he was when he left and getting older and devaluing.
They wont be giving Barca cash, they need to dump his wages

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Dont think it is thad bad of a move for Barca and Saul, if he finds his form again. They need someone more defensive/allrounder with energy and legs, as Pjanic (will probably leave) and Busquets dont have it. De Jong and Pedri need some help and rotation.
Makes sense for Barcelona, just doesn’t for Atletico.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Makes sense for Barcelona, just doesn’t for Atletico.
tbf Madrid aren't blessed with attacking players are they so it could be win win for both parties.

That being said I'm inclined to think it'll be lose lose, Madrid won't be getting the same Griezmann that they sold and none of Barca's recent transfer dealings have worked out so maybe they're just cursed

Idxomer

Atletico is one of the shadiest clubs around, up there with Chelsea. It's no wonder a lot of work happens between the two clubs.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
How are they going to possibly deal with Griezmann’s wages? Isn’t he on 800k a week or something equally absurd? Also he’s 30 and been in poor form. I can’t see Atlético stumping up Saul plus cash for him unless (a) Griezmann takes a pay cut (won’t happen) (b) Barca pay the difference like we did with Sanchez (given their cash flow issues it will have to be deferred a season or two) (c) It’s a straight swap and any prospective cash part of the deal is given to Griezmann directly to make him whole.

Barca would definitely be getting the better end of the deal here. Saul remains a quality player and a midfield three of De Jong, Saul and Pedri is quality, especially when you still have Busquets in reserve.

RedDevil@84

Barca are in dire straits financially so a deal that sees them swap one good player for another whilst lowering the wage bill and netting a transfer fee is a big win for them. AM would love Antoine back and it would be a coup for them. From our perspective the best part of this is the likely financials involved should leave AM looking to recoup some of their outlay and so they might be willing to talk a sensible price for Trippier.
I get all that. But isn't Greizman on 800k or some big number like that? His salary at Atletico was half of that. So unless Barca was going to pay the difference, why would Atletico agree

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I get all that. But isn't Greizman on 800k or some big number like that? His salary at Atletico was half of that. So unless Barca was going to pay the difference, why would Atletico agree
Maybe that is what they'll do.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

Didn't he supposedly lower his wages to join Barcelona in the first place?

Ath gets back a fan favourite for a player who isn't needed and he's at worst on the same contract as he was on previously.

Edit: he's paid lower now currently after the paycut, which means ath can still offer him the wages he was on last time he was there and it's still a pay increase.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
They can't be that dumb to pay the difference in wages.
Might be some workaround that if they pay the difference in wages it doesn’t count as part of the La Liga budget that they have to it. They could probably use some clever accounting to get around it. Would make perfect sense if so. They’re better off paying his wage and being able to register the new signings than being stuck with him.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Might be some workaround that if they pay the difference in wages it doesn’t count as part of the La Liga budget that they have to it. They could probably use some clever accounting to get around it. Would make perfect sense if so. They’re better off paying his wage and being able to register the new signings than being stuck with him.
Their revenue isn't keeping up with their expenditure, which was why their wage cap dropped that much. Paying Griezzman wages while he's at another team isn't going to help their situation by much.

kingwaynerooney

Supports
United
There’s feckery afoot, definitely. Makes zero sense for Atletico.
Are you serious? Barca are getting scammed in this deal. A 120m signing. In return you get Saul who is not even in the same league as Griezmann.

Atletico sell a bench player ( who was going to be sold anyway) Bought de paul and get back Griezmann. The other two spanish teams are in shambles. It;s their time to win as many league as possible and Barca have handed them another league title just like they did with Suarez last year.

Bole Top

imagine Griez and Suarez looking better at Madrid than they ever did at Barca. wouldn't be surprised if they win La Liga again.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Poor mentality from Saul imo. Barca are finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.