SAF should be ashamed

mu77

It was a crap idea to put out eleven virtual reserves - what's the point?

I'm all for giving kids etc a chance - but all at once??
lots feel the same - espeicially at the prices paid for tickets. but it's a shite cup where you could lose a vital member of the side in a meaningless game.

Dreaded

I'm sure SAF felt they had enough to win the game.
No much point in being in a competition to blood the youngsters if you have to play the experienced players to get them through!

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Has he forgot or does he not care what it takes for a supporter to get to a midweek match? leave aside the ticket price just the logistics of getting to a midweek match is a nightmare and what for to see a team that's not even our reserve team and a miserable journey home

SAF your a disappointment and a disgrace no excuses this early in the season for not playing rooney or ronaldo or tevez there all young lads for christ sake.
SAF a disgrace??

glory hunting muppet.......

INF-AMOS

I.m not quiet sure why he dropped all three of our main strikers...

Rooney needs the games coming back from injury, Saha is the same and tevez should of played because the last few games have been his pre season and he is now just starting to shine...

Just dont understand Fergie sometimes ?

olesmyhero

Emmy Moses
Has he forgot or does he not care what it takes for a supporter to get to a midweek match? leave aside the ticket price just the logistics of getting to a midweek match is a nightmare and what for to see a team that's not even our reserve team and a miserable journey home

SAF your a disappointment and a disgrace no excuses this early in the season for not playing rooney or ronaldo or tevez there all young lads for christ sake.
The League Cup hasn't been a big deal to the club for ages. We went out early last time and that worked out quite well for us. If anything this is something that will help us. We get a couple days rest extra, whilst some of our competition has to play in it. No need to feel ashamed.

eddafed

Cant help but agree with you, a big let down for all the supporters,you dont go to a restuarant and put up with bad food,if its not cooked send it back,spaghettie bolognese without the sauce is just spaghetti,thats what that perfomance was tonite, an insult to paying fans

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
Ferguson furious with United loss

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson was left "flabbergasted" by his young side's performance after their Carling Cup exit to Coventry.

The Sky Blues won through 2-0 and Ferguson said: "I did not expect that at all. I am not interested in giving reasons or mitigating circumstances.

"We have trumpeted these young lads a lot, so what has happened tonight was a big shock for us all.

"We didn't cope with the battle at all - it was just a very bad performance."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/league_cup/7015461.stm

GusHiddink

Alex Ferguson will not win another champions leagu
In the berbatov thread trying to push the deal thr
Cant help but agree with you, a big let down for all the supporters,you dont go to a restuarant and put up with bad food,if its not cooked send it back,spaghettie bolognese without the sauce is just spaghetti,thats what that perfomance was tonite, an insult to paying fans
Only a muppet goes back to the same resturant and orders the same dish every year despite how shite it has been year on year and then complains about it...only to repeat the process next year.

OldRed1

The problem with the kids is that there is no trust from SAF. If we are short of strikers he puts Giggs there, we are short of fullbacks so Fletcher plays, we are short of midfielders and O'Shea is played. I know Nani has experience of the first team but very few of the kids have. If they were played in the odd game, maybe one at a time, alongside the regulars it would certainly give them more confidence. What tends to happen is that if we need a player we buy one instead of giving youth a chance. Wenger gives his kids their chance and it pays off eventually, ours will now be, at best, unused bench warmers or given the odd 5 minutes.

phunky

Needs to change his underwear
if he puts on the first-teamers, and they get injured, it'd be an different tune all around. fair enough, maybe the young ones should be bedded in slowly, but which first-teamers do you play then? Ronnie, Rooney or Saha?

like somebody else said, if he doesn't have them played in the League Cup which is the last of our priority, then where else?

Sonny Feehan

I don't know - maybe not.

But you can't throw eleven players together and expect them to be a team. It doesn't always work with top class players, let alone kids and reserves.

I know that other trophies are more important than the Carling Cup, but we should have pride whenever we take the field, in whatever competition.
It's a tough call but I agree with you and it must have been very dissapointing for those fans who rarely get the chance to see a game at OT. It was a different era I know but both Best and Edwards played for the 1st team, the youth team, and for their country in the same week.

marcus agrippa

The problem with the kids is that there is no trust from SAF. If we are short of strikers he puts Giggs there, we are short of fullbacks so Fletcher plays, we are short of midfielders and O'Shea is played. I know Nani has experience of the first team but very few of the kids have. If they were played in the odd game, maybe one at a time, alongside the regulars it would certainly give them more confidence. What tends to happen is that if we need a player we buy one instead of giving youth a chance. Wenger gives his kids their chance and it pays off eventually, ours will now be, at best, unused bench warmers or given the odd 5 minutes.
i agree, to the extent that Fergie doesn't seem to trust the youngsters any more.

Fergie claims that he is shocked that Coventry bear us given how much we have 'trumpeted these kids'. maybe he shouldn't be, given that they haven't really been played together much. a lot of them haven't played competitively since the season started.

that said, the likes of Pique, Nani, Anderson, Evans, Simpson, Bardsley really have few excuses since they've played at a higher than reserve level.

cloud218

The young players missed their chance to impress, and missed their chance to play more first team football.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
every one of them will have learned from this defeat....including Fergie...
bet if we had half these players playing with seniors we would have won easily...

but lets not forget...we have a must win League match on Saturday and a Must win CL match away to Roma on Tuesday....they have to be more important....
I know this will be the case for the other teams too...but we are behind in the League...and we need to get a good grip on the CL group...we have the toughest group of all the 4 English teams....

marcus agrippa

every one of them will have learned from this defeat....including Fergie...
bet if we had half these players playing with seniors we would have won easily...

but lets not forget...we have a must win League match on Saturday and a Must win CL match away to Roma on Tuesday....they have to be more important....
I know this will be the case for the other teams too...but we are behind in the League...and we need to get a good grip on the CL group...we have the toughest group of all the 4 English teams....
we are at home to Roma

Chapster

guys it's obviously because the glazers took a leaf out of roman's book and selected the team

they wanted a team where they could pronunce all the names (as they are spelt phonetically), not like 'scholes' which has a sort of silent h and that e just makes it so dang difficult to pronounce

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
If our young forwards cant breach Coventry's defense then I doubt that they will do us any good against Arsenal or Chelsea.

fatboy

I think Fergie fielded a team that was more than capable of winning, especially playing at home. It's the team who have let the players down and should be ashamed.

This team should have at least progressed another round or two at least.

Ixion

I'm not going to criticise Sir Alex but I am dissapointed with the team he fielded, mainly for the 74,000 fans who made the trip and paid good money to see the game, I think its a little disrespectful to put out a glorified reserve team. He could have at least put Rooney on the bench after it was in the press he was desperate to play in the match.

fredthered

I want Peter Kenyon back
The League Cup hasn't been a big deal to the club for ages.
2006 wasnt that long ago you know...

I seem to recall no one thinking it was a small trophy when the Glazer cnuts were dancing around the changing room with the players as if they'd just won the euro lottery..

CnutOfAllCnuts

Bald Boring Cnut
Personally, I am glad the likes of van der Sar, Rio, Vidic, Evra, Scholes, Ronaldo and Rooney weren't risked.

Everyone knows Sir Alex plays the reserves in (the early rounds at least) the Mickey Mouse cup.

Julian Denny

I don't beleive for one minute that the club couldn't care less about the CC. After all there is the pride of trying to win any competition United enters plus a responsibility to put on a good show for the fans who pitch up for the match - in this case a remarkable 74 000.

Having said that it is an opportunity to give some youngsters a run in the first team against spirited opposition in front of a large house. I think a ratio of 60/40 between experience and youth is quite acceptable - perhaps even 50/50. In that respect Fergie cannot be criticised for the team he put out. In fact it could be argued that each and every one of the players had had first team experience and some had international experience as well. Fergie was entitled to expect a lot more from the team he selected. The only criticism that cold be levelled would be that perhaps he should have kept a small but significant nucleus from the current first team - including say Tevez and Rooney.

Not only is this result a tremendous blow to the youngsters trying to make an impression but it now curtails their chances of first team action again this season . A run in the CC would have given them valuable experience as the opposition became even more testing with each round.

There is always the FAC to come but after this experience, Fergie is not likely to give so many "reserves" a chance in one go. The Club has too great a respect for that competition and United's tremendous record in it.

dev1l

Only a muppet goes back to the same resturant and orders the same dish every year despite how shite it has been year on year and then complains about it...only to repeat the process next year.
Fergie a muppet? :lol: But what about Dowie? Up to yesterday, Coventry's best player last night, Mifsud, was not a regular in the team.
I mean, I cannot see hundreds of players better than Mifsud at Coventry City...
Just before Coventry's 2nd goal, he humilated Pique imo, who BTW lacked terribly out of pace yesterday.

Rahul

Fergie a muppet? :lol: But what about Dowie? Up to yesterday, Coventry's best player last night, Mifsud, was not a regular in the team.
I mean, I cannot see hundreds of players better than Mifsud at Coventry City...
Just before Coventry's 2nd goal, he humilated Pique imo, who BTW lacked terribly out of pace yesterday.
Pique is a good player, but i have to agree he does lack pace, ALOT of pace. Can't necessarily see him competing against Rio, Vida or Brown. That also being said i heard Evans was just as bad yesterday.

Disappointing result any way you look at it. Lose 2-0....at home...to Coventry....with 6 internationals. This is a match to push under the rug for defo.

dev1l

Having said that , I still agree that Fergie should use the reserve players in such game - with such a big squad, you cannot expect to let players make their seasonal debut with the first team late in March...

CnutOfAllCnuts

Bald Boring Cnut
Having said that , I still agree that Fergie should use the reserve players in such game - with such a big squad, you cannot expect to let players make their seasonal debut with the first team late in March...
Erh, they still run the risk of that, as that wasn't a "first team seasonal debut" for anyone, seeing as it was the reseverves

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Erh, they still run the risk of that, as that wasn't a "first team seasonal debut" for anyone, seeing as it was the reseverves
None of those did anything at all to enhance their reputations last night. It was an abysmal performance. Not so much the lack of quality that was the problem, more the fact that Coventry beat us to every ball.

Anderson showed some glimpses of brilliance though.

dev1l

Fergie in one of the interviews summed it up "nicely" - they were before us on every ball

bcubed

Endeavouring to persevere in observation of all th
A lot of good points being made and a lot of shite talked, plus the usuall blatant muppetry.

I don't give a feck about the CC to be honest, though I do about the supporters and the "pride of performance".

I also wouldn't have liked to see one of the main men get a long term injury to an "over zealous", (and rightfully so), Coventry player.

The way I see it everyone was partially to blame. The players on display for their actuall performances and the management for possibly expecting too much. It's no good expecting Coventry to turn up and pussyfoot around, they came to win, and Dowie has a good record of getting the best out of what he has and his teams will always give 100%.

In defence of the payers we had on show, how many times has it been said on here that some of our transfer targets would be amazing when they get to play with better players? Well i'm afraid our lads didn't get to. They got to play (mainly) with their reserve mates against a very fired up Coventry team.

I think to be fair to everyone no more than four youngsters should have started (excluding PIG), with another three or four on the bench.

We have to put it to bed and move on now, more important fish to fry.

fadas

If he'd played Ronaldo last night & he got injured, everyone would be moaning, saying he should have rested the main men for the bigger games to come.

More worrying is the fact that Arsenal's "kids" regularly go far in this competition and he sent them away to Newcastle the other night and they were all over them.

Ours don't look capable.

green demon

Caf Nostradamous 2008
Near to nowhere, in the suburbs of Amnesia.
Our membership of the league means we are forced to take part in this competition: I feel that Fergie doesn't really want to.

However, it's the same mistake that countless England managers have made by changing whole teams, at half time etc. How do you know who will fit in your top team unless you bring the reserves into the first team? You can only see if they fit when they play with mainly first team players, so there should be no more than 3 or 4 reserves at a time even in the League Cup.

So now where will Fergie be able to test these second team players?