SAF: Tottenham Play The Best Football In The Country.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Agree? Disagree?

I think our boss is on to something there. When City stumble, they seem to lose fluidity. Win or lose, Spurs seem to keep their principles and ethos in place.

Unfortunately, we're not even in the running for this off the back of the last few months.

Gee Male

Toss up between them and City really if we're excluding ourselves. Sir Alex isn't going to say our bitter rivals.
He's not going to say us either - leave it to City to big themselves up as the "English Barcelona".

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
They are certainly giving it a go over the last 12 months, much to be admired and respected with Tottenham at the moment.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I think we play better football than Spurs.
This season?

Maybe for the first month... but they've been flying, and not in the usual Spurs' kamikaze way, either. Actually look a good team whilst being aesthetically pleasing.

We've not looked pretty for the majority of the season thus far.

Drifter

American
Credit to Redknapp.He's finally got Spurs playing the way their fans have been crying out for.Healthy for the PL to.

Gee Male

This season?

Maybe for the first month... but they've been flying, and not in the usual Spurs' kamikaze way, either. Actually look a good team whilst being aesthetically pleasing.

We've not looked pretty for the majority of the season thus far.
I think we've looked pretty good for the vast majority of the league so far, with a small dip in the middle. Spurs in contrast have looked good for the last 11 or 12 games, after being poor at the start. Swings and roundabouts really.

It all depends on what you think of as "good football" though, which is very subjective. I'm not denying that Spurs are good to watch, but I always think United get overlooked in terms of this sort of thing.

Of course, the stats would appear to back up my argument, considering we've scored 13 goals more than Spurs (or 139% of what Spurs have scored) and have completed almost 400 passes more than them, albeit with a game extra played. We've also conceded less.

But as I said, it's all subjective and stats can't really be relied on that much with this type of thing.

Devil may care

I think he's right, I prefer watching Spurs over every other club bar United, and yes that includes the two Spanish teams with their rosters of mega stars, as I'm not a fan of walkovers.

Ray Peterson

Reserve Team Player
I wouldn't argue with Sir Alex. I think we started off playing amazing football and then it went pear shaped. Possibly due to injuries, possibly due to tightening up after being spanked by city. Over the last few weeks we've started to play nicely again.
Spurs are definitely the entertaining team at the moment, I think we'll start matching them in the entertainment stakes if our current form continues though.

MUFCgal

I think he's right, I prefer watching Spurs over every other club bar United, and yes that includes the two Spanish teams with their rosters of mega stars, as I'm not a fan of walkovers.
This. Not afraid to say I have a soft spot for Spurs.

Always like seeing them do well, apart from against us of course ;)

Ole90+3

I've always though Spurs play good football. Well since I can remember anyway (10/11 years). I'd say their ethos is quite similar to ours, expoloit thing wings, full back overlap etc. Love watching a battler and a creative player midfield and then 2 speedy, skillfull wingers.

I always really enjoy watching Tottenham, and you have to respect the fact they go out every game and play the same style.

Gee Male

When we're flying and on form yes...but not when we are winning 1-0 with half our team out of position.

Spurs do play the better football, but unfortunately you have to win ugly which they sometimes dont.
That's a bit akin to saying that Spurs play good football when they're not getting beat 5-1 at home by City with a load of injuries.

Both teams at their best, United play better football than Spurs IMO.

nemanja nemagic

I agree with pogue, classic trolling from SAF. Although watching spurs against norwich was spellbinding at times, I distinctly remember one move that ended with Ruddy palming away a shot from Bale. One and two touch football round corners from deep inside their own half, it was brilliant.

davisjw

Spurs play the direct, fast passing game with speedy wingers to counter. City play the powerful game that Chelsea was known for in the past. I'd much rather watch Spurs.

Gee Male

Spurs play the direct, fast passing game with speedy wingers to counter. City play the powerful game that Chelsea was known for in the past. I'd much rather watch Spurs.
City are much better to watch than Chelsea ever were in fairness. City play through Silva, Chelsea played through Lampard. Chalk and cheese.

Plan M

Agreed. Spurs play some gorgeous stuff at times but then again, so do we and City.

Lance Uppercut

This. Not afraid to say I have a soft spot for Spurs.

Always like seeing them do well, apart from against us of course ;)
I used to as well. Then I joined the Caf, and, well.....you know.

Varun

Staff
Best football in the league? Not for me. Both us and city are right up there. Sir Alex wouldnt name either though so it had to be spurs. That said, they do play wonderful football.

Gee Male

I think Fergie just said it to piss City/Mancini off.
Actually, thinking about it, is it more of a dig at Arsenal?

Arsenal have claimed to be the best footballing team in the league for years now, whether you agree with it or not. Is SAF having a dig at them saying that their North London rivals have not only overtaken them in terms of league position (thus far this season) but also in terms of entertainment?

TheHorse'sMouth

Supports
Arsenal

Arsenal have claimed to be the best footballing team in the league for years now, whether you agree with it or not. Is SAF having a dig at them saying that their North London rivals have not only overtaken them in terms of league position (thus far this season) but also in terms of entertainment?
When have we ever 'claimed' to be the best footballing side in the country? That was a tag the media put onto us..I don't think we're as smooth as we have been in past years. We're getting there though, seeing as we bought a whole new team over the summer.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
We've played some good stuff in recent weeks and at the start of the season. Otherwise we have been average to watch.

It's done the job through a difficult time though, so very pleasing. Spurs have played more attractive stuff on the whole..taking the season up to now into consideration. But they've dropped silly points.

City have been fantastic. Scary as feck at times to be honest. But they can't play like that all season.

Gee Male

When have we ever 'claimed' to be the best footballing side in the country? That was a tag the media put onto us..I don't think we're as smooth as we have been in past years. We're getting there though, seeing as we bought a whole new team over the summer.
Absolutely agree, I phrased that badly. Though most of your fans that I know personally bought into that media thing - according to them Arsenal were the English Barcelona Mark I.

Any chance SAF was alluding to that in his comments though? Or am I reading too much into a throwaway line?

Plan M

Or how about Fergie actually thinks that Spurs are playing the best footy, because, you know, they are...

Gee Male

Or how about Fergie actually thinks that Spurs are playing the best footy, because, you know, they are...
As I said, I disagree.

Plus, I always like to read more into SAF's comments than is necessary - I'm an idiot like that :)

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Maybe usually but surely you can't mean this season? We lost against the 2 Manchester clubs, while we had half a team, no Parker or Adebayor and the Modric thing was hanging over us and we got foyed at the Britannia. Other than that, we've drawn at SJP, which we have done for time immemorial and against Chelsea.

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
Spurs play some great football. They have a very good squad these days too. Tbf I think most teams Redknapp has managed, have all played good football, regardless of the result or overall success.
I remember West Ham used to be a great team to watch. Pompey weren't bad either.
Pity about his time at Southampton though.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
I think he is only saying this because everyone and their nan thinks - knows - that City's high class whores play the best football in the league

vic090482

I agree with Sir Alex. They are playing much better than any of the overhyped "beautiful football" Arsenal teams of the past.