Salman Rushdie attacked on stage in New York

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Could go in the 'Religion, what's the point?' thread.

Can't believe after all these years some religious kook would want to kill him. Turn the fecking page.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
Absolutely dispicable. I hope he's okay and making a recovery

The original Satanic Verses is part of Muhammed's biography and it essentially shows him to be a fraud. As he claimed for 6 months that Allah shared divinity with 2 goddesses, which is against the basic premise of Islam. After the 6 months Muhammed supposedly finds out that the devil was tricking him the whole time. Like didn't Gabriel come and give you a heads up anytime in those 6 months Mo?

I don't think anyone any 'Sheihk' read Satanic Verses, they just know anything highlighting this story in his biography essentially shows their religion up as fraudulant.

Last edited:

MoskvaRed

Horrible news.

Is there are any other book with such an inverse proportion between its fame/infamy and the number of people who have read it? Has anyone on here read it (I haven’t)?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Horrible news.

Is there are any other book with such an inverse proportion between its fame/infamy and the number of people who have read it? Has anyone on here read it (I haven’t)?
Mein Kampf?

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Horrible news.

I made an attempt like 16 years ago but I didn't make it through it.

frostbite

It is not the first attack. Reminder:

"Ayatollah Khomeini issued the fatwa calling for Salmon Rushdie's death, Rushdie's Japanese translator was killed, his Italian translator and his Norwegian publisher were both stabbed (didn't die) and his Turkish translator ducked, but the attackers burned down his hotel and killed 37 non-fatwa folks."

It is a shame that people do things like that for their "faith". It is a shame that millions think it is still the 12th century.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
Horrible news.

I tried reading it. It's kind of fantasy, with a few Islamic characters. I found it a bit boring tbh. I don't think it insulted Islam, other than representing some of their figures in a story.

Maybe if a Fatwa wasn't issued he'd have wrote a better sequal

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Horrible news.

I have. Seemed like absolute drivel, albeit I was a teenager. Don't feel the need to reread to check the diagnosis though.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Mein Kampf?
I had to read parts of that for a history essay. It's extremely tumescent- bone dry and tough going.

Hopefully good news that he apparently walked off stage with help. I saw Ian McEwan put out a nice statement in defence of free speech, wishing his mate Rushdie well.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
What that guy did is not allowed in Islam. Fyi.
Huh. I thought you were being sarcastic.

Seems like this person might have a different interpretation.

Regardless the interpretation, the religion is ultimately at fault here.

Ibi Dreams

Huh. I thought you were being sarcastic.

Seems like this person might have a different interpretation.

Regardless the interpretation, the religion is ultimately at fault here.
Radicalisation and quite possibly mental health issues are at fault, not the religion

SinNombre

You can't separate the radicalization from the religion, certainly not in this case.
An Abrahamic religion that hasn't had a reformation will always be easily radicalized. It is not even a debatable topic.

frostbite

Ayatollah Khomeini issued the fatwa calling for Salmon Rushdie's death. Khomeini is not Islam?

There are many idiots who are Christians, and many Christians who are idiots, but at least the Christian Church leaders do not ask anyone to kill someone else "for their faith".

hobbers

Never fails to amaze how so many people can be so enamoured with their religion and yet so fragile and insecure when others just gently poke and prod a bit of its doctrine.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Horrible news.

It’s one of a small number of books I’ve started but not finished. I mean to give it another go. I loved Midnight’s Children but Rushdie’s magic realism can be tough to stick with.

One thing is certain - a lot more people are going to read it after this incident than would have bothered before.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Muhammed was not a peacefull guy. He threatened all the neighboring kingdom's with hell if they didn't convert to Islam and accept him as the messenger of God. And the kingdom of the brothers of Oman he threatened directly with war. He spent a fair amount of his time in medina warring and raiding, and he enslaved the women and children of the enemies he defeated. One of his last commands before he died was to expel all Jews, Christians and polytheists from Arabia. He's considered to be the best of all men and the role model for all Muslims to follow. To me its kind of obvious why having a founder like Muhammed is fairly problematic. It doesn't mean that most Muslims aren't decent or lovely people but if people say it's the religion of peace I'm like honestly give me a break.

diarm

It’s one of a small number of books I’ve started but not finished. I mean to give it another go. I loved Midnight’s Children but Rushdie’s magic realism can be tough to stick with.

One thing is certain - a lot more people are going to read it after this incident than would have bothered before.
I was just thinking to myself that I must buy a copy to see what all the fuss is about.

Never crossed my mind to before.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout