Sam Johnstone

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
You should probably get your aul facts right before wading in !

He turned 21 in March.

I presume you're thinking of Amos?
I'm guessing it's a typo. I'm sure he knows Dave's not 26.

m1y2

well there is no reason to keep him as no3 goalkeeper. He must play and come back stronger to do no2 the next year once lindegaard finally leaves. Amos can do no3. He won't get any time on the pitch so we should not be afraid. As for me have no clue what Amos is doing here.. Anyway Sam is going to find it tough here anyway he hasn't got much chances to be our keeper in next 10 years so if he consider leaving than it's rational decision and would absolutely make sense as he is premier league material.. Anyway we seem to have two great prospects younger than him too. Pereira and Milinkovic are younger so have bigger chance..

JoaquinJoaquin

To be honest Johnstone should be our 3rd choice this year, He is better than Amos already and why Amos is still at the club at 24 shows he obviously has no personal ambition. It does look like Johnstone will have to leave the club though to get regular football, It's a shame but Dave just simply cannot be replaced

Acole9

Outstanding
Fourth choice goalkeeper here. Might become fifth if we end up signing Valdes in the next couple of weeks so the move makes sense to give him some football.

Sid234

Looks like he's continuing his form at Preston.. Playing really well for them

khoazany

Looks like he's continuing his form at Preston.. Playing really well for them
One of the biggest English GK talent around that sadly will not likely to reach his potential because he grew up playing for Manchester United - who almost never had any first team regular GK that came through the academy.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
One of the biggest English GK talent around that sadly will not likely to reach his potential because he grew up playing for Manchester United - who almost never had any first team regular GK that came through the academy.
In fairness he will probably leave at some point fairly soon and go on to have a very good career. Tom Heaton has done very well for himself since leaving and IMO, although not exceptional in any area, is one of the most solid all round English keepers out there. Johnstone is much more naturally talented so should go on to do even better.

khoazany

In fairness he will probably leave at some point fairly soon and go on to have a very good career. Tom Heaton has done very well for himself since leaving and IMO, although not exceptional in any area, is one of the most solid all round English keepers out there. Johnstone is much more naturally talented so should go on to do even better.
Definitely.My point is if he left United at let's say 18 and joined a smaller club he would have been as hyped as Butland. Instead now he still has to play League One football.

Gollini for example began to get games at Serie A.

TwoSheds

Definitely.My point is if he left United at let's say 18 and joined a smaller club he would have been as hyped as Butland. Instead now he still has to play League One football.

Gollini for example began to get games at Serie A.
Well yeah but what's Butland up to now? Steady progression is great for a goalkeeper. At this moment if I had to choose between Heaton and Butland for England's 3rd choice keeper it would be Heaton every time.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Disagree. His "potential" is a nebulous enough concept but, if anything, he'll be a better keeper for having trained with United's keepers/coaches than he would have been if he'd spent his whole career with Preston.

His career is only starting anyway. Absolutely loads of time left for him to see if he can go on to be considered as one of the very best keepers around.

Last edited:

TwoSheds

Nonsense. His "potential" is a nebulous enough concept but, if anything, he'll be a better keeper for having trained with United's keepers/coaches than he would have been if he'd spent his whole career with Preston.
Indeed. He's trained with Van Der Sar, De Gea and possibly Valdes. Alongside Lindegaard, Amos, Heaton amongst others. Not a bad list that.

Sid234

i agree with @khoazany

Zeiler's been excellent in the Bundesliga but hardly got a sniff of 1st team football when he was with us.. Johnstone might develop into a top GK if he moves to a smaller team and plays every week

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
i agree with @khoazany

Zeiler's been excellent in the Bundesliga but hardly got a sniff of 1st team football when he was with us.. Johnstone might develop into a top GK if he moves to a smaller team and plays every week
Zieler is a good goalkeeper (No way excellent.....for example he has made a big mistake today and that wasn't his first big one this season).
And he hasn't joined Hannover and was suddenly their number 1 in the goal......he was on the bench the first months and then got a chance because the other goalkeeper was just awful. I just wanna say that you leave United and then you are from Day 1 the number 1 goalkeeper at a decent german 1.Bundesliga club.

Bayern Munich's last goalkeeper from their academy was 30 years ago.
It's just a difficult position at top clubs to give young players a chance over a longer period.
Van Gaal has given Thomas Kraft (He was from their own academy.....now at Hertha BSC Berlin) his debut but the Bayern Munich board members were totally against this decision......they wanted Neuer. Obviously we all know now that was the right decision to buy Neuer and not trust academy product Kraft.......but young academy goalkeepers are needing more people who are rating them as just the coach/manager.
Let's say Casillas goes to MLS next season, there is a excellent young goalkeeper at Real Madrid's academy and Ancelotti wants to give him a chance next season.....but they could get De Gea for 30m......we all know who would be their goalkeeper then next season.

Would De Gea be our goalkeeper if he would have come from our academy???

Last edited:

Red_toad

Would De Gea be our goalkeeper if he would have come from our academy???

Impossible to answer.

But would most likely have been loaned out & if he'd excelled would have gotten a chance at some point, let's not forget before and after VDS we gave plenty of keepers a go. I can't honestly think of one from the youth set up who looked as good as De Gea did at a very young age for a keeper.
Sam could get a chance at United if Big Dave moves on. The list of top quality keepers who aren't already at a top club is very small & anyone good enough to try and replace him would be very difficult to attain.

khoazany

Impossible to answer.

But would most likely have been loaned out & if he'd excelled would have gotten a chance at some point, let's not forget before and after VDS we gave plenty of keepers a go. I can't honestly think of one from the youth set up who looked as good as De Gea did at a very young age for a keeper.
Sam could get a chance at United if Big Dave moves on. The list of top quality keepers who aren't already at a top club is very small & anyone good enough to try and replace him would be very difficult to attain.
That's why I'm furious to see him wasting another year in League One (he already played there when he's 19).He's one of the best GK in the Championship last season ffs.Obviously chances that he'll make it for us is very slim but the way we handle his development didn't do him much favour.

jb8521

He had the option of going to Championship clubs it was his decision to go to Preston because his father played there and he wanted to help them get promoted. I think he'll leave United at the end of the season.

Pogue Mahone

That's why I'm furious to see him wasting another year in League One (he already played there when he's 19).He's one of the best GK in the Championship last season ffs.Obviously chances that he'll make it for us is very slim but the way we handle his development didn't do him much favour.
Furious? Wasted? Fecking hell. He's a very young keeper playing every week and constantly learning and developing. As this isn't a computer simulation, it's extremely unlikely to do his development any harm at all to play a season in League 1. At the end of the day, his job is keeping the ball out of the net. Makes next to no difference whether the ball is being fired at him by players earning a living in the Championship or League One.

Gopher Brown

Furious? Wasted? Fecking hell. He's a very young keeper playing every week and constantly learning and developing. As this isn't a computer simulation, it's extremely unlikely to do his development any harm at all to play a season in League 1. At the end of the day, his job is keeping the ball out of the net. Makes next to no difference whether the ball is being fired at him by players earning a living in the Championship or League One.
Also, the physicality of these leagues may benefit him more. The only problem might be improving his concentration skills, as top keepers excel even when they have one save to make the entire game.

Although the way we play, de Gea has about 10 saves to make per game.

Decotron

I can see his point to an extent but agree with the above. All experience is useful. If anything playing at that level he finds himself less protected by refs so commanding his area and coming for crosses presents a far greater physical challenge.

Silly i know but I wanted to see him ahead of Lindegaard in our own pecking order.

Ah well it'll only cost us 15mill or so to buy him back in about 3 seasons :drool:

Pogue Mahone

Also, the physicality of these leagues may benefit him more. The only problem might be improving his concentration skills, as top keepers excel even when they have one save to make the entire game.

Although the way we play, de Gea has about 10 saves to make per game.
Good point about concentration but that's not about the league, so much as the team. He'd probably be busier playing for a team that's bottom of the PL than one which is top of League 1.

Red_toad

Would you rather he sat on the bench at a premier league club? As I don't see any team giving him minutes with his level of experience. Very hard finding a decent level club be willing to give game time to a young keeper from another club. I think being furious at United for how he's been handled is a tad bizarre a statement to be making? I think United have managed him very well thus far & the lad should go on to have a good career.

khoazany

Good point about concentration but that's not about the league, so much as the team. He'd probably be busier playing for a team that's bottom of the PL than one which is top of League 1.
By your logic we would be fine sending him to a top Conference team.

I'm not saying he won't learn anything in League One but surely more experience in a higher level would help his career more.If you were a PL manager obviously you will prefer a GK with 2 years Championship experience than one with only 1 year of Championship experience, assuming other attributes are equal.Especially with the GK position it's extremely important to give the manager the confidence that you already could perform well in a certain high level of football.Just like there's a difference between playing GK for Manchester United than let's say a top Championship team.Regardless of how well he perform at Preston he probably have to play another season in the Championship next season to "prove" himself while if he had another Championship loan (no need to be at a top team) and performed well he might have a decent chance to step up a level next season.Sometimes it's not all about ability but also to "get enough attention".

Anyway if it's his choice to go to Preston then all I have to say is good luck to him.

Flying_Heckfish

Better that he plays though than sit on our bench, or worse.

It's difficult at a top club because the matches are nearly always important. One position where you pretty much have to buy in players. Let's look at the top clubs' 'keepers in the prem now:

- Courtois had 3 seasons at Atleti
- Hart was loaned out multiple times. When he came back City were only just growing so had a little less pressure than he would now.
- Szczęsny had only one season out on loan. Has been a bit in and out of the side over the years, Arsenal always seemingly looking for someone better
- Lloris, Mignolet, De Gea and Forster were all bought in after impressing at other clubs.

It was strange that he moved from Doncaster to Preston on the face of it, but if he feels happy there then maybe there is more to it. He should look for a Championship club next season and build from there. Who knows, maybe in the future he will have a shot at our #1 spot, but for now he just needs to keep building up that experience.

jb8521

I'm not saying he won't learn anything in League One but surely more experience in a higher level would help his career more.If you were a PL manager obviously you will prefer a GK with 2 years Championship experience than one with only 1 year of Championship experience, assuming other attributes are equal.Especially with the GK position it's extremely important to give the manager the confidence that you already could perform well in a certain high level of football.Just like there's a difference between playing GK for Manchester United than let's say a top Championship team.Regardless of how well he perform at Preston he probably have to play another season in the Championship next season to "prove" himself while if he had another Championship loan (no need to be at a top team) and performed well he might have a decent chance to step up a level next season.Sometimes it's not all about ability but also to "get enough attention".

Anyway if it's his choice to go to Preston then all I have to say is good luck to him.
I dont think these things are quite as much of an issue for keepers as they are for out field players especially when it comes to young keepers. Jack Butland for example played for England a few months after playing for Cheltenham in league 2. While this is an extreme example I think its beneficial for young keepers to get experience of different situations no matter what the level where for out field players it can be slightly pointless if they're blatantly too good for the level.

Pogue Mahone

The idea that playing League One football is essentially the same as playing in a Conference team is a straw man, so I'll ignore it.

He's 21 years old. There's no desperate rush to play in the Premier League. If anything it would do him good spending the next few years playing in the Championship (or, yes, even in League One) wherever he is guaranteed to play competitive football every week, so that he's 100% ready for the step up to the highest level in another 2 or 3 years time. If he's a really exceptional talent, he could still be fast-tracked. An excellent season with PNE, followed by a high profile Championship team could easily see him playing in the PL by the time he's not much over 23.

I just don't see why him spending a season on loan at PNE is such a big deal that you would be "furious" about the decision, or say that this means "sadly he will not reach his potential". Seems an incredibly melodramatic way of looking at things.

Decotron

Better that he plays though than sit on our bench, or worse.

It's difficult at a top club because the matches are nearly always important. One position where you pretty much have to buy in players. Let's look at the top clubs' 'keepers in the prem now:

- Courtois had 3 seasons at Atleti
- Hart was loaned out multiple times. When he came back City were only just growing so had a little less pressure than he would now.
- Szczęsny had only one season out on loan. Has been a bit in and out of the side over the years, Arsenal always seemingly looking for someone better
- Lloris, Mignolet, De Gea and Forster were all bought in after impressing at other clubs.

It was strange that he moved from Doncaster to Preston on the face of it, but if he feels happy there then maybe there is more to it. He should look for a Championship club next season and build from there. Who knows, maybe in the future he will have a shot at our #1 spot, but for now he just needs to keep building up that experience.
Not that it matters but he didn't really play a lot of loan football bar his spell with Birmingham.

I think his time with Shrewsbury was where he really made his name. I certainly remember him doing better there than with Birmingham.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Not that it matters but he didn't really play a lot of loan football bar his spell with Birmingham.

I think his time with Shrewsbury was where he really made his name. I certainly remember him doing better there than with Birmingham.
He performed extremely well for Birmingham. City hatred aside, he was pretty much keeping them up single handedly.