Sanchez's return | is not happening - he signs for Inter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icemav

Its always hard to disect with hindsight why a fairly highly regarded player turns out to be a dreadful signing. Think Torres and when he arrived at Chelsea.

Personally having watched Sanchez live something never clicked for me and therefore despite his performances and praise I have never been particularly concerned about him. Unlike say Van Persie. So that aside and also things like his form prior to the signing.....

What I can't get is the logic of bringing him in. That season we had a beautiful tandem on the left with Martial/Rashford and they were genuinely ripping teams apart and developing extremely well. Then the surprise Sanchez signing happens and the CAF are all guessing that he will fill the hole on the right wing. But no he comes in and takes the left wing spot and kills one of the most productive areas of our team, stumps the development of our 2 most talented youngsters, and this materializes in a stretch of very poor form.

I still for the life of me can't understand why the club and the manager would pay out such outrageous fees and destabalize our squad for a position that we didn't need to strengthen. For all his detractors I can't see Ole doing something as assinine.

Mark Pawelek

I mean, surely he can get to a level of not being completely fecking useless. I really don’t think Ole wants him, I don’t think his attitude or personality fits in this dressing room. All speculation since I haven’t got a clue really, it’s just the impression I get when you read about him. Reckon he’ll get game time purely to put him in the shop window though. The caf will melt down even if gets 10 minutes in the third round of the league cup.
Surely there are Chinese clubs who'd take him on loan? I reckon giving a player game time to put him in the shop window is a myth, or bad manager thing. Ole wants to win, why would Ole sacrifice a match when he's not in control of selling players?

Red_toad

I doubt Ole will have him in the squad if he returns. He was supposed to have had an altercation with Greenwood in training, so it looks like Ole decided whom was more valuable to him.

Withnail

I hope to never see him in a United shirt again but I can only see him up front in and around the box in games with no defensive duties against poor opposition in the early stages of the cups/Europe.

He's never been effective on the left for us and just doesn't have the legs.

Mark Pawelek

I know it will be hard to argue this one but I will try:

Given Veron's reputation at the time he was signed for us and how well he could influentiate some european games, it can be argued that he was utterly disappointing in the Premier League overall, and having been part of a United squad with truly world class players at the time, it's mind blowing how he couldn't really fit in. Therefore, he could be just as bad of a signing as Sanchez, or worse taking into consideration that Sanchez played with players much lesser talented than the squad Veron was in... you can at least come up with a few cases of players with big names who made a mockery of their time here...
  • I have some fond memories of Veron's football. Can't remember Sanchez's
  • United got half the transfer fee back when Veron was sold
  • Veron was more a signing who didn't suit PL than a bad signing

norm87cro

It was a bad investment in our part and nobody can really blame Sanchez for accepting such a large amount of money from the club. We should really cut our losses with him and it really isn't personal either.

Strelok

I wasn't gassed about it, because I thought Martial was doing the job he came to take over. I definitely didn't expect him to be this bad or past it, but I don't think you can say everybody was excited about him coming in, because I wasn't the only one who was concerned about him coming in, especially when it became clear he wouldn't play on the right wing (where it would have actually been an exciting prospect at the time).
I was, but I was thinking he'd play our years absent RW. He did play RW at Udinese, a lot. Didn't see or expect him displaced Martial. Martial at that time was in very good form, scored or assisted basically every game.

One of our worst ever signings, indeed on of the worst in the history of the PL. Miki has been just as awful. The amount of money spent on those two, over the past few years, and both of them have been sent to Italy with their parent clubs highly subsidising their wages.

very expensive mistake along with the likes of Schweinsteiger and Lukuku - it showed we didn’t do our due diligence on their fitness and attitudes.

he would benefit us so little coming back, that it’s better to cut him loose and have him stinking out the dressing room for a game every few weeks in the league cup.

I’d say thanks for the memories, but it’s literally only the piano that I can remember - that was a great unveiling, although not worth the £80m + he’s costing us.

Withnail

Veron was a f-in great player...

Seriously though Veron had some great games for us, mostly with Neville beside him when Keane was injured iirc.

I remember some great link-up play between him and Giggs.

I'm my mind he was a lot better for us than Sanchez.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I feel like Ole's comments about not having assholes in the team might have been aimed at him. Apparently he was a drain on the Arsenal locker room too. I think the club hoped that inter would buy him so we could get his big wages off our books.

Maybe he'll go on another subsidised loan next season.
Im with you on this. A loan is the best for him. He's not what we want or expected for such an investment. Time to stop flogging the the dead horse.
It's over for Sanchez.

The most disappointing transfer ever for United

Luke1995

Not everyon's 31 is the same. Plenty of players went past it as they turned 29/30 and some keep playing at the top till their mid thirties. The human body is not that predictable for everyone.
Yeah, but Sanchez did play well in the Copa America last year. Maybe something is still there...

Luke1995

Well that's because Sanchez never really had a good game here... he scored a few goals but never played well...

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Ten years from now, Sanchez will most likely the least remembered United player yet when remembered as the biggest disappointment in our history.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yeah, but Sanchez did play well in the Copa America last year. Maybe something is still there...
Half the teams in the Copa are rubbish. Anyway lots of people have good tournaments but it doesn't mean much.

He's also just had a very bad injury which who knows if he will recover from. Best to pass him on.

Luke1995

Half the teams in the Copa are rubbish. Anyway lots of people have good tournaments but it doesn't mean much.

He's also just had a very bad injury which who knows if he will recover from. Best to pass him on.
I am still skeptical about the possibility, or should I say, the likehood of selling him. There are no reports on potential clubs who might be interested. None.

I think the club will just be stuck with him in the end. Whether it be at first team squad or with the younger players.

Luke1995

Its always hard to disect with hindsight why a fairly highly regarded player turns out to be a dreadful signing. Think Torres and when he arrived at Chelsea.

Personally having watched Sanchez live something never clicked for me and therefore despite his performances and praise I have never been particularly concerned about him. Unlike say Van Persie. So that aside and also things like his form prior to the signing.....

What I can't get is the logic of bringing him in. That season we had a beautiful tandem on the left with Martial/Rashford and they were genuinely ripping teams apart and developing extremely well. Then the surprise Sanchez signing happens and the CAF are all guessing that he will fill the hole on the right wing. But no he comes in and takes the left wing spot and kills one of the most productive areas of our team, stumps the development of our 2 most talented youngsters, and this materializes in a stretch of very poor form.

I still for the life of me can't understand why the club and the manager would pay out such outrageous fees and destabalize our squad for a position that we didn't need to strengthen. For all his detractors I can't see Ole doing something as assinine.
A big part of the signing probably was the fact that City was very interested and Woodward thought it would be a sign of strenght on his part to do that deal

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
A big part of the signing probably was the fact that City was very interested and Woodward thought it would be a sign of strenght on his part to do that deal
If there ever was a reason to get a football director, the Sanchez debacle would be it. The presence of Sanchez hanging around United for the next two seasons but not playing ala Winston Bogarde will be a daily reminder for Woodward. Not only had the deal been a financial disaster but its a ball & chain on our transfer plans for the next couple of seasons.

Icemav

I wonder how hard Mourinho pushed for it.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I wonder how hard Mourinho pushed for it.
It was Mourinho using as a way of pushing out/down Martial & Rashford.

Even before Sanchez he wanted perisic so we could turn in to a team that became one that crosses balls in to Zlatan for one season before Lukaku. Since that didnt happen, he went for Sanchez on the left for experience whilst cutting in and would have gotten a player capable of crossing and/or creativity on the right. He would have stuck with Lukaku up front with Rashford probably as back up.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic

He's shite even on his debut vs Yeovil Town. His debut looks exactly like how He played the rest of his games at United. A lot of tippy tappy nonsense without end product. He passes the ball, runs to non empty spaces to receive the ball back, can't beat his defender so He decides to misplaces a cross. Looks busy with no outcome. This is before his injuries and before He got 'physically shot'. I refuse to believe He lost his abilities to play football the moment the transfer happened. He doesn't fit United and must have planned for his retirement.

Last edited:

Sad Chris

Any young Chilean attacking prospects we could bring in? Make him feel more at home and give him a push to take on some responsibility.

MAME DIOUF 32

If he's going to do anything he needs to adapt to the loss of his physical advantages like someone like Giggs did, even Ronaldo to an extent, but I see absolutely nothing to suggest that he's capable of doing that or will even bother trying.

The Inter sporting director:

‘Edinson is not a priority simply because our attack is formed of [Lautaro] Martinez, [Romelu] Lukaku and Sanchez,’ Ausilio told Sky Sport Italia. ‘The latter, above all, now has the chance to show his worth and we will evaluate the situation.’

https://metro.co.uk/2020/05/29/inte...hez-stay-can-prove-12778019/?ito=newsnow-feed
we can only hope. Fingers and toes crossed. They took Lukuku off of our hands, hopefully we can throw them another lemon.

Dve

I’d keep him as a RW option and back up striker.
I´m sure he on his better day could still contribute on the pitch, but what´s the point if nobody wants him back - not the manager, not the fans, not he himself. I don´t know what the other players feel, but I´m not convinced they want him back either. So what good could it possible make.

Last edited:

yan man utd

Ok, may sound optimistic but away against city he instigated Pogbas first and def set up his second
Fair enough not too many other memories :devil:

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
The club should offer him in a swap deal with China for Ighalo. They could pay his wages (which seems to be most important to him) and we could have a striker on our bench...

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I’d keep him as a RW option and back up striker.
I don't think he can contribute off the wing anymore. He's lost too much of his explosiveness and acceleration. If he does end up coming back I really hope we only see him upfront where he might still be able to contribute. That's a hell of a wage to give someone who would basically be taking Ighalo's role in the team though.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The Inter sporting director:

‘Edinson is not a priority simply because our attack is formed of [Lautaro] Martinez, [Romelu] Lukaku and Sanchez,’ Ausilio told Sky Sport Italia. ‘The latter, above all, now has the chance to show his worth and we will evaluate the situation.’

https://metro.co.uk/2020/05/29/inte...hez-stay-can-prove-12778019/?ito=newsnow-feed
I wouldn't read to much to that. He mentions Lautaro when every man and his dog knows he'll probably leaving next summer. Inter will be cashing in big time from Martinez and Icardi. They don't need to keep a washed up striker, certainly on those salaries. So if they do keep Sanchez it will be on a loan with us heavily subsidising his salary.

I don't think he can contribute off the wing anymore. He's lost too much of his explosiveness and acceleration. If he does end up coming back I really hope we only see him upfront where he might still be able to contribute. That's a hell of a wage to give someone who would basically be taking Ighalo's role in the team though.
how many goals did Sanchez score in 18 months compared to Igahlo’s 8 games?

today’s Sanchez is not fit to lace the boots of Ighalo.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
how many goals did Sanchez score in 18 months compared to Igahlo’s 8 games?

today’s Sanchez is not fit to lace the boots of Ighalo.
To be fair he never actually played upfront.

I agree with you though, I really hope we can cut our losses. But if he does come back and we can't get rid of him (not even on loan) then I hope that any games he does get is trying him out as a striker to see if he can still be useful in that position, as we had plenty of time to see he doesn't work out wide anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.