Sancho, Grealish, Rice or Calvert-Lewin?

Bondi77

Sticking with Grealish but can also understand the people who have concerns about his best position being on the LW like Rashford.

He may well be able to play across a few different front positions but we just haven't had the chance to see it yet at Villa.

Did find it interesting that he isn't mentioned in Whitwell's latest Athletic article which suggests he can't see him leaving at the moment.
He just signed a long contract with Villa but that does not seem to stop these Muppets flapping their jaws about something that is not going to happen.

SAFMUTD

That’s exactly my point. Pogba is the attacking/creative player in our squad who isn’t very good at attacking, he’s a square peg that needs to be replace

Grealish can play all attacking roles brilliantly, he can play as an 8 (double pivot) too if we are chasing games.

He provides us with a whole host of attacking options.
What? Pogba is among the best creative attacking players in the world, he thrived as an attacking midfielder under Ole. Maybe you dont remember but he was the goal, assists and chances created leader of the team.

Because of physicallity he's been playing deeper and its clear that he's not good enough on the defensive part but I don't think you'll find many who agree with you claim about his ofensive game.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I think if you buy Grealish the debate of where to play him suddenly disappears.

He'd be first name and the rest fall in around him - he's that good.

The question is whether we'd be better off buying Sancho to fill that slot - especially as Greenwood has had a patchy season so far.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I think Grealish is gettable for less than some think, unless there’s serious competition from City.

He’d surely push for the move as well.
It's hard to tell. He strikes me as a Villa guy through and through and only relegation would make him put pressure on to leave.

croadyman

It's hard to tell. He strikes me as a Villa guy through and through and only relegation would make him put pressure on to leave.
Yeah you could well be right about that, however he will also not just want to let his career pass by at Villa though

Dare to Zlatan

Supports
Zlatan
I think currently grealish is the best player out of the lot of them, I’m not sure there’s many who would argue that, BUT I think I would sign Declan rice, he is a player ready to step up to a big team and would fill our biggest glaring hole we have in our team and would make us a much better team with a very solid starting midfield.

SER19

All very good options. Grealish the most talented but arguably, just, we have some creators already? I'd still lean for Grealish and go

Grealish
Calvert Lewin, on the off chance he becomes a kane
Sancho
Rice

RedDevilRoshi

I’m still on the fence about Calvert-Lewin. Take nothing away, he’s started the season off really well for Everton but the last few seasons, he’s not exactly done anything of note to be worth shouting about. It’s going to be interesting to see going forward if this is only just a purple patch or if he really has pulled it out the bag.

croadyman

All very good options. Grealish the most talented but arguably, just, we have some creators already? I'd still lean for Grealish and go

Grealish
Calvert Lewin, on the off chance he becomes a kane
Sancho
Rice
Yeah I would think that is a pretty good order provided like you say Calvert-Lewin continues to score over next couple of seasons

Dosse

My worry is that he a set piece guy but not enough to the rest of his game,however he will probably prove me completely wrong on that.
A good set-piece taker could mean + - two places come may. I dont follow him close though, so need to take a closer look.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
None, they are overpriced. But Sancho is better for investment long term since he’s younger & can play left, right, centre.

dinostar77

Different players in different positions. Dont think we need Calvert-Lewin or Rice. Sancho potentially may not be needed depending on how Diallo and Facundo progress. Grealish is a boyhood Utd fan, so would probably jump at the chance to join Utd. A fantastic player. Definitely one who would relish playing for Utd and kickon rather than falter under the pressure.

Though unfortunately i can see him going to City and filling the David Silva sized hole at City with much sucess.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
After watching Matic dropping inbetween our back two to make a quasi-back 3; Declan Rice is the player that excites me the most.

I'd say Grealish and Rice would be a nice balance of what we need.

Two more captains of their team/semi captains of ours. Would be very nice to see.

If Rice struggles at CDM I've always liked to see him back at CB too so I dont think it's too much of a gamble on his ball playing abilities as a footballer either.

Last edited:

cheeky_backheel

Calvert-Lewin. Quality #9 are rare in the current era and when one is available at such a young age, you get him.

Second choice would be Rice, as we lack quality in the DM position. Seems to play above his age given that DM is position where experience tends to count more than talent.

Dont see a major need for Grealish with Bruno around, and I am not sold on the consistency of Sancho if put under pressure in a big club

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Different players in different positions. Dont think we need Calvert-Lewin or Rice. Sancho potentially may not be needed depending on how Diallo and Facundo progress. Grealish is a boyhood Utd fan, so would probably jump at the chance to join Utd. A fantastic player. Definitely one who would relish playing for Utd and kickon rather than falter under the pressure.

Though unfortunately i can see him going to City and filling the David Silva sized hole at City with much sucess.
Grealish is a boyhood Villa fans mate. :lol:

dinostar77

Hes a utd fan and had to stop tweeting about Utd when he broke into Villa first team

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
We need a right winger above any other position. Signing van de beek negates the need to buy Grealish.

I see no good reason to buy a Rice. We have Fred, the ever improving Mctominay Plus we have Garner in the pipeline.

I'd also like us too keep Cavabii around as we see how Greenwood, Hugill and McNeil come along. Before we even think of buying another cf like Haaland or Calvert-Lewyn.

Its only Pogba who will need actual replacing if he leaves.

AnotherLondonManc

Rice definitely fills the position that we need to address most urgently from those options, but I'm skeptical of how much he would improve our team compared to Fred and Mctominay. It's a huge investment for a small gain. I'd rather have a more competent ball playing DM for that role.

If Calvert Lewin can continue this form, he's the no-brainer for me. We desperately need a consistent finisher with good movement to take advantage of our playmaking talent.

Grealish and Sancho are both amazing talents. I'd gamble on Sancho as his ceiling is potentially higher imo. We'll have to see if Diallo and Pellistri have enough ability before going for them, but both improve our team massively.

Calvert-Lewin
Sancho
Grealish
Rice

Tapori

Grealish over Sancho. Gives you far more options.

Any across the front 3 (ST beaing weakest)
Any of the advanced 2 in Midfield.
Deeper or split of a front 2.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Will be most difficult to fit Grealish into our starting XI as, iirc, he plays mostly wide left or AM for Villa. He’d be wasted as a 8 and I’m not sure how he’d fit in on the right? And he’s the one I’d like the most.

Sancho is probably the best fit ito what we need on the left and Rice has been immense at DM - a position we’re lacking in as well.

I’ve never been too impressed with DCL, even now when he’s really gone up a level...I still don’t think we need a £100m fox in the box.

I’m sure we can afford 2 of these (especially if we move pogba on) and my personal preference is Grealish, Rice, Sancho & DCL (in that order). Funny enough, I’d have had Sancho > Grealish last season!

hobbers

None of the above. All massively overpriced. Sancho and Rice in particular massively overrated. Rice is an absolute plodder.

If we had to sign one, obviously you would want Grealish because he is by far the most talented of the four, but he's also a twat. Has a real case of the Maddisons about him. Calvert Lewin would be a good player for us to sign if we could get him for a decent fee of course, same as Sancho, but no chance of that with Everton.

We signed Maguire and AWB for over double their values and neither looks good enough to be lifting Premier League trophies thus far, lets be honest. Overpriced and English are best avoided. We don't need to pad our homegrown player quotas.

Last edited:

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Imagine playing Rice and Fred in the centre.

Fred-Rice has a nice ring to it.
If rumours are to be taken with any seriousness then the fact that we appear to be on the verge of signing Caicedo would rule out Rice. He seems more likely to be on Chelsea’s radar.

He would cost a huge amount while Caicedo is reported to be €5m. Who would you rather have?

TsuWave

Sancho is the most proven out of all the names there. His numbers are insane, and he’s the youngest too. Yes, he’s having a bad season, but to be honest, he reportedly didn’t want to be at Dortmund this season

beingshe7don

Even though we need a RW, I wouldn't go for Sancho first. I think Grealish has shown what he's capable of with a team like Aston Villa. He will have a Bruno sort of impact wheree ever he goes. I fear he may end up at Man City with Pep. On the other hand, I like Calvert Lewin and whenever I see him win headers and hold the ball up, he's the sort of player we need but I feel he's not a requirement at the moment with Cavani. I would go for Grealish.... He's a player who will inspire the side.

dal

Top 4 ( last season) forwards :

Man Utd: Grealish, Rashford, Greenwood, Martial, Bruno, Cavani.

Man City : Mahrez, Sterling, Silva, De Bruyne, Foden, Aguero, Torres.

Chelsea: Werner, Pulisic, Havertz, Mount, Abraham, Giroud, Hudson-Odoi.

Liverpool: Firmino, Mane, Salah, Jota, Origi.

With Grealish I think our forward line actually becomes the best alongside city in terms of creativity/goals/availability.

Chelsea’s is a work in progress, I think we will see next season if they have that balance right.

Liverpool have Mane and Salah who are the two best attackers in my eyes. They have the least strength in depth but their ability to keep these two fit gives them the edge.

Man City are underperforming with that set of forwards. When Aguero goes you do wonder if they will lack pace. I can see why they want Grealish because he will add the fluidity to their play that David Silva had.

Ole wanted Grealish and Sancho last season, two players who are technical, creative and can hold onto the ball. He hasn’t brought a proven 20-30 year old forward yet and his direction is spot on with these two. He’s done brilliantly with bringing on Rashford and Martial I must say.

We can sign Grealish, Rice, DCL with the right ins and outs. I think the Sancho ship has sailed.

Last edited:

M Bison

Supports
York City
I think any of the 4 would be a good addition, less bothered about Rice as I think we’re well stocked in midfield, even if Pogba does leave.

The extra creativity Grealish or Sancho would bring would be welcomed but I think having an out and out no 9 in DCL would elevate us. Not sure the impact that would have on Martial, imagine he wouldn’t respond well.

Becks00

Grealish because he is
1) The best player amongst those mentioned there

2) He would offer us a whole new dimension in attack that we don't have as of yet especially against low block teams. Just imagine camping teams at the edge of their box and Grealish constantly running with the ball in tight space to create an opening, Bruno having the time of day spraying passes around to pick out runs from the constant movement of the likes of Cavani, Greenwood and rashford. And then the sheer entertainment you'd get as a fan watching Martial and Grealish interlink and toy with several defence with their close control.

We would just need a capable DM for all these to work and I don't subscribe to this view of us not needing Grealish because his best position is a LW or CAM, that is simply not true. The guy played as an 8 in central midfield for a whole season back when villa were in the championship and was excellent, him being played in those two positions now his simply because he is that good and would be the most effective on the whole for villa as a team to have him closer to the box.

I have no doubt if given a different role in our team he would absolutely excel in it, he is just that good and his biggest asset to us would be his ball carrying ability, which we absolutely need( we have no one as good as him in the team) especially as we keep trying to play from the back, you literally have to foul the guy to get the ball off him.

3) Finally, I just don't want to see him in any other epl team apart from ours if he where to leave villa. Would be a huge mistake if we allowed him join city without competing, the kind we made back in 2011 with the Silva and Aguero transfers.

@Becks00

Edited to create paragraphs. It would also be nice to read your very good posts if in the future you could capitalise names.

Sultan

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sultan

Becks00

Grealish because he is

2) He would offer us a whole new dimension in attack that we don't have as of yet especially against low block teams. Just imagine camping teams at the edge of their box and Grealish constantly running with the ball in tight space to create an opening, Bruno having the time of day spraying passes around to pick out runs from the constant movement of the likes of Cavani, Greenwood and rashford. And then the sheer entertainment you'd get as a fan watching Martial and Grealish interlink and toy with several defence with their close control.

We would just need a capable DM for all these to work and I don't subscribe to this view of us not needing Grealish because his best position is a LW or CAM, that is simply not true. The guy played as an 8 in central midfield for a whole season back when villa were in the championship and was excellent, him being played in those two positions now his simply because he is that good and would be the most effective on the whole for villa as a team to have him closer to the box.

I have no doubt if given a different role in our team he would absolutely excel in it, he is just that good and his biggest asset to us would be his ball carrying ability, which we absolutely need( we have no one as good as him in the team) especially as we keep trying to play from the back, you literally have to foul the guy to get the ball off him.

3) Finally, I just don't want to see him in any other epl team apart from ours if he where to leave villa. Would be a huge mistake if we allowed him join city without competing, the kind we made back in 2011 with the Silva and Aguero transfers.

@Becks00

Edited to create paragraphs. It would also be nice to read your very good posts if in the future you could capitalise names.

Sultan
Thanks @Sultan would take note of those in future posts.

Member 101269

Grealish because he is

@Becks00

Sultan

There is alot of attacking strength. What formation would you suggest?

Becks00

There is alot of attacking strength. What formation would you suggest?
Think 433 would suit those set of players best. Bruno and Grealish operating as the 8's and a Fernandinho like DM.