Sancho, Grealish, Rice or Calvert-Lewin?

r0663664

Worships Man City
Prioritize a CB in the January, if we sell Pogba then reinvest in Grealish and buy the Caicedo on cheap. Our transfer for January will set us up well for 2021 and beyond.

croadyman

Prioritize a CB in the January, if we sell Pogba then reinvest in Grealish and buy the Caicedo on cheap. Our transfer for January will set us up well for 2021 and beyond.
Who do you think we should bring in at CB next month just out of interest

passing-wind

The problem that keeps on being missed with Grealish is him not strengthening a position we are in need of. He's excellent coming in off the left. We have Martial (who can) and Rashford occupying those positions. He's not a central midfielder to be used in a double pivot, the best individual from Villa to get for the midfield would be Mcginn.

On the basis of what we actually need Sancho is the only option who will walk into the first team closely followed by Calvert-Lewin.

passing-wind

I think people worry about Grealish playing in Rashford's favourite position, however feel he could play in more positions than Marcus so should still go for him if there is an opportunity in the summer
For me this is a huge mistake and something representing the likes of a Pogba level of development (no defined position after countless years). If the management cannot find a specific position for Grealish he should not be signed especially for what would be close to 100 million.

croadyman

For me this is a huge mistake and something representing the likes of a Pogba level of development (no defined position after countless years). If the management cannot find a specific position for Grealish he should not be signed especially for what would be close to 100 million.
Surely we could play Rashford on the right and Grealish on the left most of the time, however if Bruno is in need of a rest then could play Jack in that number 10 position instead. Honestly think he would bring even more leadership and drive in that attacking area and would mean not having to be reliant on Bruno so much.

Mr Smith

I'm not sure Pogba is the best example (on paper he was exactly what we needed when we signed him), but buying a player without knowing where he's going to play can be disastrous. Just look at Barcelona's issues with Griezmann.

croadyman

I'm not sure Pogba is the best example (on paper he was exactly what we needed when we signed him), but buying a player without knowing where he's going to play can be disastrous. Just look at Barcelona's issues with Griezmann.
We look to have done that exact thing with Donny who just cannot get a proper look in

Mr Smith

We look to have done that exact thing with Donny who just cannot get a proper look in
I wouldn't agree that Donny is the same situation actually. I never thought he was coming into the team to be first choice. I felt that the club was looking at what was very likely to be a very hard season with a high likelihood of injuries, and knowing that we only have two true creative players in Bruno and Pogba. I feel VDB was bought specifically to be cover for both, and a potential replacement for Pogba if he were to leave.

I could be wrong, but for me VDB was not bought to be an immediate first team player, where as Grealish would expect to be.

croadyman

I wouldn't agree that Donny is the same situation actually. I never thought he was coming into the team to be first choice. I felt that the club was looking at what was very likely to be a very hard season with a high likelihood of injuries, and knowing that we only have two true creative players in Bruno and Pogba. I feel VDB was bought specifically to be cover for both, and a potential replacement for Pogba if he were to leave.

I could be wrong, but for me VDB was not bought to be an immediate first team player, where as Grealish would expect to be.
So do you reckon he is Pogba's replacement then

Mr Smith

So do you reckon he is Pogba's replacement then
Perhaps not as simple as that, but I do think one of the things they had in mind when they signed him was that if Pogba did go, they would have someone to step straight in, while also being cover in the #10 position. I don't know if they see Donny as the long-term Pogba replacement though, considering the pursuit of Caciedo, who seems at least to have more of the ball carrying and long passing qualities Pogba offers.

croadyman

Perhaps not as simple as that, but I do think one of the things they had in mind when they signed him was that if Pogba did go, they would have someone to step straight in, while also being cover in the #10 position. I don't know if they see Donny as the long-term Pogba replacement though, considering the pursuit of Caciedo, who seems at least to have more of the ball carrying and long passing qualities Pogba offers.
Think Caciedo could offer something as a CDM but if we are looking to go more on the front foot in games then could play more of a DLP type role as well,if you had a straight choice between Grealish & Sancho this summer which one would you go for out of interest?

lex talionis

Grealish is a beast, but the positions he would play are already covered well. Jack isn’t coming up OT to be a squad player.

DCL is terrific, but I like Greenwood’s prospects as our 9. He needs to get this season behind him first, while we watch Martial crawl into his shell.

Rice is tidy, but I wouldn’t break open serious cash for him.

Sancho is suffering a torrid time, but we know he’s quality. And we know we suffer badly on the right side of our attack, which in fact is virtually nonexistent.

Sancho...unless we believe he’s been found out as a mediocre footballer. I don’t believe that, however.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Caciedo won’t be a serious first team player for at least 18 months and probably more.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Who do you think we should bring in at CB next month just out of interest
Seriously no idea, I would look at Championship players. There could be good players with their team is struggling. I was thinking of Godfrey from Norwich when they were relegated and Everton bought him. Definitely some gems waiting for our scout to undercover

OrcaFat

You can argue that Grealish doesn’t fill a gaping hole in the squad and that’s probably true. However he is so damn good that if we can possibly get him we should. We then select him in the team and worry about everything else afterwards.

Brightonian

You can argue that Grealish doesn’t fill a gaping hole in the squad and that’s probably true. However he is so damn good that if we can possibly get him we should. We then select him in the team and worry about everything else afterwards.
I can see why it's hard to pass up the idea, but we have repeatedly caused problems for ourselves by doing this.

We must find a DM before doing anything else. The only way to select multiple creative players (and thus make it feasible to include, for example, Rashford and Bruno and Grealish or Sancho) is to have a really solid, defence-first DM behind them. While Matic remains our only player in that mould, there's no point adding Grealish to our already significant attacking resources.

croadyman

I can see why it's hard to pass up the idea, but we have repeatedly caused problems for ourselves by doing this.

We must find a DM before doing anything else. The only way to select multiple creative players (and thus make it feasible to include, for example, Rashford and Bruno and Grealish or Sancho) is to have a really solid, defence-first DM behind them. While Matic remains our only player in that mould, there's no point adding Grealish to our already significant attacking resources.
Maybe Caciedo will get done in the end and offer something in both a defensive and playmaking midfielder sense

Adamsk7

I actually think Rashford does perfectly fine on the right - I don’t think he’s any worse than he is on the left and he seems to be capable of scoring from either side because he doesn’t play either role as a winger, more a wide forward.

For that reason I’d plump for Grealish and if Pogba is going (which it seems he is), replacing him with Grealish and Caicedo seems to be a good fit all round - we get one attacking midfielder who can also play wide or support striker and one defensive/b2b.

Calvert Lewin it’s still too early and Rice I am for some reason unconvinced but I can’t honestly tell you why! Just a feeling

OrcaFat

Yes, I fully agree with the principle. I just want to get Grealish.

The thing about Grealish is he is not just out and out attacking, he helps the structure of the team and makes it easier for the defenders and all the players around him. I mean, he’s not God or anything crazy like that. He would simply make us better.

Either way, we should get a top DM as soon as possible. No argument there. But I don’t know who.

Mr Smith

Think Caciedo could offer something as a CDM but if we are looking to go more on the front foot in games then could play more of a DLP type role as well,if you had a straight choice between Grealish & Sancho this summer which one would you go for out of interest?
Sancho. I'm a fan of Grealish and if for instance we decided Rashford was better up front, I'd go for him, but as things stand it's obvious we have a gaping hole on the right. Greenwood is a great player but always looking to come inside (I think his future is at striker). We have gone 6 years without solving our RW problem and Sancho is the perfect player to do it.

Brightonian

Yes, I fully agree with the principle. I just want to get Grealish.

The thing about Grealish is he is not just out and out attacking, he helps the structure of the team and makes it easier for the defenders and all the players around him. I mean, he’s not God or anything crazy like that. He would simply make us better.

Either way, we should get a top DM as soon as possible. No argument there. But I don’t know who.
Can't argue with any of that. Grealish would be a signing of real substance, no question.

True DMs seem to be almost impossible to find, these days. Caicedo has reportedly sometimes played as a CB and it still sounds like if we got him we'd be looking at more of a box-to-box profile.

Ludens the Red

Under no circumstance should we sign Dominic Calvert Lewin. The very definition of a purple patch player. Limited ability and walks around like he’s peak Gabriel Batistuta. His goals are drying up now. He barely touches the ball in games. He’d be hated by a lot on here.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
I noticed quite a few posters have reservations about Rice.

I feel like it’s maybe because of his value that he seems like a risky buy.

Personally I always prefer finding a good DM whose PL proven. Rice is the type of player who wouldn't make the headlines but I think he would give our midfield much needed stability.

I think he’d compliment his midfield partner (Scotty for instance) to play really well and perhaps even continue to get better.

I find it strange that it’s only Chelsea who seem to be genuinely interested in him. I think he’ll have much more demand specially after this season considering he’s been having a fairly decent one.

Like I said, maybe he doesn’t seem like an 80m player but considering he’s only 21 years old, we’d potentially be signing a player with a solid decade of prime years ahead of him and never having to worry about that position.

Hence for me, Rice remains the best option. Along with Sancho for RW.

Grande

Wait, everybody who adamantedly wanted us to go for Sancho - where they just jerking knees? If they genuinly knew him to have the qualities needed, these are not going to disappear because of an off season, surely?

I think Sanchoin the right circumstances will come good, and could well see his qualities fit in with us, so I still think he should be a priority. Obviously not regardless of price, but that price will fall in the current market with the running down of his contract. People thinking about relying on Greenwood, Diallo and Pellistri could well remember how Rashford and Martial are two of the biggest talents we’ve had coming through at that age, and they are only now starting to look like first choice candidates for

grealish is a wonderful player made to look his best at the current Villa. He could improve United, but is not needed like a Sancho.

Calvert-Lewin looks to me like he’s closer to a Benteke than a Lewandowski, but’ we’ll see. He doesn’t look a fit with how we try to play.

Rice is a decent shout as we have noone I really trust as a defensive anchor in midfield, which makes us dependent on two limited midfielders or Matic’s day to day form.

Steve 007

Is Grealish better than Bruno? Why do we need him?
Sancho for me, I was worried if he came it would effect Greenwood, but Greenwood seems out of sorts anyway, I can’t look at that team sheet and see James on the right wing again.

I’d love a centre back too but Bailly had some great gages recently.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
How is Calvert Lewin even in the conversation?

Walters_19_MuFc

Love all these players but Grealish has something special about him that really stands out for me.

With Ole using Rashford on the right wing, I wonder if that could be something more long term, thus allowing us to slot Grealish in on the left?

That being said, I doubt that will happen, mainly because a permanent move to the right for Rashford probably wouldn't make sense, especially when there's a ready made right winger for us in Sancho.

People say he's not been himself this season but he's only 20 and will continue to improve.

Martial
Rashford Bruno Sancho

yamo123x

Grealish hands down.We struggle to keep the ball, we lack composure in possession he has it all, and would dazzle in our team.... i think it is a no brainer. Imagine him and Bruno in the same team.

We need a right back too urgently and we need to keep Bailly fit.

mav_9me

Rice has been amazing. He is not a pure destroyer type either. Passing is pretty good. However can you imagine how much w ham would demand for him?

DCL, it's interesting people feel he could be the next benteke. Of what I've seen he has held the ball up well and brought others into the game like a proper no. 9. Maybe I need to see more

Sancho fills obvious gaping chasm on right. Surely the price has fallen.

ColvaleGoa

Rice must be pretty set on going to Chelsea. That's why there might not be much interest in him.

Would love Grealish,. But like some posters above we have that position well covered.

So if we have a choice to fill a position that has been crying to be covered and Sancho though expensive will be a great fit. Let's not go by his form this season as his head was turned by summer shenanigans. Even than his assist numbers this season are pretty good. If we can get him, we should go all out for Sancho this Summer.

DavelinaJolie

To be honest I want Grealish, but Rice would probably improve Utd most in the short term. Rice seems nailed on for Chelsea though and given their reported long term approaches for players I imagine they have done the courting necessary that ensures he goes there.

To me Grealish is the on the pitch personality we need and would improve the left side for sure, and make us less reliant on Bruno. He'd be a great get for sure.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Wait, everybody who adamantedly wanted us to go for Sancho - where they just jerking knees? If they genuinly knew him to have the qualities needed, these are not going to disappear because of an off season, surely?

I think Sanchoin the right circumstances will come good, and could well see his qualities fit in with us, so I still think he should be a priority. Obviously not regardless of price, but that price will fall in the current market with the running down of his contract. People thinking about relying on Greenwood, Diallo and Pellistri could well remember how Rashford and Martial are two of the biggest talents we’ve had coming through at that age, and they are only now starting to look like first choice candidates for

grealish is a wonderful player made to look his best at the current Villa. He could improve United, but is not needed like a Sancho.

Calvert-Lewin looks to me like he’s closer to a Benteke than a Lewandowski, but’ we’ll see. He doesn’t look a fit with how we try to play.

Rice is a decent shout as we have noone I really trust as a defensive anchor in midfield, which makes us dependent on two limited midfielders or Matic’s day to day form.
Well perhaps some are not ignoring that we have made alternative investment in the same role as Sancho.

1. Grealish
2. Rice

Mouthwatering to imagine the creativity of Bruno and Grealish in the same team. Especially when they both bring it in such complimentary ways - Grealish through dribbling, close control, drawing fouls. Bruno through passing and amazing on-field awareness. Add in the fact that they both play with such intensity and high work-rate and it's a dream pairing.

Really like Rice too. Athletic, technically very good, really intelligent in terms of his positioning. I mentioned this before, but he did an interview with Rio and seemed to be completely in awe of him. Spent the whole interview asking Rio about what we did in training under Sir Alex, what the boss was like, what Keane was like in training...it went on like that. He just seemed so genuinely eager to learn about what made the great players great. He seems like a really good character, and another future captain.

Not particularly interested in the other two at this point. I'd take Neto over Sancho without blinking. Much more explosive, plays with more intensity, doesn't need an overlapping full-back to make him look good...I see him being the better player in years to come.

The Oracle

Grealish hands down.We struggle to keep the ball, we lack composure in possession he has it all, and would dazzle in our team.... i think it is a no brainer. Imagine him and Bruno in the same team.

We need a right back too urgently and we need to keep Bailly fit.
I share the exact same view.

Grealish is a brilliant player.

Every time I see him play I just think how well he would do for us.

He really is that bit of midfield muscle we are looking for (and I'm not on about his calves).