Sane in talks with Bayern?/ Signed for Bayern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
I think it's a fair price.

I forgot how much City was asking for a year ago. Was it 120 to 130 million?

Since then Sané suffered an ACL tear, has only one year left on his deal, he's intent on only joining one club and then there's the corona virus business. I think that justifies a 50-60% discount compared to the previous evaluation, doesn't it?

padr81

Supports
Man City
Got our money back on a player whose given us 3 seasons, coming off a big injury and with only 12 months on his contract, Not the best deal in the world but not the worst. Shame because the lad is a serious talent.

JDoe

Supports
Bayern
Loving this! I was not convinced by Werner but Sané is arguably one of the most talented wingers out there who can run even the best defences ragged on his day. Havertz and I'm the happiest as I've been since we signed Robben.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Annoying how easily they managed to wrap this one up, also annoying how quickly Bayern have replaced Robben and Ribery what with Gnabry and now Sane. Just watch when they replace Lewandowski with Haaland :(

Such a well run club

HerrLeinad

Supports
Bayern München
Annoying how easily they managed to wrap this one up, also annoying how quickly Bayern have replaced Robben and Ribery what with Gnabry and now Sane. Just watch when they replace Lewandowski with Haaland :(

Such a well run club
It might sound weird but I feel like Haaland is not a Bayern like striker/player and I think the timing also won't be right for a transfer (I expect Lewandowski to last for a few more years and don't see Haaland that long at Dortmund).

marktan

Very good transfer for Bayern Munich and their 9th league title in a row is now 99% sure.

But Manchester City wouldn't miss him.
They will. As good as Bernado and Mahrez are, neither have the dribbling ability of Sane.

Skills

Snitch
Got our money back on a player whose given us 3 seasons, coming off a big injury and with only 12 months on his contract, Not the best deal in the world but not the worst. Shame because the lad is a serious talent.
Do you think you'll be able to get a player just as good for that amount, in the current transfer market?

flappyjay

Such a well run club
They have been trying to sign him since last season. It's not been easy, they are just very patient.

Such a well run club
It's much much easier in a one team league though @charlenefan and every single top German player and the majority of the Bundesliga sees you as the absolute pinnacle. We had it that way for a long time, when we could just cherry pick the top players in the league from the likes of Tottenham. We have never been able to cherry pick from Liverpool or Chelsea though, whereas Bayern regularly take players from their strongest rival, that makes it much easier to look like a "well run club".

And it was anything but easy to wrap up Sane, they've been trying for over a year and struggled to get even get an 18 y/o non proven Chelsea youth product through the door despite offering some silly money.

Renegade

Be interesting to see how he links up with Alphonso Davies on the left. Sane plays very wide which you’d think wouldn’t give Davies much space on the overlap. On the flip side it could be devastating.

HerrLeinad

Supports
Bayern München
Be interesting to see how he links up with Alphonso Davies on the left. Sane plays very wide which you’d think wouldn’t give Davies much space on the overlap. On the flip side it could be devastating.
He might not play on the left. At Schalke he used to play mainly on the right (same for Germany) and Gnabry is stronger on the left. That way Bayern could have, once again, two wingers who can cut in and be a goal threat while Davies/Pavard provide more width. I also feel that Pavard could be a better combination with Sane because he provides defensive cover for him while Gnabry has the work rate/discipline to cover for Davies/help him out defensively (which is sometimes needed with Davies very attacking style).
So Gnabry/Davies and Sane/Pavard seems more balanced to me.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
He might not play on the left. At Schalke he used to play mainly on the right (same for Germany) and Gnabry is stronger on the left. That way Bayern could have, once again, two wingers who can cut in and be a goal threat while Davies/Pavard provide more width. I also feel that Pavard could be a better combination with Sane because he provides defensive cover for him while Gnabry has the work rate/discipline to cover for Davies/help him out defensively (which is sometimes needed with Davies very attacking style).
So Gnabry/Davies and Sane/Pavard seems more balanced to me.
I don’t think Pavard will be the RB long-term. You’ll buy someone this window.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
He's been superb on RB. We might buy a player like Dest, but Pavard will be the first option nonetheless. RCB spots will be blocked by Süle, Kouassi, and probably Boateng(for another yr).

KennyBurner

City selling this guy is so dumb but I guess he wanted to leave. I wonder if they could have done more to keep him.
No way should we pay more than 80 million for Sancho. Bayern have shown a the way.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I expect Dest to come in and compete with Parvard. And as someone already mentioned I wouldn’t be surprised to see Sané on the right wing, aka the Robben position with Gnabry being the Ribery on the left wing.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He's been superb on RB. We might buy a player like Dest, but Pavard will be the first option nonetheless. RCB spots will be blocked by Süle, Kouassi, and probably Boateng(for another yr).
To be honest, he has really surprised me. I really thought that he wouldn't be good enough as a RB and would play CB but he has actually developed his technique which isn't that common at that age.

Last edited:

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
To be honest, he has really surprised me. I really thought that he wouldn't be good enough as a RB and would play CB but he has actually developped his technique which isn't that common at that age.
Likewise. He also profits from Bayern’s asymmetrical back 4 where the LB is pushing forward and the RB is setup more defensively. Sané on the right would therefore also work.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Likewise. He also profits from Bayern’s asymmetrical back 4 where the LB is pushing forward and the RB is setup more defensively. Sané on the right would therefore also work.
That's true to some extent but even going forward Pavard has been good and has developed his support runs, he consistently make sneaky runs in the inside channel and finds himself at the first post when his winger play wide or when a midfielder overlaps on the right. I would put him in the same bag than Kimmich, they are both underrated because they don't look like they are as good as they are, Pavard is one of the reasons why Kimmich could be moved in midfield without fear of weakening his former position.

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
He's not been superb at all. You see his limitations in almost every game and even his positioning defensively is questionable at times. It's just that there are few wingers in the Bundesliga who can really take advantage of his terrible center of gravity for a RB. The best, most explosive and most agile wingers in the world will tear him apart. Furthermore he limits our attack potential on the right wing a great deal.

Replacing him with the right player is definitely a priority.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
He's not been superb at all. You see his limitations in almost every game and even his positioning defensively is questionable at times. It's just that there are few wingers in the Bundesliga who can really take advantage of his terrible center of gravity for a RB. The best, most explosive and most agile wingers in the world will tear him apart. Furthermore he limits our attack potential on the right wing a great deal.

Replacing him with the right player is definitely a priority.
We can't have both FBs go gung ho, and expect us to stable at the back. And still, he does contribute quite a bit going forward, despite you claiming otherwise. 4 goals, 5 assists in 32 apps are a good indicator

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
We can't have both FBs go gung ho, and expect us to stable at the back. And still, he does contribute quite a bit going forward, despite you claiming otherwise. 4 goals, 5 assists in 32 apps are a good indicator
My entire assessment is based on Pavard in games that matter the most.

There's a difference between having a less attacking FB and one that the opponent knows does not have the ability to go "gung ho". It changes the opponent's defensive coverage to a degree that negatively impacts the space in which the winger ahead of Pavard is able to operate in. Especially for the best teams in the world it will be easy to shut down our entire right wing because of Pavard's limitations. Counting stats in the Bundesliga are also pretty much meaningless when it comes to his ability at the highest level. He's not been bad! He's a more than passable Bundesliga RB, but he's not been superb and he's most definitely not the long-term solution at RB for Bayern München.

Robertd0803

That fee is a bit mental considering City were supposedly not going to be lowballed.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
My entire assessment is based on Pavard in games that matter the most.
which by your definition have not taken place yet. Still you, being an oracle, know of course how he'll fare in those games.

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
which by your definition have not taken place yet. Still you, being an oracle, know of course how he'll fare in those games.
No. I'm simply measuring Pavard's strength and weaknesses against the requirements at the highest level and from his struggles against even slightly agile Bundesliga wingers we can easily extrapolate what he will look like against the best in the world. You need only look at his center of gravity to realise that it has the potential to be truly awful. Hansi Flick seems to be in agreement by the way or else during the winter break he wouldn't have called out RB as a position that needs to be reinforced.

It's really not rocket science. I for one am simply in favour of solving an apparent problem before it costs us a Champions League title.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
No. I'm simply measuring Pavard's strength and weaknesses against the requirements at the highest level and from his struggles against even slightly agile Bundesliga wingers we can easily extrapolate what he will look like against the best in the world.
Uh huh...
You're trying to sell your conjectures and feelings as facts. I call BS on that.

You need only look at his center of gravity to realise that it has the potential to be truly awful. Hansi Flick seems to be in agreement by the way or else during the winter break he wouldn't have called out RB as a position that needs to be reinforced.

It's really not rocket science. I for one am simply in favour of solving an apparent problem before it costs us a Champions League title.
He did, because we have no back up for Pavard.

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
We have never been able to cherry pick from Liverpool or Chelsea though, whereas Bayern regularly take players from their strongest rival, that makes it much easier to look like a "well run club".
I see this claim quite a lot, and I think this is vastly exaggerated. I've just looked at the signings of last decades, and Bayern tends to buy mostly internationally or from lower tier clubs. Not from their actual rivals. The only signings that would fit that description in the past decade would be Mats Hummels (a player they sold back to Dortmund after one contract term), Mario Götze (also sold back after one term) and Lewandowski. So there's one signing that actually lasted at Bayern where I would agree with you that they "took a player from their strongest rival". However, as can be seen every week, for a good reason. Not to hurt Dortmund as much as getting themselves arguably an European top 5 striker.

In addition, Hummels is still performing just fine for Dortmund and Götze, well... one hit wonders do be like that. So, to be frank, I have no clue what you're on about. But looking at the entire transfer volume for Bayern, they get more of their own youths into the first team than "taking players from their strongest rival". And let's be clear on this, "the strongest rivals" for Bayern don't play in the Bundesliga. They play in other leagues and have names like Barcelona, Madrid (either one, tbh), Juventus, Liverpool etc.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I see this claim quite a lot, and I think this is vastly exaggerated. I've just looked at the signings of last decades, and Bayern tends to buy mostly internationally or from lower tier clubs. Not from their actual rivals. The only signings that would fit that description in the past decade would be Mats Hummels (a player they sold back to Dortmund after one contract term), Mario Götze (also sold back after one term) and Lewandowski. So there's one signing that actually lasted at Bayern where I would agree with you that they "took a player from their strongest rival". However, as can be seen every week, for a good reason. Not to hurt Dortmund as much as getting themselves arguably an European top 5 striker.

In addition, Hummels is still performing just fine for Dortmund and Götze, well... one hit wonders do be like that. So, to be frank, I have no clue what you're on about. But looking at the entire transfer volume for Bayern, they get more of their own youths into the first team than "taking players from their strongest rival". And let's be clear on this, "the strongest rivals" for Bayern don't play in the Bundesliga. They play in other leagues and have names like Barcelona, Madrid (either one, tbh), Juventus, Liverpool etc.
At the time and before those transfers Dortmund definitely was a rival of Bayern, in every sense. It wasn’t the only factor but it shifted the power balance a lot.

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
Lewandowski shifted the power balance, sure. The other two? Not so much. Götze was pretty much a non-factor both at Bayern and at Dortmund now, Hummels is long past his prime. He's not been the gamechanger that Alaba is now. And that is it for the past 10, maybe even 20 years? Hardly something you could call "regular".

As long as Bundesliga clubs and their fans keep propagating this myth, they won't improve. They'll rest on that same old excuse that has haunted Bayern for the past what, 20-30 years? RB Leipzig is a new club that shouldn't be in the first league to begin with, but they seem to be the only ones that don't whinge and give up immediately. Bit embarassing for the other clubs, to be honest.

KChucky88

He is excellent signing and well done Bayern Munich

Bayern Munich need new back up striker signing

SinNombre

Are we all going to ignore that Bayern committed to paying Sane 100m pounds over the next 5 years?

That's almost 400k/week.

If he is not completely over his injury issues, this will very quickly turn into a Sanchez like signing.

And that's ignoring the high benchmark they have now set for every future contract negotiation.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Are we all going to ignore that Bayern committed to paying Sane 100m pounds over the next 5 years?

That's almost 400k/week.

If he is not completely over his injury issues, this will very quickly turn into a Sanchez like signing.

And that's ignoring the high benchmark they have now set for every future contract negotiation.
Last I heard is that he‘ll be on €17m gross p.a.
that would be £295k per week.

Status
Not open for further replies.