Sarcastic cheering and Ole chants today

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
When VDB was coming on for Fred, the fans stood up and gave off a massive cheer, followed by them singing the oppositions version of Ole's at the wheel from the Stretford End.

Plus chanting VdB name before he'd even come on.

The biggest sign of unrest so far. It was pretty embarrassing for Ole.

siw2007

The City fans singing ‘Ole’ and ‘Oles at the wheel’ is pretty telling.

Swedish_Plumber

At the end of the day it’s the fans at the stadium who’ll make the biggest impact on things going forward. It’s getting the balance between justified unrest and Madrid levels of poor behaviour.

AshRK

Ole will think they are backing him. Better to boo him and walk off.

peridigm

At the end of the day it’s the fans at the stadium who’ll make the biggest impact on things going forward. It’s getting the balance between justified unrest and Madrid levels of poor behaviour.
Why didn’t fans walk out today like they did the other week?

Whatsername

When VDB was coming on for Fred, the fans stood up and gave off a massive cheer, followed by them singing the oppositions version of Ole's at the wheel from the Stretford End.

We weren’t singing Ole’s at the wheel as the away end sing it, we were singing Donny van der Beek to the same tune.

Kopral Jono

The 'Give It Up' version of 'Ole's at the wheel' was from our end? If true this is huge.

Dante

Average bang
Van de Beek is a bit of a cult favourite in the stadium. The cheers and chants were from people singing his name to the tune of Give It Up by KC and the Sunshine Band.

There were some boos at the performance and a bit of grumbling about the manager. But Old Trafford is never going to turn on the man who's holding the reins while the carriage is careering off the road. That would only make things worse.

The next manager is undoubtedly being worked on behind the scenes, so it's paramount the team keep getting support to tide us over until them.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

I didn't hear them sing the same as City.

As soon as City made any noise (pretty rare until the last 15), the South Stand/Stretford End mainly went into the Mendy songs.

The Donny song was sung for a good five minutes before he came on and he got cheered/clapped as he warmed up, that was telling, reminded me of the time we chanted for Cavani to come on.

Definitely a mind shift from previous games

M Bison

Supports
York City
Be interesting to know what the match go-ers are actually saying and what the feeling is in the stands?

Godfather

Van de Beek is a bit of a cult favourite in the stadium. The cheers and chants were from people singing his name to the tune of Give It Up by KC and the Sunshine Band.

There were some boos at the performance and a bit of grumbling about the manager. But Old Trafford is never going to turn on the man who's holding the reins while the carriage is careering off the road. That would only make things worse.

The next manager is undoubtedly being worked on behind the scenes, so it's paramount the team keep getting support to tide us over until them.
Would make things worse is funny. It really wouldn't.

Jaxa

It means nothing, the majority are still firmly brainwashed...

I get we uphold this image (for whatever reasons) that we’re some kind of gentleman/women of football and our fans need to act like it too so fair enough if you don’t want to boo but when I see those idiots applaud Ole off the pitch like everything is alright it aggravates me,

Just stop with the fakeness , the football is atrocious right now and Ole for all the brilliant moments he gave us as a player is paid millions of pounds per year and given millions of pounds to spend on football players to lead this team to some form of glory and is failing bad, like really bad so he’s not doing a good job and it’s alright to say that, you’re not less of a fan for acknowledging what’s right in front of you ffs

Sviken

Sarcastic applauding I assume! No one in his right mind would applaud him off after this?
Stadium regulars are different breed. They've been so brainwashed, they actually believe that booing the manager=not showing support from the club. This has mainly been done because Fergie, more or less, became synanymous with the club and thus booing someone incompetent like Ole would be like booing Fergie because Ole occupies the same position. And for most United fans - Fergie as the manager is all they've known. We're stuck in the past as a club, both inside and out. Prehistoric club, through and through.

GeorgieBoy

I was there today and we were singing ‘Donny Van De Beek’ to the tune of ‘Give It Up’ in our section.

My mate said his section was singing the oppo fan version.

M Bison

Supports
York City
I was there today and we were singing ‘Donny Van De Beek’ to the tune of ‘Give It Up’ in our section.

what is the general feeling in the stands? I can’t believe support remains within the stadium?

Nickelodeon

Please could you elaborate a bit. Was there genuine booing or a submissive acceptance?

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
what is the general feeling in the stands? I can’t believe support remains within the stadium?
Nah, everyone knows he is done. The singing section wasn’t very defiant second half which was a big change from Liverpool. A few nutters were doing their best and carrying on after FT, but it was pretty thin.Ole was also very specifically targeted for boos at full-time too just as he was leaving the pitch.

It’ll turn toxic if nothing changes very quickly.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Please could you elaborate a bit. Was there genuine booing or a submissive acceptance?
Booing at half time and full time, minor grumbles as we watched City take the piss. Then the moment of the VdB sub.

EDIT: Seeing other posters mention more from around them. Around me it was just very quiet and glum but there's not many vocal supporters where we have been moved to.

GeorgieBoy

Honestly there was a feeling of apathy from myself and the people around me.
Left the ground and there wasn’t much anger about the result; more of a numbness.

In either case, the above is grounds for his dismissal.

Kopral Jono

I get we uphold this image (for whatever reasons) that we’re some kind of gentleman/women of football and our fans need to act like it too so fair enough if you don’t want to boo but when I see those idiots applaud Ole off the pitch like everything is alright it aggravates me,

Just stop with the fakeness , the football is atrocious right now and Ole for all the brilliant moments he gave us as a player is paid millions of pounds per year and given millions of pounds to spend on football players to lead this team to some form of glory and is failing bad, like really bad so he’s not doing a good job and it’s alright to say that, you’re not less of a fan for acknowledging what’s right in front of you ffs
It's pure ego and a matter of identity to some, unfortunately. I'm not saying there's a right or wrong way to support a football club, there just simply isn't, but to some of these folks accepting mediocrity is fair game if it means getting rid of pesky plastic out-of-town fans.

Dan_F

It means nothing, the majority are still firmly brainwashed...

That’s just not the case. Everyone I speak to in and out of the stadium knows it’s not good enough, with even the most supportive Ole fans were admitting it’s not going to work out after the Liverpool game.

I’m not sure why people are still struggling to figure out that not booing, or singing when we’re losing, doesn’t mean you want Ole to continue.

Any football club that is making major decisions, like whether to sack a manager, based on how loud fans boo, is not run correctly.