g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Sarri being publicly humiliated by Arrizabalaga | Sarri benches Kepa

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Fair play. Couldn't remember. But still that was a funny story.
You know what was a funny story at that time? Arsenal being 0-4 up at Newcastle and Newcastle coming back. It was one the first melt downs that ive seen as far as internet goes. Epic times man.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
That it was 'tactical' is pure conjecture, but it seems like necessary conjecture for the outrage to carry on.
Wasn't Willy warming up even before Kepa had cramp the first time? (Someone on the radio said he was)

Why would he be warming up if not for a planned sub?

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
If they were they'd have done something on the pitch. Didn't look like any of the players were backing Sarri.
If they were angry with them they would have showed it in the moment. And it seems like Luiz was pleading his case.
Fair enough, I missed from ET onwards so didn’t see the incident (sorry to go all Wenger on you)

Emptihead

Supports
Manchester City
Probably, but you could argue it's more valuable for a team who can have someone who'll save more penalties, as opposed to scoring more, if that makes sense? I.e. - in the majority of cases penalties are scored, so it's basically the norm for them to go in anyway, whereas if you've got a keeper who can double the likelihood of saving any given pen, then your chances of winning increase exponentially. I think. Maybe. My maths and logic may be way off there.
I think keepers dive where they think the player will shoot it. For well taken penalties the keeper really doesn't have time to react to the shot. So essentially he is guessing where it is going to go. I'm sure you grow more of an understanding of players you face penalties from daily and can better predict where they are going to shoot slightly better. Don't think players react to keepers tendencies in shootouts as much.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I don't agree, managers are human beings too and they are capable of making mistakes. I didn't see Caballero being told to get ready if Sarri really wanted to play a different keeper for the PKs, Sarri and his team only told Caballero to get ready after Kepa decided to act as if injured. When Kepa did signal to the dugout that he was okay, the manager should have understood that instead of going ape-shit.
Yes, of course they are, but they're still ultimately responsible for making subs. That's...their job description. Appeal for your cause if you want diplomatically, but the decision is theirs and if you refuse, you're undermining the entire chain of command in regards to how the team works. All managers make mistakes - Fergie sometimes did too, in spite of his obvious genius, but that would've never washed as an excuse to defy him because he was the boss.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I think keepers dive where they think the player will shoot it. For well taken penalties the keeper really doesn't have time to react to the shot. So essentially he is guessing where it is going to go. I'm sure you grow more of an understanding of players you face penalties from daily and can better predict where they are going to shoot slightly better. Don't think players react to keepers tendencies in shootouts as much.
Yeah, I'd largely subscribe to that. For someone taking a penalty it's fairly easy to know where the keeper doesn't want you to put the ball - the least likely places they're going to be able to save them. But as the person taking the penalty the burden is still on them to put the ball there, and doing so isn't always easy. Whereas a keeper may be able to anticipate where a player is likely to then put the ball and react accordingly.

Siorac

You forgot to mention the most important detail, he was crying
Oh yeah, I actually forgot about that!

To be fair to him, that was the game when Eduardo suffered that horror injury.

Panixs

Supports
Fulham
This took some digging around but have found the rule.
League cup hand book says substitutions will be made in accordance with Law 3 found in the laws of the game.
Laws of the game and FA rules are here
http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-3---the-players

Under substitutions it states:
  • if a player who is to be replaced refuses to leave, play continues
So it seams that the Ref couldn't make him leave. Feels like it should be the other way around does it not.

padr81

Supports
Man City
League cup hand book says substitutions will be made in accordance with Law 3 found in the laws of the game.
http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-3---the-players

So it seams that the Ref couldn't make him leave. Feels like it should be the other way around does it not.
What a terrible rule...

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Did Azpilicueta really say "not my problem" post match? Because I have seen it go the rounds on Twitter but, can not find a direct quote. And it would show poor leadership as the captain if he said that.

dogwithabone

The only defence of Kepa I can see here is that if there wasn't a pre-plan to bring the sub keeper on just before penalties then if he genuinely felt fit enough to continue I guess his argument might have been .... 'I've kept a clean sheet, there was no plan to replace me if it went to penalties and I'm not injured' .... he may well have thought the sub keeper was only coming on to replace an injured one and if he wasn't injured then he may have been over ruling his boss in a genuinely positive sense.

If, on the other hand, it was always the plan to replace him in event of penalties looming the he's a disgrace and no excuse. Also could he have been faking the injuries to buy his outfield team mates a breather ?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Ridiculous from Kepa in the middle of what could have been an excellent night for his team. What a prick.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Gallas was so good for us. Everyone talks about the Terry & Carvalho partnership but Gallas was fantastic.

Bit of an emotional guy though. Bit of the Sol Campbell about him.
Felt a bit sorry for Gallas after that game. He'd witnessed one of his teammates suffer a fecking horrendous, potentially career ending injury. Obviously it's not ideally what you want in a captain but sometimes can get a bit much for people and there's not necessarily any shame in that.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I don't know why Sarri allowed him to honestly. He should have just pulled him off.

What is Kepa thinking? I wouldn't play him again as his manager. He's out. You can't behave like a spoiled brat and defy your manager like that.

Nucks

RT History Department
He’d be sold at 99% of clubs.

But this is Chelsea.
If he played for SAF, SAF would have ordered all the players to take off their boots, then called up every sporting goods store in the Greater Manchester area, had them deliver all the boots, and then thrown every single one at the kid, then terminated his contract on the spot.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Did Azpilicueta really say "not my problem" post match? Because I have seen it go the rounds on Twitter but, can not find a direct quote. And it would show poor leadership as the captain if he said that.
As far as I can see he just said he didn't see what happened because he was on the other side of the pitch so couldn't comment. Then someone on twitter said "Azpilicueta basically just said "it's not my problem"". Which then led to someone else on twitter saying "Azpilicueta literally just said "it's not my problem"".

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool

I’m assuming that rule isn’t applicable if the player in question has a head injury.

Not sure if anyone remembers, but Sakho has to be practically dragged off of the pitch in the 2016 COC final against City after getting a head injury which left him all over the place.

That rule is ridiculous.

JMack1234

In what other industry would you not get sacked for publicly defying and then humiliating your boss?

If I was a Chelsea fan i'd want a public apology and Kepa suspended for a few months.

Disgraceful and unprofessional behaviour.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Feel Sarri is now undermining himself further by somewhat accepting the blame publicly. Hard to imagine this is the same way it is being handled internally.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Sarri is a class act isn't he. Kepa is going to come out of this a lot better than he might've.