Saudi League thread

meamth

20 billion, and then what?

You need to have sustainable income to operate as a big club. China learned it the hard way.

You need a global following, history and prestige to attract new fans.

Saudis are weird bunch.

babablue

Is that the same PIF that owns Newcastle? So that means, Newcastle can get some young Saudi players into their academy, and then sell them for 25-30 million to those clubs, thus bypassing FFP.

Pintu

Is that the same PIF that owns Newcastle? So that means, Newcastle can get some young Saudi players into their academy, and then sell them for 25-30 million to those clubs, thus bypassing FFP.
I don’t think it would go well with any of the 4 clubs mentioned here… If I understand it well, the founding associations of these clubs will keep 25% of ownership and keep some power… More likely they’d be able to help them offload some deadwood that could be useful over there and doesn’t look too suspicious.

PIF would need an entirely plastic club with no fans and no involved third party to really operate such blatant money laundering scheme for the benefit of N’Castle.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica

You need to have sustainable income to operate as a big club. China learned it the hard way.

Saudis are weird bunch.
They don't care about being sustainable: this is just a PR stunt for them to be contenders to organize a WC

babablue

I don’t think it would go well with any of the 4 clubs mentioned here… If I understand it well, the founding associations of these clubs will keep 25% of ownership and keep some power… More likely they’d be able to help them offload some deadwood that could be useful over there and doesn’t look too suspicious.

PIF would need an entirely plastic club with no fans and no involved third party to really operate such blatant money laundering scheme for the benefit of N’Castle.
If it doesn't stop them from getting other players that improve the team, why would the fans care? I don't know if they have some sort of FFP locally, which would stop them from spending whatever they want.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Tbf the Saudi’s could pay their fans to come to the stadium to watch them, certainly would help with the fair play initiative.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
How fecking funny would it be if the greed of the prem to take in dirty bloodstained money resulted in all the worlds best plahers going to Saudi.

RVN1991

How fecking funny would it be if the greed of the prem to take in dirty bloodstained money resulted in all the worlds best plahers going to Saudi.
No chance. As long as Saudi Arabia is a totalitarian fanatical state no star in his prime will go to the Saudi league over a top European side, you might get an Oscar or two but they'll continue paying small fortunes for past their prime stars.

VanDeBank

Ma’am

Saudis are weird bunch.
You just need success. Kids that getting into footy at a young age often don't care about the rest.
And didn't the Chinese government put some sort of salary cap on their league? They were getting decent players up until then.

jm99

I wonder if sky or BT will be the rights for next season now that it's not just Ronaldo, but potentially Ronaldo, Messi, benzema, modric etc

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
No chance. As long as Saudi Arabia is a totalitarian fanatical state no star in his prime will go to the Saudi league over a top European side, you might get an Oscar or two but they'll continue paying small fortunes for past their prime stars.
You underestimate the power of money. Of course if the difference is £10m a year in England and £15m - £20m in Saudi Arabia many players will choose the former, but when it becomes £50m a year in Saudi or even £100m, majority will use the opportunity to cash in and go there.

That will only get them a few top players every now and again, it won’t cause Saudi league to suddenly jump above all other leagues, but it will be enough to disrupt the current flow if all of a sudden you have 15-20 of say the best 100 players in the world playing there.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I wonder if sky or BT will be the rights for next season now that it's not just Ronaldo, but potentially Ronaldo, Messi, benzema, modric etc
Why are you doing this guy dirty?

Moriarty

Saudis are weird bunch.
They'll pull down St. James' Park and rebuild it in Jeddah. All the barcodes home games will be played there with only Saudi officials in charge.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Daft of Zaha to go there, i get its ridiculous money but he's hardly going to be short by staying in the prem, yet is playing a far higher standard of football. Ridiculous decision imo.

NYAS

Chinese league was nowhere near these numbers.

hp88

This could be a decent summer for the Saudi league.

GoldanoGraham

They’ve got a handful of golden oldies in so far but the rest of the team and league is shite and of no standard…..Ronaldo, messi, benzema - 2 years max - then it all fizzles out…..just after being awarded the WC.

NYAS

We're going back close to a decade though and at the time the figures were equally ridiculous.
The figures were wild but a decade does not make the two comparable.

Paying Graziano Pelle €200k/week a decade ago, and paying Kante €2m/week tax-free now is nowhere near equal.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel

Paying Graziano Pelle €200k/week a decade ago, and paying Kante €2m/week tax-free now is nowhere near equal.
Tevez was getting 650k a week, Lavezzi was on 800k a week, with inflation its close to 10m a week if you use the price of Freddo bars as the barometer.

JagUTD

No but it's the same idea and the players go for the same reasons. Few if any enjoy it and because it's unsustainable it's very likely to collapse within a few years.

It's been done many times before, from the US through to Russia, China and now the Saudis. Only the US finally figured out that it doesn't work and that the key to building a successful football product from the ground up is investing in grass roots.

NYAS

No but it's the same idea and the players go for the same reasons. Few if any enjoy it and because it's unsustainable it's very likely to collapse within a few years.

It's been done many times before, from the US through to Russia, China and now the Saudis. Only the US finally figured out that it doesn't work and that the key to building a successful football product from the ground up is investing in grass roots.
Was just talking about the money. It’s going to be extremely difficult for players to turn that down.

Kazi

Daft of Zaha to go there, i get its ridiculous money but he's hardly going to be short by staying in the prem, yet is playing a far higher standard of football. Ridiculous decision imo.
That is nonsense, every single person would triple/quadruple their earnings if given the opportunity

JagUTD

Was just talking about the money. It’s going to be extremely difficult for players to turn that down.
Absolutely. Part of me doesn't blame them but another part thinks the football world should blacklist them like golf has do... Oh

Pintu

This could be a decent summer for the Saudi league.
15M a year is about 300/week. That’s probably 3 times his current wage. But still not worth throwing away his career. I believe Zaha can still get good offers in Europe.

Pintu

That is nonsense, every single person would triple/quadruple their earnings if given the opportunity
Zaha can increase his earning. And get a taste of a bigger club in Europe before joining Saudi Arabia…. He will stil be good enough for Saudi in 3/4 years time. No need to go there now.

jm99

Why are you doing this guy dirty?

I've got to be honest, that is the most ridiculous contract of all of them so far. He has nowhere near the profile of any of the others, or the ability any more to justify that kind of wage

Cloud7

Saudi Arabia are the Chelsea of this summer, signing everyone it seems

wangyu

I have to say it is going hard with all the names being thrown around here. Unexpected. It seems they missed out on the biggest fish though with Messi, at least for upcoming season.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Meh - good player but never going to play for a ‘big’ club. Will still get called up internationally and gets paid life changing money.

Abusian

Would be happy if they made Harry a big offer. I think we could be persuaded to sell.

tomaldinho1

That's nonsense.
Completely agree. At his level of wealth unless he has terrible people around him and has spent it all, he should be sitting on a fortune - yes it's nice to add to it but in Europe he'll easily be getting net £4-5m a year plus all the benefits that come with being in a CL club (which I assume is his aim) for his image rights, social media and 'brand'. On this, Ronaldo lost a lot over a million followers on instagram after his move to Saudi*, it simply is a less relevant and watched league and he used to make more money from social media than his actual football salary at Juve**, I assume also at United.

Whilst Zaha is nowhere near that level, if we are linking him to Saudi and assuming he's money motivated, a strategic move to a club with an international fanbase - for augment's sake let's say he goes to PSG - he's suddenly associated with Mbappe, Neymar etc. will be in the CL knockouts minimum and his profile is completely transformed. He can go Saudi in a couple of season anyway.

*CLV group study
**BusinessInsider