Saudi League thread

Oranges038

I am amazed Man Utd is not selling to these teams. Is it just a case of some of your dead wood do not want these fat Saudi pay checks?
Think it's more a case of not being on personal terms with the owner of 4 Saudi teams.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Jota from Celtic is off to the Saudi League too.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Their strategy is kinda working. They are buying Premier league players so they can have some sort of Premier league quality seal.
The truth is this thread generated more interest than brasilian série a thread, who is a much better league overall.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Their strategy is kinda working. They are buying Premier league players so they can have some sort of Premier league quality seal.
The truth is this thread generated more interest than brasilian série a thread, who is a much better league overall.
Of course it will, what's happening with the Saudi League is directly impacting Premier League sides.

Is anything happening in the Brasilian league outside of the usual?

Cloud7

There certainly seems to be more going on there than China had happening (though the sums of money seem to be much larger as well).

At this point I’m more curious about what happens next summer. Does a year of this project make it more appealing to a wider range of players next year?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
There certainly seems to be more going on there than China had happening (though the sums of money seem to be much larger as well).

At this point I’m more curious about what happens next summer. Does a year of this project make it more appealing to a wider range of players next year?
Pretty sure with China it was wealthy individuals and companies that were doing all the lavish spending and it met it's demise due to a government crackdown. This Saudi spending spree is directly funded by the government

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I don’t get the plan. With all of this money spent - will anyone watch this competition next year? Is anyone planning on watching a Saudi league game?

Cloud7

I don’t get the plan. With all of this money spent - will anyone watch this competition next year? Is anyone planning on watching a Saudi league game?
That’s an excellent question. Who exactly will be watching this league? Who will be broadcasting it?

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Nah, I only watched one Ronaldo match (not all 90 minutes). Quality was quite poor. Also doesn't really appeal to me but that's just my opinion. The league will evolve but it will take time.

sideshowbob

Think it’s time we all start picking a Saudi team. Can someone with good knowledge of the league make a bit of a one stop guide to all the teams.

Players signed, manager, players linked with, team history etc.

Marauder1

Supports
Ex Liverpool.Football Agnostic
But… what is the point then? I don’t get it.
Apparently they want annual revenue from the league to reach €440m by 2030, which covers a few players wages at the current rate, so the point isn't to make money in the medium term. I presume its part of some larger plan to transform Saudi into some sort of sporting mecca as part of moving from a fossil fuel based economy, they spend a ton on the likes of golf and boxing aswell. It seems questionable to me, more money than sense.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Apparently they want annual revenue from the league to reach €440m by 2030, which covers a few players wages at the current rate, so the point isn't to make money in the medium term. I presume its part of some larger plan to transform Saudi into some sort of sporting mecca as part of moving from a fossil fuel based economy, they spend a ton on the likes of golf and boxing aswell. It seems questionable to me, more money than sense.
I just don’t see how it works. I can’t imagine anyone watching these games at all,

Marauder1

Supports
Ex Liverpool.Football Agnostic
I just don’t see how it works. I can’t imagine anyone watching these games at all,
I can't imagine the idea is to go toe to toe with the European leagues, that would be a bat shit crazy strategy. It has to be about building a base that enables them to become the leading league and destination for middle eastern players. That seems viable and is a big market.

PeteManic

Saudis pushing hard for WC 2030 and the sad thing is I'd say FIFA will overlook centenary sentimentalism to give it to them.

stw2022

The standard is going to be gash for at least at generation. Viewers aren't going to be paid £3m a week to watch it, so they will struggle to sustain an audience. I expect within a few years of it struggling to catch fire or make a televisual impact they'll give in

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Unless they start taking world class players in their prime from Europe, it will just be another league with veterans and a couple of current internationals

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Imagine being a multimillionaire by 24 then flushing your career down the drain for more money?

I can fully understand those at the end of their careers like Benzema etc topping up their coffers because they've been in the big league for more than a decade, but a player at the start of their career? Dumb move.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Imagine being a multimillionaire by 24 then flushing your career down the drain for more money?

I can fully understand those at the end of their careers like Benzema etc topping up their coffers because they've been in the big league for more than a decade, but a player at the start of their career? Dumb move.
Is it? If he goes there for a couple of years he makes an obscene amount of money, plays with some great players and can still come back to Europe when he's 26. Absolute worst case he's even richer and is still only 27 at the end of his contract. It's not like this lad was going to the top of the game, you can understand his choice.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Is it? If he goes there for a couple of years he makes an obscene amount of money, plays with some great players and can still come back to Europe when he's 26. Absolute worst case he's even richer and is still only 27 at the end of his contract. It's not like this lad was going to the top of the game, you can understand his choice.
Sure, like Oscar eh? It's pure greed, forsaking key years of your career to become even wealthier.

Like I said, at the end of your career sure, get that cash, but I will never understand a millionaire wasting key years of their careers chasing even more money.

Also, let's say he was on circa 10-15k a week at Celtic, and no doubt at 24 he's already a multi millionaire, whichever way you frame it he's throwing away the best chance he had at going to a "top" club for money, it's crazy.

Edit : apparently he was earning £28k a week at Celtic.

JB7

Sure, like Oscar eh? It's pure greed, forsaking key years of your career to become even wealthier.

Like I said, at the end of your career sure, get that cash, but I will never understand a millionaire wasting key years of their careers chasing even more money.

Also, let's say he was on circa 10-15k a week at Celtic, and no doubt at 24 he's already a multi millionaire, whichever way you frame it he's throwing away the best chance he had at going to a "top" club for money, it's crazy.

Why is someone earning £10-15k a week at the age of 24 "no doubt" a multi millionaire? Take home pay on £15k a week is not much more than £400k a year take home after tax; do you think people earning £15k a week don't spend money?

So if the £28k a week you've said is correct then in real terms he's gone from taking home £15k a week after tax at Celtic to £192k a week tax-free at Al-Ittihad. I don't care what your profession or current financial standing is, if someone offers you nearly 13 times as much money as you're currently earning, it's vey difficult to turn down. Even more so in sport where you are one bad challenge away from your career being over in the blink of an eye.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.

What's the problem? It's not like he is some generational talent. He can come back after 2 years.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

Not really like Oscar no. Oscar was a far better player than this lad. And in fairness the opportunity to play alongside Kanté and Benzema is not to be sniffed at. Neves is much more comparable to the Oscar situation because he probably could play for a CL team in one of the top leagues but seems to have chosen the money instead.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Why is someone earning £10-15k a week at the age of 24 "no doubt" a multi millionaire? Take home pay on £15k a week is not much more than £400k a year take home after tax; do you think people earning £15k a week don't spend money?

So if the £28k a week you've said is correct then in real terms he's gone from taking home £15k a week after tax at Celtic to £192k a week tax-free at Al-Ittihad. I don't care what your profession or current financial standing is, if someone offers you nearly 13 times as much money as you're currently earning, it's vey difficult to turn down. Even more so in sport where you are one bad challenge away from your career being over in the blink of an eye.
Because he's been in football since a child, him earning £28k for the year he was at Celtic doesn't include his years as a Benfica player, if you can't fathom that he's already earning millions then it's pointless going down this route.

No doubt it's a seriously tempting offer, but I'm pretty sure he was talked about on here before, so I'm assuming he could have taken the path similar to Van Dijk, again, earning millions, at a certain point choosing more money over a better career is just a dumb move.

@ayushreddevil9 no real problem, just find the choice to cut your top flight career short for more millions on top of your current millions seriously short sighted, he may not have been a generational talent, but like I said above, he was talked about on here so you can guarantee PL clubs were looking at him.

2 years away at league 2/1 level just as you're about to hit your prime is a major thing, doubt he could find a club in a top league to pay money for him after spending 2+ years at that level.

@TwoSheds I'm not really talking about how good he is, he could have moved to the Premier League, Oscar may have been better, but Jota could have moved to a better league and had a breakout season where top clubs took notice, he's now thrown that chance away to earn a few extra million.

Listen, I'll say it again, if you're close to retirement and you get offered crazy money then sure, why not, but at 24 you're pissing away key years to earn a couple more million than you already would have, simply saying its short sighted (same applies for Neves).