Saudi signing wave: What are the implications? Is it weakening the Premier League?

Superunknown

If they're signing all of the mercenaries, then...I guess this is useful, in a way? Might be quite a decent filtering process. :lol:

Gavinb33

The tourism thing doesn't really wash with me, who is going to spend money going to Saudi to watch football, the reason it works in Europe is there is a history attached to the clubs names like Manchester United, Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Real Madrid to mention 4 mean something people dont go to watch these teams because of players they go for the history and of course they have great players too, but i dont buy people are going to fly to Saudi to watch Victor Osimhen and Ronaldo play for Al Nassr or Al Hilal or whichever other club may or may not sign the next big hype from Europe, also further there are only a certain amount of players they can sign they cant have everyone and i still think most players in their peak would rather play in Europe until their 30's then do a retirement tour there.

Also regarding players wages i'd much rather the players who are mostly working class lads get the money generated from football in Europe than owners like the Glazers and the rest of the cabal who own the other clubs.

red.knight

The Saudi club offered Victor Osimhen £1m per week salary. What will your advice to Osimhen be? Stay in Napoli or go to Saudi?

red.knight

I suspect only a matter of time before greedy UEFA will want a share of pie and allow atleast 2 Saudi teams in CL as a guest or wildcard.

Abusian

Just my opinion obviously, but I think it’ll fizzle out.

1. The players will hate living in Saudi despite the money. It is an authoritarian theocracy, which is no fun at all. Even though they’ll live on compounds, there’s just nothing to do. There’s no prospect of meeting girls. Girlfriends won’t get visas to visit or live there (need to be married), and many of their wives won’t come (they can’t drive or work or dress normally and, most importantly, no wine), so I can’t see guys going out there long term.
2. Players who go may risk their NT status by playing in a basically uncompetitive league, a big issue for young players at the start of an international career perhaps?
3. No CL or meaningful equivalent.
4. Quite a few players are religious, but all other religions are literally banned in KSA, which could be a problem for some of them. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if the religious police kicked up a fuss about players blessing themselves, that’s how extreme it is.
6. The clubs there have no fans and no history. I think players like the idea of playing for big clubs with massive fan bases and a rich history.

I guess we’ll all watch with interest…

robbie81

Supports
Chelsea

1. The players will hate living in Saudi despite the money. It is an authoritarian theocracy, which is no fun at all. Even though they’ll live on compounds, there’s just nothing to do. There’s no prospect of meeting girls. Girlfriends won’t get visas to visit or live there (need to be married), and many of their wives won’t come (they can’t drive or work or dress normally and, most importantly, no wine), so I can’t see guys going out there long term.
2. Players who go may risk their NT status by playing in a basically uncompetitive league, a big issue for young players at the start of an international career perhaps?
4. Quite a few players are religious, but all other religions are literally banned in KSA, which could be a problem for some of them. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if the religious police kicked up a fuss about players blessing themselves, that’s how extreme it is.
6. The clubs there have no fans and no history. I think players like the idea of playing for big clubs with massive fan bases and a rich history.

I see Talisca, he seems doing just fine. He could easily play Premier League imo and he is Cristian. Osimhen would also still be playing for Nigeria, they dont care where you play as long as you are good enough.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Saudi continues to be a culturally insular place (beyond the already restrictive confines of religion) that will alienate majority of the EPL fanbase. Poaching top talent will not change the fact.

In many ways I find their moves for top European players almost paradoxical to their cultural standpoint.

Money can change a lot of things but it certainly can't banish ones' historically deep seated cultural roots. The players will follow the money (or some of them would), but I don't think the fans will dance to the same tune especially when there is almost zero incentive to follow suite from an audience perspective.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
The tourism thing doesn't really wash with me, who is going to spend money going to Saudi to watch football, the reason it works in Europe is there is a history attached to the clubs names like Manchester United, Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Real Madrid to mention 4 mean something people dont go to watch these teams because of players they go for the history and of course they have great players too, but i dont buy people are going to fly to Saudi to watch Victor Osimhen and Ronaldo play for Al Nassr or Al Hilal or whichever other club may or may not sign the next big hype from Europe, also further there are only a certain amount of players they can sign they cant have everyone and i still think most players in their peak would rather play in Europe until their 30's then do a retirement tour there.

Also regarding players wages i'd much rather the players who are mostly working class lads get the money generated from football in Europe than owners like the Glazers and the rest of the cabal who own the other clubs.
If enough of the world's best players go there, there'll be plenty of people willing to go and watch Harlem Globetrotter teams playing each other.

Never underestimate how much human beings like shiny new things with zero emotional attachment.

troylocker

It just a disgrace. I'm so disappointed with the players that has left for Saudi this window. No morals and no ambition. Just greed, greed, greed.
Sportswashing win, humanity lose.

Everyone just stay away from watching it!

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I think the premier league will be ok for now but I can't imagine the Spanish, Italian or German leagues surviving when their mid and lower table teams will be bled dry of any decent talent.

Cloud7

The offers for Osinhem and Mbappe are only a sign of what’s coming in the next couple of years.
Far from just being a destination for players approaching their retirement, Saudi are going to be shopping for the best talent across Europe and South America.
They’ve hardly started dipping into the pot of gold, set aside for this project.

It’s going to be very hard to pass up the ginormous personal terms being offered, even for players in their early and mid twenties, who are already, or could end up playing for the top teams in Europe.
After all said and done, a footballers career is quite a short period in their early life (assuming they live to a decent age).
They need to consider carefully, where they’ll be, financially, at the end of it.

Younger star players could go there for just a couple of years and still have years left to be playing a the top level in Europe afterwards.
I do wonder if they might start going one level further back. Meaning, for example, they go after a Vinicius in Brazil before Real Madrid do, or nab Haaland out of Norway before he ends up at the Red Bull clubs and then moves on up. I think that would be quite disruptive to the current football eco-system on all levels.

Lowkey

you really see how racist and hypocritical some people are on here. no issues when the premier league has been doing the same thing since it began. money talks. stop being brainwashed by the western media thinking we are somehow better morally or ethically people because we arent.

justsomebloke

The Saudi club offered Victor Osimhen £1m per week salary. What will your advice to Osimhen be? Stay in Napoli or go to Saudi?
Stay in Napoli. You have a real chance to establish yourself as one of the top players in the world. That won't happen if you play in SA, no matter how well you do. If you become that kind of player, the money side will take care of itself.

Jericho

Stay in Napoli. You have a real chance to establish yourself as one of the top players in the world. That won't happen if you play in SA, no matter how well you do. If you become that kind of player, the money side will take care of itself.
I guess the doubt might be the issue for some players. With Saudi money on the table they might think it's too big of a gamble not to take it.

Jericho

you really see how racist and hypocritical some people are on here. no issues when the premier league has been doing the same thing since it began. money talks. stop being brainwashed by the western media thinking we are somehow better morally or ethically people because we arent.
Hypocritical, maybe. Racist? What evidence do you have of that?

crossy1686

career ending
Yeah it’s a bit crazy to be honest. If it was the other way around people would be rightly very excited by the change.

There’s nothing wrong with people moving to a place where they will get paid more for the job they do. If people don’t like that then they should be upset with capitalism, not the people that live within the system.

crossy1686

career ending
Hypocritical, maybe. Racist? What evidence do you have of that?
I’m more than certain people weren’t acting the same way when Russia and China did the same exact thing. All of a sudden it’s bad for the PL and it’s nothing but sports washing. There is a clear difference between the way people have been acting towards the Middle East.

OleGunnar20

I’m more than certain people weren’t acting the same way when Russia and China did the same exact thing. All of a sudden it’s bad for the PL and it’s nothing but sports washing. There is a clear difference between the way people have been acting towards the Middle East.
I wonder whether that's predominantly racism though or more the case of this Saudi League being a real threat to established leagues, whereas Russia & China were clearly from the beginning nothing more than a flash in the pan.

Bit of both I suspect.

justsomebloke

Oh God, not that tired old bullshit again. "Nobody's perfect so everyone's the same". Crap. There IS a difference. Britain isn't run by autocratic monarchs, chop people's heads off, treat women like they're property or put people in jail for being gay. Obviously going somewhere to play football doesn't necessarily mean you approve of everything in the place, but there is, and should be, a limit somewhere. So when someone like Jordan Henderson takes on a high-profile role as an LGBTQ ally and then signs for a club owned by state that practices the complete opposite of that, there's an undeniable moral aspect to that.

However, by and large this thread hasn't really been about that. It's been about what are the Saudis trying to build, and how will it affect the premier league.

justsomebloke

I guess the doubt might be the issue for some players. With Saudi money on the table they might think it's too big of a gamble not to take it.
Okay. Then they opt out of ambition for the sake of money. I wouldn't think a lot of players would get to the level Osimhen are at if they're not driven to be the best they can be.

crossy1686

career ending
I wonder whether that's predominantly racism though or more the case of this Saudi League being a real threat to established leagues, whereas Russia & China were clearly from the beginning nothing more than a flash in the pan.

Bit of both I suspect.
Probably a bit of both? But the reality is the Saudi league will only ever be close the threatening the French league and where they are in the global scheme of league standings. They’re never going to get close to England, Spain, Germany and Italy, but let’s have this chat again in 50 years and I might change my mind.

Football is about more than where some good players decide to ply their trade. I cannot envisage a world where European kids grow up dreaming of winning the Arabian cup or giving their mates shit in the pub about Al-Nassar losing to Al-Shabib at the weekend, while wearing their replica shirts.

I went to an African barbers in Stockholm yesterday and sat in the middle of about 10 African lads having a blazing row about Arsenal, City and United in regards to the PL.

Good luck to them, I hope it works out for the guys that go over there and I hope the project is successful.

Abusian

It is very hard to even get a visa to visit Saudi unless you have a local sponsor, so the idea of popping over for the weekend to catch a game is a non starter. And even if you did get one, there’s nothing to do there. Also no booze, no tourist stuff. No gambling, no girls, no public assembly etc. Even though you’re on a compound, it’s a dreadful place to live. Having said that the Saudis themselves are really lovely people, it’s their government that is the problem.

tomaldinho1

How long does a reputation last and what is your basis for the number?
I mean, there is no scientific equation here just my opinion. Just imagine Osimhem goes there now and then is linked with United in a couple of years, I doubt too many would think he's suddenly a much worse player.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The PL money has made European competitions a tournament of the English vs Real Madrid and Bayern Munich but we want to complain about competitions being weakened :lol:

justsomebloke

Probably a bit of both? But the reality is the Saudi league will only ever be close the threatening the French league and where they are in the global scheme of league standings. They’re never going to get close to England, Spain, Germany and Italy, but let’s have this chat again in 50 years and I might change my mind.

Football is about more than where some good players decide to ply their trade. I cannot envisage a world where European kids grow up dreaming of winning the Arabian cup or giving their mates shit in the pub about Al-Nassar losing to Al-Shabib at the weekend, while wearing their replica shirts.

I went to an African barbers in Stockholm yesterday and sat in the middle of about 10 African lads having a blazing row about Arsenal, City and United in regards to the PL.

Good luck to them, I hope it works out for the guys that go over there and I hope the project is successful.
If we're taking a wider perspective ("What's good for football", rather then "what's good for the Premier League"), I suppose there's something to be said for the emergence of a league in Asia with an appeal outside its own region, and the drawing power to pull major talent.

justsomebloke

I mean, there is no scientific equation here just my opinion. Just imagine Osimhem goes there now and then is linked with United in a couple of years, I doubt too many would think he's suddenly a much worse player.
Really? Players reputations are really not that stable. A year ago, no one had heard of Rasmus Hojlund and two years ago we paid 80m for Jadon Sancho.

crossy1686

career ending
Really? Players reputations are really not that stable. A year ago, no one had heard of Rasmus Hojlund and two years ago we paid 80m for Jadon Sancho.
Don’t know mate, Pele held a pretty stellar reputation and never played in Europe. We’ll still see these amazing players at major tournaments.

tomaldinho1

Hojlund isn't a good example, Osimhem is a known entity. Sancho we've seen be pretty crap and yet you still see people saying he'd go for £50m+. That's with him being given a sabbatical and generally looking average. There is still some hope he will 'rediscover' his Dortmund form for example. Osimhem would go there, no one would really watch how he got on nor would it be that useful because the league is in its infancy so if he wanted to come back people would inevitably bring up his Napoli form as a yardstick.

Lowkey

Oh God, not that tired old bullshit again. "Nobody's perfect so everyone's the same". Crap. There IS a difference. Britain isn't run by autocratic monarchs, chop people's heads off, treat women like they're property or put people in jail for being gay. Obviously going somewhere to play football doesn't necessarily mean you approve of everything in the place, but there is, and should be, a limit somewhere. So when someone like Jordan Henderson takes on a high-profile role as an LGBTQ ally and then signs for a club owned by state that practices the complete opposite of that, there's an undeniable moral aspect to that.

However, by and large this thread hasn't really been about that. It's been about what are the Saudis trying to build, and how will it affect the premier league.
ye this dude is woke. you really think britain are the pillars of society??? you do realise britain itself has some of the worst, darkest, corrupt political history probably out of every other country ever. and if you think all saudis go around chopping peoples heads off and treating women like property then you are just uneducated and i feel sorry for you tbh.

stay woke bro, you are cool. keep repping

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Isn't this good for the Premier League. They're coming in and spending absurd money on decent players, or players coming to the end of their careers, therefore making the clubs/league richer.

Premier League clubs are now able to sell players that they don't want, for fees that they would've never have been able to get previously. I suppose the only one that stands out to be would be Saint-Maximin. A young, exciting player who's still in his prime.

jadaba

I agree that some elements of the lifestyle will take some getting used to for players but the idea that players won't be able to live with their girlfriends or that they won't be able to drink or access alcohol is outdated. Alcohol flows easily in those wealthy compounds where the players will reside, and authorities are turning blind eyes to unmarried footballing couples living together. There are parties, clubs, festivals, there are things to do. Sure there'll be culture shocks but Saudi's working pretty hard to make itself a playground for the global rich, they're absolutely not going to sabotage themselves by going after players doing the sign of the cross after grabbing a goal. Besides, the religious police have had their powers dramatically reduced.

That being said, while the prospect of sucking it up and living there for a couple of years to double your previous career earnings as your playing days come to an end can be appealing, it seems like such an unattractive prospect for younger players with ambition. A real talent spending a decade there will happen, but I'd be surprised if it becomes anything other than a rare case.

lsd

The Oracle
What's the betting at some point Saudi teams will be allowed into the champions League?

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
What's the betting at some point Saudi teams will be allowed into the champions League?
Considering all the fuss about the super league, incredibly slim

justsomebloke

ye this dude is woke. you really think britain are the pillars of society??? you do realise britain itself has some of the worst, darkest, corrupt political history probably out of every other country ever. and if you think all saudis go around chopping peoples heads off and treating women like property then you are just uneducated and i feel sorry for you tbh.

stay woke bro, you are cool. keep repping
No. I'm pointing out the Saudi state is chopping people's heads off and denying women basic rights that are taken for granted most other places, and, more generally, the idiocy of arguing that everywhere that's not perfect is therefore the same as everywhere else that's also not perfect. I see in your case it also stretches to an inability to imagine that other people might not think in terms of the same pointless absolutes that you do.

And for feck's sake, don't use the word "woke". That's only used insultingly by people who are too dishonest or lazy to actually identify the reasons why they disagree with something someone says, or reverently by people so full of themselves they think they don't have to justify what they think.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
There was plenty of criticism for players that went to Russia and China. Oscar was slated by almost everyone when he left Chelsea.

Pass and Move

Europe salaries have been sickening for a while. Saudi Arabia have just upped you in the sick stakes but that horse left the stable a long time ago
European salaries have, with very few exceptions, been proportional to the value they add to the club through commercial and sporting revenue and therefore justifiable.This isn’t the case with the Saudi clubs.

tomaldinho1

Surely it was more that they weren't genuine threats long term? I'd say people's attitudes are more favourable to Middle East than either of those countries in general these days.