Saudi Takeover - Claim deal done

Status
Not open for further replies.

red thru&thru

For what its worth I wanted to mention yesterday but have been too lazy to check it. Do you remember the rumour about the Sauds becoming minority owners instead of actually purchasing the club, I seem to remember that but wonder if I imagined it?
No, I personally haven't heard that. If you do happen to come across where you may have read or heard it, ping it across.

Personally, I doubt they'd want that, as they would want all glory to themselves and their image. However what I could see is, a proxy company purchasing the club, initially at least, on behalf of MBS. But recent official reports from the Future Investments, that they will invest a lot more into sports, so buying United makes sense, from that prospective.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Most of us are hypocrites and it's kind of fine as long as we are aware of it. I don't want the house of Saud to be linked to United but there is next to no chance that I stop following and loving the club, I will just dislike the owners if it was to happen.
Agree

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
This is a big fat lie. Form 144 must be filed with the SEC by an affiliate of the issuer as a notice of the proposed sale of securities.
Even if they are 'only' buying the Glazer Family personal stake, not the publicly traded portion?

How has the share price been affected by this news, does the US market see this as bullshit?

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
No, I personally haven't heard that. If you do happen to come across where you may have read or heard it, ping it across.

Personally, I doubt they'd want that, as they would want all glory to themselves and their image. However what I could see is, a proxy company purchasing the club, initially at least, on behalf of MBS. But recent official reports from the Future Investments, that they will invest a lot more into sports, so buying United makes sense, from that prospective.
Money isn't an issue for them at all and by no means an incentive for them either. Glazers are just milking the shit out of our revenues, there's a massive difference in their intentions. City's owners wouldn't have had much of an idea but the difference is they have employed credible employees for the relevant roles needed to perform whereas we have a bunch of amateurs in very senior positions in the club.
A takeover is our only way out. Whoever the buyer is, they need to be driven to succeed and push the club forward. Our owners are cnuts of the highest order and nothing in the structure of the club will change until they leave.

Enigma_87

You know who
When would be the best time to sell?
Best is subjective, but they can easily sell at better terms than now and stocks can easily reach $20, regardless of what is happening on the pitch.
So they'll wait for us to continually get worse, our value plummets even further and then sell us?
United is a great brand. Our commercial value is not likely to decline that much. They reap very good dividends year after year. If you are a businessman why would you sell at this point? Saudi's will also not pay the face value they would want, we had numerous rumors about Saudi's wanting us even before the Glazers and nothing has materialized.

Enigma_87

You know who
That's not the point. The poster questioned the idea of the sell of a club at any time.
At any time probably you have a point. But to sell your biggest asset and profitable business to finance the one one the wane is never a good idea.

Money isn't an issue for them at all and by no means an incentive for them either. Glazers are just milking the shit out of our revenues, there's a massive difference in their intentions. City's owners wouldn't have had much of an idea but the difference is they have employed credible employees for the relevant roles needed to perform whereas we have a bunch of amateurs in very senior positions in the club.
You are looking at it in the best case scenario. What if the structure doesn't work out and they lose interest?

red thru&thru

Best is subjective, but they can easily sell at better terms than now and stocks can easily reach $20, regardless of what is happening on the pitch.
Out of curiosity, how would they reach back up to $20? I personally don't think the Glazer's could do it but you say it could be easily done, so would be interesting to understand how?

nimic

something nice
Scout
You must be absolutely insane to think a true businessman would even entertain the idea, nevermind sell a club like United.

You don't need a PhD in Business and Management to know that you don't sell a business that is profitable. These guys are not your average entrepreneurs that own a small coffee shop, they're top dogs that have made a fortune by being bloody smart, they don't sell one of football's mammoths who, financially, also happen to be right there at the very top.

These guys don't just sell because fans fly some banners by an air plane, they don't care about this, they use their brains when conducting business, not their soul, they are ruthless and don't care you are upset for a loss away at Bournemouth.

Just look at Abramovich - can't attend matches, can't even visit the UK and there is no sign he'll do it soon. Still he won't sell this kind of profitable business because these guys put money before everything, don't care if they cannot attend matches or if anyone flies useless banners as long as the business in growing which is happening at both Chelsea and United.
Abramovich didn't buy Chelsea to make money, and I'm fairly sure he's spent a lot more than he's made from owning it.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
At any time probably you have a point. But to sell your biggest asset and profitable business to finance the one one the wane is never a good idea.
But United do not generate that much money, you are not talking about selling BP but a business that at best generates around 20m per year between 10 people. Selling that business at 3-4bn is almost a no brainer unless if you have some sort of irrational feelings for that business. In France it would be more lucrative to take the money and put it in a Livret A.
At the end of the day United is a small business when you look outside of sport.

Last edited:

dove

United is a great brand. Our commercial value is not likely to decline that much. They reap very good dividends year after year. If you are a businessman why would you sell at this point? Saudi's will also not pay the face value they would want, we had numerous rumors about Saudi's wanting us even before the Glazers and nothing has materialized.
Because they will need to invest money, a lot of money. Our commercial value is not declining just yet but we have stagnated for the past 3 years or so while others cached up. No matter what Ed says about not having to be competitive to still make money, you can live so long from your reputation if you are shite for x years. Our commercial revenues will drop massively next year once we miss the CL 2nd year in the row. If Saudis make a good offer I don't see why they wouldn't be interested in selling.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
On the one hand, I don’t want them owning my club. On the other, would it be such a bad thing if they brought Oliver Holt for a tour around the embassy?
That depends if one has hands in the first place.

Enigma_87

You know who
Out of curiosity, how would they reach back up to $20? I personally don't think the Glazer's could do it but you say it could be easily done, so would be interesting to understand how?
It was at that price several months ago. Broadcasting rights will only go up. Enhancing partnerships and global partners can raise the value. Opting out shares too. There are ways of raising the stock value if they do intend to sell.

Enigma_87

You know who
But United do not generate that much money, you are not talking about selling BP but a business that at best generates around 20m per year between 10 people. Selling that business at 3-4bn is almost a no brainer unless if you have some sort of irrational feelings for that business. In France it would be more lucrative to take the money and put it in a Livret A.
At the end of the day United is a small business when you look outside of sport.
They have control and can raise the dividends. Either way 3-4bn is not possible, at least in my opinion in straight cash at this given point, and if the deal is stock options, again I see no point in selling it at the moment.

Enigma_87

You know who
Because they will need to invest money, a lot of money. Our commercial value is not declining just yet but we have stagnated for the past 3 years or so while others cached up. No matter what Ed says about not having to be competitive to still make money, you can live so long from your reputation if you are shite for x years. Our commercial revenues will drop massively next year once we miss the CL 2nd year in the row. If Saudis make a good offer I don't see why they wouldn't be interested in selling.
We are yet to see decline in the commercial side, apart from missing out targets with the sponsorship based on performance.

We have been shite for x years yet posted record earnings in 18/19.

JPRouve

Scout
They have control and can raise the dividends. Either way 3-4bn is not possible, at least in my opinion in straight cash at this given point, and if the deal is stock options, again I see no point in selling it at the moment.
But that's where Aramco current situation gets interesting, I would definitely take a mix of cash and stocks if I was the Glazers. But one thing that I wouldn't discount is the fact that United was one of Malcolm's last purchases which may mean something for his children.

red thru&thru

It was at that price several months ago. Broadcasting rights will only go up. Enhancing partnerships and global partners can raise the value. Opting out shares too. There are ways of raising the stock value if they do intend to sell.
But we have to be in the correct competitions to receive any broadcast rights. I mean, CL is one of the biggest paying one's and we will be out of that competitions for two years running. Also, there is a feeling that broadcast won't really be going up much.

Commercial? Adidas will be paying us less for not being in the CL for 2 years running. When you say opting out shares, do you mean offer more shares? If they do, this devalues the club, not add value to it.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
But that's where Aramco current situation gets interesting, I would definitely take a mix of cash and stocks if I was the Glazers. But one thing that I wouldn't discount is the fact that United was one of Malcolm's last purchases which may mean something for his children.
Aramco isn’t being floated to foreign investors as of yet iirc.

dove

We are yet to see decline in the commercial side, apart from missing out targets with the sponsorship based on performance.

We have been shite for x years yet posted record earnings in 18/19.
I think we are starting to see it in our new sponsorship deals. Someone can correct me if I am wrong but even the likes of Arsenal managed to get more money for sleeve sponsorship and there were rumours (so possibly not true of course) that we want to find a sponsor who pays similar amount to Chevy for main kit sponsor which we signed like 6 years ago? To me it's a clear indication of decline of our commercial power. Our revenue goes up thanks to broadcasting deals but it goes up for all clubs in the league.

AneRu

They would have to wait for literally over a hundred years for dividends to match the figures being touted on this deal, in my opinion they would be incredibly stupid to decline an offer of over 3 billion pounds and if the Saudis want the club enough that's exactly what they need to be offering. United is a great brand but that greatness is derived from its huge fan base and in a way this is a double edged sword, the fans will revolt if the decline persists and to plug it you have to invest another half a billion and hope that this time it works. Most of our major commercial deals are due to be renegotiated or expire and Woodward would need to be one hell of a negotiator to secure the values that managed to secure when we were still a top team.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
The Saudis couldn't care less about what's best for the club, cleaning their image and getting one over on the UAE is their only motivation. The stadium falling apart is way down the list of priorities just as it has been for the Glazers.

No.

The reasons I am in opposition to Saudi ownership are on display in this thread already (read up)

The history books can say whatever they like. I do not acknowledge a single trophy City have won since they were brought out. I will feel the exact same way if/when United get brought by the Saudis. Quote me if you like.

If the Saudis come in they will want to show the World just how much money they really have and no way would accept the cesspool of a stadium we really have. Everything from training grounds to dressing rooms would become state of the art

It's a respectable stance you're taking but in my opinion life is too short not to make the most of opportunities when they arrive. The perfect scenario (and most obvious) would be to get rid of Ed and actually getting someone in who knows what they're doing. I then wouldn't have a problem with the Glazers staying over a Saudi takeover (even though I want the Glazers out)

I'm at an age where I don't want to see another 10 years of the shit show we're seeing now. Selfish I know but my enjoyment is Manchester United and it would be a lot easier to enjoy them signing top class talents instead of Freds every season. If the Glazers finally get their act together, perfect. If Bill Gates or some other Billionaire buys us perfect if the Saudis buys us I really won't lose any sleep at night. No one not even the owners are bigger than United. Owners come and go United will always be here.

Enigma_87

You know who
But we have to be in the correct competitions to receive any broadcast rights. I mean, CL is one of the biggest paying one's and we will be out of that competitions for two years running. Also, there is a feeling that broadcast won't really be going up much.

Commercial? Adidas will be paying us less for not being in the CL for 2 years running. When you say opting out shares, do you mean offer more shares? If they do, this devalues the club, not add value to it.
I meant using share buybacks to boost EPS.

If we're discussing purely the footballing side - getting top 4 will ensure the stocks go up and this is not that far fetched idea in the next season or two.

Adidas deal is halfway through. If they don't offer us better package in 5 years time I can see some Asian company do, trying to strengthen their European market and paying premium.

There is also room for improving broadcasting rights even through MUTV, let alone CL and PL. There are also tours and improving the Asian/USA market even further.

We're doing ok commercially even being in the biggest slump since Fergie left. A title challenge can only propel our stock prices and if the Glazers can wait 5-10 years (can't see why they won't) they will be in much stronger position to sell, IMO.

Enigma_87

You know who
They would have to wait for literally over a hundred years for dividends to match the figures being touted on this deal, in my opinion they would be incredibly stupid to decline an offer of over 3 billion pounds and if the Saudis want the club enough that's exactly what they need to be offering. United is a great brand but that greatness is derived from its huge fan base and in a way this is a double edged sword, the fans will revolt if the decline persists and to plug it you have to invest another half a billion and hope that this time it works. Most of our major commercial deals are due to be renegotiated or expire and Woodward would need to be one hell of a negotiator to secure the values that managed to secure when we were still a top team.
Again, I won't read too much in it. No one is going to pay them 3bn in straight cash. If that was the case we would've been sold to Saudis long time ago.

I think we are starting to see it in our new sponsorship deals. Someone can correct me if I am wrong but even the likes of Arsenal managed to get more money for sleeve sponsorship and there were rumours (so possibly not true of course) that we want to find a sponsor who pays similar amount to Chevy for main kit sponsor which we signed like 6 years ago? To me it's a clear indication of decline of our commercial power. Our revenue goes up thanks to broadcasting deals but it goes up for all clubs in the league.
Hugely depends on when you are signing that deal and timing. You also have to take the economic situation at the time.

AneRu

I meant using share buybacks to boost EPS.

If we're discussing purely the footballing side - getting top 4 will ensure the stocks go up and this is not that far fetched idea in the next season or two.

Adidas deal is halfway through. If they don't offer us better package in 5 years time I can see some Asian company do, trying to strengthen their European market and paying premium.

There is also room for improving broadcasting rights even through MUTV, let alone CL and PL. There are also tours and improving the Asian/USA market even further.

We're doing ok commercially even being in the biggest slump since Fergie left. A title challenge can only propel our stock prices and if the Glazers can wait 5-10 years (can't see why they won't) they will be in much stronger position to sell, IMO.
All these earning will be diluted by increases in wage demands and transfer fees, as our commercial income grew so did the United tax on transfer fees. They are reluctant to implement the structural changes that would make recruitment, their biggest achilles heel so far, and a fan revolt could soon be on the way which would not only upset current sponsors but possibly scare off prospective ones. In 5 years from now, after Woodward is through with wrecking us who knows where we could be by then?

Enigma_87

You know who
It's very different deal (Aramco). Their debt and liabilities increased a lot lately. Expansion and balancing the sheets made sense and I think the market reacted well to that move. Our situation is very different though, purely on investment POV.

JPRouve

Scout
Again, I won't read too much in it. No one is going to pay them 3bn in straight cash. If that was the case we would've been sold to Saudis long time ago.
But that's beside the point United aren't that lucrative for a billionaire, that's one of the reason why it's unlikely that United will be purchased by the likes of Ratcliffe, outside of a country purchasing the club any other candidate will have for plan to increase the value of the club and make hundreds of millions in cash when they sell it, the rest could be anything but even 500m in cash is worth it. We are comparable to the LA Dodgers when McCourt sold them.

AneRu

Hugely depends on when you are signing that deal and timing. You also have to take the economic situation at the time.
Maybe last year the takeover was scuppered by the bad press that followed that journalist's murder. What is clear is that there is interest from the Saudis and that the Glazers face a huge and costly rebuild to get United to a point where they are attractive enough for sponsors to offer record deals. Poor results have consequences and the biggest of them is a fan revolt, the very fans that sponsors and partners would be targeting.

There is also the issue of whether the Glazer siblings have consensus that owning United is the best way forward for all of them, they have been some reports of some siblings wanting out and they certainly aren't going to accept selling their stakes on the market when the market price has collapsed. All these factors-
- the decline of the asset,
- the presence of a big offer and
- the lack of consensus amongst the Glazer heirs will contribute towards a decision to sell should they get a sizeable offer and reports say the Saudis are preparing one.

red thru&thru

I've read that no one will pay 3bn straight cash for United...MBA paid €400m plus for a painting and €500m for a yacht.

Saudis are known for their lavish spending, so I wouldn't put it past them paying straight cash. Either way, I doubt it would matter much.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Abramovich didn't buy Chelsea to make money, and I'm fairly sure he's spent a lot more than he's made from owning it.
He’s made a fortune, he bought it for 140 million quid. It was valued at 2 billion in May this year.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
World record fee for Beckham really?

Our recollections of that time are very different mate. I certainly don't remember any talk of a world record transfer at the time. The highest fee i remember Beckham linked to was around £35m to Lazio i think in 2002.

The world record at that time was £49m in 2001, that was only broke by Kaka's £50m transfer to Real in 2009. So sure as shit no one was paying fecking £70m for a 28-29 year old Beckham in 2003. Where are you getting these estimates from mate?

As stated the record at the time was £49m so £25m was around half, today the world record is £200m so £100m is around which is probably what Beckham would go for today. Especially in a transfer market where the likes of Lukaku goes for £70-80m and Coutiniho goes for £120m.

I'll leave it there though as i'm going off topic again.

Zidane and Figo both cost more than 60 million at the time. Given his profile, Beckham was in that category. That was the expectation.

Status
Not open for further replies.