Scam phone calls supposedly from Amazon

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Over the last few weeks I have been receiving automated phone calls to my landline saying that they are from Amazon and that my Amazon Prime account is or has ended.
Each time I hang up and I have reported the number to the Telephone Preference Service.
Each time it is a different number. A check on the Internet shows that this is a wide scale problem.
Just thought I would bring it up.

stepic

i was called up the other day and the guy said that he understood i had been involved in a car accident. but... i don't even have a car?! sorcery i tell you.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
That Indian bloke from Microsoft keeps phoning me saying I have a virus and wants to get rid of it for me.

He doesn't like it when I tell him I only have a MacBook.

0le

Sadly people do fall for these scams and yet when people do try and give warnings, its mocked. It is also one reason why when fraud does occur, people feel "ashamed" of coming forward and it may go unreported. I also note that this was also an issue during the TSB bank ICT fiasco, where in the aftermath, fraudsters tricked people into believing they were from the bank.

@Buster15, it might help to report it to Amazon too.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Sadly people do fall for these scams and yet when people do try and give warnings, its mocked. It is also one reason why when fraud does occur, people feel "ashamed" of coming forward and it may go unreported. I also note that this was also an issue during the TSB bank ICT fiasco, where in the aftermath, fraudsters tricked people into believing they were from the bank.

@Buster15, it might help to report it to Amazon too.
Thank you for this. I have contacted Amazon who are aware of it and say they are actively trying to shut it down.
There are a number of different aspects to this scam.
The main one I am aware of is that they tell you that your Amazon Prime account is or is about to end and they give a phone number to call to sort it out.
I have read of one which asks for bank details to renew the account.
Whichever, just ignore it and end the call immediately.

0le

Thank you for this. I have contacted Amazon who are aware of it and say they are actively trying to shut it down.
There are a number of different aspects to this scam.
The main one I am aware of is that they tell you that your Amazon Prime account is or is about to end and they give a phone number to call to sort it out.
I have read of one which asks for bank details to renew the account.
Whichever, just ignore it and end the call immediately.
Generally these types of fraud are all the same. They work on trying to scare the victim into believing something negative will happen i.e. getting a virus, losing money or losing an account. Under this fear, an individual may then act in a way they wouldn't normally have acted. I pretty much ignore any phone call now claiming to be from a business. If I know the company and the reason, I just ring back.

Just mess about with them until they give up.
There are some youtubers who do this, the end results are always quite funny when the fraudster realizes they've been had.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I had a weird one a few years ago where I had to explain to someone that it's pronounced deeveedee.

Honestly, some people. :rolleyes: