Schmeichel or Van der Sar

redspoony

A toughie.

Schmeichel was the best keeper in the world when he was at United, but VDS came in after a long list of dodgy custodians and really steadied the ship.

For that, I go for VDS...just!

Aaron

Schmeichel is the greatest goalkeeper ever in the history of football IMO.

Also, VDS plays behind a defense far stronger than anything Schmeichel had the luxury of.

Two great, great keepers but for me it's little contest.

Ixion

Van Der Sar is one of the best keepers of his generation, Schmeichel was one of the best of all time. Edwin is an incredible keeper but theres no comparison for me.

redspoony

Schmeichel is the greatest goalkeeper ever in the history of football IMO.

Also, VDS plays behind a defense far stronger than anything Schmeichel had the luxury of.

Two great, great keepers but for me it's little contest.
He does now, but when he joined United SAF put together a few iffy defences!

I think in terms of impact, VDS wins.

Treble

Schmeichel will be remembered as the better goalkeeper but VDS for me.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
This thread was done a couple of months ago.

Schmikes was quality, world class no doubt but his Hollywood saves have probably led to us remembering him better than he was. I'm not saying he was in any way shape or form a bad goalkeeper, but he was prone to the odd howler. For me Van Der Sar edges it on pure consistancy. If there's one attribute more important than any other for a Goalkeeper it is consistancy.

Aaron

They're for me arguably 1 and 2 of all time 'which ever way you rank them' VDS almost completely changed the idea of a keeper.
Did he though? I mean, we did have some jokes before him. If Ferguson was half competent in replacing Schmeichel and didn't pre-date Wenger by about a several years in being 'Shit at signing keepers' awards category, things may have been different.

I'm not knocking VDS who is an absolute world class keeper and has been beyond wonderful for us, but I don't see how the contrast with the clowns who went before is particularly relevant when making a direct comparison. Schmeichel didn't have to take over from Bozo the Clown, but it doesn't lessen his impact IMO.

Schmeichel was simply awesome. He ran that defense and, next to Cantona, was the catalyst on the field for the success we had in the 90s.

redspoony

They're for me arguably 1 and 2 of all time 'which ever way you rank them' VDS almost completely changed the idea of a keeper.
Yup, can anyone remember a better goalkeeper with the ball at his feet (although he did make a mistake against us in his Fulham days!)?

Rene Higuita doesn't count!

Ixion

The only thing I would really give Van Der Sar the edge with is his kicking and the ball at his feet. One-on-ones, shot stopping, coming for crosses, setting up counter attacks etc. all go to Schmeichel.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Schmeichel. I think he was better at one on ones, more intimidating, he kept the back four on their toes all the time. VDS is brilliant and both make the odd mistake (very rare) but VDS doesn't have the intimidation factor. Even on a one on one, you'd fancy Schmeichel

Aaron

Schmeichel OWNED the defense. He's the only keeper I've seen who would genuinely intimidate opposition players during one on one situations. He absolutely bossed the whole team from the back. The only goalkeeper I've never had a problem with as captain. For most it'd be an absurd thing to give a guy who cannot break out of his own area, but with Schmeichel, it made sense. He stood up for himself too. Rio likes to have a go at his keepers if he thinks they're under performing or didn't deal with a ball in the way they should have. Schmeichel would have got in there first and sent Rio flying with the sheer force of his incredibly loud gob.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
Imo Shmikes could pull out a marvelous save, i mean save unstopable shot but he also had fair share.of blunders (sunderland 95, 96 springs to my mind). vds is a Mr. consistency. He.cost us 1goal this season, probaly just two more over last 5 years. two fantastic.keepers.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
I hope to god it doesn't happen but Van Der Sar would only fully be appreciated it we were to have a shit run of keepers over the next 5 or 6 years.

Look at PIG yesterday for example, even with Ferdinand and Vidic infront of him, the defense just didn't look as organised.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
I honestly believe that Ferguson would pick Van Der Sar over Schmeichel.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
A toughie.

Schmeichel was the best keeper in the world when he was at United, but VDS came in after a long list of dodgy custodians and really steadied the ship.

For that, I go for VDS...just!
Schmeichel came in after a couple of decades of dodgy keepers and helped us win our first Premier League.

VdS is a great keeper and during his time with us, he's been one of the top keepers in the world. Schmeichel in his time was the best keeper in the world - not just for the spectacular saves, but for his organisation of the defence and his distribution.

Spoony

The People's President
Not even debatable. The Dane's the best keeper ever... I suspect there are a lot of very young posters in this thread.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Schmeichel came in after a couple of decades of dodgy keepers and helped us win our first Premier League.

VdS is a great keeper and during his time with us, he's been one of the top keepers in the world. Schmeichel in his time was the best keeper in the world - not just for the spectacular saves, but for his organisation of the defence and his distribution.
That's one aspect of Schmeichel's game that's going a little bit underappreciated in this thread. VDS is superb with the ball at his feet, but Schmeichel was no slouch in this department either. His throws were jawdropping too - he could set up a counter attack in the blink of an eye by launching it halfway up the pitch into a winger's path.

Its a huge compliment to VDS that he could replace a prime Schmeichel without substantially weakening a team, but Schmikes was better. Its closer than I would have ever guessed when we first signed VDS though.

sajeev

i would watch denmark play just to see schmeichel play(he really was that good)

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
I don't want to compare them because I was too young to see Schmeichel playing for United. I always can't understand those who do it, with Best and others from the past.

For me, van der Sar will be the best goalkeeper, but it doesn't matter. We should be happy we had Schmeichel and van der Sar in our team.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Schmeichel as a GK was the best.

VDS is close but as a person he's by far the better man but you can't pick a winning team based on who you like.

Scmeichel