Scott McTominay | Transfer discussion not performance discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMoore23

He is an example what is wrong with Utd. Too many players think they have it made, yet they are useless, but keep getting picked. This will hold us back for years, unless we are sold and the new owners put footballing people in charge.
That's why I was so angry about the Fred sale. Was he world class, No but he was a decent option and most importantly, he gave 100% in every single game. Ran his heart out for us.
That is the the type of player we need more of to set example. Too many prima donna's at this club and I'm sick of it. The club seems to know nothing of a players character before signing them these days.
That's something we were great at before under Fergie. Even if a signing wasn't top drawer, they still put a shift in every game and followed instructions.

gaffs

Both Rice and Caicedo are nowhere near that valuation. Nowhere near. McTominay is a player that is not worse than those two. So if they are valued that much, so should McTominay. The truth is that those players are worth like 1/3 of that sum. If even that. I'm still waiting for someone to explain how Rice and Caicedo quality is £100m +.
Still think McTominay is as good as Rice and Caicedo?

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Those comparisons with Rice are looking spot on aren't they?
The stuff of Lovecraftian nightmares, a straight path to insanity. Alongside the - mostly British - notion that a b2b midfielder is a big, tall lad who runs in a straight line and who offers something on the edge of both boxes (if the whole team adjusts to him) while being completely useless, both on and off the ball in that huge space in between the attack and the defence.

FerociousCorgis

what blows my mind is he actually does look over his shoulder real quick before getting the ball. So that means he sees rashford sitting there wide open, easy one time pass to release him and get an absolutely prime chance that rashford would be expected to score on. Instead he takes a touch, then takes an even worse touch to lose the ball. All before then getting left in the dust by the ref, resulting in what couldve been yet another easy cutback goal had bayern not screwed it up.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
There is no point in playing him over other youngsters. There is no doubt about his potential anymore and he is bang average footballer who is lucky to be playing at United.

90 + 5min

Without question. One or two videos wont change my mind. You can find a video of any player making misstakes and at same time you can find Internet world class players. It is easy.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
Man, looking at that list, what a poor selection compared to the likes of City, Real, Barca, Bayern even Chelsea :(

I would say not a single one is good enough for us be challenging at the top table again.
This.

Midfield is certainly an improvement on previous years but we used to have the best midfielders in the world at one point. That's where we need to be headed. Consistently putting in 8 or 9/10 performances week in, week out. Not "he runs about a fair bit".

neon_badger

He looks almost deliberately bad this season for us, maybe he knows something is in the pipeline in January and he's trying to avoid selection until then.

nau05194

These comments (made to the Scottish press after Scotland beat Cyprus) make it pretty clear that Scott was happy to leave United and go elsewhere. There was rumoured interest from numerous clubs (Roma, Bayern, Everton, Fulham, Newcastle, West Ham) which leaves only Manchester United as the stakeholder who stopped the move either because the their valuation wasn't met or they want Scott to stay at the club for whatever reason.

Six goals now in five appearances. You're now the joint top scorer in this Euro qualifying campaign. What's the secret behind the scoring success?

There's not really [a secret] to be fair. Just the manager (Clarke) and the faith that he has in me to push forwards and that was what I wanted this summer really, to play regular football and that wasn't really given to me so I have to accept that and obviously whenever I go and play for Scotland I have to really go and show myself and show that I'm capable of playing whenever I go back home and obviously I'm just enjoying myself playing for Scotland at the minute.
Scott McTominay

RuudTom83

hmmm "regular football wasn't given to me"

You should sack your management/agent then Scottie...because at least publicly only West Ham showed any interest in you and that was only after a failed Gallagher and while they were also bidding for JWP.

United were hardly batting bids away for your services all summer...nothing is "given" you have to "earn" a first team spot or a move.

But I'm sure all these players will find a way to blame the big bad united for their careers stalling. :rolleyes:

nau05194

hmmm "regular football wasn't given to me"

You should sack your management/agent then Scottie...because at least publicly only West Ham showed any interest in you and that was only after a failed Gallagher and while they were also bidding for JWP.

United were hardly batting bids away for your services all summer...nothing is "given" you have to "earn" a first team spot or a move.

But I'm sure all these players will find a way to blame the big bad united for their careers stalling. :rolleyes:
If two clubs can't agree a fee, then I don't see what the player can do.

Changing agents wouldn't necessarily make a difference if buyers aren't prepared to increase their offer.

It's also possible that conditions at the time (United having several midfield players injured around that time) could have affected the price and/or United's willingness to sell.

Last edited:

RuudTom83

You misunderstood my post @nau05194

My point was if only 1 club is after your services then maybe you are not as good as think you are and don't deserve to be "given" more game time.

I mentioned his agent because it's his job to get his client a move, if he came back to Scottie and said I can only get a half-arsed interest from West Ham, then he's not done a great job.

MasterDarcy

Scott McTominay has a striker's mentality. I've seen him many times playing for Scotland and his attacking off-the-ball movement is akin to Haaland's*

He's Scotland's best finisher. I'd actually say that he's United's best finisher (jury is out on Hojlund).

As far as the clip goes, from what i saw, when he came on he played an advanced role. Yes. He lost the ball and didn't track back. So what?

He wasn't the only United player on the park. Plus he lost in it the final third. It's not like he lost it in his own box.

*Before some bright spark chimes in. No. I'm not comparing McTominay to Haaland.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
McTominay is United's best finisher ... I've read it all now.

ShinjiNinja26

Scott McTominay has a striker's mentality. I've seen him many times playing for Scotland and his attacking off-the-ball movement is akin to Haaland's*

He's Scotland's best finisher. I'd actually say that he's United's best finisher (jury is out on Hojlund).

As far as the clip goes, from what i saw, when he came on he played an advanced role. Yes. He lost the ball and didn't track back. So what?

He wasn't the only United player on the park. Plus he lost in it the final third. It's not like he lost it in his own box.

*Before some bright spark chimes in. No. I'm not comparing McTominay to Haaland.
:lol: :lol:

Borussia Teeth

He was on for 10 minutes. 10 fecking minutes and he couldn't be bothered to run. I can't believe how much you're trying to defend this disgrace of a player.

nau05194

You misunderstood my post @nau05194

My point was if only 1 club is after your services then maybe you are not as good as think you are and don't deserve to be "given" more game time.

I mentioned his agent because it's his job to get his client a move, if he came back to Scottie and said I can only get a half-arsed interest from West Ham, then he's not done a great job.
Yes, that's fine - sorry if I misinterpreted what you're saying. Regardless - it's still all if's, but's and maybe's.

As fans we don't know the circumstances as to why no move happened and so I don't see a basis to start insinuating the agent or player side could and should have done more.

All we know is Scott was willing. We know West Ham had a bid rejected and that a move to Fulham was dependant on Bayern signing Palhinha. That's it.

Last edited:

MasterDarcy

He was on for 10 minutes. 10 fecking minutes and he couldn't be bothered to run. I can't believe how much you're trying to defend this disgrace of a player.
He was in the final 3rd.

Pellistri just stopped and stared at his laces and he was behind McTominay.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Yes. Instead of forming a cogent rebuttal just be insulting.

Thanks

We've scored 6 EPL goals shared by 6 players. Our top EPL scorer has 1.

"Ridicule is the tribute paid to the genius by the mediocrities." ~ "Oscar Wilde"
Have you been sniffing glue?

MasterDarcy

Without question. One or two videos wont change my mind. You can find a video of any player making misstakes and at same time you can find Internet world class players. It is easy.
Exactly this.

But don't let logic and facts and basic common sense get in thd way of a pitchfork and torch wielding mob.

During the weekend there will be hundreds of instances of players losing the ball and not putting on a Usain Bolt impression.

And very few of these instances will lead to goals. Especially with the player being lost in the final third.

Do folk want Scott to down tools to lower his valuation in January to get him out of the club. If he did that he'd get panned, it's no win territory for him.

Whatever he does, he'll get panned so that leads us neatly to scapegoat territory. He is a punching bag for a vocal minority.
Nailed it.

Last edited:

nau05194

Do folk want Scott to down tools to lower his valuation in January to get him out of the club. If he did that he'd get panned, it's no win territory for him.

Whatever he does, he'll get panned so that leads us neatly to scapegoat territory. He is a punching bag for a vocal minority whose negative emotions are borne out of entitlement.

It's one thing to say you don't rate him as a footballer, that's fine - but this is negative emotions being vented in a abusive way.

Last edited:

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.

Whatever he does, he'll get panned so that leads us neatly to scapegoat territory. He is a punching bag for a vocal minority.
He's also useful and mobile as one.

Paddymcc

What medication are you on?

Asking for a friend.

roseguy64

Regardless of whether one rates McTominay as a player or not, the effort he put in against Bayern wasn't good enough. He did press a few times and won the ball back once. But other than that he wasn't interested.

garelo

He still wants to leave and 30m was a fair price for him it was idiotic decision to reject it thus delaying our searching for new midfielder, i thought after Woodward has gone we'd be much wiser when it come to selling our players but nope, we are even worse (i cant see Woodward rejecting 30m for McT i really cant), and i dont know why some people cared so much about his international forms, it's irrelevant. Back in Fergie era our players tended to have "meh" performance for their national team even Rooney became shit for England after he joined us. I'd much rather see our players to have 9 stars rating performance against Burnley or Forest in PL than 9 stars performance against san marino or luxemburg.

Status
Not open for further replies.