Scott McTominay | Transfer discussion not performance discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He isn't. A McTominay+Eriksen midfield beat Arsenal at Old Trafford last season.

McTominay isn't good enough to start. But for all his weaknesses, he has enough strengths for his teammates know what they need to be doing to accommodate him, while simultaneously he can take the burden off them in other ways. For example, his passing is poor, but at least he sits back more often to take some positional responsibility off his midfield partner. Obviously, it's overall a downgrade, but only a big one if you focus solely on his passing.
McTominay is far too inconsistent to be able to rely on even as a backup. He tends to have about one month a season where he's actually quite good, and if he was at that level all the time he'd be fine as a backup (could even push for a starting spot depending on how everyone is playing). But he's not. In fact he's not even close. The rest of the time he is painfully average to downright poor at all the most important basics for what top teams want in the midfield.

Bwuk

McTominay is a box to box midfielder, he isn't a #6, his best work comes pressing the opposition higher up the park and being a physical presence.

For Scotland he's been playing far higher up the park, with McGregor/Gilmour deeping dictating play and it's obvious he's more comfortable there.

I'd of started him vs Arsenal and I think it was a mistake not too.

RuudTom83

McTom needs to be playing CB in a few of the training sessions...it could be his best chance of getting into the start eleven with all these injuries.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Imagine turning down £30m for him.

I presume it's actually due to some sort of homegrown rule rather than actually wanting him, otherwise it's absolutely crazy.

David De Gea

McTominay actually looked like was wearing clown shoes without studs when he came on. Pretty sure he managed to miss control then tackle himself before losing it from a decent position at one stage.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Didn't have a whole lot of criticisms towards most of the team today (Bruno aside who annoyed me more than most of the others, in terms of expecting more from them).... but fecking hell, McTominay is on for 10 minutes and has that lazy as feck track back? Nah you can't be doing that. Turning down 30mil for him was mental. Amrabat and Mount back in this weekend, Mainoo not far behind... McTominay won't be playing much.

I don't think he is a bad player, but for one whose main attribute is energy, he is really lazy at tracking back.

glasgow 21

I think he's one of the bad eggs.
No He is probably a fine lad and nice at a dinner party but just isn't a footballer no matter how many times he decides to look good in a scotland team. If it is what is looks and he can't be bothered then remove him now. Our season is over thankfully so time for a Stalin level clear out. Move on with the players who want to be here and run. Rashford will soon run out of players worst than him ( effort that is). We need a few nasty hard men in this team to throw their weight about, both on and off the pitch.

Last edited:

FerociousCorgis

What's crazy about that clip is how bayern should've had yet another cutback goal of they had just played it properly all due to Mctominay being fecking lapped pretty much by the ref. Lazy feck I'm pretty sure I can run faster than that

Robindinho

Deflating seeing him waiting to be subbed on.

The main thing he's meant to come on and provide (run/harass/close down etc) and he's still doing his lackadaisical jog routine... Can't stand him.

wolvored

He is an example what is wrong with Utd. Too many players think they have it made, yet they are useless, but keep getting picked. This will hold us back for years, unless we are sold and the new owners put footballing people in charge.

Matt851

Who made the decision to keep him. Eth clearly doesn't rate him and given the influence he has had on transfers to date you might have thought that would lead to us selling him

Mainoldo

Him for Paulinho in January. But we need new ownership for this to happen.

Just fed up of having players given minutes when they know the manager doesn’t rate them. You can see it in performance. I’ve been there.. but at the end of the day he was allowed to leave but he thinks he’s better than he is.

RedOrange

If all the other midfielders are fit, couldn't we just sell him without a replacement in January?

Bruno
Mount
Amrabat
Casemiro
Eriksen
Mainoo
Hannibal

For our usual 3 man midfield that seems like enough bodies, even if one or two of them are injured.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Not defending McTominay as I think he’s another not good enough bluffer, but maybe the tactic was not for him to be chasing around but told to stay higher up the pitch?

redNATION

If all the other midfielders are fit, couldn't we just sell him without a replacement in January?

Bruno
Mount
Amrabat
Casemiro
Eriksen
Mainoo
Hannibal

For our usual 3 man midfield that seems like enough bodies, even if one or two of them are injured.
Man, looking at that list, what a poor selection compared to the likes of City, Real, Barca, Bayern even Chelsea :(

I would say not a single one is good enough for us be challenging at the top table again.

Gordon Godot

Not defending McTominay as I think he’s another not good enough bluffer, but maybe the tactic was not for him to be chasing around but told to stay higher up the pitch?
Yes as we were so solid defensively we didnt need him. And its fine to lose the ball and then not try and recover.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Seemed like it, but was a stupid tactic as it pushes Bruno further back and out of his most effective position. He needs to be closer to the front players to be effective with his assisting.

Mmm-Qatarian

Honestly, with McTominay I don't think it's an attitude problem and it's more that he's just badly deficient at reading the game properly. I just don't think he anticipates danger well at all, which means he chases after lost causes and doesn't track runners that he should far too frequently.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I'm struggling to think of a tactic that instructs a midfielder being dispossessed by a centre back in that area of the pitch to just watch him sprint away and start a counter attack.

Conor

Honestly, with McTominay I don't think it's an attitude problem and it's more that he's just badly deficient at reading the game properly. I just don't think he anticipates danger well at all, which means he chases after lost causes and doesn't track runners that he should far too frequently.
This is it, he's simply not intelligent enough to play the game at a high level defensively, I doubt he's not arsed doing the work, he just doesn't know what to do.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I'm struggling to think of a tactic that instructs a midfielder being dispossessed by a centre back in that area of the pitch to just watch him sprint away and start a counter attack.
You’re thinking of a traditional midfielder. I’m thinking he was thrown on to make something happen around their box. We’ve seen this happen with other players in the past and not just under ETH

anyway just an idea, we will never know

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
You’re thinking of a traditional midfielder. I’m thinking he was thrown on to make something happen around their box. We’ve seen this happen with other players in the past and not just under ETH

anyway just an idea, we will never know
I suppose it makes a bit of sense he was thrown on to add some height up top, but even then, a bit of awareness of his surroundings surely dictates he chases that down?

Borussia Teeth

Bruno
Mount
Amrabat
Casemiro
Eriksen
Mainoo
Hannibal

I'm on board with selling him in Jan without a replacement. He was Casemiro's back up last season; we have Amrabat for that now. I would rather see Hannibal and Mainoo get chances than McTominay. It seems ten Hag rates Bruno, Eriksen and Mount ahead of him in the 8/10 positions so he really is pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.