Scott McTominay | Transfer discussion not performance discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadMike

Unless we have a replacement lined up, not until the summer. In the summer it's best for both parties. He'll have a decent career somewhere else.
Basically this. I feel selling him for +50m in the summer and getting someone like Rabiot for free would add more quality depth and help finance a buy for a striker.

M Bison

Supports
York City
He is pretty bad. Now entering his prime years and having been exposed to a decent level with lots of playing time, he should have nailed down his core ability. But he still lacks in a lot of ways to the point that Scotland play him as a CB. If that isnt a red flag for “limited technical ability” then I don’t know what else I can tell anyone. He is a Palace level player at best.
If he's Palace level, i'm confused as to why Newcastle, a top 4 standard team, would be interested in him.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
One of the things which i will always remember as best LVG's quote is when he talked about squad depth. He said that he needs 15,16 players and the rest should be kids with high potential. Because if you have 2 highly rated options for every position then when you will use kids? Never.

Why keep 5th midfielder option who doesn't have future in this club? Sell him and promote Iqbal and Mainoo. In worst case scenario (if offer is 20+) we can always invest part of that money on midfielder who suits our system.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I'm open to selling him. Frees up space and minutes to promote one of the younger Academy players.

Robbie Boy

I wouldn't be up for selling him in January, to be honest, as we have no one ready to step-up and it will just weaken our squad. I have no issue with him leaving in the summer, when a replacement can be sourced, though.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
One of the things which i will always remember as best LVG's quote is when he talked about squad depth. He said that he needs 15,16 players and the rest should be kids with high potential. Because if you have 2 highly rated options for every position then when you will use kids? Never.

Why keep 5th midfielder option who doesn't have future in this club? Sell him and promote Iqbal and Mainoo. In worst case scenario (if offer is 20+) we can always invest part of that money on midfielder who suits our system.
It's not quite that simple unfortunately. One injury/suspension to Casemiro and we are reliant on McTominay. It would be unfair to play Iqbal against Arsenal, for example.

NLunited

He should be replaced but that won’t happen now I don’t think.

onemanarmy

We have Eriksen, Bruno, Casemiro and Fred, with Lissandro able to play there, Iqbal knocking on the door... We'd be fine I think. If a decent offer comes in, sell!

BazzaBear

Definately Banned
Scotland play him as a CB. If that isnt a red flag for “limited technical ability” then I don’t know what else I can tell anyone.
This is such a disingenuous claim, and I see it all the time on here.

Why did EtH play Shaw as a CB in a few games recently? Was it because he decided he was shite as a FB? Carrick and Keane have played CB for United in the past. That must be a red flag for "limited technical ability" right? Apparently there's no other possible reason?

No. So the simple unadorned fact that McTominay was played as a CB means nothing of the sort unless you can bring some other consideration about the reasoning behind that decision to the table.

Note: I'm not arguing he's great. But that what you have cited proves nothing at all except that Scotland don't have enough decent CBs.

IRN-BRUno

When they were first linked a couple of weeks ago it was said we didn't want to sell, it's even less likely now we know that Donny will be missing the rest of the season.

If he wants the move then maybe it's different but with the schedule we have it's clear he's going to see plenty of minutes.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
This is such a disingenuous claim, and I see it all the time on here.

Why did EtH play Shaw as a CB in a few games recently? Was it because he decided he was shite as a FB? Carrick and Keane have played CB for United in the past. That must be a red flag for "limited technical ability" right? Apparently there's no other possible reason?

No. So the simple unadorned fact that McTominay was played as a CB means nothing of the sort unless you can bring some other consideration about the reasoning behind that decision to the table.

Note: I'm not arguing he's great. But that what you have cited proves nothing at all except that Scotland don't have enough decent CBs.
There’s a difference between what the manager is asking for when asking players to play in a different position.

Shaw was clearly picked because he could help pass the ball out from defense whereas Scott is pretty much picked just because he’s big.

Scott being technically limited is a fact, in fact it’s hilarious that people keep playing him in more defensive roles just because of his height and size when in reality he can’t tackle without fouling. The only thing above average stuff he has in his technical ability is probably his shooting.

If he wants to continue playing in the premier league, he better goes to one that allows him to play further upfront or he’s going to find himself in the championship in a few years.

Gavinb33

With Donny out selling Mctominay will give us 3 senior central midfielders and selling him to Newcastle will give a direct rival another player to aid their push for the top 4 this makes no sense.

If we are to sing another midfielder in the summer i have no qualms about us letting him go then for a decent price.

Zlatattack

Basically this. I feel selling him for +50m in the summer and getting someone like Rabiot for free would add more quality depth and help finance a buy for a striker.
Yeah, i just worry about Rabiots mums ego. I suspect the player isn't as bad as his mother if the media is to be believed. The principle is sound though.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He’s not. He has about 5 good games a season and is a passenger for the rest of the season.
This is based on pre-ETH era. He did have a good start to the season. I am perfectly fine with this if we have a replacement, but I don't think we will get much money for Scott.

Judas

Open to offers
Why though? We don't rely on him particularly. He is basically just a body in the squad as it stands.
A body we probably need all things considered. We've got a lot of games coming up. With injuries, suspensions, a body like his could be invaluable. Even if its just to close out games when we've got them won.

We're not doing any more incomings this window by the looks of it, so I wouldn't be rushing out someone like him.

Alvaro Maestre

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Why though? We don't rely on him particularly. He is basically just a body in the squad as it stands.
We are still playing in 4 different competitions with a chance of trophy, we need him as a backup. In the summer we can replace him not now.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He's clearly good enough to be a starter at a Premier League club, so I can definitely see him wanting to move on instead of being our 4th(?) choice midfielder.

Apokalips

We should be able to fetch a good high price based on him being British and having an absurd amount of games for Manchester United for a player of his quality. Other clubs buy players of his standard with less high level experience for good prices. He would likely be a captain candidate at a club in the 6th-15th range due to his CL experience etc. Guys like O'Shea, Phil Neville, etc. always go on to be leaders at smaller clubs because of their higher level experience.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
A body we probably need all things considered. We've got a lot of games coming up. With injuries, suspensions, a body like his could be invaluable. Even if its just to close out games when we've got them won.

We're not doing any more incomings this window by the looks of it, so I wouldn't be rushing out someone like him.
We are still playing in 4 different competitions with a chance of trophy, we need him as a backup. In the summer we can replace him not now.
Selling him would likely mean we could replace him. I don't think there's anyone in the academy that could take his minutes currently, but I'm pretty sure there are players available that could replace him, with more scope for improvement.

Kag

I don't think it's about them being better than McTominay but being a better fit for the team. None of those are DM's in the Casemiero mould which is what we should be going for if we do end up selling Scotty. No point selling him and not getting someone who would fit the squad. We already have Fred as a back up for the Eriksen spot.

We already have 2 players on loan and I don't think we are allowed to register any more.
You’re allowed four. Two from the Premier League.

Judas

Open to offers
Selling him would likely mean we could replace him. I don't think there's anyone in the academy that could take his minutes currently, but I'm pretty sure there are players available that could replace him, with more scope for improvement.
Yes of course, in the summer. We're not going to bring in a worthy replacement in this window, so why sell him now? There will be offers in the summer of the same value. It's just not realistic, it's not how we tend to operate. Chances are far more likely we'd sell him for cheap and then be a man down, if we were to get rid this window.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Yes of course, in the summer. We're not going to bring in a worthy replacement in this window, so why sell him now? There will be offers in the summer of the same value. It's just not realistic, it's not how we tend to operate. Chances are far more likely we'd sell him for cheap and then be a man down, if we were to get rid this window.
This is the only time there has ever really been a market for him. In the summer, there are tonnes more players available that you'd rather invest in and the most likely outcome of the rest of the season is that he hardly plays. I don't see why anyone would be back in for him in the summer, to be honest.

Judas

Open to offers
This is the only time there has ever really been a market for him. In the summer, there are tonnes more players available that you'd rather invest in and the most likely outcome of the rest of the season is that he hardly plays. I don't see why anyone would be back in for him in the summer, to be honest.
If people are interested in average players like Garner, selling McTominay won’t be difficult.

redshaw

I wouldn't be against it, he's good enough for first team football in the PL but I'm not sure if he'll get that at Newcastle or how long he'd retain it. I can see him falling down to their backup instead of ours.

We need high quality midfielders when replacing Case Eriksen and Scott can't make the grade.

El Zoido

If people are interested in average players like Garner, selling McTominay won’t be difficult.
I completely forgot Garner existed. Has he even played for Everton? I can’t recall even seeing him in their shirt. Is he injured?

Trex

So Ole played Scott so much he believes he's too good for the united bench. A bit surprised going by the report he is willing to jump ship, its not like he's surplus to requirement.

Hughes35

Can we try McTominay as CB before we sell him? He's a versatile player, unless there's a good offer I hope he stays.
Why would we try him as a CB when we have Varane, Martinez, Shaw, Maguire & Lindelof?

I like Mctom, he has a good attitude and work ethic. He's not top level though. If we could get good money for him, I'd happily take it and put it towards a top CM or Tielemans + any leftover cash going in the kitty for a striker.

SoCross

Ah, I get it. By "world" you meant FM or FIFA. Simple misunderstanding.
No, by world he meant the real world where Newcastle wanted 50 million for Sean Longstaff three summers or so ago.

Can get Longstaff for much cheaper on FM or Fifa!

LuessiT

why we weaken ourselves and strengthen our opponents in a top 4 race? and we could even be in a title race. think this would be really short sighted.
Isn’t it the opposite? It’s really short sighted to not take the money now for an improbable title push with a player that is hardly instrumental for that title run. If we can get good money now while having a cheap replacement in line it gives us more wiggle room in the summer to truly address the long term needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.