Scott McTominay | Transfer discussion not performance discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Isn’t it the opposite? It’s really short sighted to not take the money now for an improbable title push with a player that is hardly instrumental for that title run. If we can get good money now while having a cheap replacement in line it gives us more wiggle room in the summer to truly address the long term needs.
Exactly my thinking.

romufc

Isn’t it the opposite? It’s really short sighted to not take the money now for an improbable title push with a player that is hardly instrumental for that title run. If we can get good money now while having a cheap replacement in line it gives us more wiggle room in the summer to truly address the long term needs.
It depends on what you mean by good money? I would say anything over £30m for him is good money. I dont see us signing another midfielder for £30m though.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Yup. We may never get another opportunity to get decent money for him.

AneRu

We have Eriksen, Bruno, Casemiro and Fred, with Lissandro able to play there, Iqbal knocking on the door... We'd be fine I think. If a decent offer comes in, sell!
True if Casemiro is out I think Licha would be a more effective deputy than Scott. We might never get another chance to get so much money for him so I hope we cash in.

Crashoutcassius

I mean short sighted in that mctominay and 5-6 other players makes fans angry for whatever reason but we may regret it in a couple of months time.

In the longer run it is hard to assess which is a bigger impact, a few extra million we might get now vs summer vs the chance we lose out on top 4 if we get a single injury to one of our 3 remaining centre mids.

again if you assume we can replace him when you say we have a cheap replacement in line that takes away the issue. i wouldn't assume that

Bobade

No, by world he meant the real world where Newcastle wanted 50 million for Sean Longstaff three summers or so ago.

Can get Longstaff for much cheaper on FM or Fifa!
That's like when they say they're selling bottles of Prime on ebay for £500 quid. Yes, they might be listing them at that, but no one's buying them. We can offer him at £50m all we like, doesnt mean anyone in the real world is gonna pay it.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
Was against this initially but after some thought it's a good move for everyone. My only lingering concern is that we are on such a good run right now, do we want to start shuffling the deck? Having said that, if Scott really wants to go, it's best to let him go for the same reason.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Between Maguire, Lindelof and McTominay who all have had their role reduced, McTominay would be the last one I want to see leave.

r0663664

Worships Man City
If there is a good offer, sell!!!. McTominay is average player so we use time to time when there is an injury or suspension. I think he going will gives academy players more opportunity. 100% sell.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
In a world where average players are now being quoted at 100m, why can’t we get 50m
I don’t think anyone considers McTominay a top talent. We were offering about £65m for De Jong last summer and paid £70m for Casemiro, I doubt you’d be happy with a £20m discount to get McTominay instead.

Grande

Between Maguire, Lindelof and McTominay who all have had their role reduced, McTominay would be the last one I want to see leave.
Scott McTominay seems to me to be a player that both Mourinho, Solskjær, Rangnik and Ten Hag has turned to quite early in their regimes when they have wanted a pace setter for attitude in the team. That indicates to me his mentality is useful to the squad. At the same time, he seems the least suited to a Ten Hag central mid from our four CMs so if we bring someone in, it’s not unlikely or unfair that he will be let go. I’ll never want him gone, though, he’s earned my respect.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Scott McTominay seems to me to be a player that both Mourinho, Solskjær, Rangnik and Ten Hag has turned to quite early in their regimes when they have wanted a pace setter for attitude in the team. That indicates to me his mentality is useful to the squad. At the same time, he seems the least suited to a Ten Hag central mid from our four CMs so if we bring someone in, it’s not unlikely or unfair that he will be let go. I’ll never want him gone, though, he’s earned my respect.
Most fans want him gone because he's not quite good enough, for every good game he has there's 4 or 5 that aren't, he's had his chance and hasn't done enough to warrant being kept

BlueHaze

In a world where average players are now being quoted at 100m, why can’t we get 50m
Quite a few factors, mainly because no one would ever pay that for McTominay, secondly we get shafted all the time, I can't remember the last time we sold someone for a huge fee. Only one on my mind is Lukaku, if you want to call that a huge fee, I don't even think we made back what we spent on him!!

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Quite a few factors, mainly because no one would ever pay that for McTominay, secondly we get shafted all the time, I can't remember the last time we sold someone for a huge fee. Only one on my mind is Lukaku, if you want to call that a huge fee, I don't even think we made back what we spent on him!!
25 million is about what we could expect for him, anymore we should snatch their hand off before they see sense and change their mind!

Sauxees Moi Hui

If we can get a similar-quality replacement (either via a transfer or through promoting a young player), by all means flog him and forget he ever existed.

With fixtures piling up in multiple competitions, we WILL need to rotate heavily in the coming months. If we sell him and fail to adequately replace him, tired legs might result in us missing out on top 4 and CL money. If that happened, I think we might be worse off financially than if we had just kept him until the summer and flogged him somewhere for 10M.

NoPace

If we can get a similar-quality replacement (either via a transfer or through promoting a young player), by all means flog him and forget he ever existed.
There definitely are. Zakaria moved to Juve for 10M and is on loan and is a very similar player (big body, moves well, can carry it at times but passing keeps him from being a starting DM for a top 6 team). His Swiss teammate Sow moved for the same amount and played every minute as his team made the CL knockouts. Every team needs a solid DM, so most mid-table teams have one, and with the Covid financial issues in non-English leagues, it should be possible to grab a decent 25 year old one ready to play now for half the fee McTominay brings in to do a job for 4 months. Scotland aren't much better or worse when McTominay is at DM, and his main competition is a solid Celtic player in McGregor, which is basically the definition of a 5 or 6M type market option.

But if we did the move this week, I don't know how we'd plug the hole if Ten Hag wants to wait again and see if we can just sign De Jong to be our #8 and also backup #6, with Eriksen as the 4th man getting a ton of games and us always having a quality midfielder to bring off the bench (Bruno could start getting more rest too). It feels easier to get a #9 on loan because if they aren't first choice, they're generally unhappy and their team has no use for them. Finding a backup #6, unless Barca will send us Kessie on loan, might be tougher.

Also worth noting that if say the Europa League or FA Cup final or a single match to finish top 4 or win the title was tomorrow and Casemiro was suspended, I think the majority of us (while trusting Ten Hag over our own opinions) would be hoping to see Lisandro at DM and Shaw at LCB and Malacia at LB when the team sheet came out.

Last edited:

Strelok

25 million is about what we could expect for him, anymore we should snatch their hand off before they see sense and change their mind!
If 25m I'd keep him. Other teams can buy a young decent DM for 10 - 15m but we gonna have to pay like 30m at least. Anytime we're linked with a player the price goes through the roof. With the risk of that young DM can't adapt to the prem or just being shit. McT is not shit plus he's homegrown and can play many positions.

Himannv

In a situation where Casemiro picks up an injury, we would need him I reckon. He has value as a squad option so I don’t see us selling him to a top 4 rival unless we have a replacement in mind (which I don’t think we have).

surf

Could see it being possible in summer but not this month unless ETH has a suitable replacement lined up. Midfield is thin already with Beek out and Hannibal on loan.

OmarUnited4ever

I think because we are the willing sellers in this case, if we were the reluctant sellers, then we can quote silly money to ward off interest..

Ten Hag has a preferred midfield in Bruno, Cas & Eriksen, with Fred preferred to start or sub-in ahead of McTominay, it is obvious that we would sell if we get a decent offer, anything between 20M and 30M should be enough probably.

Of course in the past we were quoted silly money when clubs (reluctant sellers) knew of our desperation, Newcastle wanted 50M for Longstaff (if the interest and query were true), most of the time we also overpay (see Antony) due to our desperation and inability to walkaway like City does sometimes (they walked away from Cucurella's deal once Brighton demanded double what City would offer).

lex talionis

I would ordinarily be opposed to selling McTominay right now given ow thin our squad is, but he’s been dire this season and if there really is buyer, but the fukking hand off.then see what magic we can pull off.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Personally think this is false news.

The chances of Mctominay crying about being a squad option for the team he was born for doesn’t seem to be realistic.

bringbackbebe

With McTominay, Elanga and Henderson gone, we're going to be left with only Garnacho, Mainoo, Williams & Rashford (contract expiring next year) from our Academy in the squad. I'd rather we get rid of Elanga, Henderson, Maguire, Lindelof, DVB over Mctominay but if they come up with a 50m+ offer, we should take it.

Given Newcastle are linked to him, are Chelsea making a bid for him as well?

The chances of Mctominay crying about being a squad option for the team he was born for doesn’t seem to be realistic.
Lingard? Henderson? but yeah - McTominay is not of the same mould.

jeepers

For those who want Rabiot, he’ll destroy our wage structure at a point where it seems we are looking to control and go tighter on wages, which is excellent, so HELL NO huge pass on Rabiot unless we can get him on decent wages, which is highly unlikely.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
With McTominay, Elanga and Henderson gone, we're going to be left with only Garnacho, Mainoo, Williams & Rashford (contract expiring next year) from our Academy in the squad. I'd rather we get rid of Elanga, Henderson, Maguire, Lindelof, DVB over Mctominay but if they come up with a 50m+ offer, we should take it.

Given Newcastle are linked to him, are Chelsea making a bid for him as well?

Lingard? Henderson? but yeah - McTominay is not of the same mould.
Henderson did cry for it but that was partially because he was loaned out of the club a lot of times anyway, to the point he didn’t give a crap about being a United player unless he was no 1.

Lingard always talks about how he wanted to stay at United and how he feels let down for being forced to go/move out the club.

All I’m saying is that I don’t believe Mctominay being this unhappy guy for playing a bit part role for Manchester United. He has always seemed happy and energetic when playing for us.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I like him as a squad player. Would rather him than having to buy another average midfielder as a backup who will cost similar or even more.

The Urban Goose

I like him as a squad player. Would rather him than having to buy another average midfielder as a backup who will cost similar or even more.
Agreed. I've never understood the clamour to get rid of useful home-grown squad players because "they're not good enough for the first XI", only to have to replace them with bought-in equally limited squad players with no loyalty to the club. We can't have a squad of 25 "world class" players, every squad needs it's back-up/rotation players.

The only reason to let McT go is if we have a youth player ready to take his place.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I completely forgot Garner existed. Has he even played for Everton? I can’t recall even seeing him in their shirt. Is he injured?
Yeah, he’s been injured unfortunately. Back in training now.

Zen86

I don't see why there would be a rush to get him out the door. He's a decent squad player to have and our main CMs are in their 30s.

SoCross

That's like when they say they're selling bottles of Prime on ebay for £500 quid. Yes, they might be listing them at that, but no one's buying them. We can offer him at £50m all we like, doesnt mean anyone in the real world is gonna pay it.
It happened in the real world though, not on FIFA or FM :)

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

He's going to be 27 next season in December. At that age, he might want a new challenge that can give him starting XI spot in top level.

JanK

Supports
Napoli
I'd say the following:

If he is happy with his game time here, then let him stay. He is okay as a bench option.
If he wants more game time and might become frustrated and messing up the team chemistry, then sure - sell him.

Status
Not open for further replies.