Scott McTominay | Transfer discussion not performance discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

padzilla

Hipster
I hate West Ham but really hope it works out for Maguire there as he's suffered a ludicrous amount of abuse from his own supporters.

worldinmotion66

If they’re buying these two, they really need to get ward prowse over the line too. The set piece threat would be off the scale.

I think it’s something that we’ve got to consider defensively too. Varane is the only defender we have that has physical presence in our box if Maguire leaves, Casemiro is good in the air too. But beyond that we’re pretty weak comparatively speaking.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
This is a dream scenario. We cash in on two players not good enough. Both would be really good signings for West Ham.

I’m not massively convinced McT is a huge downgrade on Rice to be honest, although admittedly I’ve seen Rice run games in a way McT probably isn’t even capable.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
This is a dream scenario. We cash in on two players not good enough. Both would be really good signings for West Ham.

I’m not massively convinced McT is a huge downgrade on Rice to be honest, although admittedly I’ve seen Rice run games in a way McT probably isn’t even capable.
In Moyes side its probably like going from 8 to 7.5.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I think both will be a success at West Ham if a deal does go through. Think Mctom, if given the license, could get into double figures as he's a accomplished finisher,tbf.

El Zoido

And rightfully. But I wish him the best at WHU.
Not really. He shouldn’t get abuse just because he’s crap. He’s been professional throughout and despite some delusions of grandeur he’s done nothing wrong in terms of his conduct and behaviour.

MegadrivePerson

West ham have got 105m for Rice and qualified for Europe. They are trying to low ball other teams for their players. United should keep increasing the price as the end of the window gets closer.
They wasted loads of money last season though on the likes of Scamacca and Aguerd so the big fee for Declan Rice is a bit misleading. West Ham don't actually have much to spend this summer.

GlasgowCeltic

I think both will be a success at West Ham if a deal does go through. Think Mctom, if given the license, could get into double figures as he's a accomplished finisher,tbf.
chasing JWP and Paqueta already being there suggests Moyes wants to dump him straight into Rices role

Borussia Teeth

Would be more sceptical if West Ham weren''t currently in such a minor crisis with fractures between footballing exec and Moyes. A reduced price deal (getting players valued together closer to 70m for 55m or something) to give moyes his british core whilst also leaving a few million for whatever hipster signing the DOF wants to bring in, and also freeing up funds for Amrabat/clawing back some of the Hojlund expenditure, would work for both parties. WH are desperate enough also to start doing pre-emptive medicals too...
I would be very happy with £55m but a lot posters will cry.

STaphouse

Supports
Reading
They wasted loads of money last season though on the likes of Scamacca and Aguerd so the big fee for Declan Rice is a bit misleading. West Ham don't actually have much to spend this summer.
Aguerd wasn't a waste of money, he's mint.

redflash

I'm really interested to see what we manage to do with offloading players.

IMO, we should be looking at 70-80m for the pair. Anything less would be an "L" on our part.

Both starting internationals in peak years in terms of professional performance.

I'd value maguire at 50m and McSauce at 30m.

Anything lower than 45 /25 and we've had our pants down.

Something which has happened far too often in the past.

greater wall

Don't care. Either pay up or move on. There are other teams interested in both players.

padzilla

Hipster
It says a lot that some of our supporters feel it's okay to mock and boo one of our players because they are struggling with form. So much for getting behind the lads.

bringbackbebe

If they’re buying these two, they really need to get ward prowse over the line too. The set piece threat would be off the scale.

I think it’s something that we’ve got to consider defensively too. Varane is the only defender we have that has physical presence in our box if Maguire leaves, Casemiro is good in the air too. But beyond that we’re pretty weak comparatively speaking.
We went without scoring from a set piece for an awful long time with these two starting for us.

mctrials23

I hate West Ham but really hope it works out for Maguire there as he's suffered a ludicrous amount of abuse from his own supporters.
I mean he did have the audacity to charge us £80m and then put a gun to our head over his wages. Been a trouble maker since day one as well hasn't he.

Both McTominay and Maguire have been model servants to the club and anything commenting on anything beyond their quality for United should be ashamed. Both are good players, just not at the level United need or don't fit the way we play.

I very much wish them all the best, especially McTominay.

worldinmotion66

IMO, we should be looking at 70-80m for the pair. Anything less would be an "L" on our part.

Both starting internationals in peak years in terms of professional performance.

The problem is you need to consider wages for the total outlay on a transfer. Maguire is on over £5m a year which adds at least £20m to the buying club’s expenditure.

You’re valuing Maguire at £70m+ for four years of service at West Ham, with very little sell on value when he nears the end of his contract. I don’t think that’s realistic given his club form over the last two seasons.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Not really. He shouldn’t get abuse just because he’s crap. He’s been professional throughout and despite some delusions of grandeur he’s done nothing wrong in terms of his conduct and behaviour.
Agreed!

Nogho

They are two proven premiership players with loads of experience and both are cemented in their national teams. On paper they are really good players (Not on ETH team sheet though) and with the transfer fees mentioned, bargains for the buying club.

Scott with over 200 games in PL/Europe at 26 years of age.

Maguire with over 250 at age 30.

That is a lot of experience for a team like West Ham who need British players who have played in Europe and PL.

I can’t see this being a bad deal for anyone. More of a win win scenario.

Abraxas

50 million for Harry Maguire? That's absolutely bonkers. It's okay for a club to start with a negotiating position but for you to think a 30 year old centre back that has no club form is actually worth 50 million quid is staggering. Have we been watching the same player?

He's a decent CB but he's nowhere near our level and you're valuing him like he is. The problem being that naturally any interested party is not at our level because that's where Harry Maguire plainly is in his career and you're asking them to invest 50 million with no prospect of any return on that capital and to maintain something close to his Man United wages. This is a position that simply won't work, it's not to do with having pants pulled down.

EricEricDjembaDjemba

In 2021 United signed Varane, who at 28 was 2 years younger than Maguire is now, had won 4 Champions Leagues and 3 La Ligas, was a starting international, and had a much, much better public perception regarding playing skill than Maguire does currently, for £34 million.

Maguire will not command a fee close to £45 million.

Cantonagotmehere

I mean he did have the audacity to charge us £80m and then put a gun to our head over his wages. Been a trouble maker since day one as well hasn't he.

Both McTominay and Maguire have been model servants to the club and anything commenting on anything beyond their quality for United should be ashamed. Both are good players, just not at the level United need or don't fit the way we play.

I very much wish them all the best, especially McTominay.
Right on, mate.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
As in? Pocketing millions and making blunders every time he was played?

the_cliff

I agree but I'd say it's probably the opposite in terms of price.

Maguire is probably worth around 30 atm and Mctominay 40-50, especially when you take age, wages and past 2 seasons performances into perspective.

I think Mctominay in particular will be a huge hit at West Ham, he's very underrated by our fans and wouldn't be surprised if he hits the double digits in goals next season for West Ham, he's 100x the player Soucek is.

captaincantona

Not really sure about issues with what we should or should not get for these guys.

Both are looking at minor minor roles next season unless we have serious injury problems at centre back and midfield. They would also be a significant downgrade on the injured players were that to happen. In that regard, we should be getting rid and certainly in Maguires case getting his wages off the books.

even If we got €50million for both, it’s excellent business as opposed to hanging on to an ever depreciating asset that provides zero on hand value.

Amrabat and Evans are basically cheaper upgrades. They lower the wage bill and would allow for player like Mainoo, Gore, Hannibal to be integrated or a young CB to be brought in and slowly introduced. That’s good structure. That’s good planning.

OverratedOpinion

As in? Pocketing millions and making blunders every time he was played?
As in showing up to every thing ever asked of by the club on time, always being in tremendous physical condition, always putting in a great deal of effort when given opportunities, always speaking well of the club.

Is it unprofessional for him to accept the salary that the club offered him?

It is not his fault that he is not a particularly good player.

Status
Not open for further replies.