Scott McTominay | Transfer discussion not performance discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

sugar_kane

Would much rather keep Fred out of the two and that’s before we even get into the fact that we could get about 30m more for McTominay…

Fred occasionally is insanely bad but often is useful for his work rate and occasionally absolutely brilliant.

Scott has had a few stand out games but is almost always below average.

Redstain

Would much rather keep Fred out of the two and that’s before we even get into the fact that we could get about 30m more for McTominay…

Fred occasionally is insanely bad but often is useful for his work rate and occasionally absolutely brilliant.

I've seen too many games even under previous management where Scott has very visibly shied away from receiving possession. I think for a professional footballer that is an absolute disgrace in all honesty. For all Fred's poor touches, misplaced passing and terrible awareness on the half turn, can't really fault his mentality. He's certainly the more valuable to the team in my opinion.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I've seen too many games even under previous management where Scott has very visibly shied away from receiving possession. I think for a professional footballer that is an absolute disgrace in all honesty. For all Fred's poor touches, misplaced passing and terrible awareness on the half turn, can't really fault his mentality. He's certainly the more valuable to the team in my opinion.

Plastic Evra

It's odd too when you think England and Scotland in particular are both doing better internationally in recent years than they have for a long long time.
I think one real issue with the idea of a "British core" is that it might be an expensive proposition given how English players often seem overvalued on the domestic market. You're facing stiffer competition to acquire them with top PL sides likely to join the fray of buyers, as well. Also true at the Academy / Prospect level. Exactly the opposite of what a club like West Ham would want at the moment.

Of course scouting and buying foreign players is not easy either but you have a better chance at making and good deal, finding players that will contribute at the expected level and help balancing books on resale.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Why are people pretending British = bad? Classic Caf nonsense?
Who does? Kane, Mount, Rashy, Shaw, Trent, Grealish, Walker, Trips are just a few who are very very highly rated here. And i would add even loved or liked (whatever would be right word). Despite playing for rivals i see only praise for Jack, Walker and lots of other Brit players.

Siorac

Who does? Kane, Mount, Rashy, Shaw, Trent, Grealish, Walker, Trips are just a few who are very very highly rated here. And i would add even loved or liked (whatever would be right word). Despite playing for rivals i see only praise for Jack, Walker and lots of other Brit players.
Yeah, seriously, half the Caf still has a massive raging hard-on for Grealish even though he's playing for City, the Kane thread is a mesmerising exercise in wishful thinking, and Bellingham was drooled over by hordes of posters. Even Ivan Toney has a substantial number of fans.

The idea of some pervasive anti-British bias on the Caf is nonsense.

(though I don't think Alexander-Arnold is rated that highly anymore but that's mostly because he spent the last season getting torn a new one by any halfway competent left-sided attacker.)

DSG

I always thought of McTominay as a poor man’s Darren Fletcher. I love that kid when he turns up with big goals — he tends to do so in big games. With him and Fred in a pairing, they are both kind of a disaster against good teams. Both of their weaknesses are mitigated when paired with a great ball mover / distributor like Casemiro or Eriksen. Fred is legitimately excellent in the high press and has a decent through ball. Scotty is better at getting forward in the box and better aerially. Neither one is completely useless as a squad player. I think it’s important to move one on. Scotty may have more value in the market (does he qualify as a England roster spot?), and Fred is an excellent late game sub to provide a high press.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Yeah, seriously, half the Caf still has a massive raging hard-on for Grealish even though he's playing for City, the Kane thread is a mesmerising exercise in wishful thinking, and Bellingham was drooled over by hordes of posters. Even Ivan Toney has a substantial number of fans.

(though I don't think Alexander-Arnold is rated that highly anymore but that's mostly because he spent the last season getting torn a new one by any halfway competent left-sided attacker.)
Dream summer scenario for 99% of Caf was; Kane, Rice and Jude. Toney was just behind Kane and Osimhen as favoured striker option. Nobody said a word against Mount's quality (is he right player for system was the only issue).
It is and always will be just about quality.

DSG

Didn’t TAA experience a renaissance as a pinched in midfielder after Klopp’s adjustments mid season? He delivers an incredible ball into the box. The gap between him and AWB and Dalot is pretty significant from a buildup / attacking point of view.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Didn’t TAA experience a renaissance as a pinched in midfielder after Klopp’s adjustments mid season? He delivers an incredible ball into the box. The gap between him and AWB and Dalot is pretty significant from a buildup / attacking point of view.
That maybe true but a FB's primary job is to be a defender and the gap between TAA and AWB/Dalot in that regard is even bigger

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Dream summer scenario for 99% of Caf was; Kane, Rice and Jude. Toney was just behind Kane and Osimhen as favoured striker option. Nobody said a word against Mount's quality (is he right player for system was the only issue).
I really wanted Jude from very early on, but preferred Osimhen, Rice I never really cared for

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
West Ham have apparently walked away from signing JWP as the fee Southampton were demanding was too much for them. So it seems that at least one of those "rivals" for the McTominay is out of the picture for now. Chelsea refused the Hammers' £40m bid for Gallagher. Palhinha is injured and Fulham will also demand such a high fee that they probably wouldn't be willing to pay that anyway.

FerociousCorgis

just makes so much sense to move on from mcfred, bring in amrabat, and roll with what we have (even with the mainoo injury). Case, mount, eriksen, amrabat, DVB (i guess?), and then just give hannibal some time until mainoo is back. Plenty for 2 spots.

Borninthe80ts

Not to be picky but I would have said only Jude really would have been on most peoples list and he probably plays the least ‘ British’ out of the lot.
Most people have changed opinions but I would have said there was a recent assumption that continental players were more technical than Brits. Or at the least that a physical style equated to less skilled. I for one don’t believe this for confirmation purposes.

Pronewbie

Peep
Ok grandpa lets get you to bed... youre sleepwalking again.
Comparable doesn't mean similar, Woodward. The difference in Mount and McT isn't as big as you probably think. If Mount is worth £60M in his final year then it is definitely debatable that McT is worth £40M in this market. West Ham are getting desperate to strengthen their midfield before the season starts, and then there's the possibility of nationality nepotism/familiarity.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I doubt Ten Hag ever wanted Rice - if he did then the transfer with these two should be easy to achieve even if swap transfers are less likely in real life than FM.

Santos J

Nixon used to be quite good but been a bit of a shit source for the last few seasons unfortunately

massey

Just been on the west ham forum (dirty I know) and it seems they are getting pretty desperate for signings understandably,mctominay is the preferred player with some even saying pay 40m haha and Maguire they are not so sure of but a few mentioned it would strengthen them still and he could work under less pressure.

Traub

When was the last time there was a double deal? West Ham with tevez and mascherano? It’s on!

Traub

Can you imagine they spend all that rice money on these two? Worse than Spurs with the Bale money.

greater wall

West ham have got 105m for Rice and qualified for Europe. They are trying to low ball other teams for their players. United should keep increasing the price as the end of the window gets closer.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
The gap between anyone and TAAs level of crossing is enormous. Let’s not compare our fullbacks to him because he is the exception. Most wingers wouldn’t meet that comparison

Last edited:

Koldbeer2021

Supports
West Ham
The guy writes for the sun, its bullsh*t then.
I'll await for another source saying the same thing, its come completely out of the blue and none of the other VERY reliable WHU sources have mentioned anything of it. I can't imagine it getting this far towards a medical withpout one of the other sources hearing something. I for myself have had absolutely nothing of it either, but then I'm not in the same league for info as those others.

RuudTom83

"Long distance medicals" haha I love it!

Utter bollocks, just for a few re-tweets...ffs the state of journalism these days.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
West ham have got 105m for Rice and qualified for Europe. They are trying to low ball other teams for their players. United should keep increasing the price as the end of the window gets closer.
WH have debt to pay as well out of that money. Moyes won’t get it all

Status
Not open for further replies.