Scott McTominay | Transfer discussion not performance discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eugenius

Good for him. He rarely shows it on the field though. Not 'never', but it doesn't happen very often. Whether it's a physical limitation or (more likely) a mental limitation where he doesn't know when and where to actually do it, the end result for us has been the same.
Because he's mainly playing deep as a double pivot and not running off the ball? He destroyed Leeds who are a man for man team with his running power, when he was given a bit of freedom. It's like Yaya Toure as DM looked slow and cumbersome, as an attacking player he was absolutely lethal with his running ability.

He will surprise a lot of people if he goes to WHU and plays as a number 8. Big lad who can run and get a few goals. Not anywhere near good enough to do what Casemiro does but that's not his game.

midou

I don't rate McT very highly - he has no DMC skills and for B2B the competition is too strong. 40m would be fantastic, I understand prices are crazy right now and we should maximise the sales, however his value will only go down after sitting on the bench for another year.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
I just hope that the mega wages Maguire is on here won't be another obstacle. How long left of the transfer window.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
McTominay is good enough to be a squad player for United, and a starter for West Ham.

EtH doesn't seem to want to lose him. A lot of what McT does gets appreciated more by managers and other players than it does by armchair fans. Hence why Mourinho loved him, Ole dropped Pogba for him, Rangnick called him a future captain, and EtH appears happy to keep him. I also recall Keane saying how he's worth keeping while Fred isn't.

But all that being said, everyone has a price. If West Ham meet it, he'll go. I think if it's a choice between two equally good players one of whom is an academy graduate and the other isn't, I'd always pick the academy graduate. That means we'd need a transfer fee big enough to buy someone who's actually better. Even £40m would be tight unless we had someone else specific in mind whom we've already contacted (Amrabat is a very different profile as DM so I don't see him as a replacement for what Scott can offer, and Mainoo is an #8).

Given that every transfer we've gone after has been £55m as a minimum, we need to be careful not to leave a gap in the squad that we can't afford to fill.
Well said, I was going to make a post but you covered most of what I was going to say. The fee is an important point and I'm not sure how far the negotiation on the Amrabat or another MID deal is going but you can be sure that clubs will be waiting to see what we get before trying to rinse us again. I would hope that the club have already agreed a rough deal around the 26M as discussed for Amrabat as that could very quickly turn into 46M if Scott/Fred/Donny go and a deal is not agreed.

Revan

Assumptionman
30m is a fair price. Him and Maguire out the gap for 60m would be excellent business.

I can see West Ham, saying feck off and they'll at Utd for at least another year.
If they do that, we can only blame ourselves (as usual). I fear we are overplaying our hand here. Get another few millions if we can, but anything north of 60m for the pair of them is incredibly good business.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
26-30 is usually prime age for a footballer. You would imagine that he would have comfortably 6 years if not more at the top. He never looked out of place in our team, let's be honest. I think £40m is fair.
It’s amazing what hiding from the ball can mask people’s judgement of his actual contribution.

At the end of the day, he’s a midfielder who can’t tackle, puts in the least effort in our midfield and barely touches the ball but people think he’s good and will perform better when played in his proper position.

I can excuse the shit performance for being played out of position, but not the lack of effort. He’s a woeful player who made a mockery of our academy supposedly prioritising football skills over athleticism.

Oranges038

If they do that, we can only blame ourselves (as usual). I fear we are overplaying our hand here. Get another few millions if we can, but anything north of 60m for the pair of them is incredibly good business.
Definitely.

They aren't worth anything sitting on the bench, and would be only costing the club money, while their value goes down anyway. Much better to have that money in the bank from selling them now.

hobbers

Hiding from this transfer even harder than he hides from the ball.

mintyred

The funny thing is his errors are just more easy to spot in a team like United’s who dont sit back a lot. At Leicester (and West ham possibly) he fitted in as his job was to defend a tight space for a team that sat back and cleared the ball a lot. (A City game springs to mind where he looked like Maldini).

The times at Leicester where he had to deal with counter attacks and pacy footballers with space, he did the exact same mistakes as he does here at United.
I can't remember his mistakes at Leicester as it was so long ago, but he makes a horrible error that leads to a goal/almost leads to a goal every time he plays for us. If any other team had a player like this no one would defend him.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Wouldn't mind him staying tbh. I've been critical of his performances but if we can't get a good price for him, we might as well keep him for depth. I'm sure we'll have games where we can rest some of our other players and he'd suffice.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
If he stays, we will struggle to get half of this next season die to his lack of minutes. We are playing with fire there.

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
Come on Moyseh let’s get it done,
Have to say I think both players would be excellent for West Ham.

ROFLUTION

For FFP purposes wouldnt it be best to sell McTominay for a bit more than Maguire?

(example 40+20 instead of 30+30)

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
For FFP purposes wouldnt it be best to sell McTominay for a bit more than Maguire?

(example 40+20 instead of 30+30)
Maybe I misunderstand but I don't think it matters, we book the whole fee right away no matter how it's structured (however much up front and in installments)

90 + 5min

Very good news

This is joke. A player that is not worse than a player who went for £100m.

I'm not saying that McTominay is worth even £40m but with market being as it is we should not let him go for peanuts. If WestHam want him, pay up.

Castia

If Maguire and McT are sat on the bench all season rather than being sold then we’ve fecked up massively. Hearing West Ham have moved on to Ward Prowse

Baxquux

Hearing they may have moved onto James Ward Prowse as we’re overpricing McT
Yeah, Ornstein reporting it. Clearly those of us who were wary of overpricing him and urging the club from a distance to just accept the damn offer just didn't understand the intricacies of negotiation...

Borninthe80ts

I mean we've turned down several offers at this point though, this isn't me or anyone else getting pissy because we rejected a 10m bid. Turning down 60m for the pair in the hopes we get 70m, when the actual effect it will have on our club/business is negligible.
Have we though? Not trying to be that guy but for me there has been rumours but only yesterday were credited outlets saying bids were made. I just think we react a lot of speculation and generally not positively.

Also u say 10 million is negligible, for me that could be used somewhere. We know they will be sold, get the best deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.