Scottish Football 21-22

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
I’m not sure. I could see Lampard taking the job. It’s a club where he will be challenging for trophies and he will be given a decent budget in a league where he will outspend the rest. He will also have European football as a challenge which I think will be a big bonus for him.

It’s also worth noting that Lampard will have seen the impact Celtic has had on Brendan Rodgers after his sacking at Liverpool. He rebuilt his career there and Lampard could do the same.

Lampard would need time though, he’s not great tactically and his game management was poor at Derby and Chelsea. Celtic are at their lowest right now and would Lampard be good to rebuild? No one knows. Gerrard has done it though and I reckon Lampard has the confidence in himself to believe he could do the same job as Gerrard.

I don’t believe Celtic fans would give him the time though. They’d expect instant success.

poleglass red

Just read that the reason bookies have Kennedy as odds on favourite is that if he manages 10 games in a row he's considered permanent manager by them. 8 leagues games and cup games could get him to that if they don't announce a new manager before end of season.If they don't announce a new manager right away, it's possibly someone still in a job or waiting for Clarke maybe. If Eddie Howe was in for it, surely he'd get right away so he can settle in and be ready for next season. Whoever gets it is going to be expected to win the league next season by the fan base.

padzilla

Hipster
Just read that the reason bookies have Kennedy as odds on favourite is that if he manages 10 games in a row he's considered permanent manager by them. 8 leagues games and cup games could get him to that if they don't announce a new manager before end of season.If they don't announce a new manager right away, it's possibly someone still in a job or waiting for Clarke maybe. If Eddie Howe was in for it, surely he'd get right away so he can settle in and be ready for next season. Whoever gets it is going to be expected to win the league next season by the fan base.
Appointing the assistant to Lennon as the next manager would surely be a risky venture. I know there is an expectation from Celtic fans their board will make the cheapest appointments where possible but surely the fan base would erupt. I think Lennon only lasted so long because the stadiums were empty and the board had a free run without protesting crowds each week.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Rodgers attempted to bring Celtic up to date but struggled against an antiquated board. When Leicester offered 9 mill to let him leave early the board thought they had died and gone to heaven. 9 mill & a problem child gone. They made no investment in a modern manager c/w team but went for a cut price yes man & lo & behold, it went bad.
Celtic need to update if they want to be relevant in modern football.

poleglass red

Appointing the assistant to Lennon as the next manager would surely be a risky venture. I know there is an expectation from Celtic fans their board will make the cheapest appointments where possible but surely the fan base would erupt. I think Lennon only lasted so long because the stadiums were empty and the board had a free run without protesting crowds each week.
Don't see Kennedy getting it, bookies covering their arses with that one if he makes it until end of season. Coincidentally he's was always Lawwell's choice to eventually take the job, with him going I think it ends any chance of that. Celtic in the past after a bad spell have tended to go big, O'Neill came in after the Barnes/Daglish fiasco, Rodgers came in after Rony Delia. They'd need to think hard about this one and make sure they don't go the easy and cheap route they took with Lennon. As far as they are off Rangers this season, it doesn't take that much to get back under the right guidance. I see they are looking for a DOF as well, so that will play into who gets the managers job.

poleglass red

Rodgers attempted to bring Celtic up to date but struggled against an antiquated board. When Leicester offered 9 mill to let him leave early the board thought they had died and gone to heaven. 9 mill & a problem child gone. They made no investment in a modern manager c/w team but went for a cut price yes man & lo & behold, it went bad.
Celtic need to update if they want to be relevant in modern football.
Yes they do and it looks they are somewhat. Lawwell the CEO is retiring, he had too much control over everything including football matters. New man McKay is seeking a DOF, this will help in transfers as their business this season was woeful . I think they will want a perceived shiny "new" celtic in place before season ticket renewals, if they ever get back.They will need to be able to sell their plan. They got cocky thinking the groundwork Rodgers left could be carried on.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Team v Kilmarnock

Bain
Taylor
Broony
Ajeti
Turnbull
Kenny
Christie
Eddy
Ajer
McGregor
Welshy

Barky
Duffy
Soro
Griffths
Kimala
Rogic
Johnston
Elynoussi
Laxalt

mon the champions.
We are the champions

we are Glasgow Celtic we are Glasgow Celtic champions of Scotland once again.
So how did that go for you? You were warned it was cringeworthy calling your team the champions whilst being over 20 points behind.

Lunacy.

Super Hans

So, since the old Rangers died, is this then the first premier league title ever for the new club called Rangers?

Reiver

So, since the old Rangers died, is this then the first premier league title ever for the new club called Rangers?
Bloody hell, you're inviting trouble by even suggesting that. Technically yes? But try telling that to any Rangers fan. Especially those gathering in George Square and outside Ibrox tonight. It's not like there is a global pandemic or anything.

Next Celtic boss- lost of rumours, I think it's either Steve Clarke or Roberto Martinez. The fact they appointed Kennedy to the end of the season makes me think its someone who couldn't take the job right now.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
We have, the style of football is getting worse too. No-one expects us to compete with Rangers and Celtic over a season but we do expect to be competitive in the games themselves. Too many weak performances over the years against the big 2.
He's gone. Interesting to see where you go now.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Celtic need to get Lampard in. No brainer.
He was rubbish at Chelsea - not sure it'd be a particularly good appointment. Howe seems like the potentially best choice for attainable managers. Although they could try and make a bit of a statement and go for a big name like when they got Rodgers.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
He's gone. Interesting to see where you go now.
It's near impossible for us to go much worse than we are currently thankfully. 3rd biggest budget and a solid squad, the last few months have been massively underperforming for the squad we have. Right decision for him to go for sure, did a good job the first few years and really stabalised the club but the last few years have been par for the course at best. The football has been horrendous. I do think it's easy to forget how things were before/when he took over and things obviously look good compared to then but the squad is far better during his entire reign than it was prior to that so I don't think it's a case of we will slip back to bottom half. Would need to be a terrible terrible job for us to slip back to to the bottom 6.

Not sure who will get the job, the Scottish managers don't fill me with any form of hope really. I've wanted a foreign manager for years, mainly in the hope of some decent football. I'd rather lose 3-2 everyweek than watch us scrape 0-0's or 1-0's. Not too sure who the board will go for, Enzo Maresca has been linked. I've watched his City u23s a few times and they play decent football but everyone does at u23 level. Probably won't be anyone appointed until the end of the season anyway with a temp management team announced anyway.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
It's near impossible for us to go much worse than we are currently thankfully. 3rd biggest budget and a solid squad, the last few months have been massively underperforming for the squad we have. Right decision for him to go for sure, did a good job the first few years and really stabalised the club but the last few years have been par for the course at best. The football has been horrendous. I do think it's easy to forget how things were before/when he took over and things obviously look good compared to then but the squad is far better during his entire reign than it was prior to that so I don't think it's a case of we will slip back to bottom half. Would need to be a terrible terrible job for us to slip back to to the bottom 6.

Not sure who will get the job, the Scottish managers don't fill me with any form of hope really. I've wanted a foreign manager for years, mainly in the hope of some decent football. I'd rather lose 3-2 everyweek than watch us scrape 0-0's or 1-0's. Not too sure who the board will go for, Enzo Maresca has been linked. I've watched his City u23s a few times and they play decent football but everyone does at u23 level. Probably won't be anyone appointed until the end of the season anyway with a temp management team announced anyway.
Of the 13 managers since Ferguson, I would say McInnes would go into top 3-4. His record is impressive, but there's a staleness that's swept over the team in the last couple of seasons which hasn't been helped by the sluggish style of football. Eight years is a long time at the same place and things started to become quite predictable (eg the big games against Celtic following the same pattern).

It's important the club gets the next appointment right because every time a manager has left who had the club consistently in the top 2-4 (Jocky Scott / Alex Smith and Jimmy Calderwood), there's been a serious drop-off in performances for a few years. There's plenty of fighting talk from the owners so you'd expect a plan in place and some ambition in the next appointment. Like you - and same applies for the Celtic shortlist - the pickings from the local market are pretty slim. It's basically either tired and tested, or fresh and unproven. I've heard Glass and Maloney mentioned amongst that second group.

Last edited:

hubbuh

Few videos of Rangers fans fighting, fecking about with addicts/homeless people apparently. They seem like a bit of a rotten lot.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Few videos of Rangers fans fighting, fecking about with addicts/homeless people apparently. They seem like a bit of a rotten lot.
Thousands of pissed football fans, after being couped up for a year, expect a few to take it too far. Wait until you see what outside Wetherspoons will be like when lockdown finishes! :eek:

hubbuh

Thousands of pissed football fans, after being couped up for a year, expect a few to take it too far. Wait until you see what outside Wetherspoons will be like when lockdown finishes! :eek:
We're all still couped up! Tens of thousands of em out on the piss, tearing up memorial benches etc. in the middle of a lockdown is a bit shitey. People can do their worst once lockdown finishes, I'll be right there cheering them on.

Ludens the Red

Really unlike Rangers fans. Normally a sound and respectful bunch. Take Manchester in 2008 for example. They behaved in an exemplary manor.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Really unlike Rangers fans. Normally a sound and respectful bunch. Take Manchester in 2008 for example. They behaved in an exemplary manor.
Legend has it, at least two benches in the entire City didn't get torn up.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
He was rubbish at Chelsea - not sure it'd be a particularly good appointment. Howe seems like the potentially best choice for attainable managers. Although they could try and make a bit of a statement and go for a big name like when they got Rodgers.
The club is in a bit of a mess right now, I'm not sure any big names would be too interested.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
We're all still couped up! Tens of thousands of em out on the piss, tearing up memorial benches etc. in the middle of a lockdown is a bit shitey. People can do their worst once lockdown finishes, I'll be right there cheering them on.
Did you win anything to celebrate, to have that emotional outpouring? Liverpool done the same, Leeds done the same, Celtic had folk out throwing barriers & also hundreds at the cup final, some St Johnstone fans even broke rules to celebrate their final victory. Unfortunately a lot of football fans don't seem to think about the big picture, they can be a bit selfish & stupid in the main.

The memorial benches weren't deliberately broken, but drunk fans standing on them for a better view & they collapsed. Shouldn't have been done but the fans have raised over £10k already to fix them up.

Listen, I'm trying not to defend it, because like I said, I know it's wrong. I stayed at home, I wanted to be there with my boy who is 9 & has never seen us win a trophy of any note apart from the lower leagues, but I thought better of it, I knew it just wasn't right

However, if you ask me in 5 years if I'm happy I stuck doing the sensible thing, I need to be honest with you & say I'm not sure I would.

Last edited:

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
The club is in a bit of a mess right now, I'm not sure any big names would be too interested.
Could be part of the appeal though - lowered expectations and all that. Before this season any Celtic manager was basically expected to win the treble at a bare minimum. Now the fans will be delighted with anyone who can win them the title next season.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
St Mirren were penalised earlier in the season for car-sharing. The SPFL wanted them to forfeit two matches as punishment. Gerrard has been car-sharing all season. Rangers players filmed themselves car-sharing at the weekend. Not only were they doing that, they were driving through fans, windows down, selfies and fist bumping galore. Not even a sniff of condemnation. Those same players that flouted the rules will be free to face Slavia Prague in the Europa League tomorrow. Go figure.

The only club without a positive COVID test all season despite numerous breaches of lockdown with players getting caught at illegal parties on multiple occasions. Conveniently it was always youth players though. Scott Arfield, for example, is the only person in the world to not attend their own birthday party. Although I'm not for one minute suggesting a club of such integrity would be up to any funny business.

As for their behaviour at the weekend. Well, that was entirely expected. Smashing up memorial benches though is pretty low even for a fanbase with a reputation like theirs. They were pishing up against the very same statues they wanted to defend less than a year ago :lol:

Could be part of the appeal though - lowered expectations and all that. Before this season any Celtic manager was basically expected to win the treble at a bare minimum. Now the fans will be delighted with anyone who can win them the title next season.
We can definitely still attract big name managers. We have the financial power to attract them, we have a huge fanbase and we present an excellent opportunity of winning trophies. Celtic have always been a huge draw in that respect. The problem was that horrible people like Lawwell were always looking for cheap yes men like that clown Lennon. Lawwell is now gone and this guy from Scottish Rugby that's replacing him actually looks promising. He's done a brilliant job there so things are looking up on that front. We're finally entering the 21st century and are on the hunt for a DOF too. The only worry is that Dermot Desmond sticks his clueless oar in again and asks for Roy Keane. That would be disastrous.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
St Mirren were penalised earlier in the season for car-sharing. The SPFL wanted them to forfeit two matches as punishment. Gerrard has been car-sharing all season. Rangers players filmed themselves car-sharing at the weekend. Not only were they doing that, they were driving through fans, windows down, selfies and fist bumping galore. Not even a sniff of condemnation. Those same players that flouted the rules will be free to face Slavia Prague in the Europa League tomorrow. Go figure.

The only club without a positive COVID test all season despite numerous breaches of lockdown with players getting caught at illegal parties on multiple occasions. Conveniently it was always youth players though. Scott Arfield, for example, is the only person in the world to not attend their own birthday party. Although I'm not for one minute suggesting a club of such integrity would be up to any funny business.

As for their behaviour at the weekend. Well, that was entirely expected. Smashing up memorial benches though is pretty low even for a fanbase with a reputation like theirs. They were pishing up against the very same statues they wanted to defend less than a year ago :lol:
It's quite sad that that's all you have to cling to. Provid protocols, who attended what party? Last year it was all 10 in a row, no-one can touch us, we're walking this league, this year its who sharing who's car! :lol:

Not sure people in glass houses should throw stones either about our fans behaviour this year! :p

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

We can definitely still attract big name managers. We have the financial power to attract them, we have a huge fanbase and we present an excellent opportunity of winning trophies. Celtic have always been a huge draw in that respect. The problem was that horrible people like Lawwell were always looking for cheap yes men like that clown Lennon. Lawwell is now gone and this guy from Scottish Rugby that's replacing him actually looks promising. He's done a brilliant job there so things are looking up on that front. We're finally entering the 21st century and are on the hunt for a DOF too. The only worry is that Dermot Desmond sticks his clueless oar in again and asks for Roy Keane. That would be disastrous.
Is that you Neil?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

St Mirren were punished because they had to call off their game due to positive covid tests. These had arisen because of various failures in following protocol. They appealed and their punishment was overturned.

Meanwhile Celtic were not punished for breaching rules and going out on the piss in Dubai. And that was despite a positive covid test that forced a load of players to self-isolate as close contacts. Go figure that if you’re a St Mirren fan.

As for the fan comments, is it not just a few weeks since Celtic fans gathered as a baying mob to hurl abuse at the management at Celtic Park? Struggling to find your moral high ground here.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/ne...ic-fans-neil-lennon-protest-humza-yousaf-snp/

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
St Mirren were punished because they had to call off their game due to positive covid tests. These had arisen because of various failures in following protocol. They appealed and their punishment was overturned.

Meanwhile Celtic were not punished for breaching rules and going out on the piss in Dubai. And that was despite a positive covid test that forced a load of players to self-isolate as close contacts. Go figure that if you’re a St Mirren fan.

As for the fan comments, is it not just a few weeks since Celtic fans gathered as a baying mob to hurl abuse at the management at Celtic Park? Struggling to find your moral high ground here.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/ne...ic-fans-neil-lennon-protest-humza-yousaf-snp/
Talk about the Scott Arfield accusation. I believe his Mrs had posted a Happy Birthday post on Insta, in the family home in front of a balloon display, think his kid was also in the picture.

But that's the weekend Edmunson & Jones were caught out at a party. But of course, Celtic fans being Celtic fans said that picture his wife posted means it was a party at Arfields, all the players were there & we threw Edmunson & Jones under the bus because they are squad players! :lol: :lol:

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Celtic fans right now are looking for every possible excuse to poor the boot into their rivals to cover up the absolute disaster of a season they’ve just had. It’s quite sad really. Celtic fans are more obsessed about Rangers than the goings on at their own club. I’ve never seen anything like it.

Back on topic: Rangers have somewhat ruined their title win by their behaviour but we have been here before with Rangers. Whilst not as a vile as their rivals, their fans need to get a grip.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
I'm really not too sure that you have financial power, you cannot afford to keep top players due to financial restraint & sell players anytime a big club comes asking. Any Manager coming in will be on a limited budget !
As to winning trophies, it's a two team league !! Not winning a trophy is just an embarrassment .

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
It's quite sad that that's all you have to cling to. Provid protocols, who attended what party? Last year it was all 10 in a row, no-one can touch us, we're walking this league, this year its who sharing who's car! :lol:

Not sure people in glass houses should throw stones either about our fans behaviour this year! :p
Not from me it wasn't. Go dig out my previous posts. I knew 10IAR was finished as soon as we hired Lennon. It's not all I have to cling to. I didn't even mention the embarrassing penalty disparity.

Various failures in following protocol... yes, like car-sharing? :rolleyes: Do you think it's right that the players were allowed to mingle with thousands of fans outside of their bubble and face no consequences?

Celtic never breached any rules in their trip to Dubai. Now, don't get me wrong and think that's an endorsement for their trip. It isn't. I was furious at them for going, it was entirely unnecessary and to see them sitting lounging with pints made my blood boil.

The Celtic Park protests have been somewhat overblown thanks largely to a heavy handed police reaction. Not that your lot would know anything about that. You get police escorts instead. Incomparable to thousands of fans gathering to let off fireworks, flares, fight, smash up memorial benches, smash up the Celtic store, attack police officers, attack underground staff, masturbate in public, defecate in public, drink in public and party in public. And you know that.

Much like the optics of Celtic going to Dubai in the middle of a pandemic, it cannot be overstated just how catastrophically bad the optics are of the police literally giving thousands of fans an escort into the city centre during what is supposed to be a stringent lockdown.

On the subject of the memorial benches though, I thought it was particularly disappointing that your six-chinned chairman felt Glasgow City Council should take some of the blame for the destruction because they didn't remove them beforehand. GCC's response, though, was a knockout blow: “In particular, it is not standard practice to remove memorial benches as the vast, vast majority of people are possessed of sufficient human decency to not vandalise them.” :lol:

Last edited:

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Celtic fans right now are looking for every possible excuse to poor the boot into their rivals to cover up the absolute disaster of a season they’ve just had. It’s quite sad really. Celtic fans are more obsessed about Rangers than the goings on at their own club. I’ve never seen anything like it.

Back on topic: Rangers have somewhat ruined their title win by their behaviour but we have been here before with Rangers. Whilst not as a vile as their rivals, their fans need to get a grip.
That'll be why numerous fans of their club were arrested on sectarian offences at the weekend, yeah? Bit weird, no? To celebrate your clubs title win by singing about Catholics? This is one issue I am 100% confident in saying both sets of fans are as bad as each other. Neither are more obsessed than the other.

The second bold part is a beauty. It was only yesterday an article was published featuring quotes from Sir Alex where he says he was quizzed on where he married his wife by Rangers directors and confirms his belief that he was banished from the club because his wife was Catholic. Not content with discriminating against signing Catholics (which funnily enough cost them the services of Scotland's greatest ever defender because they incorrectly assumed he was Catholic because of his name), it would seem they also discriminated based on who their players were married to. A rancid club from top to bottom.

Although it's just dawned on me how daft I am to a) be arguing with a fan about how vile his clubs fans are and b) to be arguing with a guy to be so utterly clueless as to have recently suggested that Alfredo Morelos is unfairly treated by Scottish authorities. My mistake.

I'm really not too sure that you have financial power, you cannot afford to keep top players due to financial restraint & sell players anytime a big club comes asking. Any Manager coming in will be on a limited budget !
As to winning trophies, it's a two team league !! Not winning a trophy is just an embarrassment .
We sell players because that's our strategy. We bring through young players with the intention of putting them in the shop window and selling them on for large profits. Guys like Dembele come to Celtic because it's an opportunity to play for a big club where lots of eyes are on you and you get European exposure.

We aren't blessed with obscene Sky money where we can afford to turn down things like 25 million for Kieran Tierney.

We definitely have the financial power to attract top managers though. Why do you think Rodgers was at Celtic? Why do you think our chief executive was one of the highest paid in his profession in the whole of British football? Celtic are rich as hell. They just don't spend it because they're run by risk-averse businessmen.

Last edited:

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
That'll be why numerous fans of their club were arrested on sectarian offences at the weekend, yeah? Bit weird, no? To celebrate your clubs title win by singing about Catholics? This is one issue I am 100% confident in saying both sets of fans are as bad as each other. Neither are more obsessed than the other.

The second bold part is a beauty. It was only yesterday an article was published featuring quotes from Sir Alex where he says he was quizzed on where he married his wife by Rangers directors and confirms his belief that he was banished from the club because his wife was Catholic. Not content with discriminating against signing Catholics (which funnily enough cost them the services of Scotland's greatest ever defender because they incorrectly assumed he was Catholic because of his name), it would seem they also discriminated based on who their players were married to. A rancid club from top to bottom.

Although it's just dawned on me how daft I am to a) be arguing with a fan about how vile his clubs fans are and b) to be arguing with a guy to be so utterly clueless as to have recently suggested that Alfredo Morelos is unfairly treated by Scottish authorities. My mistake.
I know you’re notoriously idiotic however this is a fantastic read.

Morelos was fouled, then booked for diving, then it was rescinded because by the letter of the law, he was treated harshly. If you don’t believe me, Google it, para-man. The paranoia from Celtic is only rivalled by Liverpool.

Celtic fans are not obsessed?

https://kerrydalestreet.co.uk/the-sevco-thread-still-not-a-thread-about-celtic-t52212.html

119,000 comments about Rangers.
59,000 about Lennon.

The most talked about topic on a Celtic forum, is Rangers. I didn’t even have to use this as evidence in my initial post because I knew it would be the point however for your benefit, here you are.

A club so rotten to the core they focus their entire deflection tactics on their rivals, referees, the authorities, Scottish Government etc etc etc

Appalling club I’m who are miles behind in an appalling league who were utterly embarrassed in Europe. Hilarious.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Not from me it wasn't. Go dig out my previous posts. I knew 10IAR was finished as soon as we hired Lennon. It's not all I have to cling to. I didn't even mention the embarrassing penalty disparity.

Various failures in following protocol... yes, like car-sharing? :rolleyes: Do you think it's right that the players were allowed to mingle with thousands of fans outside of their bubble and face no consequences?

Celtic never breached any rules in their trip to Dubai. Now, don't get me wrong and think that's an endorsement for their trip. It isn't. I was furious at them for going, it was entirely unnecessary and to see them sitting lounging with pints made my blood boil.
Even your manager conceded they broke rules.

I’ve not defended Rangers fans partying to celebrate the biggest occasion of the season. But trying to take a moral high ground when the fans of several clubs - including your own - have had various smaller scale public gatherings to protest or celebrate other significantly smaller scale events comes across a little rich. Never mind the outbreak of partying in pubs and streets all over the country when Scotland qualified for the Euros, which didn’t receive even a ripple of condemnation. Point being all supports have a small proportion breaking rules because of both their passion for their team and the fact they are likely not adhering to the covid rules on a day-to-day basis.