Scottish people who want England to fail (debunking a myth)

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
When I was younger me and my little brother used to make fun of each other and pretend to dislike the other and yet at the end of everything we loved each other and were part of a family, and so it is with England and Scotland. The Scottish will routinely joke about not supporting England and will even feign support for England's opponents. However when it comes down to brass tacks the Scottish have historically shown themselves to be a loyal friend and supporter of England.

A fictitious battle between the countries makes for great Hollywood cinema, but in truth sightings of Scottish people who want England to fail are as genuine as a blurry photo of Nessie.

Andy Murray was hounded for joking about it before the truth came out that he had a deep affection for England. Likewise the Indyref showed that the scottish wished to remain alongside England, united in common cause and mutual respect. With a vast majority of Scottish voting their support for the English and the union.

It seems that this whole myth is a misunderstanding of the sibling banter going on, with the only real animosity arising between the countries coming from a small section of divisive nationalist politicians (the SNP and the BNP) whipping up resentment for political gain. But every country has these poisonous voices trying to sew discontent and these are not a reflection of the majority of decent people in both countries.

The truth is that we love the country of Scotland and in return the Scottish love the English. I have no doubt that come Sunday there will be many tartan clad voices singing for England.

Come on Scotland let's hear your voice this weekend!

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
What’s this really about?

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Can’t help but think the OP has the wrong end of the stick on this. I feel no love from the Scots toward us English types, especially in a sporting context.
As for Indyref, the no vote was entirely self serving and self interested and has very little to do with any great love for England.
I have no great hatred for the Scots personally, but I certainly don’t feel this reciprocated from north of the border.

Bondi77

When I was younger me and my little brother used to make fun of each other and pretend to dislike the other and yet at the end of everything we loved each other and were part of a family, and so it is with England and Scotland. The Scottish will routinely joke about not supporting England and will even feign support for England's opponents. However when it comes down to brass tacks the Scottish have historically shown themselves to be a loyal friend and supporter of England.

A fictitious battle between the countries makes for great Hollywood cinema, but in truth sightings of Scottish people who want England to fail are as genuine as a blurry photo of Nessie.

Andy Murray was hounded for joking about it before the truth came out that he had a deep affection for England. Likewise the Indyref showed that the scottish wished to remain alongside England, united in common cause and mutual respect. With a vast majority of Scottish voting their support for the English and the union.

It seems that this whole myth is a misunderstanding of the sibling banter going on, with the only real animosity arising between the countries coming from a small section of divisive nationalist politicians (the SNP and the BNP) whipping up resentment for political gain. But every country has these poisonous voices trying to sew discontent and these are not a reflection of the majority of decent people in both countries.

The truth is that we love the country of Scotland and in return the Scottish love the English. I have no doubt that come Sunday there will be many tartan clad voices singing for England.

Come on Scotland let's hear your voice this weekend!
Are you sure your brother really loves you?

Andersons Dietician

Eh nope… There is a petition to get Hadrians wall back up. Expect planning permission to go through on Monday should England win.

Statue of Limitations

Well, as a non-English person, I can say that I have no antipathy whatsoever towards the English as people, or in general.
My first 3 girlfriends were English after all and usually hope you do well in Eurovision!

But...when it comes to sport, particularly football and the whole "it's coming home" thing I find to be hyper annoying, I would in most cases root against England.
English fans get arrogant, real quick and the pundits are way worse too.

The paper quoted above is 100% correct, the English are still dining out on that dodgy win v West Germany 55 years ago, my kids will be OAP's and still hearing about this if England win :nono:

Come on Italy!
I will get back to liking the English straight after the match :D

ShinjiNinja26

Can’t help but think the OP has the wrong end of the stick on this. I feel no love from the Scots toward us English types, especially in a sporting context.
As for Indyref, the no vote was entirely self serving and self interested and has very little to do with any great love for England.
I have no great hatred for the Scots personally, but I certainly don’t feel this reciprocated from north of the border.
Bollocks. As a Scotsman I can tell you there’s a shit ton of English folks that live up here and it seems like more and more move here by the day. We all get along just fine, no hatred whatsoever, do you think we all give them pelters and run them out the country as soon as they open there mouths?

Pearl.Jam

I’m Welsh and even though I love Italy and been there many times I’m rooting for England on Sunday, as a supporter of an English team it would be hypocritical to want anything else..

Counterfactual

My first 3 girlfriends were English after all and usually hope you do well in Eurovision!
So, you usually root for us in Eurovision, but against us in the European Championships? Interesting!

You say the pundits are worse than the fans for being arrogant, and I agree. Real England fans (don't tell anyone) are bricking it and those doubling down on arrogance are using it to cope!

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
I support 50% of England, the good half. It makes it tricky because I genuinly dislike the other half. It is probably better for everyone if the Italians win. I will congratulate the good half if England win. The other half can feck off.

I do think that this is one of the most likable English teams I can remember including Southgate.

Oranges038

What’s this really about?
A sequel to Braveheart.

Harry Kane is a descendent of Mel Gibson and here he is leading the English into battle against the Romans. To save football from the cheating hand talkers.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
A sequel to Braveheart.

Harry Kane is a descendent of Mel Gibson and here he is leading the English into battle against the Romans. To save football from the cheating hand talkers.
I’m listening

Focusmate

Supports
Non League
Hmm. Theres a level of prejudice and anti English hatred in Scotland that would not be tolerated if it were against anyone else.
It can be very unpleasant. I could relate quite a few examples but 1 will do: My elderly parents stayed in a hotel there and when going to the bar in the evening someone shouted loudly “ i f***ing hate the English “. Noone in the bar or the staff intervened and they left to go back to their room.
For some reason hatred of English people can be passed off as banter when challenged as well

Oranges038

I’m listening
The Romans are led by the fearless generals Leonardo and Georgio, two merciless soldiers and have led their men in 33 undefeated battles during their relentless march toward the spiritual home of football. These two blood thristy animals have failed to conquer Europe so far, they recently only lost control of Italy and are desperate to regain power. First it will be Europe and then the world.

It's down to Harry Kane to follow his blood line and draw on the memories of the great Mel Gibson of 1995 and lead his mean into battle to stop them.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
The Romans are led by the fearless generals Leonardo and Georgio, two merciless soldiers and have led their men in 33 undefeated battles during their relentless march toward the spiritual home of football. These two blood thristy animals have failed to conquer Europe so far, they recently only lost control of Italy and are desperate to regain power. First it will be Europe and then the world.

It's down to Harry Kane to follow his blood line and draw on the memories of the great Mel Gibson of 1995 and lead his mean into battle to stop them.
Great stuff :drool:

Plant0x84

Bollocks. As a Scotsman I can tell you there’s a shit ton of English folks that live up here and it seems like more and more move here by the day. We all get along just fine, no hatred whatsoever, do you think we all give them pelters and run them out the country as soon as they open there mouths?
Not quite what I said though is it? Obviously Scots live in England and the English vice versa. However (admittedly maybe a generalisation) a certain amount of anti-English sentiment exists amongst Scots especially in a sporting context.
As illustrated above, I don’t think there will be many tears shed if England lose on Sunday.
My point about indyref was simply to refute the OP claim that you all voted No cos you love England so much, which is obviously tongue in cheek but demonstrably wrong.

Counterfactual

England drew 0-0 with Scotland, so perhaps England could ask Scotland if they'd like us to represent both nations in the final? We could fly a combined flag. I wonder what it'd look like?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I’m going to Scotland for a week at the start of Sept, might wear an England shirt and see how long I last.
In Edinburgh and the borders? Should be fine. If you go to Glasgow make sure a family member is able to identify your corpse based on what your toes look like.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Not quite what I said though is it? Obviously Scots live in England and the English vice versa. However (admittedly maybe a generalisation) a certain amount of anti-English sentiment exists amongst Scots especially in a sporting context.
As illustrated above, I don’t think there will be many tears shed if England lose on Sunday.
My point about indyref was simply to refute the OP claim that you all voted No cos you love England so much, which is obviously tongue in cheek but demonstrably wrong.
Yes, in a sporting context. But to put things in perspective; who else would be our greatest enemy? Because I can't think of a team we've went head to head with in footballing terms (even games with San Marino come with a hint of "we must be careful not to feck this up like usual") so we have to rely on a rivalry based on who kicked the shit out of each other the most in a boggy field 500 years ago.

Swedish_Plumber

I think a lot of apathy stems from what happens at Westminster. I know for a fact that there are those in England (the north in my example) that feel the same way we do about the government in London. I don’t think a lot of Scots realise that many English people feel just as let down and not at all integrated with what’s going on at Westminster. Therefore some Scots tend to tar everyone with the same brush and believe you lot don’t care about us so why care about you? It’s wrong and it is a major factor in why the Union appears to be failing.
I don’t think it’s right to say Scots hate the English either, it’s just a sporting rivalry, there will always be those that take it too far.

Kajus

Well, as a non-English person, I can say that I have no antipathy whatsoever towards the English as people, or in general.

But...when it comes to sport, particularly football and the whole "it's coming home" thing I find to be hyper annoying, I would in most cases root against England.
English fans get arrogant, real quick and the pundits are way worse too.

The paper quoted above is 100% correct, the English are still dining out on that dodgy win v West Germany 55 years ago, my kids will be OAP's and still hearing about this if England win :nono:

Come on Italy!
I will get back to liking the English straight after the match :D
I’m so sorry!

Counterfactual

I think a lot of apathy stems from what happens at Westminster. I know for a fact that there are those in England (the north in my example) that feel the same way we do about the government in London. I don’t think a lot of Scots realise that many English people feel just as let down and not at all integrated with what’s going on at Westminster. Therefore some Scots tend to tar everyone with the same brush and believe you lot don’t care about us so why care about you? It’s wrong and it is a major factor in why the Union appears to be failing.
I don’t think it’s right to say Scots hate the English either, it’s just a sporting rivalry, there will always be those that take it too far.
I was on a train decades ago and overheard someone saying, "if the Scots ever go independent, the border will move to Sheffield". I think he was indicating similar sentiment to you... that the North feels as alienated as Scotland.

Plant0x84

Yes, in a sporting context. But to put things in perspective; who else would be our greatest enemy? Because I can't think of a team we've went head to head with in footballing terms (even games with San Marino come with a hint of "we must be careful not to feck this up like usual") so we have to rely on a rivalry based on who kicked the shit out of each other the most in a boggy field 500 years ago.
Exactly. This notion of debunking a myth is rubbish because the rivalry exists. By the way, the Irish hate the English, the Welsh hate the English and the Northern Irish can’t make up their mind either way. Probably just the English who root for home nations at tournaments, and that’s probably tinged with a touch of ‘Up the Empire!’ :D

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
But yeah, having lived in Yorkshire for year and a bit, and having in-laws who are English, the beef is not with them. Very closely alike. The beef is middle England and Westminster.

Reiver

Like many Scots, I never want the English football team to do well. I also would like full political independence. Neither of these things means that I hate England. Scots get accused of having a chip on their shoulder where England is concerned - its probably true for a lot of us. But a lot of English people get very defensive very quickly about equating not liking the football team with hating England as a whole. It's not the same thing.
And the majority of voices in this country, if they care at all, will probably be cheering on Italy this Sunday.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
I was on a train decades ago and overheard someone saying, "if the Scots ever go independent, the border will move to Sheffield". I think he was indicating similar sentiment to you... that the North feels as alienated as Scotland.
I can't really get onboard with this notion when you see all the conservative voting in the north of England.