g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Scottish people who want England to fail (debunking a myth)

Fingeredmouse

I’m Welsh and even though I love Italy and been there many times I’m rooting for England on Sunday, as a supporter of an English team it would be hypocritical to want anything else..
In what way would that be hypocritical?
In Edinburgh and the borders? Should be fine. If you go to Glasgow make sure a family member is able to identify your corpse based on what your toes look like.
Yes. You never see an England shirt in the city of Rangers.
It'd largely pass without comment, although most would assume he had high potential to be a bit of a prick and be wary initially, or you'd get the odd supportive (and likely unintelligible) comment from the more vocal Rangers support.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
I’m Welsh and even though I love Italy and been there many times I’m rooting for England on Sunday, as a supporter of an English team it would be hypocritical to want anything else..
Flawed logic. Using that, you should support a Welsh club as your first one.

United fans outside England didn't choose United because it's an English team I'd presume. It could have been Sri Lanka's if they had a strong league and the said club was winning things playing nice football. Let alone the fact the same English NT team will have players from clubs you absolutely detest.

Most of us will have a soft spot given our two players are there in the first eleven but to say not rooting for England is hypocritical is plain wrong.

DoomSlayer

Flawed logic. Using that, you should support a Welsh club as your first one.

United fans outside England didn't choose United because it's an English team I'd presume. It could have been Sri Lanka's if they had a strong league and the said club was winning things playing nice football. Let alone the fact the same English NT team will have players from clubs you absolutely detest.

Most of us will have a soft spot given our two players are there in the first eleven but to say not rooting for England is hypocritical is plain wrong.
So you are saying you are a glory hunter and the only reason you are a fan of the club is because of the success?

DoomSlayer

I've seen United fans on Twitter saying Mancini will surpass Sir Alex's legacy if Italy beat England in the final. Our fanbase is disgusting. :annoyed:

RyRy11

Conversely I always support the “home nations” when they’re playing anyone other than England across all sports. I’ve always felt like I was in a minority in this mind.

Tomuś

So you are saying you are a glory hunter and the only reason you are a fan of the club is because of the success?
Well, everyone outside GB who started supporting United as a kid in mid/late nineties will be a bit of a glory hunter. Also, however strange that it may sound, there was scarce footage of football on the continent, no league games or anything. Just scores on teletext and some ucl games if you're lucky. I watched United against Porto in 1996 and fell in love immediately because of how exciting their football was and how they thrashed the opponents.

Did I care one jot if they were English or Swiss? Not one bit, wouldn’t it have been a little weird for a 7 yrs old?

You do realize little boys outside England aren’t taught the romaticism and history of the club? You learn that later and then you're sure you chose it right.

sully07

My partner is half Scottish and her brother lives 20 minutes walk from Croick Church, about an hour north of Inverness. The visitor books go back decades, reading those leave you in no doubt how the English are thought of up there.

I think the Duke of Sutherland has a lot to answer for

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It's as hypocritical as United fans who are supporters of the English national side refusing to support Liverpool/City/Chelsea in the CL final against non-English clubs. Which is to say, not at all hypocritical.

Club sides aren't proxies for the national team of the countries they're from, or vice versa.

Tomuś

It's as hypocritical as United fans who are supporters of the English national side refusing to support Liverpool/City/Chelsea in the CL final against non-English clubs. Which is to say, not at all hypocritical.

Club sides aren't proxies for the national team of the countries they're from, or vice versa.
Precisely.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
When I was younger me and my little brother used to make fun of each other and pretend to dislike the other and yet at the end of everything we loved each other and were part of a family, and so it is with England and Scotland. The Scottish will routinely joke about not supporting England and will even feign support for England's opponents. However when it comes down to brass tacks the Scottish have historically shown themselves to be a loyal friend and supporter of England.

A fictitious battle between the countries makes for great Hollywood cinema, but in truth sightings of Scottish people who want England to fail are as genuine as a blurry photo of Nessie.

Andy Murray was hounded for joking about it before the truth came out that he had a deep affection for England. Likewise the Indyref showed that the scottish wished to remain alongside England, united in common cause and mutual respect. With a vast majority of Scottish voting their support for the English and the union.

It seems that this whole myth is a misunderstanding of the sibling banter going on, with the only real animosity arising between the countries coming from a small section of divisive nationalist politicians (the SNP and the BNP) whipping up resentment for political gain. But every country has these poisonous voices trying to sew discontent and these are not a reflection of the majority of decent people in both countries.

The truth is that we love the country of Scotland and in return the Scottish love the English. I have no doubt that come Sunday there will be many tartan clad voices singing for England.

Come on Scotland let's hear your voice this weekend!
Have you ever actually talked to Scottish football fans? Or even Scots in general? They really don't like us.