Scouse Boom Bust Cycle

RedNome

Cnut Rating: 9 (Conservative)
There's a piece missing from the end where they win five games on the trot against mediocre opposition and it's back on again untill we put them back in their box.

The Hairdryer

Don't forget there's a re boom in February or March when one or two of the teams above them slip up and drop a point or two and they get within 11-15 points of the leaders and it's suddenly back on again, followed by the massive bust from John O'Shea's right peg or Wes Brown's back.

fatboy

Actually that Feb to April period is also fueled by their traditionally good CL run, especially given the fact they're one of the very few decent teams with nothing left to play for domestically.

And of course given that they aren't really challenged for the last CL qualifying spot, even if they fall short they know they'll be back in it next year. Again. And again. Unfortunately.

dmode

it's ok but it should cover a season... not a year...

and it should rise again to half from jan to march and decline till end of season... to negative infinity...

Red_Jamie

I couldn't help but notice that we've reached a pivotal moment in the cycle.. (circled)

Soon we'll know if it's just another scouse season or maybe they can defy the cycle and it really still be ON! :lol:

Personally i think they'll stay in touch for a good few months yet but eventually they'll fade out again.

Arsenal, Chelsea and us for 1,2,3 again i think..

What do you reckon?

Bearded but no genius

Don't forget there's a re boom in February or March when one or two of the teams above them slip up and drop a point or two and they get within 11-15 points of the leaders and it's suddenly back on again, followed by the massive bust from John O'Shea's right peg or Wes Brown's back.
They're in our rear view mirror!

I remember laughing so hard I was nearly sick when KFC and Murph were spamming the forum with that crap when they pulled within something like 12 with a game in hand in 2007.

Then they claimed it was all a very clever windup when they proceeded to collapse as per usual and they really had us worried - what with being only 12 back.

Red_Jamie

Yeh you know you're in dire times when you have to see only finishing 11 points behind as a positive..

I think the scouse logic is..."so it was 21 in 06-07... 11 in 07-08 surely we must be getting better. we'll catch them up soon. Surely they won't improve as well?!"

Bearded but no genius

I love the purple patch.

That's by far the best.

No sign of Gillespie since the "Arsenal Kids...An Apology" thread.

Crustanoid

Well I've given it a crack. It's a little more complicated that the simplistic Scouse boom bust cycle, and it doesn't quite have the historical verification - mine only stretches back for the last half decade. But I believe it to be an established trend...

You could superimpose a second line which would always run a lot higher on the y axis than the line you have made - 'Press and TV / radio pundit opinion of Arsenal

Murphman

They're in our rear view mirror!

I remember laughing so hard I was nearly sick when KFC and Murph were spamming the forum with that crap when they pulled within something like 12 with a game in hand in 2007.

Then they claimed it was all a very clever windup when they proceeded to collapse as per usual and they really had us worried - what with being only 12 back.
Not a wind up Jason at all, I distinctly remember you not biting and being pissed off at how truly clever and cunning you are.

honest.

'Rear view mirror', class that was.:cool::lol: