Sean Longstaff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
This situation with Longstaff and James reminds me on that situation in life when you don't have money for newest laptop or mobile phone so you buy some unknown stuff from China and you keep saying to yourself; " Samsung and Apple are overrated. This xy thing from China is next big thing".
James and Longstaff maybe have p but signings like that in our situation are wrong. We need quality and then we can add players with potential to that. With signings like that we can't catch 4th place.

People will call me moaner or pessimist but i prefer realist:)

Rish Sawhney

This situation with Longstaff and James reminds me on that situation in life when you don't have money for newest laptop or mobile phone so you buy some unknown stuff from China and you keep saying to yourself; " Samsung and Apple are overrated. This xy thing from China is next big thing".
James and Longstaff maybe have p but signings like that in our situation are wrong. We need quality and then we can add players with potential to that. With signings like that we can't catch 4th place.

Thats not realistic thats just being a miserable sod. You might as well say that about us signing Ronaldo to replace Bekham and not being able to sign the "proven" talent of Ronaldinho.

Gandalf

I see your point but we have been buying quality for a while now and frankly Apple (Sanchez) was overrated :lol:

We need a mix, I think 2 or 3 developing talents is fine provided we get 2 or 3 starters as well. Think of James as the prospect and AWB as a certain starter and upgrade, if we repeat with say Longstaff and Fernandes or Collins and Maguire then I think that is a sensible strategy.

NWRed

Because, Di Maria, Falcao, Schweinsteiger and Sanchez turned out so well.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Thats not realistic thats just being a miserable sod. You might as well say that about us signing Ronaldo to replace Bekham and not being able to sign the "proven" talent of Ronaldinho.
Read better. When we signed Ronaldo and sold Beckham we were top dog in England. We had excellent squad which finished 1st. As said, then you can do transfers like this

Last edited:

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
I see your point but we have been buying quality for a while now and frankly Apple (Sanchez) was overrated :lol:

We need a mix, I think 2 or 3 developing talents is fine provided we get 2 or 3 starters as well. Think of James as the prospect and AWB as a certain starter and upgrade, if we repeat with say Longstaff and Fernandes or Collins and Maguire then I think that is a sensible strategy.
Sanchez was a Nokia when we bought him.

I can't think of any Apples. Maybe Pogba is an Apple...?

Le Red

I think you are looking at the whole situation the wrong way. We can't go for the Galactico approach simply because the top talents in the world are either established or looking for teams who play in the UCL.
Still, not all that glitters is gold, and many of our former signings will prove that to you. We need to look for players who have quality and fit Ole's plans.
As for the kind of player you are underestimating, they might surprise you. I miss the likes of Fletcher, O'Shea, Brown, Saha, who weren't world beaters, but had quality and did their best for the club.

PS. Apple and Samsung are overrated. They might be slightly better than the Chinese phones but you pay a fortune for that little difference, and won't even use all the features.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

Yes, that is what i was talking about.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
I think you are looking at the whole situation the wrong way. We can't go for the Galactico approach simply because the top talents in the world are either established or looking for teams who play in the UCL.
Still, not all that glitters is gold, and many of our former signings will prove that to you. We need to look for players who have quality and fit Ole's plans.
As for the kind of player you are underestimating, they might surprise you. I miss the likes of Fletcher, O'Shea, Brown, Saha, who weren't world beaters, but had quality and did their best for the club.

PS. Apple and Samsung are overrated. They might be slightly better than the Chinese phones but you pay a fortune for that little difference, and won't even use all the features.
Nah. But not here.

:)

Longstaff is certainly not overrated.

Hughie77

Agree, James, is a prospect, longstaff the same, with Longstaff, Utd have been monitoring him from youth level ?

I don't think we're in for him? But who knows,James will shock us all.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I've never seen him play. I see people on facebook talking about how we already have 1 McTominay. Are they similar? Or are people just generalising because they are two young british white centre-mids? Sorta like how Pogba is the "new Vieira" to pundits despite being far closer in style to Lampard.

El-Manos

The reality is somewhere in the middle. It’s a good thing to go for these young talents that are relatively unknown, but they need to be surrounded by world class players in order to evolve their game. We don’t have too many of those sadly. Arguably only Pogba & De Gea fit that criteria.

El-Manos

I've never seen him play. I see people on facebook talking about how we already have 1 McTominay. Are they similar? Or are people just generalising because they are two young british white centre-mids? Sorta like how Pogba is the "new Vieira" to pundits despite being far closer in style to Lampard.
From what I’ve gathered, Longstaff is more like Carrick ( good forward passer & under pressure).

manunited1919

You will never win anything with kids.......
I would be happy to be wrong. But we don’t have SAF as manager anymore. Also, if we want kids, why are we buying kids for £18m to £25m a pop if we already have some of the best kids in our academy.

I know there’s people with influence in our club (I’m not talking the CAF) who are pushing for this strategy of buying young unproven British talent. I wish they would come out in the open and really pronounce themselves about this great strategy that tgey believe in. At least when it fails, their influence would be diminished. But no, they use their soft power and advocate this strategy now, but as soon as we are struggling in the premiership they will be the first to distance themselves from the strategy and will let Ole fall on the sword.

manunited1919

You are spot on.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
The reality is somewhere in the middle. It’s a good thing to go for these young talents that are relatively unknown, but they need to be surrounded by world class players in order to evolve their game. We don’t have too many of those sadly. Arguably only Pogba & De Gea fit that criteria.
Exactly that. When you have strong high quality squad then new even not much talented players will play better and younger players with big potential will reach their full potential. People keep mentioning SAF era. But Chicharito had Rooney, Fletch had Carrick and Scholes, Butt had Keane, Ronaldo had best PL winger Giggs, O'Shea and Wes Brown played in maybe best defensive line in PL history. It is "easy" to play and develop when you have VDS, Vidic, Rio and Evra near you. Even Smalling and Jones were much better with Vida and Rio.
When squad is built then that squad push new player to play better ( and can cover his flaws).

Zed 101

Yeah much better to spend £1000 on an Apple or Samsung phone made in the same factory as the Chinese one with the same specs for £150, thing with buying gear from China is you need to do some research and not just buy the first cheap thing, so actually your analogy is quite good just arse-about-face, as long as we have scouted and researched a player then getting them on the cheap side is just one more thing to be happy about, then you can laugh at all the mugs who spend £1000 on the newest phone each year only to crack the screen or drop it in the toilet....

Steven7290

Or when you buy a watch for 200 quid to tell you the time instead of the 200k one with loads of diamonds on it.

jesperjaap

Absolutely nothing new in the strategy of us signing huge up and coming prospects and especially British ones. Must be younger fans applauding this and saying we need to move away from galatico approach that hasnt worked as we ardly ever did that in Fergusons time.
For me Bissaka really represents a proper United transfer, not really seen that much of James or Longstaff, but from what I have I am not sure they are. Bissaka is one of the best full backs in the league without a doubt like Ince, Keane, Carrick, Cole, Robson, Ferdinand, Rooney and several others were, they were already establishing themselves within a season to three of being top top players. I think Bissaka fits that profile, so do the likes of Sancho and Rice, very early with James and Longstaff who have done very little at all yet. Are these two the right kind of players we have spotted earlier than usual....Im not so sure

Okey

It's so hard to judge these kinds of punt transfers (never been an exact science) , and of course everyone is just giving their opinion. Mine is, I've seen Longstaff in all of his games last season. He always stood out for one so young and new. Both fans and pundits were pointing him out. Great maturity and confidence for his age, and matched up so well against established stars. For such a low fee I for one won't mind at all. He's not that different from Dele Alli at MK. Could just turn out to have similar impact...

Will Singh

We ain't buying xy things from China, what we are doing is investing in quality products that in the future could do the job of Apple and Samsung.

We've tried to sign the big names and it's not worked for 6 years so might as well invest in young talent and build a team that in 2/3 years time can start challenging for the PL. I'm all behind this strategy as building for the future at this time when we are miles behind Citeh and the dippers (feel sick), we'd have to spend a fortune to get players here who would IMO come for money rather then passion and then there's no guarantee they will all gel.

Let's all get behind Ole and look forward to building a future....:devil:

Sterling Archer

More like buying local ..so going for a Chevy instead of an Audi...

...if we wind up with a Camaro instead of an Impala, it wouldn't actually be that bad.

JK-27

I'm confused with this sudden focus on young players. It's not like we're signing today's version of Gary Neville, Scholes, or a Beckham is it. These lads have hardly shown they're their the future of Utd and indeed England. The whole Ole appointment and sudden rush to buy youth players thing is a panicked approach of trying to wind the clock back 20 years and hoping that might make something stick.

We've bought a league 1 player, a young mid-table player, and are talking about buying a bottom half of the table young player. Doesn't sound like a grand plan to try and win the league next season does it. So what are we saying, take 2-3 season with a bunch of youngsters and see how they do and improve? So what, we're literally planning to go 9-10 seasons since our last Prem title win? Seriously? And no one thinks going 9-10 seasons without a title win is anything but a massively bad achievement under Woodward? It's insane. Woodward out!

KennyBurner

James maddison is quality however longstaff is as you say.

My problem with him after watching a few videos is his tendency to play the long pass way too much. Didn't see enough of him playing short smart passes. That is what is needed when trying to dominate a game. I envision us dominating matches under ole and if infact Ole is interested in him then that means he has a particular way he envisions us playing which might be longball. The thought of that is already scary.

soaphroniscuss

I'm confused with this sudden focus on young players. It's not like we're signing today's version of Gary Neville, Scholes, or a Beckham is it. These lads have hardly shown they're their the future of Utd and indeed England. The whole Ole appointment and sudden rush to buy youth players thing is a panicked approach of trying to wind the clock back 20 years and hoping that might make something stick.

We've bought a league 1 player, a young mid-table player, and are talking about buying a bottom half of the table young player. Doesn't sound like a grand plan to try and win the league next season does it. So what are we saying, take 2-3 season with a bunch of youngsters and see how they do and improve? So what, we're literally planning to go 9-10 seasons since our last Prem title win? Seriously? And no one thinks going 9-10 seasons without a title win is anything but a massively bad achievement under Woodward? It's insane. Woodward out!
I'm actually pretty positive about Longstaff. The focus should be more on what he can do rather than who he is playing for at the moment. For that to be done effectively we need scouts and management that are able to recognise talent. Looking at Longstaff my only reservation is whether he is dynamic and mobile enough. In terms of everything else from the little than I have seen of him, he actually looks like a better footballer than other more renowned targets like NDombele, and he is definitely an upgrade on Matic.

KennyBurner

From what I’ve gathered, Longstaff is more like Carrick ( good forward passer & under pressure).
Please stop it. He is nothing like carrick from the videos Ive seen. he doesnt even have a very good first touch. Its very loose.

He is very direct when it comes to longballs but carrick knew how to play it on the ground and control the tempo. From the videos Ive watched he doesnt like to mix up his passes which is terrible for a midfielder. We really cant rely on longballs unless Ole plans to use us as a counter attacking team which will be very disappointing if true.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I get that but what makes you think he wouldn’t be tempted by Madrid if they actually wanted him?
Right he could be tempted too, but maybe less likely to happen if compared to other flashy foreign players.

croadyman

I think you are spot on with what you're saying about the galactico players looking for only teams that are playing in the champions league. The fact is our previous strategy of buying ready made players like Sanchez and Di Maria just hasn't worked so can understand why the club have decided to go down a different route.

Looks to me like not many of our fans rate Longstaff at all which on one hand I can understand because he has played very few games for Newcastle, however this has the feel of the unknown quantities we signed under Fergie and nothing gives me greater pleasure than when that type of signing makes fans and pundits really eat their words, just maybe he has the capabilities to do just that.

Something that stood out for me in the little bit I saw of him last season was that he stood up away to Chelsea and Spurs not forgetting the praise he got from Guardiola for his performance in the win against City at St James's Park. Yes I realise that he hasn't yet shown it over a season but proves that he is capable against that level of opposition on a given day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ødegaard

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
I'm actually pretty positive about Longstaff. The focus should be more on what he can do rather than who he is playing for at the moment. For that to be done effectively we need scouts and management that are able to recognise talent. Looking at Longstaff my only reservation is whether he is dynamic and mobile enough. In terms of everything else from the little than I have seen of him, he actually looks like a better footballer than other more renowned targets like NDombele, and he is definitely an upgrade on Matic.
Rewatch the Newcastle-City match if you can. Even though he has a tall, wiry frame, he's actually not as immobile as you would think.

I'm excited about us signing Longstaff. His mentality was very impressive for someone just coming through. He wasn't fazed by top opposition at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.