Gaming Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PC, PS4, Xbox One)

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I'm an unashamed DS2 enjoyer, despite it being the black sheep, so Im not implying there's an insult somwhere in the comparison. Its just not an obvious likeness to me, or at least no more than most other soulsborne games. Unlike Elden Ring, which is very reminiscent of DS2 and often gets called Dark Souls 2 2.
Elden Ring has similar flaws too, that is absolutely right and why I still have that beneath DS1,3 and BB.

In Sekiro they don't show up as much because of the fact it's a different game and flows differently, but it's definitely built on the DS2 version of the engine and not DS3's update. Even the mods had to be made more with that in mind. Stuff like the range shots and how they work, and like I say, much of the level design is similar in flow. The cheapness at times is straight out of the same playbook. Again that feels different though because of how you can master the combat and move around more freely, but it's very much there.

But yeah, I'm a fan of DS2 still too. I just wish they'd actually work on the engine now, even Armored Core 6 runs on the same tired platform that desperately needs an overhaul!

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
There's a way to end the game roughly halfway through and fight a unique combination of a certain character plus a very different version of the final boss, so there is some incentive to go for a second run. I remember thinking that version was even harder than the Sword Saint for me personally.
As in no more progression characters wise.

With souls game you can still get stronger. With Sekiro i think that's all. The rest is cosmetic iirc

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
I now have arrived at Isshin, the Sword Glock Saint. I can deal with Genichiro and phase I (the actual sword fighting Sword Saint) well enough, but I have only once arrived at the last phase so far in ~20 tries :lol:

Siorac

I now have arrived at Isshin, the Sword Glock Saint. I can deal with Genichiro and phase I (the actual sword fighting Sword Saint) well enough, but I have only once arrived at the last phase so far in ~20 tries :lol:
Everybody gangsta until he pulls out the Glock.

(I played uber carefully and kept looking for Mikiri counters at the end of spear combos)

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
Same for me, Genichiro is piss, I can get through Isshin's first phase with only using 2 or 3 heals, but the second phase destroys me every time.

caid

Isshin felt like a time trial to me nearly. I was never going to last that long against him. I think when i got the kill the fight was over really, really fast. I never really got a good grip on the spear attacks, the glock was surprising but manageable.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Same for me, Genichiro is piss, I can get through Isshin's first phase with only using 2 or 3 heals, but the second phase destroys me every time.
I straight up refuse to heal until Isshin stage two, so often enough i die at Genichiro because i grow impatient :lol: :mad:

quadrant

Mini-tip for Isshin, kite him over to the bit nearer the bridge for the fight. It’s much easier to judge his spear attacks when you’re not in those long reeds.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
That fecking grass really obfuscates some of the buildup for certain moves until it's too late.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Finished. Had a free 30 minutes today and finally managed it, even with resurrections and healing items to spare :D

fergosaurus

Just beat the Guardian Ape after about 20+ attempts. Seemed impossible at once stage so glad I can finally progress. Died many times to terror from being greedy and trying to sneak an extra hit in.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Made it to the last fight and got to Isshin. Didn't pay a finger on him though.

Also fecked up the game progress and didn't do the bit to unlock fighting the Owl in Hirata. Just standard game progress.
Never ended up beating Isshin. Gave up. Was playing Sifu last week as the free monthly game and then had the urge to play this again. Naturally, have to start from the beginning because I'm shite at the game again so will have no chance unless I properly learn :lol:
Maybe this time I can actually finish the game, only Souls game that managed to beat me.

Siorac

Never ended up beating Isshin. Gave up. Was playing Sifu last week as the free monthly game and then had the urge to play this again. Naturally, have to start from the beginning because I'm shite at the game again so will have no chance unless I properly learn :lol:
Maybe this time I can actually finish the game, only Souls game that managed to beat me.
Everyone's gangsta until Isshin pulls out the Glock.

bosnian_red

Love this game. Feels like I got really good the past couple of weeks, been running through, and now got to the hirata estate version of the Owl which I never did before. Getting wrecked. So much harder than the ashina castle version.

Never mind I got good and just beat him. Wasn't even getting close to his 2nd phase, switched to mortal draw and started damaging him properly and got him on my 2nd try if getting him to his 2nd phase. Not bad. Have this thing where I never want to use my spirit emblems.. just in case I need them (even though I have 999 of them :lol: ) so never used that combat art.

Last edited:

bosnian_red

feck yeah. Beat it finally. Sword saint isshin wasn't too bad in the end, took about 5 tries total.

Demon of hatred on the other hand, fecked. See what others are saying that it's a Bloodborne boss. Spent an hour getting wrecked before deciding feck it, I'm gonna do the cheese. Spent another 20 minutes trying to time that jump .

Probably goes down as my favourite soulsborne game to be honest, even though it took multiple tries at it to finally go through and beat the game. The combat just so damn satisfying. On to Bloodborne next

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
feck yeah. Beat it finally. Sword saint isshin wasn't too bad in the end, took about 5 tries total.

Demon of hatred on the other hand, fecked. See what others are saying that it's a Bloodborne boss. Spent an hour getting wrecked before deciding feck it, I'm gonna do the cheese. Spent another 20 minutes trying to time that jump .

Probably goes down as my favourite soulsborne game to be honest, even though it took multiple tries at it to finally go through and beat the game. The combat just so damn satisfying. On to Bloodborne next
For me Demon of Hatred wasn't that bad, Sword Saint ruins me though.

bosnian_red

:eek: it took me somewhat more than that. I'm not prepared to divulge the exact number at this present time.
It's weird. I got properly good this time around though, the first time when the game first came out I must have been forcing through dark souls style play and wasn't playing it properly, the 2nd time a couple of years ago around I couldn't figure out Isshin. This time I just got the parrying like second nature. Hirata Owl didn't take more than about 8 tries either after my first reaction being what the feck, once I figured out to jump back on the fire crackers it was easy.

I struggled more against the bigger enemies who didn't use swords basically. Guardian apes first phase tougher than his 2nd, chained ogres were annoying for whatever reason. I guess if they had a sword I just got my timings spot on.

For me Demon of Hatred wasn't that bad, Sword Saint ruins me though.
It seemed just anti everything about Sekiro play style wise so I felt like I didn't want to unlearn my sekiro style and then be fecked for the final boss :lol: Also just massive hit boxes, hard to dodge with fire damage constantly, those massive fire orbs fecking you... Gonna do those reflections of strength to try and do him normally, but yeah I didn't feel like I was even learning how to take him on while fighting him.