Gaming Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PC, PS4, Xbox One)

caid

The same place you fought Lady Butterfly? That was the hardest one for me. Must have spent a full day on it if not more.
Same. Last 2 bosses might have taken a bit longer but its up there with the hardest.
Its kind of the same fight as the first version. He's faster and its a bigger arena but being aggressive and pushing him into corners still works. Both versions of him just wreck you if you sit back and give them space. Same trick that works against Lady Butterfly works against him funnily enough, a lot harder to pull off though.

Baneofthegame

Actually think Sekiro has some of the hardest bosses in the whole series and I cheesed a few of them the first time round.

The demon boss which has three health bars I was out, Isshin was also ridiculous. Both of them got cheesed.

caid

Actually think Sekiro has some of the hardest bosses in the whole series and I cheesed a few of them the first time round.

The demon boss which has three health bars I was out, Isshin was also ridiculous. Both of them got cheesed.
No idea how you could cheese them.
But yeah them 2 and owl are up there with Nameless King and Ornstein and Smough for taking me a billion attempts.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I don't know what it is about this game but i just struggle so hard :lol: started a new save on it after I beat Elden Ring. That fecking purple cloaked knight guarding the mist raven feather is kicking my ass. Trying to do as much of the early game as possible without using the prosthetics so i can master the basics, but feck am I just off with everything so far.
Basically just needed to get bad Sekiro habits/good dark souls habits out of my system :lol: Spent a good 2 hours fighting this one guy before I got the hang of it and learned how to deflect properly, anticipate thrusts/sweeps and not panic dive. Got through all these other starting mini bosses without too many issues. At Lady Butterfly in Hirata Estate, and then the mini boss right before the Genichiro Ashina in Ashina Castle basically trying to clear it all out and then I'll take on these bosses. Also at one of those headless enemies in abandoned dungeon. But feel much better with fighting enemies now. Am sure I'll get rocked by these 2 bosses though.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans

It's probably their hardest game unless you've truly mastered the combat mechanics. I was shaking after beating the final boss after what seemed endless attempts. Some of the minibosses are ridiculous as well.

Baneofthegame

It's probably their hardest game unless you've truly mastered the combat mechanics. I was shaking after beating the final boss after what seemed endless attempts. Some of the minibosses are ridiculous as well.
agree completely, feel like you have to master the parrying, which I imagine when you do makes you feel like a god.

Bosws87

The parrying isn't too bad once you get the rhythm its nowhere near as hard as you first expect when you begin, it was always the unblockable attacks that threw me off jumping/dodging them.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
The parrying is easy enough in general. The hard parts are knowing when to mikiri counter vs the double jump or just attacks you flat out need to run away from, also if an enemy can build up your posture really quickly, you can’t just rely on parry. The 2nd owl fight was a bastard for that.

largelyworried

The parrying is easy enough in general. The hard parts are knowing when to mikiri counter vs the double jump or just attacks you flat out need to run away from, also if an enemy can build up your posture really quickly, you can’t just rely on parry. The 2nd owl fight was a bastard for that.
An enemy can never break your posture if you successfully parry, even if your posture bar is full, which the late game bosses are kind of designed around. You just have to get used to being sat there with a full posture bar.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

Ishin is very hard, but also very fair. After beating Sekiro a few times I can basically beat him blindfolded. Not an e-peen flex, Im not a oro gamer by any means, he just doesnt have bullshit stuff you cant react to or anticipate.

That's my main problen with some of Elden Ring, mainly the gankbkss fights. They're unfair.

Baneofthegame

Ishin is very hard, but also very fair. After beating Sekiro a few times I can basically beat him blindfolded. Not an e-peen flex, Im not a oro gamer by any means, he just doesnt have bullshit stuff you cant react to or anticipate.

That's my main problen with some of Elden Ring, mainly the gankbkss fights. They're unfair.
Yeah I mean first attempt of Isshin seemed impossible and I used the cheese of run away slash him first try as he just seemed overwhelming at the time, might revisit it now that I’ve got the platinum for Elden ring.

Feel like the Ashes offset the difficulty in any boss to be fair.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Yeah I mean first attempt of Isshin seemed impossible and I used the cheese of run away slash him first try as he just seemed overwhelming at the time, might revisit it now that I’ve got the platinum for Elden ring.

Feel like the Ashes offset the difficulty in any boss to be fair.
Yeah they do, but the purist in me wants to fight everything solo and Elden Ring at times seems balanced around having at least 1 partner in the fight to occassionally draw aggro.

Of course all bosses have been beaten by a naked lvl 1 dude with a wooden plank so it's not impossible.

Ainu

The Demon of Hatred what the actual feck.
Yup, he's a Bloodborne boss. The only way I ever dealt with him was to fight incredibly defensively. No parrying, just getting the feck away from it and punishing very select attacks. It was always a marathon for me, but with a bit of patience, it is possible to beat him consistently.

Or you can cheese him off a cliff.

Massive Spanner

Yup, he's a Bloodborne boss. The only way I ever dealt with him was to fight incredibly defensively. No parrying, just getting the feck away from it and punishing very select attacks. It was always a marathon for me, but with a bit of patience, it is possible to beat him consistently.

Or you can cheese him off a cliff.
He sucks. I'm surprised you can go defensive. He seems Bloodborne to me in that you need to constantly go under him. I've gotten to the second stage a few times and if I end up long range at all his long hit attacks ruin me.

He's an awful fight to be honest, so out of place in the game.

Massive Spanner

People can feck off with their unfair Elden Ring fights. There isn't a single one in it as bullshit as this :lol:

Ainu

He sucks. I'm surprised you can go defensive. He seems Bloodborne to me in that you need to constantly go under him. I've gotten to the second stage a few times and if I end up long range at all his long hit attacks ruin me.

He's an awful fight to be honest, so out of place in the game.
It's been a while, so I don't remember his attacks exactly, just that I stayed well away most of the time. I meant more Bloodborne in the sense that I didn't parry at all, which is a big departure from the Sekiro style of combat. I don't think he's unfair, though. When I did another playthrough immediately after my first, I one-shotted him by just playing with the same defensive style I beat him with the first time around. So that indicates a fair fight to me. I fecking hated it while I was learning it, though. :lol:

Massive Spanner

It's been a while, so I don't remember his attacks exactly, just that I stayed well away most of the time. I meant more Bloodborne in the sense that I didn't parry at all, which is a big departure from the Sekiro style of combat. I don't think he's unfair, though. When I did another playthrough immediately after my first, I one-shotted him by just playing with the same defensive style I beat him with the first time around. So that indicates a fair fight to me. I fecking hated it while I was learning it, though. :lol:
Damn, fair enough, I honestly don't know how you'd fight him that safe. Feels like all his attacks are designed so you need to get close constantly and dodge his stomps and such. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. I'm 20+ attempts in and still haven't even gotten past the 2nd phase :lol:

Massive Spanner

Got him. 3rd phase was first time, thank feck. It was a lot easier when I used the fire umbrella. Fecking cnut.

bosnian_red

Beat Genichiro Ashina on my 3rd try! Almost beat him on 1st try but forgot to jump for the lightning. 2nd try just did shit. 3rd try beat him. I remember struggling through this fight last time too, but really not to bad. Just learn how to deflect and little dodges before attacking and it's pretty easy.

Massive Spanner

Beat Genichiro Ashina on my 3rd try! Almost beat him on 1st try but forgot to jump for the lightning. 2nd try just did shit. 3rd try beat him. I remember struggling through this fight last time too, but really not to bad. Just learn how to deflect and little dodges before attacking and it's pretty easy.
Wow nice. He took me a veeeery long time. But I enjoyed it. He forces you to learn all the main mechanics of the game and is a real "git gud".

Last boss is so damn tough, but seems fair. It's really annoying having to fight Genichiro first every time though

bosnian_red

Wow nice. He took me a veeeery long time. But I enjoyed it. He forces you to learn all the main mechanics of the game and is a real "git gud".

Last boss is so damn tough, but seems fair. It's really annoying having to fight Genichiro first every time though
Yep! Surprisingly didn't find it too bad. First time through the game I remember I struggled. But probably played through it trying to cheese more than "get good". My get good enemy was that purple cloaked knight guarding the mist raven prosthetic in the Hirata Estate who kicked my ass for hours I guess!

Edit: Just beat lady butterfly first try too! Haven't had to use prosthetics on the bosses yet

Last edited:

Massive Spanner

Finished it!

Last boss battle was fantastic and again once I had it figured out after endless deaths I smashed him by the end, love that.

I'd still put it a tier below Bloodborne and even Elden Ring. For all the complaining of rehashing bosses in Elden Ring, this is just as bad with even less variety, so many repeats of the same boss and very little memorable encounters with regular enemies either. The magic of Bloodborne was that almost every area and enemy encounter felt unique and needed its own strategy whereas this felt very samey outside of the really major boss battles, which were incredible, especially Genichiro and the last boss. Still, the combat is amazing and I'd absolutely love a sequel. I also never came close to giving up either of the other two whereas some of the bosses on this nearly fecking broke me!

bosnian_red

I'm much better at this game this time around. Definitely tried to cheese the game last time and don't properly learn how to play. Got past the Owl without too many issues. In fountainhead palace now.

SuperiorXI

So I'm a few hours in and this seems definitely more brutal and punishing than other FromSoftware games especially in the sense that you must learn the different functions and use them all together. I'm about 4 hours in and have just beaten Gyoubu on the second try. Feel like I'm getting the hang of it... Lady Butterfly I've left to come back later, she seems too strong for me, am I right to think that? I did the estate as soon as it became available.

I like the deflecting tactic, basically if you don't use it you're going to die as enemies hit very hard in this game.

It definitely requires a different approach to other FS games, I'm basically trying to stealth everything as that seems to be how the game was designed.

bosnian_red

Made it to the last fight and got to Isshin. Didn't pay a finger on him though.

Also fecked up the game progress and didn't do the bit to unlock fighting the Owl in Hirata. Just standard game progress.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
The only souls game I’ve never played, finally got round to getting it. Looking forward to getting my ass kicked

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
The only souls game I’ve never played, finally got round to getting it. Looking forward to getting my ass kicked
My GF has been playing it, and although it's amusing to hear her rant and make weird angry noises, she is absolutely kicking it's arse.

She insists not, but I'm convinced she has secretly been watching YT tutorials on the bosses! She just seems to beat them way too quickly, though she also absolutely smashed Elden Ring too without any OP builds, so maybe I just have to accept she's surpassed me :lol:

I've now started Sekiro again, it's great. Shame the engine sucks balls, and still have all the same gripes I did before, but I like the game more now with time. Have fun!