Selling Lukaku...

RashyForPM

Glad he's gone. Was a self absorbed twat. Remember a bust up between him and Ashley Williams at Everton also. Williams was having a go at him for not trying hard enough and Lukaku couldn't have give 2 fecks.
Tbf, as the top scorer of a non-top team like Everton and 2nd top scorer in the PL, I’d struggle to accept criticism off Ashley Williams too. Would you take criticism off a subordinate who is shite at his job, when he of all people is essentially accusing you of gross negligence? I’d laugh in his face and tell him to do one.

For the record, I’m glad Lukaku’s gone to Inter. Mutually beneficial deal.

starman

Tbf, as the top scorer of a non-top team like Everton and 2nd top scorer in the PL, I’d struggle to accept criticism off Ashley Williams too. Would you take criticism off a subordinate who is shite at his job, when he of all people is essentially accusing you of gross negligence? I’d laugh in his face and tell him to do one.

For the record, I’m glad Lukaku’s gone to Inter. Mutually beneficial deal.
That's the 2012/13 League Cup winner you are talking about, Lukaku could only dream of such a trophy

RashyForPM

That's the 2012/13 League Cup winner you are talking about, Lukaku could only dream of such a trophy
How dare you?! Lukaku has a Super Cup 2013 silver medal after he missed the decisive penalty!

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
People can keep saying this until they're blue in the face but it still won't make it true, whether you like his plan or not is up to you but he very clearly has an idea of how he wants to play and Lukaku would stick out like a sore thumb in this team.
How would he stick out in our current set up?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
How would he stick out in our current set up?
His build up play was appalling, he couldn’t hold the ball up to save his life and he only ever wanted the ball in front of him. Pretty much the polar opposite to what Martial and Cavani have had to provide.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
What have we gained with his departure that makes it a "good decision"?
Tons of money would be my first response. Better, fluid attacking play & more likable squad overall are also some of the points that come to mind.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Also made room for Greenwood in the squad and allowed Rashford and Martial to grow, all of whom are better players that Lukaku
Just because you prefer these guys to Lukaku doesn't necessarily make them better players, I think you and I both know his record across various stages.

Looks like a curious decision in hindsight. I remember how folks were going on about his technical limitations affecting our play but its not like Ole had grand plans for our football. I suspect some man management could have gone some way in keeping the big guy around.
You were sat watching United last night, and started yearning for Lukaku. :houllier:

Very very strange...

As everyone else has said, no way. You must be one of a tiny fraction of people who think we should have kept him.

Lukaku is the player version of David Moyes. Never good enough, and talks shit.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
His build up play was appalling, he couldn’t hold the ball up to save his life and he only ever wanted the ball in front of him. Pretty much the polar opposite to what Martial and Cavani have had to provide.
Tons of money would be my first response. Better, fluid attacking play & more likable squad overall are also some of the points that come to mind.
I don't see Lukaku to be as detrimental on the pitch as some of you guys. Off it, I think he needed some man management that Ole was not willing to do I reckon considering all the managers the big guy has performed for.

Stacks

Would never miss this fool. I have zero respect for him and neither like him as a player nor a person. He's not my type of character nor player. I never thought he would be as arrogant as he was but I guess when you have been hyped up since 17 and scored many goals, you will probably think you are the shit. I don't hope he fails. I hope he does ok (goalwise). I just have a theory that no top team should have Lukaku as their lead attacker

Tarrou

Looks like a curious decision in hindsight. I remember how folks were going on about his technical limitations affecting our play but its not like Ole had grand plans for our football. I suspect some man management could have gone some way in keeping the big guy around.
the guy who said he dreamed of leaving United since he's second game or something?

he was shite too

tomaldinho1

What have we gained with his departure that makes it a "good decision"?
A vastly better dressing room from what we can make out & we wouldn't have signed Cavani if he was still here. He'll always be on that cusp below truly elite level for me - he would suit the right system but not ours.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
A vastly better dressing room from what we can make out & we wouldn't have signed Cavani if he was still here. He'll always be on that cusp below truly elite level for me - he would suit the right system but not ours.
Some man management would have helped, Lukaku has played for a disparate bunch of managers. What system of ours that he doesn't suit?

starman

Just because you prefer these guys to Lukaku doesn't necessarily make them better players, I think you and I both know his record across various stages.
No they are better footballers in the literal sense, as in they are a more talented and have a higher ceiling.

If you want to talk about records, Rashord has more assists and goals than Lukaku at 23.

Martial outscored Lukaku (at United) in the PL in his first season he was consistently played upfront.

Lukaku was still in Chelsea reserves at 17 when Greenwood started banging in the goals.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
No they are better footballers in the literal sense, as in they are a more talented and have a higher ceiling.

If you want to talk about records, Rashord has more assists and goals than Lukaku at 23.

Martial outscored Lukaku (at United) in the PL in his first season he was consistently played upfront.

Lukaku was still in Chelsea reserves at 17 when Greenwood started banging in the goals.
Impressive stuff. I could get pedantic but my original opinion was never in comparing these players.

tomaldinho1

Some man management would have helped, Lukaku has played for a disparate bunch of managers. What system is ours that he doesn't suit?
I'd say we must be near the top of distance covered for attackers, Ole's front three + Bruno need to be mobile and non stop. That constant run peeling into the CB/FB channel or running behind an advanced FB just doesn't suit Lukaku for 90mins & neither does having the ball fizzed into his feet which is definitely a tactic we're trying in order to move play up the pitch. Basically we have become super direct and extremely careless with possession (in a deliberate way) because we just want to get the ball into a shooting position as soon as possible, turnover possession, win it back and go straight up the pitch again. For a big guy, without the best touch and who is not the most agile, it's not ideal - he'd still score goals in our system but we'd be a weaker team for his lack of pressing as well.

If Ole woke up tomorrow and decided he was going to play two up top and add a bit more offensive possession/positional play into our game, I think he'd go from being rubbish to a great option but that's just not what's happening. He works well with Martinez at Inter and he also generally just has more time on the ball, a slower less frantic game and he's doing well albeit in a league where I do think it's a bit of an early retirement home for the greats. He's a bit out of place (i.e in his prime) when you think he's competing with CR7 and Ibra for the golden boot, should be in the PL or LL.

Machine Elements

Is there anyone who still thinks that we should've kept him? Really? Maybe the best thing Ole's done in shaping the squad was getting rid of this big time Charlie. Lukaku is a player who shouldn't have been signed in the first place let alone being kept. And the only reason we did sign him was there was no top strikers in the market with the likes of Belotti & Morata being the best of the other options. Paying £75m for him was a joke that showed the lack of individual quality in football. Probably the worst buy in terms of money (barring Maguire obviously) in the recent history of the club.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
While I was happy with his efforts and as an overall excellent player for the team, we look alot more fluid and fit together better since his departure. We've improved as a unit better and learned more about how we should play as well as what type of cfwd we are best with. Bless Lukaku and his size 13 boots power :lol: . Forever a G in my book for that night in Paris :D:D

While I was happy with his efforts and as an overall excellent player for the team, we look alot more fluid and fit together better since his departure. We've improved as a unit better and learned more about how we should play as well as what type of cfwd we are best with. Bless Lukaku and his size 13 boots power :lol: . Forever a G in my book for that night in Paris :D:D
efforts? You mean at the all you can eat buffet?

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Time reveals everything. I remember when Lukaku was regarded as a top youth talent. That wonderkid from Anderlecht that Chelsea were tracking.

For what it’s worth, I think he suits the route one approach very well, when the ball is passed long and in front of him. I don’t think he does well when required to play in quick transitions from defence to attack. His stamina isn’t the best, at least during the time he spent with us. And obviously his first touch remains suspect.

starman

Impressive stuff. I could get pedantic but my original opinion was never in comparing these players.
Well what's your opinion than? Forgo 70m and just keep him for the sake of it even though he's no better than any of our current 4 forwards..

Last edited:

davidmichael

The thought of wanting to go back to days of Lukaku, Fellaini and Young is like wanting to go back and have your worst nightmare play out in real life.

Yes he scores goals but his first touch, hold up play and footballing I.Q in general is awful and he’s one of the poster children for everything that was wrong at United post Sir Alex.