Semi-Finals: Italy vs Spain | England vs Denmark

Real Name

Yeah, no doubt about that one for me either. But the fact that VAR is in effect, that's as much on the ref's as anyone. All teams and players look to make advantages for their teams where possible. The bigger issue is that none of the officials spotted 2 balls on the pitch at the same time surely!

The officiating was appalling last night, for the first time this tournament. Kane should have had a penalty (and certainly wasn't a dive), Maguire booking was ridiculous, Denmark's free-kick for the goal was soft/broke new laws regarding players in wall, and that's all before the Sterling/penalty incident.

It felt all day long like one of those games where a poor decision was going to swing it one way or another, just glad it went the way of the team who deserved it in spite of the above.
Yeah, I dont know why ref didnt go check the VAR himself to be sure. I remember WC 2018 final and Perišić penalty incident for handball. Ref was watching the screen for 15 minutes or it seemed to be so long. It's too big of a stage to depend only on VAR and I really dont know what the guys in VAR room were watching.

I dont remember Maguire header and about Kane incident, it was more of a pen than Sterling one although both incidents weren't pens cause the Kane one was the slightest of the touches.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Apparently the Denmark goal shouldn't have stood.

FIFA rules state that: "Where three or more defending team players form a 'wall,' all attacking team players must remain at least 1 metre (1 yard) from the 'wall' until the ball is in play."

Which they apparently did not do.

Everyone going to be up in arms about that right? It's surely as relevant as a second football being on the pitch?
You can't be serious. Almost every game attacking team players are standing next to the wall. It's just 1m and there is no way to tell it wasn't 1m. Also ref fails to call this out every game.

This news is apparently from Birmingham mail. Not very surprising now is it. Need to find excuse to say hey everyone cheats so Sterling dived.

Wilt

MOURINHO on TalkSport ”It was never a penalty! The best team won, England deserved to win, they were fantastic”

the above should get everyone agreeing it was a penalty

Marwood

What really stood out to me was how efficiently they 'hid' the ball from the Danes by simply passing it around, in a calm and composed way. I know Denmark were down to ten men at that point but still, in my lifetime no England team could maintain possession so effectively in such a high-pressure game.
Yeah agree. Lot of that down to the CB's. Probably the best on the ball pair we've had.

That and Sterlings running the highlights.

I still think we could be so much better. Grealish for Mount and Sancho on the right. In an attacking sense we're a different animal then.

croadyman

Found it so weird how our semi final comeback last night was eerily similar to Croatia's in 2018, going behind to a quality free kick in the first half and scoring an extra time winner to make it 2-1

Demyanenko_square_jaw

other than a good 15-20 minute part of the first half England were the better side and deserved the win. Denmark looked tired and faded badly in the second half and their lack of depth showed with some of the subs quality, i've not liked the setup for this tournament at all with some teams having to travel far more. A traditional setup with only the one or two hosts having an advantage is superior.

Overall a very average game in terms of quality.

0le

other than a good 15-20 minute part of the first half England were the better side and deserved the win. Denmark looked tired and faded badly in the second half and their lack of depth showed with some of the subs quality, i've not liked the setup for this tournament at all with some teams having to travel far more. A traditional setup with only the one or two hosts having an advantage is superior.

Overall a very average game in terms of quality.
Yup agreed, very average game but very over the top (and memorable) rants from users that day, particularly from those who talked about corruption :D

TheReligion

Abusive
You can't be serious. Almost every game attacking team players are standing next to the wall. It's just 1m and there is no way to tell it wasn't 1m. Also ref fails to call this out every game.

This news is apparently from Birmingham mail. Not very surprising now is it. Need to find excuse to say hey everyone cheats so Sterling dived.
Ahh I see. The rules are only the rules when it suits.

Makes perfect sense

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Ahh I see. The rules are only the rules when it suits.

Makes perfect sense
Please tell me how can you be so sure they aren't 1m away looking at the picture? 1m is so small distance that there is no way anyone could measure that by looking at that camera angle. As far as blocking the sight of GK is concerned, that's allowed and happens every single time.

Rules do matter but that is some random newspaper using a rule which not a single one of us were aware before and just to cover England's controversial penalty, used a shady picture to come to conclusion that it is violating it. When that has failed, twitter timeline is filled with English journalist who are claiming how it was fouled and explaining laws of physics to the uninitiated. Its must feel good to finally use their Physics PhD degree for some good use.

Reality is Sterling dived and it happens. Those of us who aren't English ( to be fair a lot of English people are also agreeing) are pointing out that English team is full of cheaters just like other countries. That has become problem on this forum. This staunch denial that their own could do no wrong is just laughable.

By the way Sterling and Kane have been called cheaters on this forum multiple times. Not sure why this one is different.

TheReligion

Abusive
Please tell me how can you be so sure they aren't 1m away looking at the picture? 1m is so small distance that there is no way anyone could measure that by looking at that camera angle. As far as blocking the sight of GK is concerned, that's allowed and happens every single time.

Rules do matter but that is some random newspaper using a rule which not a single one of us were aware before and just to cover England's controversial penalty, used a shady picture to come to conclusion that it is violating it. When that has failed, twitter timeline is filled with English journalist who are claiming how it was fouled and explaining laws of physics to the uninitiated. Its must feel good to finally use their Physics PhD degree for some good use.

Reality is Sterling dived and it happens. Those of us who aren't English ( to be fair a lot of English people are also agreeing) are pointing out that English team is full of cheaters just like other countries. That has become problem on this forum. This staunch denial that their own could do no wrong is just laughable.

By the way Sterling and Kane have been called cheaters on this forum multiple times. Not sure why this one is different.
I think it's ridiculous how up in arms some of you lot are about the penalty. The ref made some questionable decisions against both teams over the course of the night and these things happen. It was never a freekick for the Damsgaard goal for example. That's football. You have a moan about it and move on. Some here are that obsessed about England and bitter in their hatred the can't let it go. It's pretty pathetic.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!

People dive all the time and they will continue to do so if they're rewarded for it like Sterling. The problem is with the refs and var protocole.

And I wouldn't say this England squad particularly cheating type.