Serge Gnabry

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
A goalscoring wide forward, what's not to like.
And where exactly are our goals coming from next season ?
Ronaldo ? maybe Bruno but who else ?

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Signing someone in his peak actually makes sense for this position, think he's the perfect bridge before we expect one of the younger ones to step up more. We have a lot of young wingers with Rashford, Sancho, Elanga, Garnarcho, Diallo and Pellestri (the latter players who need loan spells) but nobody of Gnabry's profile.

matsdf

This would make so much sense for us, I hope we at least give it a try.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
Unfortunately there's no financial crisis that could help facilitate us getting an opportunity for a transfer like this.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
No idea, and depending on how much it is exactly, I'm also not sure if it would be smart. As I said, it's a very stupid problem to have brought upon oneself. But I also think the ship on 'smart' wages at Bayern has sailed; our wages are among Europe's top 3 already, so obviously players' expectations are set and we pay or they leave.
The argument about "ruining wage levels by overpaying for player XYZ" is exaggerated. Bayern is hardly the only club, where top players run down their contract.

Anyway, if the reporting is correct, he'd end up on more money than Sane. I doubt that anyone else would pay him more than Bayern does (compared to players like Lewa or Alaba, who have/had more lucrative offers). Gnabry's performances vary considerably. He is an efficient player. When he is "on", he is great, but he plays on that level for one in three games. When he doesn't score, he often contributes very little. There are at best a handful of game where he played really well when he doesn't score/assist.
Sane didn't live up to what was expected and probably hasn't justified the investment, but his scoring record isn't any worse and he frequently contributes more even when he doesn't score/assists.

I am all for players trying to get the best deal and I don't hold a grudge against players looking for alternatives. More power to them. The current offer seems to be around 15-20 million/year; if thats not enough, I don't mind him leaving at all. He is replaceable.

------
He is getting a bit overrated here due to his cl performances against the British teams in a season where Bayern mauled some of their opponents in the CL.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Yeah but isn't this something we want to avoid in the future?
What, paying players well? I think people have misunderstood this whole wage thing. Our ‘wage structure’ isn’t a problem. Fortunately, we have a lot of money, and will pay our better players well. The main concern is what we get in return for our money, which has been a problem, but why would a super club be against paying top wages? We are not Everton.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
What, paying players well? I think people have misunderstood this whole wage thing. Our ‘wage structure’ isn’t a problem. Fortunately, we have a lot of money, and will pay our better players well. The main concern is what we get in return for our money, which has been a problem, but why would a super club be against paying top wages? We are not Everton.
I like Gnabry, and feel free to disagree, but I don't see him as a £350k+/pw player

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I like Gnabry, and feel free to disagree, but I don't see him as a £350k+/pw player
That’s not an unreasonable view in and of itself. I was speaking about this notion that we need to get away from paying high wages as some sort of rule.

copen1945

Gnabry and Neymar upfront, with Frenkie and Bruno behind them, should be good. We should score a bunch.

Cerberus

With Ronaldo going, we should go all in for him. I was wary at first due to the wage demands, but with Ronaldo's wages freed up we don't have much of a choice now.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think I’m more interested in someone like Gnabry, Nkunku*, Dybala, Felix etc. being our Ronaldo “replacement” than an out and out no.9 as I just feel the options out there are average at best and terrible at worst.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Ffs
Unsure if I buy this. They brought Grealish in for 100m without offloading anyone. They then bought Haaland. So they actually can lose 2 forwards players without any issue.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Ffs
They're adding Haaland and Alvarez to replace Jesus and Sterling already. Doubt Gnabry goes there to be a bench player. Also doubt he comes here, but we could do much worse!

saik

Unsure if I buy this. They brought Grealish in for 100m without offloading anyone. They then bought Haaland. So they actually can lose 2 forwards players without any issue.
Not to mention they signed Julian Alvarez as well who can cover any of those attacking positions if I'm not wrong.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
I think I’m more interested in someone like Gnabry, Nkunku*, Dybala, Felix etc. being our Ronaldo “replacement” than an out and out no.9 as I just feel the options out there are average at best and terrible at worst.
We certainly need more options. I still want a pure 9. Scamacca and Gnabry would be the dream for me.

saik

They're adding Haaland and Alvarez to replace Jesus and Sterling already. Doubt Gnabry goes there to be a bench player. Also doubt he comes here, but we could do much worse!
Would very much prefer Gnabry to Dembele if our options come down to those for our right wing.

DevilRed

Decent player.

Let see if he is better here the second time around though. Or if he will go the way of alot of overhyped bundesliga players in the prem.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
We certainly need more options. I still want a pure 9. Scamacca and Gnabry would be the dream for me.
I think I’ll pass on some Italian league lump for 50m.

Status
Not open for further replies.