Sergej Milinković-Savić

worldinmotion66

Looks a totally legit link. And Eriksen makes more sense at the 10 or on the wing as things stand.
It could well be, of course. But I just don't see it, even if we've given up on de Jong. I think this is us putting something out to the media to put pressure on barca. I guess time will tell.

For what it's worth, I think Eriksen should be the 10. But we need a player in the midfield that can get the ball to him with some regularity. I don't think SMS is that player. I think we want a more disciplined, press resistent ball carrier/passer and a presser alongside him that also breaks forward (which is about the only thing Fred and mctominay are both capable of)

C'est Moi Cantona

I get it now, no one would have been that fussed about Savic last week, but threaten us with Rabiot and Arnautovic for a while before and it's a dream signing all of a sudden.

Kag

Burt, like lots of other journalists, are being taken for a ride by agents at our expense.

Us losing yesterday was the dream scenario for everyone apart from us.

HookedOnAPhelan

I get it now, no one would have been that fussed about Savic last week, but threaten us with Rabiot and Arnautovic for a while before and it's a dream signing all of a sudden.
:lol:

Personally I would love him. Excellent box-to-box player and a massive improvement on both Fred and McTominay in every way, but we would still need a deep midfielder obviously. FdJ and SMS would be a dream.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Malacia - £18M
Martinez - £45M
Frenkie - £65M (if it happens)
Rabiot - £12M
Arnautovic - £12M
SMS - £50M
Guido - £20M

So far exceeding £120M if all goes through

Were we though? All summer it was quoted that we had maybe £120m to spend. We spent all summer chasing a target who has no intention of joining us... Seems like exactly the sort of thing the owners would do to make it look like they tried.

In the meantime we spent about £80m and now we're looking at players around £30m for both (Rabiot and Arnautovic) leaving us with a spend of around £110m with £10m to play with if they demand a bit more.

So £120m spend rough total. Just as we were told all along.

If we spend much more than this then I'll happily admit that I was wrong.

meamth

He is like the size of McT but with actual composure and skills of a midfielder.

Sign him up.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I would say yes. Under Sarri he changed from the pogba-esque Hollywood player who drifted in and out of games to a functional and tidier central midfielder.
Thank you. Could be a tidy player for us then.

STYLOISRED

:lol:

Personally I would love him. Excellent box-to-box player and a massive improvement on both Fred and McTominay in every way, but we would still need a deep midfielder obviously. FdJ and SMS would be a dream.
I don't think DeJong and SMS will work. They are both ball carriers albeit DeJong plays deeper. The dream for me would be a midfield 3 of Ericksen as playmaker, SMS as box to box and a pure sitting DM

FatTails

We’d have a decent team I must say

De Gea
Fred - Maguire - Martinez - Malacia
SMS - Guido - Rabiot
Sancho - McTominay - Bruno​

izec

We aren’t signing rabiot, SMS and FDJ.
It is one of Rabiot/Guido and FDJ/SMS at best. Even SMS is not really a Frenkie replacement, not sure it makes sense. Money wise, we are not signing 2 midfielders over 50m anyway.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
A United signing I’d actually be jealous of.

saik

We’d have a decent team I must say

De Gea
Fred - Maguire - Martinez - Malacia
SMS - Guido - Rabiot
Sancho - McTominay - Bruno​
Fred RB??? :confused:

Edit : Hit enter too soon. McT as striker? What is that abomination....

EtH

Burt, like lots of other journalists, are being taken for a ride by agents at our expense.

Us losing yesterday was the dream scenario for everyone apart from us.
How can you be so sure ? I don’t know what’s what anymore online I swear.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
It is one of Rabiot/Guido and FDJ/SMS at best. Even SMS is not really a Frenkie replacement, not sure it makes sense.
SMS would play the Mctominay role - FDJ the Fred. So SMS as a FDJ alternative doesn’t make sense. However, if Rabiot is the FDJ alternative then it means we have funds for SMS I assume. FDJ plus SMS would be a cracking midfield though.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Nah. We don't need someone who is effectively an attacking midfielder. He doesn't do much defensively. He isn't a playmaker. He's the most "free" midfielder in a 3 like what Pogba needed. Just without the passing qualities

flappyjay

He makes sense if we are switching to a 4 3 3 and we also sign Guido or Rabiot to be the dm.

HookedOnAPhelan

I don't think DeJong and SMS will work. They are both ball carriers albeit DeJong plays deeper. The dream for me would be a midfield 3 of Ericksen as playmaker, SMS as box to box and a pure sitting DM
SMS would obviously play the role McTominay played vs. Brighton, and FdJ would play the Fred role. Doesn't seem like Ten Hag wants to play a midfield 3.

Would it be balanced enough though? Not sure. But it would be two massive improvements on what we have in those roles right now.

Canagel

Attacking 8 who loves to get forward and does his best work in the final third. Would be a really smart signing when we already have Fernandes and Eriksen in the team.
Bruno isnt good enough. And Eriksen is better deeper. We still need 2 midfielders, one deep lying and one box to box/attack minded to replace Pogba and Matic.

STYLOISRED

SMS would obviously play the role McTominay played vs. Brighton, and FdJ would play the Fred role. Doesn't seem like Ten Hag wants to play a midfield 3.

Would it be balanced enough though? Not sure. But it would be two massive improvements on what we have in those roles right now.
A double pivot of DeJong and SMS would be suicide.
Madrid tried something similarly years back with Modric and Kroos. Didn't end well.

Loony BoB

Without looking, I bet he has better stats than FDJ? Creatively and in terms of goals. Not seen him for a while but he can score with both feet from outside the box.
Last season: For goals, assists he's comfortably better than de Jong, yes. Chances created, on par. Serie A is a lower quality/intensity league as far as I'm aware, though. de Jong trounces SMS in pass accuracy. Basically sums up their difference in playstyles.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Without looking, I bet he has better stats than FDJ? Creatively and in terms of goals. Not seen him for a while but he can score with both feet from outside the box.
He's a midfielder who defensively in the past year hasn't done much (analytics wise before last year he seemed to be involved a lot more not sure what changed), whose main strength is his shooting ability and getting in chances, is as careless as Bruno with the ball without being particularly creative or progressive with his passing and nothing special at running with it.

He's tall and strong so people have a misconception as to what type of player he is I think.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
A double pivot of DeJong and SMS would be suicide.
Madrid tried something similarly years back with Modric and Kroos. Didn't end well.
De Jong isn't coming. It will be Rabiot and Milinkovic-Savic.

Have we finally walked away from De Jong then?
Looks like it. Funny how we're reportedly looking to pay £20m for Rabiot or Guido Rodriguez and £50 for Milinkovic-Savic, which strangely enough is the same as the £70m we had agreed to pay Barcelona for De Jong.

Clearly De Jong isn't coming and we've decided to reallocate the funds.