Sergej Milinkovic Savic

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
SMS can defend also. He is a ball winner and can carry it too.
I know that but of the two Herrera is the more defensive. SMS is someone I’ve kept tabs on this year so I’m more familiar with his overall game.

As I said I’d be very happy if we got him but I don’t think he’d be sitting covering Pogba like Herrera did.

He’s an excellent tackler, dribbler and decent passer for his size. He’s also the perfect player if we are pressing high as he can win aerial duels too so when a long ball is hit he can bring it down or get a knockdown.

Stacks

All regular Serie A watchers thinks this guy is a very good player. Most caf posters who watched a few games of his from World Cup insist that he is shit. Who should I believe in?
combination of poor world cup, lacklustre season just gone and the fact his career stats don't live up to the hype but he was midfielder of the year last season so............

Mainoldo

I still don’t see If this is true what it has to do with Pogba. We need midfielders anyway. It would be insane to just get him and lose Pogba. Pogba will have to stay too.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
combination of poor world cup, lacklustre season just gone and the fact his career stats don't live up to the hype but he was midfielder of the year last season so............
Lacklustre season? Is that your opinion because if so you clearly haven’t seen much of him this year.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Seeing as we put the brakes on a Bruno deal, this one looks like a goer if Pogba leaves.
Is this one dependent upon Pogba leaving, and not a partner for him..?

izec

Is this one dependent upon Pogba leaving, and not a partner for him..?
i dont see them together, no. Our midfield would get overrun, since both are stronger going forward than defensively. They can put a shift in, but once we lose the ball going forward, we'd be open to get picked apart

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
i dont see them together, no. Our midfield would get overrun, since both are stronger going forward than defensively. They can put a shift in, but once we lose the ball going forward, we'd be open to get picked apart
Milenkovic is very good defensively. With a DM they’d be fine and would probably work well together.

izec

Milenkovic is very good defensively. With a DM they’d be fine and would probably work well together.
We dont have that DM. Pogba and Savic in midfield together would be easy to play against offensively. We would get picked apart by any half decent technical team. They of course have their offensive qualities, but we arent that dominant to have them both together with our lack of options at DM and no new CB.

Stacks

Lacklustre season? Is that your opinion because if so you clearly haven’t seen much of him this year.
maybe I didn't articulate myself properly. I stated he won midfielder of the year as an individual so it is more of his individual numbers Goals etc, paled in comparison to his previous years, so to those who do not watch Serie A, will have an opinion that he isn't doing bits, when in fact he was voted Midfielder of the year so must've played well at least

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He gets far less effective the deeper in midfield he goes. Think of him as a more technical version of Fellaini

Ikon

Yes imo. Pogba can only really function at his best with two defensively good CMs and Savic is not that.
That could explain why Pogba is seemingly happy to be on our tour, if he already knows that the deal to Real Madrid will happen.
United would presumably be about £80m in credit by trading places of Pogba for SMS....and we would still need 2 MFs, although I think that Ole is now hinting that McT is the Herrera replacement.

Sparky Rhiwabon

That could explain why Pogba is seemingly happy to be on our tour, if he already knows that the deal to Real Madrid will happen.
United would presumably be about £80m in credit by trading places of Pogba for SMS....and we would still need 2 MFs, although I think that Ole is now hinting that McT is the Herrera replacement.
Yeah that's what I was thinking.

jesperjaap

Strange most people really seem to want Fernandes and most posters seem to think SMS is actually pretty poor. I would maybe wrongly expect most UK fans havent watched a lot of either, I know I havent.

Does appear the people who have watched him most seem to really like him. Only really seen him in the world cup and 2/3 games and was pretty underwhelmed but then again Hamsik years ago was rubbish in Euros and he was a very good player, so cant form any judgements.

I do think we should be selling Pogba and replacing him though.....for me, replacing with 2 players with the type of fee we should be expecting. Would like a central midfielder and I think almost as importantly an anchor man too, and definately think Ascacibar would be ideal there

izec

Strange most people really seem to want Fernandes and most posters seem to think SMS is actually pretty poor. I would maybe wrongly expect most UK fans havent watched a lot of either, I know I havent.

Does appear the people who have watched him most seem to really like him. Only really seen him in the world cup and 2/3 games and was pretty underwhelmed but then again Hamsik years ago was rubbish in Euros and he was a very good player, so cant form any judgements.

I do think we should be selling Pogba and replacing him though.....for me, replacing with 2 players with the type of fee we should be expecting. Would like a central midfielder and I think almost as importantly an anchor man too, and definately think Ascacibar would be ideal there
Never going to happen. He wont move to a top club anytime soon.

Besides that, so many on here would turn on him for being Argie and spitting. He needs a good season next year to put himself on the map again. Looks like he will stay for the moment

jesperjaap

Never going to happen. He wont move to a top club anytime soon.

Besides that, so many on here would turn on him for being Argie and spitting. He needs a good season next year to put himself on the map again. Looks like he will stay for the moment
Well nobody seems to have been linked with him for quite a while now, which surprises me and agree not going to happen as we seem to never have been linked.

Devils advocate if we did sign him though, I agree people would be sceptical of another South American player....sadly, I dont think people would actually care about the spitting incident though.

I actually think he may still move this summer, but probably not to a top club. Is just my opinion, but I do think he would be perfect for us, have followed him as much as I can since the Olympics, I really like him a lot

jesperjaap

Really don't want either of SMS or Fernandes. Both will another one in our long list of purchases who are nowhere near the level we aspire to be.
I dont really know either of them enough to agree or disagree....but regardless, dont know if there was genuine interest from us or from him to come here without CL football, but NDombele seemed ideal, different player but seemed to perfect replacement for Pogba to me.

R'hllor

Regardless of your opinions about SMS, if they feel that Pogba will be gone next summer (due Real being able to gather the money required), wouldnt be maybe better to get replacement for him now, instead of next summer after Pogba leaves, God knows if teams know we are loaded, its rip.

Alemar

Why so many people want to replace Pogba? It will show absolute lack of ambition, and de Gea may also then decide against extending his contract.

We will then be facing seasons of mediocrity ahead, instead of investing in excellent players and building a stronger team.

With SMS, he can perfectly play with Pogba, as he is a better player than Andreas Pereira and Lingard

poleglass red

Pogba is starting the game today so he’s not going anywhere

Hopefully if Savic comes, it is to play with Paul
I find this whole issue strange. Pogba has played a part in all these games whereas Lukaku hasn't. I don't believe at all that Lukaku is so injured he couldn't have taken any part. It's more a case of they know they are selling him and don't want him getting injured, we've seen some of the crazy tackles in preseason games involving other teams. Considering Pogba would be our biggest sell price, they haven't felt the need to shield him. That could be taken as he's going nowhere, why risk an injury and all that. Could also be seen as showcasing his ability to Real one last time, although do teams really take notice of preseason friendly games form, hard to say. I think he still goes, I think it all hinges on what happens with Bale at Real. They seemed confident the other day that he'd be on his way, that's easier said than done considering his wages as we've seen with Sanchez.

Litch

I find this whole issue strange. Pogba has played a part in all these games whereas Lukaku hasn't. I don't believe at all that Lukaku is so injured he couldn't have taken any part. It's more a case of they know they are selling him and don't want him getting injured, we've seen some of the crazy tackles in preseason games involving other teams. Considering Pogba would be our biggest sell price, they haven't felt the need to shield him. That could be taken as he's going nowhere, why risk an injury and all that. Could also be seen as showcasing his ability to Real one last time, although do teams really take notice of preseason friendly games form, hard to say. I think he still goes, I think it all hinges on what happens with Bale at Real. They seemed confident the other day that he'd be on his way, that's easier said than done considering his wages as we've seen with Sanchez.
Make a good point as I'm not convinced Rom is injured too.

Bondi77

Normally I would like to watch a player a lot when we are looking at them and I did watch a few of his games in the season he was really good in and I watched all of his World Cup games and after that I stopped looking out for his games.
Even saying that I would love to see him at Utd because From what I have seen he does everything well and I am just really intrigued to see if he can make it in England and if he does I want it to be in a Utd shirt.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
If Pogba decides to work hard then a central midfield mde up of Mctominay-Pogba and SMS might work

Suv666

I'll happy if we sign him and Pogba stays. He'll be a massive downgrade on Pogba though, then again most midfilders would be.

Ikon

Of course, there is always the possibility that £80m credit could be taken as Gareth Bale coming in as part of the Pogba deal...!!

Alemar

Andreas Pereira is not great defensively, I think SMS will be an upgrade in this regard, and offensively he is definitely good

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
We dont have that DM. Pogba and Savic in midfield together would be easy to play against offensively. We would get picked apart by any half decent technical team. They of course have their offensive qualities, but we arent that dominant to have them both together with our lack of options at DM and no new CB.
We have McTominay and Matic who are more than capable defensively. Plus in a pressing team there isn’t one DM that does all the work. I think we’ll have to agree to disagree on this one but I do feel we need a better CB partner to solidify us more so than a DM.

maybe I didn't articulate myself properly. I stated he won midfielder of the year as an individual so it is more of his individual numbers Goals etc, paled in comparison to his previous years, so to those who do not watch Serie A, will have an opinion that he isn't doing bits, when in fact he was voted Midfielder of the year so must've played well at least
Fair enough. Stats wise it wasn’t his best but performance wise he’s been really good and consistent. Again having tracked him this year he’s one of the few CMs I’d be happy with at United right character etc whereas someone like Longstaff I don’t think is going to cut it.

He gets far less effective the deeper in midfield he goes. Think of him as a more technical version of Fellaini
Yes that’s true but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t do his defensive duties? Nobody in their right mind would play him at DM but between him Pogba and a Matic/McTominay we’d have more than enough defensively. I think it’s unfair to say he’s a technical Fellaini. Why because he’s tall and physical? Beyond that they are very different he dribbles, Fellaini didn’t, he can pass, Fellaini couldn’t I think it’s a bit derisory to compare the two and I liked Fellaini.

I do wonder who criticising SMS have seen him play often enough to form an opinion. I like the things I hear about Fernandes but I know I like what SMS can do.

You can’t ever really judge a player on national team alone especially when in a weaker side. But in Serie A there are few better than him and he’s arguably the best box to box available in that league.

He’s a good age, great determination in games and isn’t as hot and cold as others. I’d love to have him at the club

Fer

Do you prefer Milenkovic-Savic over Eriksen and Fernandes?