Sergej Milinkovic Savic

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
Argh, this is tough because the profile of players we should have signed in the “rebuild” are unobtainable in this market: Sancho/Romagnoli/Chiesa, have joined (or are about to join) other clubs: De Jong/Rodri/De Ligt, or are tied to loooong-term deals: Giménez/Florentino. Also, I thought José would be a good appointment and Morata was an appropriate striker target...among other gaffes, so I know nothing! Anyhow, here goes...

CB: Tah, DM: Roca, WF: wait for Sancho instead of wasting money, ST/forward: make a last minute bid for Griezmann...if he expectedly joins Barcelona, stick with Rashford and reassess in 2020.
Interesting you said Tah. He was actually one of the names I thought you might say! Looks like he will be brilliant. Can't say I know anything about Roca.
I agree about waiting for Sancho, think he'd be perfect. If Lukaku goes, which is likely, would you not consider bringing in backup for Rashford?

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Interesting you said Tah. He was actually one of the names I thought you might say! Looks like he will be brilliant. Can't say I know anything about Roca.
I agree about waiting for Sancho, think he'd be perfect. If Lukaku goes, which is likely, would you not consider bringing in backup for Rashford?
If we intend on deploying Rashford as the starting center forward, I think we should give Greenwood plenty of minutes as the backup center forward (the kid is turning 18 soon and should be ready for a bit-part first team role). With the medium term in mind, there's little point in signing an experienced player who will just hamper the latter's progression, unless said experienced player is of an exceptional standard (like Griezmann) and can make a genuine difference as the nominal starter over the next 3-4 years (in which case, Rashford/Greenwood would be backups for him or rotate in the wide attacking spots with Martial, James, Lingard). Would only make an exception for Dolberg from Ajax, who has hit the wall in a developmental sense — and wasn't a key factor in Ajax's European charge given the form of Tadić, but still boasts remarkably unique technical attributes that are reminiscent of the likes of Ibrahimović or Bergkamp — wouldn't mind a diamond-in-the-rough punt on him because if he manages to refine his game (big if given some of recent performances), he could be a world class 9½ over the coming decade.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
If we intend on deploying Rashford as the starting center forward, I think we should give Greenwood plenty of minutes as the backup center forward (the kid is turning 18 soon and should be ready for a bit-part first team role). With the medium term in mind, there's little point in signing an experienced player who will just hamper the latter's progression, unless said experienced player is of an exceptional standard (like Griezmann) and can make a genuine difference as the nominal starter over the next 3-4 years (in which case, Rashford/Greenwood would be backups for him or rotate in the wide attacking spots with Martial, James, Lingard). Would only make an exception for Dolberg from Ajax, who has hit the wall in a developmental sense — and wasn't a key factor in Ajax's European charge given the form of Tadić, but still boasts remarkably unique technical attributes that are reminiscent of the likes of Ibrahimović or Bergkamp — wouldn't mind a diamond-in-the-rough punt on him because if he manages to refine his game (big if given some of recent performances), he could be a world class 9½ over the coming decade.
If I was to guess, most of Greenwood’s games will come from the right next season. There’s nobody that’s really solidified that position so it’s not such a bad thing considering he can get game time there.

SteveW

If I was to guess, most of Greenwood’s games will come from the right next season. There’s nobody that’s really solidified that position so it’s not such a bad thing considering he can get game time there.
Greenwood can easily play and score regularly from anywhere across the front imo. That versatility will ensure he plays a lot. The right is the most obvious spot. Martial Rash Greenwood

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Both the tweets are deleted. What was that?
Were David Amoyal tweets with a link to Di Marzio's article stating United were ready to put down €80m for Savic but Lazio want €90m. He also described the player as a mix between Pogba and Diego Simeone.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Were David Amoyal tweets with a link to Di Marzio's article stating United were ready to put down €80m for Savic but Lazio want €90m. He also described the player as a mix between Pogba and Diego Simeone.
Thanks. Remember Di Marzio reporting that Lazio wants 100 million.

MUFC OK

I'd describe him as 'if Zidane was a brute..'

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Sorry back on Serg, do people think he fits in with Pogba - same debate as Bruno.
If we are talking about 2 seasons ago, it might be debatable since he used to play more in advanced role. I haven’t watch him at all last season but it looks like that he played more central last season, can’t really confirm this.

As for Bruno, he’s clearly more an attacking mid than Serg.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
So despite how people in here who probably just making assumption have been saying he had average season in 18/19. He actually won best midfielder Serie A last season based on Opta Sports & Netco Sports.

sherrinford

So despite how people in here who probably just making assumption have been saying he had average season in 18/19. He actually won best midfielder Serie A last season based on Opta Sports & Netco Sports.
Based on statistics - he was not voted the best midfielder by his peers or anything like that. He seemed to be lauded for final third contributions in comparison to other central midfielders, by those who are keen on stats. The consensus is that he wasn’t as good as the season prior - as was the case with Lazio in general - but that he had a different role, deeper in midfield. I caught quite a few games in 17/18 and he looked natural in an advanced no.8/ no.10 role, and a good player.

Ralph1386

Wouldn’t he be a good replacement for Herrera to play behind Pogba? He’s a complete midfielder who would complement Pogba better than Fernandes (who would be Paul’s direct replacement if he were to leave).

dev1l

Wouldn’t he be a good replacement for Herrera to play behind Pogba? He’s a complete midfielder who would complement Pogba better than Fernandes (who would be Paul’s direct replacement if he were to leave).
Not really.
My impression is that SMS would be a Pogba replacement alongside a Herrera type player (McTominay). Bruno would possibly replace Mata or Lingaard s role in today s game

sherrinford

If you were going to play Pogba and Milinkovic-Savic in the same team, Pogba would be the one playing in Herrera’s position behind Milinkovic-Savic.

R'hllor

Playing Pogba and him in the first XI would require monster of a DM imo.

sherrinford

Playing Pogba and him in the first XI would require monster of a DM imo.
It would need to be the right kind of player. The calibre would be no more important with Pogba and Milinkovic-Savic than with any other pair of midfielders.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
If we are talking about 2 seasons ago, it might be debatable since he used to play more in advanced role. I haven’t watch him at all last season but it looks like that he played more central last season, can’t really confirm this.

As for Bruno, he’s clearly more an attacking mid than Serg.
I guess the question is whether Serg is a better player deeper over the advanced role where he really got the hype.

TN61

Supports
Inter
Signing Milinkovic-Savic would be a great move for you guys. He is a tremendous talent. His defensive abilities are overrated; he's really not that good defensively. He's also not particularly fast. But he's a creative force, quite strong, and a great passer. He could easily score 10+ goals playing behind your strikers.

Lazio are a notoriously difficult club to negotiate with. They do quite well financially given that they are not just a football club, but a sporting club. You can count on one hand the number of times they have sold a player for less than their desired price.

They sold Felipe Anderson, who was essentially a bust in Serie A, for 40 million. They sold Keita Balde to Monaco for 30 and he has been awful. They sold Lucas Biglia to Milan for 20 where he looks like he's ready for retirement. If Claudio Lotitio says he wants 100 million Euros for someone, he's not kidding. Buyer beware.

nonetheless

Supports
Juve
I like Milinkovic a lot but that prize was totally undeserved last season, no way he has been the best midfielder in serie A nor one of the top three, while he was hands down 2 seasons ago.

If Pogba leaves, you could not find a better player with those characteristics IMO

Sparky Rhiwabon

If you were going to play Pogba and Milinkovic-Savic in the same team, Pogba would be the one playing in Herrera’s position behind Milinkovic-Savic.
We've already tried that with Pogba and it doesn't work. Surely Savic only comes if Pogba is going.

izec

This does slightly worry me.
Woody staying back in the UK surely means we have a lot of work to do on the market :) No coincidence all these links pop up now that Woody decided enough is enough with one deal at a time :D

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Woody staying back in the UK surely means we have a lot of work to do on the market :) No coincidence all these links pop up now that Woody decided enough is enough with one deal at a time :D
It's like the end game for him. Going to be a mad few weeks if even half of it's true.

romufc

We have been linked with 4 players not at £70m. Bruno, Maguire been going on for the whole window, Sergej last few weeks and pepe was initially mentioned early doors and now again.

I for one don't believe in anything, Ed has no clue what he is doing this window.