Sergio Aguero

Nanison

It's obviously Liverpool that has made a bid for him.

On the other hand 80 million for Ronaldo must guarantee us enough money to buy both Berbatov and Kun. The team would be equally good if not better with both of them

twitter thread suggester
It's obviously Liverpool that has made a bid for him.
They gave up on Villa because of the asking price, then what makes you think they'd make a bit for Aguero who's undoubtedly more expensive than Villa?

Red17

Don't think it is us that is looking to sign him. Somehow asking his agent to present the offer/ proposal to Atletico doesn't sound like our style. We'd be more likely to make an outright bid. Actually, sounds more like Pool's approach though I'm hard pressed to think where their money is coming from...

Younited.7

united.7
"I am a man with simple tastes - I am always
My personal opinion on the matter is:

Our original policy, before Ronaldogate, was to sign a striker with experience, as stated by Fergus. Berbatov is clearly the front-runner, i have to say that apart from a quick chase and rebuff by Lyon (for Benzema), he has always been the striker most likely to be signing this summer.

Now, i don't know how substantiated these reports are, but Ronaldo has burnt his bridges - there is very little way of him returning to the club after such a blatant disregard for his contractual agreements, Fergie won't have a player compromising the club in this way. Some might say that Fergie has never sold a player that he didn't want to sell, you are correct, but when was the last time he let a player get bigger than the club?

He has never, and will never.

At the end of the day, if Ronaldo leaves, we can directly replace him with a winger. The only problem is that there aren't any wingers in the same talent bracket as him, well, apart from Ribery, who would be bound to cost in excess of £40 million - hmmm. However, Aguero has comparable talent/potential as that feckcunt Ronaldo, and even though he prefers to play in a similar position to Tevez and Rooney, i think that he could more than effectively play on the same pitch with both of them.

He isn't an out-and-out winger, nor was Ronaldo last season, but he has the speed and skill to beat men and put defences on the back foot. Couple this with Rooney, Tevez and very possibly Berbatov and you have a hard-working, skillful attacking unit that has the variation of talents to absolutely rip teams apart. Ronaldo was fantastic last season, brilliant, but he scored goals, and goals, he didn't provide in the way he did the season before. Those goals can easily be replaced, Tevez and Rooney have more in them, our new striker (Berbatov) will, and if Aguero were to come i would expect that he will.

Jens' Face

An Arse
Your idea that stories building up on newsnow must mean a signing is on the way just strikes me as pretty poor muppetry.
really? it strikes me as muppetry of the highest caliber

(just joking around, rahul)

I' ve seen Aguero play for Atletico Madrid a few times just to see what the hype was all about. To be honest, I've been very impressed. Althought he is very short (shorter than Rooney)and looks small, do not be deceived by his physical stature. In one La Liga match, he was taken out by a cynical Vinny Jones elbow to his face which left him with a fully bloodied face that refused to stop flowing. The outcome, Aguero played better than ever going into more heavy challenges without fear & KEPT ASKING FOR THE BALL.
absolutely. and that's what makes truly great players truly great
If we signed him, I'd have phone sex with every member of redcafe.
can you really afford that? a lot of international calls. you should get skype.

Younited.7

united.7
Something like this hinges on whether you believe Ronaldo is going.

I do, and i believe that there is time to replace him, whether it means that the Aguero rumours are true, i don't know. I think it would be silly to dismiss them considering the uncertain future of Ronaldo and the fact that he has stated a top European team has made a bid for him.

kps88

I really just think it was a case of his agent trying to hype him up and draw any potential suitors out in the open.

KeyserSoze

Batigol > Bauer
Would take a large fee do get this done anyway regardless of whether he fits in etc so something like this would likely be dependent on Ronaldo. Cant see it happening. I would prefer we persuade Batigol to come out of retirement, he still has 20 goals a season left in him. I swear it!

DaSPOT

on his face is caused by puberty
Would take a large fee do get this done anyway regardless of whether he fits in etc so something like this would likely be dependent on Ronaldo. Cant see it happening. I would prefer we persuade Batigol to come out of retirement, he still has 20 goals a season left in him. I swear it!
batigol could pass the ball into the back of the net from 30 yards out, he could also do tap-ins from 20 yards out...in all seriousness he could score goals for fun

AttackingFlair

In fairness, Aguero is an amazing player at 20 years of age. I'd be extremely excited if we signed him but I can't see it happening at the moment.

Lot 49

Doom
Imo replacing Ronaldo with Aguero would be a very clever move on Fergie's part. Although he doesn't play as a winger he's clearly got the pace and skill to excel in the role and it's not like Ronaldo is a traditional winger anyway.

I really don't think this is going to happen though.

scalisto

Agüero seems quite happy at Atlético and the club don't want to sell him as they're taking part in the Champion's League this next season. They also figure he'll mature and be worth much more in a couple of seasons.

Anyhow, if United or any other club can manage to lure el Kun then there's no need for his agent to talk to Atlético. All they have to do is pay the 55 million euro buy-out clause.

Kaiketsu_Zorro

Would you take Berbatov and Aguero for Ronaldo?
In a heartbeat. I'm fed up with the way Ronaldo has been acting all summer. Although not a natural winger, Aguero is the best available replacement, the boy has talent in abundance. And Berbatov is a magnificent striker, very intelligent. To have them both is like the wettest transfer dream and would make up for losing Ronaldo just fine.

RedRover

My personal opinion on the matter is:

Our original policy, before Ronaldogate, was to sign a striker with experience, as stated by Fergus. Berbatov is clearly the front-runner, i have to say that apart from a quick chase and rebuff by Lyon (for Benzema), he has always been the striker most likely to be signing this summer.

Now, i don't know how substantiated these reports are, but Ronaldo has burnt his bridges - there is very little way of him returning to the club after such a blatant disregard for his contractual agreements, Fergie won't have a player compromising the club in this way. Some might say that Fergie has never sold a player that he didn't want to sell, you are correct, but when was the last time he let a player get bigger than the club?

He has never, and will never.

At the end of the day, if Ronaldo leaves, we can directly replace him with a winger. The only problem is that there aren't any wingers in the same talent bracket as him, well, apart from Ribery, who would be bound to cost in excess of £40 million - hmmm. However, Aguero has comparable talent/potential as that feckcunt Ronaldo, and even though he prefers to play in a similar position to Tevez and Rooney, i think that he could more than effectively play on the same pitch with both of them.

He isn't an out-and-out winger, nor was Ronaldo last season, but he has the speed and skill to beat men and put defences on the back foot. Couple this with Rooney, Tevez and very possibly Berbatov and you have a hard-working, skillful attacking unit that has the variation of talents to absolutely rip teams apart. Ronaldo was fantastic last season, brilliant, but he scored goals, and goals, he didn't provide in the way he did the season before. Those goals can easily be replaced, Tevez and Rooney have more in them, our new striker (Berbatov) will, and if Aguero were to come i would expect that he will.
You can say what you like about how Fergie will react to Ronaldo - but he still hasn't softened his stance - he says that Ronaldo wont be sold this summer and I'm fairly certain he wont. Add that to the fact that he's out until October and its a racing certainty he'll be here next season.

Besides, Fergie rcognises what a gem he is. He'll sit down- and try to convince him to stay (while probably telling he he won't sell anyway). If Ronaldo still wants to go he'll leave next summer - on United's terms.

Goals are never "easily replaced" - especially not 40-odd of them. Very few players in the world (if any) could notch that many in teh PL.

Ronaldo will leave in teh next couple of years. I hope by that time nani has come on enough to fill the void - while he may never be as good as Ronaldo lets not forget that teh coaching staff at United made Ronaldo what he is.

Younited.7

united.7
In a heartbeat. I'm fed up with the way Ronaldo has been acting all summer. Although not a natural winger, Aguero is the best available replacement, the boy has talent in abundance. And Berbatov is a magnificent striker, very intelligent. To have them both is like the wettest transfer dream and would make up for losing Ronaldo just fine.
1 transfer down (apparently) and 2 to go.

I'm doubtful, but Aguero is one of the only people that could replace Ronaldo talent wise - even if we had to slightly alter the way we play.

Ekeke

Well that is irrelevant, we are signing Berbatov.

I won't question why, there is no point in delving into that one right here and right now.
There's still time for it to be confirmed as bullshit. Last week we were signing Huntelaar. Although it certainly seems more likely than signing Eto'o, if he ends up in the premiership next year I'm going to wonder what we're playing at.

Name Changed

weso26
Is there any chance of us actually signing him?

Unless things change dramatically, SAF will not sell Ronaldo anyway.

Younited.7

united.7
You can say what you like about how Fergie will react to Ronaldo - but he still hasn't softened his stance - he says that Ronaldo wont be sold this summer and I'm fairly certain he wont. Add that to the fact that he's out until October and its a racing certainty he'll be here next season.

Besides, Fergie rcognises what a gem he is. He'll sit down- and try to convince him to stay (while probably telling he he won't sell anyway). If Ronaldo still wants to go he'll leave next summer - on United's terms.

Goals are never "easily replaced" - especially not 40-odd of them. Very few players in the world (if any) could notch that many in teh PL.

Ronaldo will leave in teh next couple of years. I hope by that time nani has come on enough to fill the void - while he may never be as good as Ronaldo lets not forget that teh coaching staff at United made Ronaldo what he is.
I can see what you are saying, but nobody has so outwardly disrespected the club and Ferguson himself. And it is disrespect, there is no argument there. I don't think Ronaldo wants to come back, he has said enough now for me, us and them to conclude this. I don't think that if he returns it will be the romantic marriage of "squabbling" players it was before, he has probably quite upset some of the loyal, United loving players with the way he has toyed with Real. Any selfish action, badly timed dribble will be jumped on by our players, and after what he has said, how can you ever believe his head or his heart is in Manchester? I think that is very important when we are talking of team spirit, bonding and understanding. Remember, he has kept the players in the dark over this, they were sending messages to him before, i can't remember anything recently.

I''m not saying Berbatov will score 40 goals this season if he comes. Rooney should score more, his record was not that impressive this season and i would expect Tevez to score a similar amount or more. Maybe the midfield will chip in with a few more as well. It will help us having a fit centre forward though, this season Saha was almost completely absent, scoring very few goals.

I remember pundits and fans saying exactly the same things about Ruud after he was sold. In his last season we scored 72 goals, when he left we scored 83.

Name Changed

weso26
Ruud was a striker though. It's a huge bonus if your winger is banging in 40+ goals. There is no other player who could get close to that.

Younited.7

united.7
There's still time for it to be confirmed as bullshit. Last week we were signing Huntelaar. Although it certainly seems more likely than signing Eto'o, if he ends up in the premiership next year I'm going to wonder what we're playing at.
Eto'o is a wanker.

He is at one of the best clubs in the world and he has fought with team mates, refused to play and declared that he is leaving. That eclipses what Ronaldo is currently doing, no thanks, i think Fergie knows best and i have to say that i wouldn't want Eto'o playing for us, in the same way as i wouldn't want Drogba.

Ekeke

Eto'o is a wanker.

He is at one of the best clubs in the world and he has fought with team mates, refused to play and declared that he is leaving. That eclipses what Ronaldo is currently doing, no thanks, i think Fergie knows best and i have to say that i wouldn't want Eto'o playing for us, in the same way as i wouldn't want Drogba.
Which is all well and good if Eto'o moves to Milan or Inter or something. Perhaps the English clubs felt this way. However, what if he goes to Chelsea and leads them to the premiership? He's a better player than Berbatov, that distinction is clear in my mind, as well as being clearly a better replacement for Saha as he's a lot more like for like, only with improved finishing.

Kaiketsu_Zorro

1 transfer down (apparently)
Let's hope so. If we sign Berbatov we might as well not sign anyone else and I'd be happy, I think he'd complete our team for this year. But if Ronaldo leaves then Aguero would be an astonishing replacement. Let's see how things unfold.

Name Changed

weso26
I know, a bonus - not the sort of thing you want to rely on.

A centre forward would have shouldered the reponsibility of scoring many of those goals had he not been injured :rolleyes:
Ok. Just say Berbatov comes in and Ronaldo leaves. Berbatov won't be playing on the wing so a winger will be needed to replace Ronaldo. So another player will have to be dropped to accomodate Berbatov.

So it's not as easy as replace Ronaldo with Berbatov and Aguero for example because someone else will have to be dropped.

The fact is that 42 goals cannot really really be replaced. There is not a winger in the world who would score that, probably not even half.

Younited.7

united.7
Which is all well and good if Eto'o moves to Milan or Inter or something. Perhaps the English clubs felt this way. However, what if he goes to Chelsea and leads them to the premiership? He's a better player than Berbatov, that distinction is clear in my mind, as well as being clearly a better replacement for Saha as he's a lot more like for like, only with improved finishing.
If he goes to Chelsea, i won't be too displeased. Another sicknote with a childish temperament jumping on the gravy train won't win them trophies.

Well he isn't a better footballer, Berbatov relies on his touch, vision and skill far more than Eto'o - a speed merchant with fantastic agility and strength. Eto'o was pathetic against us and has not been half the player he was before his knee injury.

I think that we need somebody like Berbatov to release the best of Rooney and Tevez, look at the impact he had when partnered with Keane. Berbatov is a rarity, we should treasure his acquisition.