Sergio Reguilón

Status
Not open for further replies.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
If he wants to go back after 3 years, he will. Buy back clause or no buy back clause.

It’ll just be annoying if we reluctantly accept one for about 50m, which sounds like loads since we’re buying him for about 25, then he turns into one of Europe’s best full backs. At least in the first scenario we can name our price.

Fridge chutney

I can't imagine United would accept a buy-back clause. Right of first refusal makes more sense for us.

Tarrou

I don't think we'll accept the buy-back either but I don't think it's that bad if we do. It's not like we'll be developing the guy for Madrid, he's already reached a high level and will improve our squad.

It's almost like they'll be paying us to loan the guy for a couple of seasons. We get to plug a gap in the squad for a couple of years and make a tidy profit in the process, with plenty of time to scout other options.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Does he fit your requirements of a modern day full back?
I'd never heard of him before we played Sevilla in the Europa League semi-final. But the way Sevilla play with their fullbacks pushed up, it's a normal way of playing for all teams who adopt a proactive approach and Ole wants to adopt the same proactive, progressive game style. And that game style can't be achieved if your fullbacks struggle in the build up or struggle in combination play.

And from what I've read about him and saw off him in the game against us he looks promising and someone who could really enhance our squad/team potentially.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
If we are getting him and not end up getting Sancho, then we should invest in RWB and go 3-5-2 this season. We have enough depth to play 3 across midfield and Rashford and Martial can rotate with Greenwood and Igahlo. Also Thiago will make sense then and if we can get a backup striker or CB, I would be okay with not getting Sancho this summer

DevilRed

Because we want a LB too and there is very likely we won’t have any money left for that if we spend the Sancho money on Sancho?
I should hope not!

Signing Reguillon isn't going to cost much in the grand scheme of things (considering fullbacks were going for 50m), but knowing the financial situation, it might mean we won't have the necessary funds to sign Sancho.

Unless of course Smalling and Rojo are sold for decent money.

AneRu

I don't think we'll accept the buy-back either but I don't think it's that bad if we do. It's not like we'll be developing the guy for Madrid, he's already reached a high level and will improve our squad.

It's almost like they'll be paying us to loan the guy for a couple of seasons. We get to plug a gap in the squad for a couple of years and make a tidy profit in the process, with plenty of time to scout other options.
This, at least we get a competent player for a couple of years and make a profit if Real ever come calling. We should just push for it to kick in after a couple of seasons.

-Supreme-

Isn’t first refusal a bit pointless as the selling club would still set the price and decide if or when to sell?

At the end of the day it’s up to the player to decide where he wants to go after the selling club has accepted the offer.

It’s just a case of Real Madrid will simply get notified ahead of any potential sale.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Be nice to have a fullback who doesn't get a nosebleed on the edge of the opponents area. From the little I have seen of him he looks far better in attack than defence which I think is what we need. Shaw n AWB are perfectly fine defensively but neither offer enough in attack.

Kostov

Be nice to have a fullback who doesn't get a nosebleed on the edge of the opponents area. From the little I have seen of him he looks far better in attack than defence which I think is what we need. Shaw n AWB are perfectly fine defensively but neither offer enough in attack.
Means feck all if he is average in defense and a bit better in attack. I've not see much of him, but his stats don't look like someone who will offer enough in attack tbf.

dev1l

I presume it means if we decide to sell him then Real Madrid would have first refusal on purchasing the player ahead of all other potential suitors.
I think if we decide to sell we have to inform them about offers made that we are willing to accept

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Means feck all if he is average in defense and a bit better in attack. I've not see much of him, but his stats don't look like someone who will offer enough in attack tbf.
He isn't all that in attack, the Caf just want a new toy. They've seen some highlights of him puting in some crosses and they've automatically assumed that he's this beast attacking wise.

Not only is Shaw better defending which should be the most important aspect in a defender, he can also actually attack and join the build up forward unlike what some people want to believe in here. But because he isn't the greatest crosser and doesn't rack up assists at TAA's rate something neither Reguilon does(his assists numbers are similar to AWB by the way) Caf believes Shaw doesn't help our attack.

Some people don't even what they're asking for, they're just giddy hearing a new name(a name they didn't know 2 months ago).

I agree we should look to getting this guy but that's because of Shaw's unreliable fitness record but those claiming he's better than Shaw are a hilarious bunch.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

Where there is smoke there is...
I'm somehow more excited about this transfer. We have decent shot at a good player at a very decent price (just like VDB), in a position that we need much improvement (imho).

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
It means a lot. We don't need two defensive left backs. Shaw is better defensively than he is in attack. If this lad can offer more going forwards it will offer us a nice balance.

Teams who are trying to get back into title contention need options. Our fullbacks are defenders and not much else. Look at the big teams around Europe and their fullbacks are like wingers. We've been left behind.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
8 goal contributions last year isn't too shabby at all. I mean it's not TAA/Robertson level, but a) not much is and b) he's only really played a season and a half of high level football.

I mean, it's the same as Shaw and AWB combined for last year.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
It means a lot. We don't need two defensive left backs. Shaw is better defensively than he is in attack. If this lad can offer more going forwards it will offer us a nice balance.

Teams who are trying to get back into title contention need options. Our fullbacks are defenders and not much else. Look at the big teams around Europe and their fullbacks are like wingers. We've been left behind.
Two dominating teams in the League have both attacking FB. And our rival just spent 50m on attacking FB. Our most successful era when we had at least one attacking FB.

And you have some in here questioning the need for ONE attacking FB in the team. Laughable.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Two dominating teams in the League have both attacking FB. And our rival just spent 50m on attacking FB. Our most successful era when we had at least one attacking FB.

And you have some in here questioning the need for ONE attacking FB in the team. Laughable.
Exactly. City, Liverpool, Bayern, Barca, Juve, Dortmund etc all have at least one flying fullback.

The game has moved on and fullbacks are almost your new wingers and we didn't get the memo it seems.

Salah n Mane don't put the crosses in for Liverpool. They leave that to the fullbacks mainly.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
If he wants to go back after 3 years, he will. Buy back clause or no buy back clause.

It’ll just be annoying if we reluctantly accept one for about 50m, which sounds like loads since we’re buying him for about 25, then he turns into one of Europe’s best full backs. At least in the first scenario we can name our price.
Well unless he runs his contract down and leaves on a free....

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He isn't all that in attack, the Caf just want a new toy. They've seen some highlights of him puting in some crosses and they've automatically assumed that he's this beast attacking wise.

Not only is Shaw better defending which should be the most important aspect in a defender, he can also actually attack and join the build up forward unlike what some people want to believe in here. But because he isn't the greatest crosser and doesn't rack up assists at TAA's rate something neither Reguilon does(his assists numbers are similar to AWB by the way) Caf believes Shaw doesn't help our attack.

Some people don't even what they're asking for, they're just giddy hearing a new name(a name they didn't know 2 months ago).

I agree we should look to getting this guy but that's because of Shaw's unreliable fitness record but those claiming he's better than Shaw are a hilarious bunch.
Why do you always go on and on about ManUtd fans just because they have different opinion? Didn't you ask how good he was in the attack just few hours ago? Now all of a sudden you are offering expert analysis, doing exactly what you are accusing others of but in opposite direction.

Just because his numbers are not close to TAA doesn't mean he isn't good attacker, TAA is at different level.

Reguilon xA per 90 mins was 0.15
AWB - 0.1
Shaw - 0.07

From open play, his xA per 90 mins is 0.14.
Robertson - 0.18
Digne - 0.12 (Picked these 2 as they are the best attacking LBs in the league)

There are so many other stats in fbref site, if you analyse, you can see what Reguilon might offer us in the attack.

Obviously I wouldn't say he is better than Shaw but if we have both then both should play at high level to bench the other player, which would help us. Sometimes I fee people forget what good squad means and how good our squad used to be.

Maybe if we ask Madrid or Sevilla fans, they will say same thing that anyone saying Shaw is better than Reguilon is deluded. Btw not saying they will, there are chances as they watched the player and rate him highly.

reelworld

Exactly. City, Liverpool, Bayern, Barca, Juve, Dortmund etc all have at least one flying fullback.

The game has moved on and fullbacks are almost your new wingers and we didn't get the memo it seems.

Salah n Mane don't put the crosses in for Liverpool. They leave that to the fullbacks mainly.
Which is ironic given that Ferguson's team, especially in his later years have already adopt this. Evra, Fabio, Rafael both can act as wingers and even play there a few times

OverratedOpinion

Isn’t first refusal a bit pointless as the selling club would still set the price and decide if or when to sell?

At the end of the day it’s up to the player to decide where he wants to go after the selling club has accepted the offer.

It’s just a case of Real Madrid will simply get notified ahead of any potential sale.
I swear clauses like that are often only thrown in to reduce the backlash from fans who like the player being sold.

RoyH1

Then why are Madrid happy to lose him and why can’t he challenge to get the a slot in their team?
Because Zidane loves his veteran pretorian guard (Marcelo, Benzema, Modric, Ramos etc..) and really likes Mendy. So Marcelo and Mendy make it difficult for Reguilón to have a game.

It seems to me sometimes that Zidane and Madrid's sport directors want different things and work at cross purposes with each other. Every now and again they seem to thrown Zidane an expensive bone a la Hazard, but they really do their own thing. They might want to keep Reguilón in the loop for when/if Zidane is fired at one point.

Kostov

8 goal contributions last year isn't too shabby at all. I mean it's not TAA/Robertson level, but a) not much is and b) he's only really played a season and a half of high level football.

I mean, it's the same as Shaw and AWB combined for last year.
How many assist he has compared to Shaw in how much playing time?

SATA

Madrid fans rate him and do not really want him to leave. I think that's enough to say that he will be a good signing. Whether he translates his Sevilla form to here we can't really know yet

Kostov

We also don’t need another fullback who is average in attack imo. If we bring someone he should be top attacking fullback, this guy has 2 more assists than Shaw in +500 minutes played.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
We also don’t need another fullback who is average in attack imo. If we bring someone he should be top attacking fullback, this guy has 2 more assists than Shaw in +500 minutes played.
You have to look at who he is feeding. De Jong and Co, despite knocking us out, aren't quite as good as our forward line are they?

He was named best left back in La liga last season. When was the last time we had a fullback in the PL best 11?

Status
Not open for further replies.